hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Do you agree with this newspaper article?

Hi folks, first post and probably a controversial one. I'm English, but a Hibby, so don't be too hard on me!

What I'd like to know is how many on here agree with this article I read by a Scottish journalist in the Sunday papers? It pretty much sums up how I feel about the whole Scotland/England thing and it's always saddened me a bit that so many Scots seem to get so pent up about it as I've always been happy to see Scotland do well (although admittedly it's a long time since they did so )

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...l-wayne-rooney
    Last edited by Vince White; 16-03-2010 at 02:53 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Scots support England?political correctness gone mad
    Remember Bannockburn, whaes like us etc etc

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    Slovakia for me and ABE!

You just don't get it Vince, if you were Scottish you would and hope your next poo is a headghog!! non the Yanks!
    Last edited by scott7_0(Prague); 16-03-2010 at 08:36 AM.

What really annoys me is the attitude of Scottish people supporting England.

They love to come across better than everyone and belittle anyone who decides not to support England, calling them racists, small-minded or xenophobic.

It's football rivalry. Are the Dutch and Germans racists for their rivalry? USA and Canada? China and Japan?

I want England gubbed, 20% for their media and 80% for the "oh look at me supporting England, how much of a better person am I?" attitude of Scottish people who want them to do well.

Edit - Remembering Lineker, Shearer, Ian Wright, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson, I'd like to change that % to 99.9% media, and 0.1% of the Scottish uber fannies.
    Last edited by Hainan Hibs; 16-03-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Left by mutual consent!

Question

If Scotland weren't so ***** would folk still want England to get humped

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    FFS! The day I get upset about a bit of England/Scotland banter is the day I'll pack up and move back to Liverpool. I wouldn't have it any other way.

And before anyone try to says it's not just banter it's racist etc don't even bother.

ENGERLAND ENGERLAND ENGERLAND

@hibs.net private member Sudds_1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

They love to come across better than everyone and belittle anyone who decides not to support England, calling them racists, small-minded or xenophobic.

It's football rivalry. Are the Dutch and Germans racists for their rivalry? USA and Canada? China and Japan?

I want England gubbed, 20% for their media and 80% for the "oh look at me supporting England, how much of a better person am I?" attitude of Scottish people who want them to do well.

Edit - Remembering Lineker, Shearer, Ian Wright, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson, I'd like to change that % to 99.9% media, and 0.1% of the Scottish uber fannies.
    Actually, my reasons for wanting them to bomb are largely because of their "meeja".......so 90% media and 5% people 5% players (many of whom are so up themselves they risk rape charges against themselves.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game

First Team Breakthrough If Only's Avatar

Edit - Remembering Lineker, Shearer, Ian Wright, Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson, I'd like to change that % to 99.9% media, and 1% of the Scottish uber fannies.
    And your attitude is spot on then, how on earth do you know or understand why anyone born in Scotland would want England to do well. You have an opinion whether its right or wrong but why do you have to disrespect other people for what they believe in.

@hibs.net private member
    I will cheer England on the day I see English fans cheering Germany.

@hibs.net private member
    If I have a bet on England, then I will be wanting them to win.

I don't want them to win, same time though couldn't care less if they do. They do have every chance this year though with the best player in the world just now at their disposal in Wayne Rooney, must admit to having a soft spot for Rooney, fantastic player/lad.

Scotland-England banter is often good, what I don't get though is some TA bawbags refusing to listen to the New Order and eat Mars bars after their 'involvement' with England, saddo's

The whole anti English thing is a tad embarrassing though, England generally couldn't care less about Scotland, was infact talking to a few scousers saying the whole pub was cheering on Scotland against Holland last year, Scotland on the other hand..... Reeks of bitterness and jealousy from the Jocks behalf.

