hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Is Yogi a good manager? (MERGED)

I was speaking to a St johnstone fan today and he thinks Yogi isnt a very good manager and that the team isnt great. I immediately told him he was an erse but he then said: -

"You are playing the same football now as you did under Mixu, the only reason you got good performances at the start of the season as it was an effect of a new manager coming in, like what happens at every team."

I still told him he was an erse, but it did make me think whether the team is maybe very average and that the effort etc was only because a new manager arrived. Also, is Yogi showing a lot of signs of being out his depth or inexperience by the continual bad performances?

IMO, I think the team isnt that great, I think that Yogi is and will be a good manager but is perhaps a little inexperienced.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member

I'm Coming Out (With My Feelings About Yogi)

Sorry guys. I have misgivings about the guy.

I think he

a) Talks tosh at interviews and frequently contradicts himself.
    b) Spent most of the match against St Johnstone joking with the players on his bench (too matey with the players).
    c) Is tactically questionable.
    d) With the help of Petrie - has the best squad outside the OF and does not look likely guide it to 3rd place.
    e) Appears oblivious to the lack of a physical presence in Hibs midfield (why not push Bamba into Midfield and let Hanlon do CHalf?)
    f) Had a mid table squad at Falkirk and barely kept them in the league.

Sorry, but I think Hibs have peaked with Yogi.

I admit I have never been a big fan, but I believe Hibs will struggle to claim what should be a regular 3rd place berth under him.

I await slaughter.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I think he

b) Spent most of the match against St Johnstone joking with the players on his bench (too matey with the players).
    d) With the help of Petrie - has the best squad outside the OF and does not look likely guide it to 3rd place.
    e) Had a mid table squad at Falkirk and barely kept them in the league.

I admit I have never been a big fan, but I believe Hibs will struggle to claim what should be a regular 3rd place berth under him.

I await slaughter.
    The joking with the players is a problem IMO, all the best managers out there keep a bit of distance from getting to friendly with them. I disagree with the current squad of players being the best outside the OF, I think Dundee Utd have a better squad, we maybe have better a couple of better players than them but thats it.

Falkirk dont have an mid table squad, Eddie May found this out and Steven Pressley probably now knows this.

The joking part and being to friendly is where he will have problems, it will be difficult to stamp authority and give them the kick up the backside. He may even find it difficult to leave players out for a while or moce players on.

Testimonial Due
    Your pal is right and you are on day release from the circus.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    I was speaking to a St johnstone fan today and he thinks Yogi isnt a very good manager and that the team isnt great. I immediately told him he was an erse but he then said: -

"You are playing the same football now as you did under Mixu, the only reason you got good performances at the start of the season as it was an effect of a new manager coming in, like what happens at every team."

I still told him he was an erse, but it did make me think whether the team is maybe very average and that the effort etc was only because a new manager arrived. Also, is Yogi showing a lot of signs of being out his depth or inexperience by the continual bad performances?

IMO, I think the team isnt that great, I think that Yogi is and will be a good manager but is perhaps a little inexperienced.
    Two points from me - the bit in bold - I can actually see where your mate is coming from. Mixu had three good strikers at his disposal - Fletcher, Nish and Riordan. IMHO, Mixu's biggest problem was that he didn't realise that the overall balance of the team was scunnered when the three of them played.

At the moment, Yogi is persisting with playing them (though it's Stokes, rather than Fletcher). The problem is, as it was last season, that the midfield cannot operate effectively when it's effecively relying on 2 men - Miller and McBride. Last season it was Bamba that held it together.

I've said elsewhere that in Riordan, we have at the moment a very limited left midfielder who can occassionally batter in spectacular goals. We need him up front, IMHO. Having a limited left side asks too much of the central players, and leaves them totally over-run.

My second point is that I think Yogi is a good manager, who will go on to be an even better manager. What we are seeing is a team being built - Yogi's said it will take time and that's how it's shaping up. He'll move players on in the summer and bring others in. Few could argue that the personel we have at the club at the moment are not an improvement on those here last season.

He has work to do, and the main issue that he has identified is about addressing the culture and the behaviours and attitudes of the players. That cannot be fixed overnight. It's a job that requires time, patience, and lots of hard work.

I have every faith that he'll continue to improve Hibs.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!

any chance yogi now being found out?

Coaching Staff
    I think what I'll do is wait until next week until I come back on here!

I await slaughter.
    I respect honest opinions, so there will be no slating from me. I commented in another post that Hughes is perhaps too friendly and not ruthless enough with non-triers and shirkers. He does appear to be at a loss to address the glaring weaknesses you highlighted. It would appear to be tunnel vision. Too often under Mixu we were over-run in midfield and we are again witnessing the same. The bottom line is that there is a definite lack of fight and resolve and Yogi can be as angry as he wants, but appears incapable of changing things and instilling the mentality required.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 13-03-2010 at 05:52 PM.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I was speaking to a St johnstone fan today .

Big mistake
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

But on another thread Yogi gives the players too much abuse seemingly

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Time will tell if Yogi proves to be a great Hibs manager but one thing we all know already is that he's a stubborn git and hopefully one day he WILL learn that we don't have to play with three "strikers".

I think he

e) Appears oblivious to the lack of a physical presence in Hibs midfield (why not push Bamba into Midfield and let Hanlon do CHalf?)

I await slaughter.
    Not really, he had a poor squad that is now sinking without trace back to Division 1, he done well to keep them up as long as he did and bar last season they were always floating around mid table fairly comfortably.

Things are looking a tad ropey now and whilst I see where you are coming from it's unfair to have this during his first serious blip. We've been overated all seaon imo performance wise but he's managed to get us a lot of results in matches we'd usually get nowt.

