hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Another minutes' applause...

That's about 40% of the 45-odd games I have been to this season with a minutes' applause or silence.

It's getting out of hand now. Should we just have it before every game now? Someone somewhere with a tenuous connection to either playing club will have died, no?

Done to death. No pun intended.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Perhaps you should have had a minutes quiet reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyMiller View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Perhaps you should have had a minutes quiet reflection.
    I get that every day.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
    That's about 40% of the 45-odd games I have been to this season with a minutes' applause or silence.

It's getting out of hand now. Should we just have it before every game now? Someone somewhere with a tenuous connection to either playing club will have died, no?

this might not be popular, but i know what you mean - just about half the games you see the players are wearing black arm-bands. i literally think that they wear them more often than they don't (could be very wrong there, but it seems like it), which takes the meaning out of it really.

Better this than some numpties spoiling the silence .

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar

You are kidding, right?

A former manager of the club dies and that shouldn't be marked???

Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Better this than some numpties spoiling the silence .
    Oh, it's 'better' than the silence in terms of 'less wreckable' but it's becoming totally unecessary, the frequency of this... Literally every other week now.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Oh, it's 'better' than the silence in terms of 'less wreckable' but it's becoming totally unecessary, the frequency of this... Literally every other week now.
    I'm sure everyone would prefer NOT to have to do it but then you can't actually predict when your or anyone else's time on earth is up eh!

I'm sure we'd all rather that such as Alan Gordon, Bobby Smith & Willie MacFarlane were all still with us and there had been no need for applause.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    You are kidding, right?

A former manager of the club dies and that shouldn't be marked???

Some are more deserving than others. I think the number of tributes we have is devaluing the whole thing.

Just waiting for someone to propose the new stand being named after Willie McFarlane (RIP).

Folk are asked to give one minute's respect to ex-players or managers and still some are moaning......

How about we introduce a points system?

1 for each game played
    1 for each game managed
    10 for winning POTY or MOTY
    100 for winning a non-SC trophy
    200 for winning the SC or being Stanton/Reilly/Sauzee/Turnbull

Anyone over 200 points gets some applause.

Will that make everyone happy?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    If it's that big a deal, wait until it's over and then go in.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Folk are asked to give one minute's respect to ex-players or managers and still some are moaning......

How about we introduce a points system?

1 for each game played
    1 for each game managed
    10 for winning POTY or MOTY
    100 for winning a non-SC trophy
    200 for winning the SC or being Stanton/Reilly/Sauzee/Turnbull

Anyone over 200 points gets some applause.

Will that make everyone happy?
    If it's an alternative to devaluing the meaning of the tribute the it's a start. Our flag is at half mast more often than some bowling clubs.

Let's get death back into perspective. Tragic as it is for the person's family, it is a fact of life, and I think we are making too much out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    Some are more deserving than others. I think the number of tributes we have is devaluing the whole thing.

Just waiting for someone to propose the new stand being named after Willie McFarlane (RIP).
    When in the distant future bobby williamson passes on will there be a minutes silence/applause?

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    If it's an alternative to devaluing the meaning of the tribute the it's a start. Our flag is at half mast more often than some bowling clubs.

Let's get death back into perspective. Tragic as it is for the person's family, it is a fact of life, and I think we are making too much out of it.
    The last three deaths were all very much part of the Hibernian Family. Like its been said if you are tired of it or feel its devalued then dont do it. Wait till after its done before taking your seat. You could always catch some TV in the vomiteries.

ps. not particularly aimed at you personally Mr Rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
    When in the distant future bobby williamson passes on will there be a minutes silence/applause?
    Why not?

Faxed Back to Kaunas

That post is actually quite offensive to those who have good memories of Wille McFarlane as a player and manager for Hibs. Nothing tenuous about his connection to the club if you know much about Hibs' history.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    That post is actually quite offensive to those who have good memories of Wille McFarlane as a player and manager for Hibs. Nothing tenuous about his connection to the club if you know much about Hibs' history.
    I wasn't suggesting McFarlane's connection was tenuous per se. What I'm really seeking is some sort of explanation as to why 20 years ago, minutes' silences were a once-or-twice a season affair. Now they are every other week. I find that tiresome and I'm not alone by a long chalk.