A tiny bit in me actually wants England to win just to get it up the scottish skirt wearers
    Last edited by Antifa Hibs; 16-03-2010 at 08:59 AM.

a) They love to come across better than everyone and belittle anyone who decideds not to support England, calling them racists, small-minded or xenophobic.

b) I want England gubbed, 20% for their media and 80% for the "oh look at me supporting England, how much of a better person am I?" attitude of Scottish people who want them to do well.
    a) Sorry, that's just nonsense - why shouldn't Scottish people support England, Wales or N.Ireland (unless against Scotland of course)? The chip on both your shoulders is your problem - indeed Scotland's problem. It seems to be the only way you can define your "Scottishness" is by your pronounced dislike of anything English. Is that best Scotland can muster? Not much is it? It reeks of inferiority complex, is highly "embarrassing and depressing", and of course it's racist if it is directed at at the English team for no reason other than it's the "English" team. The definition of the word "racist" is quite clear: so why continually dispute it? Communication gets somewhat difficult if we all make up our own definitions, surely?

Anyway, I'll be supporting England in the WC - not because I'm superior or a better person, but just because they're the only British team there - a good enough reason for me! Don't bother replying - I know your answer already, fair enough - we disagree. I'm out of here.

I have found that since leaving europe for the south pacific I have become a lot more laid back about the anti England thing, not having to listen to or watch john motson or jimmy hill helps a lot, but you also find you have more in common with other europeans than you realised while living there. Having said that even as a kiwi I'll be supporting the ozzies against the english, don't hate the poms but still pissed off about the media (ungerlund are the only team ever to merit a mention) bias in the UK, & also got a bet going with a pommie mate that if ungerlund get to the final I've got to wear an ungerlund shirt in public. Come on the all whites!!!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Since Scotland aren't involved I'm not particularly fussed who does well. I'm not going to support England, but then I'm not going to actively support anyone anyway.

Promising Youngster Hibee-Rocker's Avatar
    Dont really get supporting anyone when Scotland's not there, it's like supporting someone else when Hibs get knocked out the cup, no gonna happen, I will watch and enjoy the World Cup, but couldn't give a rats ass who win's.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davemcbain View Post
    I will cheer England on the day I see English fans cheering Germany.
    I'll do that for you if Scotland ever get to play them in the last 32 of the World Cup (unlikely I know).

i will stick with the abe it would be like asking me to support heart in a game its just a stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by peejay View Post
    a) sorry, that's just nonsense - why shouldn't scottish people support england, wales or n.ireland (unless against scotland of course)? The chip on both your shoulders is your problem - indeed scotland's problem. It seems to be the only way you can define your "scottishness" is by your pronounced dislike of anything english. Is that best scotland can muster? Not much is it? It reeks of inferiority complex, is highly "embarrassing and depressing", and of course it's racist if it is directed at at the english team for no reason other than it's the "english" team. The definition of the word "racist" is quite clear: So why continually dispute it? Communication gets somewhat difficult if we all make up our own definitions, surely?

Anyway, i'll be supporting england in the wc - not because i'm superior or a better person, but just because they're the only british team there - a good enough reason for me! Don't bother replying - i know your answer already, fair enough - we disagree. I'm out of here.
    well said !!

First Team Breakthrough maximushibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: maximushardonas
    ONLY SUPPORT THREE TEAMS IN THE WORLD HIBS, SCOTLAND AND ANY TEAM THAT PLAYS ENGERLAND HAHAHA

My view is that I have many English friends but arrogance from them and the media is at an all time high just now, just turn up and we will win attitude, remember this they wouldn't cross the road to watch, support or even talk about Scottish football (or any Scottish sport for that matter) so there is no way in hell I want them to win at anything, I despise Motson and for sure he wouldn't walk past me in the street!, I like Capello and think he is probably in the top 4 best football managers in the world but also remember this, it gets right up some English ex-players and pundits noses that he's an Italian (or Johnny Foreigner as they like to call them) and the fact that there will never be another Englishman to manage the national team again, and THAT is what bugs them most of all.

ABE!

1966 changed the world, I'm afraid.
    Pre-1966 England were simply 'the auld enemy' - our greatest rivals.
    Post-1966 the Scottish people have had to put up with the English media trying to talk up England into a world power in football - which they're not and aint been since the days that Scotland were also a 'world power'.