If he can drag is in to a Europa League spot at the end of the season, which he should, then the on field strengthening can continue and the last few bits of deadwood can be cleared out in the summer.

Things may be a bit grim just now but periods like this are always going to come during a season.

@hibs.net private member

I think yout St J pal has a point.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar

I think he

I await slaughter.
    I don't agree with all your points but the one in particular I do agree is with regards to his tactics. We were lucky early in the season and got some breaks without being particulary impressive, Now teams know how to play us, and Hughes doesnt appear to know how to change things.

Im worried he still wont learn from this and we'll be taken apart by Hearts wide players on Saturday and knocked out next week in the replay.

Left by mutual consent!
    His inability to act on a glaring problem is my dislike. Midfield didnt have a ball winner amongst them + Hogg was dreadful at the back. OK so Thicot is obviously on the way out but he could have added a bit of steel. He needs to address the right back area before Wotherspoon's talent is destroyed. Bamba, Murray or Thicot must go into midfield. I fear for us next week.

is Yogi showing a lot of signs of being out his depth or inexperience by the continual bad performances?
    Some fair points here. I think Yogi has enough experience and is certainly not out of his depth. He served his apprenticeship with Falkirk end of. He is of course still learning and liable to make tactical mistakes (ie St.Johnstone) and he is finding out very quickly his own limitations. He is aware that the collective resolve and mentality he seeks is not there. Doing something about it is one of his greatest challenges. His biggest battle is drafting in players to replace the shirkers and non-commited, as well as try to instill passion and fight into his present charges.

He's too one dimensional to be a top manager - lacks subtlety, variation and insight. Drives the team by shouting, moaning and rebel-rousing. Problem with that is - if that fails - where do you go after that ???

Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    Not really, he had a poor squad that is now sinking without trace back to Division 1, he done well to keep them up as long as he did and bar last season they were always floating around mid table fairly comfortably.

Things are looking a tad ropey now and whilst I see where you are coming from it's unfair to have this during his first serious blip. We've been overated all seaon imo performance wise but he's managed to get us a lot of results in matches we'd usually get nowt.

If he can drag is in to a Europa League spot at the end of the season, which he should, then the on field strengthening can continue and the last few bits of deadwood can be cleared out in the summer.

Things may be a bit grim just now but periods like this are always going to come during a season.
    On your bus with all of that.

Also think that Motherwell will likely hit a less purple patch this season at some point and drop more points than us - likewise Dundee Utd. For that reason, we're still in our crap phase which we will hopefully improve on, I think we're still favourites for 3rd.

Yogi has got us further ahead than we thought we'd be by this point so instead of thinking that's our 'real' position/level and getting ahead of ourselves, we should be seeing it as a better starting point to 'dig in' from for phase 2 of the rebuilding after Mixu...

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Only on here and only Hibs fans could you read such drivel, not even 8 months into his tenure and dispite still being very much in the hunt for 3rd place and in the draw for the semi final of the cup could we get fools trying to say that we have peaked, what exactly is it that people expect of this club?
    Maybe a wee dose of humility and reality of where we have come from before coming on here.
    I honestly believe some on here are just never happy until they are moani
    f and giving their wisdom on how to turn us into Arsenal or Man Utd

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    He's too one dimensional to be a top manager - lacks subtlety, variation and insight. Drives the team by shouting, moaning and rebel-rousing. Problem with that is - if that fails - where do you go after that ???
    I agree. That's what I meant to say.

I think he

I await slaughter.
    Spot on. You just have to look at the spine of the team today, for "our most important game of the season" which includes Hogg, Rankin and Nish to tell you that Yogi can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Maybe we're about to find out. I think he dodged a bullet today.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Only on here and only Hibs fans could you read such drivel, not even 8 months into his tenure and dispite still being very much in the hunt for 3rd place and in the draw for the semi final of the cup could we get fools trying to say that we have peaked, what exactly is it that people expect of this club?
    Maybe a wee dose of humility and reality of where we have come from before coming on here.
    I honestly believe some on here are just never happy until they are moani
    f and giving their wisdom on how to turn us into Arsenal or Man Utd
    I defy anyone who watched that today to defend the manager/team. Fair enough we are not man u but that was not acceptable. Surely the minimum we deserve is pure graft.

Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    I defy anyone who watched that today to defend the manager/team. Fair enough we are not man u but that was not acceptable. Surely the minimum we deserve is pure graft.
    Fair do's. I've not been to a game since the 2-2 draw with Aberdeen but am back in Scotland for a few weeks tomorrow so will be at a few games then where I can judge properly, it has sounded pretty honking since the 2nd half of the hun game.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Yogis antics at full time today may have been for the supporters benefit but it was very unprofessional. Any slanging match should be held behind closed doors.

One thing is for certain this will be a huge test for Yogi.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Yogis antics at full time today may have been for the supporters benefit but it was very unprofessional. Any slanging match should be held behind closed doors.
    Totally agree with this i mean what does this do for our players, just wish our team showed the same kind of fighting spirit to win these games.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Yogi needs two seasons to prove himself. Mixu got his, was found out, and he was emptied. We're not Queen's Park Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawr.rar View Post
    Yogi needs two seasons to prove himself. Mixu got his, was found out, and he was emptied. We're not Queen's Park Rangers.
    Yogi has had more funds than Mixu, there is no doubt we have some real talent and good prospects but Yogi doesn't know how to get the best out of them. Dont get me wrong we were completely dire under Mixu, what is worrying is we seem to going back to it.

I concur with the Saintee.

The games I have seen this season have been tactical car crashes.

The formation isn't working - and Yogi doesn't seem to see it!