People did die 20 years ago, yeah? It's not just a recent thing?

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    I wasn't suggesting McFarlane's connection was tenuous per se. What I'm really seeking is some sort of explanation as to why 20 years ago, minutes' silences were a once-or-twice a season affair. Now they are every other week. I find that tiresome and I'm not alone by a long chalk.

People did die 20 years ago, yeah? It's not just a recent thing?
    I don't think we've seen as may Hibs greats depart us in such a short period for a long time, if ever. Each and every one of them are deserving of a show of our respect. I just wish we had a minutes silence, rather than applause.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    I don't think we've seen as may Hibs greats depart us in such a short period for a long time, if ever. Each and every one of them are deserving of a show of our respect. I just wish we had a minutes silence, rather than applause.
    was thinking that actually, the frequency is probably because surviving members of great teams of the past are getting on a bit. they all merit some kind of showing of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    A wee bit below full marks, as I didn't actually say that in my post but don't let the facts get in the way, etc.!

It must have irked you immensely to have taken the time to post this 5 minutes into the game.

I'm assuming you were at the game?
    Last edited by Hibby D; 14-03-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The last three deaths were all very much part of the Hibernian Family. Like its been said if you are tired of it or feel its devalued then dont do it. Wait till after its done before taking your seat. You could always catch some TV in the vomiteries.

ps. not particularly aimed at you personally Mr Rolls.
    No offence taken.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    was thinking that actually, the frequency is probably because surviving members of great teams of the past are getting on a bit. they all merit some kind of showing of respect.
    Why don't we have one game a season - maybe the last - where all the people we have lost get a tribute. That way, no one is forgotten, and it has some meaning.

Trbutes are becoming as common as buying a pie, or a programme these days. We are a football club, not a funeral parlour.

It's very messy ground and not the sort I'd want the club to take a stand on.

I understand what you're saying but if the club did something like that and then say, god forbid, we had say a Phil O'Donnell situation then we couldn't simply put it back with all the others.

Just leave it be.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    I think their should be less, it's getting to the stage where they do it for people that just support the club, it's going to be less special when someone that really did have a connection with the club is given a minutes silence for.

Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    I think their should be less, it's getting to the stage where they do it for people that just support the club, it's going to be less special when someone that really did have a connection with the club is given a minutes silence for.
    Like, say, someone who played for our greatest ever team, and then went on to manage us?

Think that would work....

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Like, say, someone who played for our greatest ever team, and then went on to manage us?

Think that would work....
    Yes, exactly like that.

I was at a UEFA Cup Game in Belgium earler this season and there was a minutes' silence before the game because a former president of UEFA had died. The silence was well observed but the atmosphere in the main stand (and, one assumes, elswhere in the ground) was: 'who?'

Yes, exactly like that.

'
    So Willie MacFarlane's ok then?

Cool.

@hibs.net private member hibbymac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    when?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    So Willie MacFarlane's ok then?

Cool.
    Is MacFarlane 'ok'? I don't know - maybe ask someone who saw him play? It's not really relevant to the overall argument which is...

That what has been asked several times now, without any sort of enlightening response forthcoming, is why such an appreciable percentage of games nowadays (c.40% for me this season at about 15 separate venues) have commemorations beforehand compared to even five years ago. Do let me know if you can shed any light on this.

Perhaps I've just been 'timing my runs' incorrectly but I do have to say how overjoyed I was to be in Bruges the night it was expected of me to observe a minutes' silence for some unknown pen-pusher at an outfit as corrupt and avaricious as UEFA. What an honour for me to be present at such a commemoration. Made my season, that did.
    Last edited by magpie1892; 14-03-2010 at 05:44 PM.