Credit to England for stumbling through 6 games at Wembley to win the World Cup, but that was in an era when Scotland may well have achieved the same at Hampden - Scotland were certainly more than good enough to humiliate England at Wembley in 1967.

In recent years Scotland has become a relative backwater in football terms and England has held station, England are at least still good enough to qualify for finals, but they won't be winning anything again until those finals are again played in England. The English media will not accept that and Scots will continue to have to suffer their misplaced superiority complex.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    a) Sorry, that's just nonsense - why shouldn't Scottish people support England, Wales or N.Ireland (unless against Scotland of course)? The chip on both your shoulders is your problem - indeed Scotland's problem. It seems to be the only way you can define your "Scottishness" is by your pronounced dislike of anything English. Is that best Scotland can muster? Not much is it? It reeks of inferiority complex, is highly "embarrassing and depressing", and of course it's racist if it is directed at at the English team for no reason other than it's the "English" team. The definition of the word "racist" is quite clear: so why continually dispute it? Communication gets somewhat difficult if we all make up our own definitions, surely?

Anyway, I'll be supporting England in the WC - not because I'm superior or a better person, but just because they're the only British team there - a good enough reason for me! Don't bother replying - I know your answer already, fair enough - we disagree. I'm out of here.
    I've neber heard so much ****** in all my life. I don't hate England but i certainly don't want them to win anything. If Hearts were the only British team left in a european competition (unlikely i know ) would you be supporting them. I think not, same goes here they're our rivals FFS

ABS

No way on earth i'd support England.

Coaching Staff
    It's all about rivalry and it's natural to want nothing but bad things for your rivals.

Anyone talking about racism needs to take their head out their erse!

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    1966 changed the world, I'm afraid.
    Pre-1966 England were simply 'the auld enemy' - our greatest rivals.
    Post-1966 the Scottish people have had to put up with the English media trying to talk up England into a world power in football - which they're not and aint been since the days that Scotland were also a 'world power'.

Credit to England for stumbling through 6 games at Wembley to win the World Cup, but that was in an era when Scotland may well have achieved the same at Hampden - Scotland were certainly more than good enough to humiliate England at Wembley in 1967.

In recent years Scotland has become a relative backwater in football terms and England has held station, England are at least still good enough to qualify for finals, but they won't be winning anything again until those finals are again played in England. The English media will not accept that and Scots will continue to have to suffer their misplaced superiority complex.
    well said, personally my dislike is for the ungerlund meeja not the average england fan who has the same right to support their team as we do, BUT they don't have to live with meeja erseholes telling them that ungerlund must win the world cup because...well because they're ungerlund and johnny foreigner can't beat them because we're unglish & we invented it, 1966 etc. I have complete respect for english fans supporting their team but absolutely no time or respect for media muppets who assume Scots, Welsh & n.Irish must want ungerlund to win.

Quote Originally Posted by PansHibs View Post
    I've neber heard so much ****** in all my life. I don't hate England but i certainly don't want them to win anything. If Hearts were the only British team left in a european competition (unlikely i know ) would you be supporting them. I think not, same goes here they're our rivals FFS
    What if Hearts were playing an English team?

Personally when Hearts played Bayern a few years back I almost actually did want Hearts to sort of win - cause I want any team that plays Bayern Munich to win - of course that's not a racist thing

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    Not so sure - Scotland beat England to become World Champions in 1967 to only lose their next home game at Hampden to the mighty whoever they were - didn't matter of course because it wasn't England. IMO we would only ever have won the Word Cup in 1966 - at Hampden - if we had been playing England all the time, if it anyone else we probably wouldn't have turned up - not for six games in a row: no way.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

Would England fans want Germany to beat Brazil in a WC Final? They should support our European friends and neighbours.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I'll do that for you if Scotland ever get to play them in the last 32 of the World Cup (unlikely I know).
    Now you're just being silly - Scotland in the last 32??????

PS I'm not in the ABE camp. I like/dislike England no more or less than any other team I don't follow.

Excellent post.