hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is this "The Year"

I've read a few times people stating that "This is the year" for Hibs in the Cup-that-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned. Why on earth are people saying this?

We've had some really fortunate draws in the tournament so far, nobody can argue with that. That can't go on forever as, IF we beat Ross County, we'll still have to beat the bigger teams at some point to win the thing. The most likely is that we'll meet one of the OF in the semi-finals. I for one wouldn't be confident approaching a game against either, particularly Rangers.

While I'm pleased with the overall progress the team has made this season, I can't for the life of me see how this is any different to any other season regarding Hibs chances of winning the cup. Am I alone in this or does anybody else think the whole thing's been overplayed?

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Perhaps because we have reached the QF already, have a good chance of getting through and another chance of getting a team from a lower division.

'Years' like this dont come around ofter and people try to associate the lucky draws we had so far and see it as an omen that we're going to go on and win it.

Fortunately I'm not into luck or superstition and I reckon that we still have a long way to go but if we're going to win it, this would be a great chance to do it.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've read a few times people stating that "This is the year" for Hibs in the Cup-that-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned. Why on earth are people saying this?

We've had some really fortunate draws in the tournament so far, nobody can argue with that. That can't go on forever as, IF we beat Ross County, we'll still have to beat the bigger teams at some point to win the thing. The most likely is that we'll meet one of the OF in the semi-finals. I for one wouldn't be confident approaching a game against either, particularly Rangers.

While I'm pleased with the overall progress the team has made this season, I can't for the life of me see how this is any different to any other season regarding Hibs chances of winning the cup. Am I alone in this or does anybody else think the whole thing's been overplayed?

GGTTH
    Well , we're still in it for a start
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

GGTTH
    What a strange question!! Would you rather we all dismissed the SC every year and said after every round "it doesn't matter we won't win it, we never do". I think it's called HOPE!

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    Well , we're still in it for a start
    Yeah, I suppose we're still in a bit longer than usual.

FWIW, I do think we'll beat Ross County tomorrow, so we should be going to Hampden for at least a Semi Final. Or am I being over optimistic as well...

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    No, you're not alone but there's no harm in getting your hopes up. We can't win the SPL, we're out the League Cup so the it's our only "shot at glory". When you add the fact that we all want so much, you can't blame folk for having a wee dream.

I always make sure I am not doing anything on cup final day. Every year I avoid booking holidays, gigs etc on that date in the hope that we'll be there. So far, in my life time, we've been there once (I was too young in 1979). That won't stop me keeping the diary clear next year, the year after and every year I'm on this planet.

If you don't have hope, then you might as well go to the cinema every Saturday afternoon (or Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday.......).

We've had the best possible draw in each round so far however both sides of the Old Firm are still in and so are UTD, three teams we would struggle to beat.

Not getting excited yet. It would just be our luck that Rangers and Celtic get knocked out, along with a County win

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    What a strange question!! Would you rather we all dismissed the SC every year and said after every round "it doesn't matter we won't win it, we never do". I think it's called HOPE!

When did I say we won't win it?

I'm just confused as to why some people have decided that this is the year we will. I wanted to ask what it was that's convinced people, or even if it's more just a Media thing, because the league is a foregone conclusion.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

I'm just confused as to why some people have decided that this is the year we will. I wanted to ask what it was that's convinced people, or even if it's more just a Media thing, because the league is a foregone conclusion.
    Err.... you didn't and I never said you did. I just HOPE we do

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Err.... you didn't and I never said you did. I just HOPE we do

Me anaw.

This year is our only year we can win it since the last time. Every year we hear guys saying this year is our year and who knows maybe one of these times they'll be right. Next step win tomorrow.

It's our year until such time that it's no longer our year, at which point next year will be our year. See last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that etc and so on and so forth where the same rule applied.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

For some reason, when the cup draw was made for the third round, I had an immediate vision of use lining up against Dundee and Hampden. Don't know where it came from like. Maybe cos the local paper up here is dominated by the Dundee teams. Anyways, if they put Raith away. it could be a reality, either as a semi-final or a final and either would be peachy.

@hibs.net private member
    It's written in the stars that we'll win it this year. The last time we won the cup there were tram tracks in Princes Street, this year there are tram tracks in Princes Street. The last year we won the cup was 1902 if you add those figures up 1+9+0+2 = 12, this year is 2010 if you add up those figures 2 + 0 +10 = 12.
    Simples

First Team Breakthrough
    Seen a few signs this year that we could (maybe, just maybe) do it.

(1) Last time we had a former captain in charge we won a cup.
    (2) Best possible draw in my memory
    (3) The balmoral clock unexplicably stopped this year. Last time it done that was 1902. Coincidence?
    (4) Last time I had a season ticket we won a cup
    (5) Last time we built a new stand we at least reached the SC final (IIRC)
    (6) As a hibby, I feel like we are due it. Big man upstairs has had his laugh, now give us that wee bit of joy.

Look at it this way:
    Say we win tomorrow (which I think will be tough!). Then all we have to do is win 2 games. Not even within 90 mins.

If we were 2 games away from the end of the season, top, level on points with our rival and only had to avoid losing to two teams on a neutral ground (one of which could be in the 1st division), how would you feel? Confident? Would ER be bouncing for those games?!

Thats how the feeling should be tomorrow! Be positive mate. Got to happen eventually...

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Call me a pessimistic radge....

But it won't happen.

GGTTH

Hopefully we will get through tomorrow although I envisage it will be difficult. One thing in our favour may be the atmosphere. I don't want to slate the old east stand boys but I do reckon that the noise that we will generate from half the North Stand will be far louder and will help the team greatly.

Unfortunately the ugly cousins are still in the cup and one of them is depending on lifting it otherwise their manager could be shifted on. The other half will also want it to go with their SPL title. To lift that thing none of us has seen paraded at Easter Road will take some doing but we live in hope.....again.

Roll on tomorrow. Hoping for a good performance on and off the field.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Quote Originally Posted by hibees59 View Post
    It's written in the stars that we'll win it this year. The last time we won the cup there were tram tracks in Princes Street, this year there are tram tracks in Princes Street. The last year we won the cup was 1902 if you add those figures up 1+9+0+2 = 12, this year is 2010 if you add up those figures 2 + 0 +10 = 12.
    Simples
    that's a f/kin stoater,that's it ,we've done it at last coupled to the fact that Gorgie mob won it in 98' when they beat lower division teams all the way to the final,where they beat a moth eaten Rangers side,got an early dodgy penalty and ended up hangin' on wi' their fingernails at the end. that's what you call luck,not to mention Gretna

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Hibs vs Ross County
    Killie vs Celtic
    Rangers vs Dundee Utd
    Dundee vs Raith

Hibs v Raith
    Dundee Utd vs killie

Hibs 5 vs 1 Killie

Hibernian Football Club

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC_1875 View Post
    Hibs vs Ross County
    Killie vs Celtic
    Rangers vs Dundee Utd
    Dundee vs Raith

Hibs v Raith
    Dundee Utd vs killie

Hibs 5 vs 1 Killie

I for one am weary of hearing this 108 years and counting nonsense, because it really is nonsense. There are a great many teams that have not won the Scottish cup at all. Jambos mock our record as it detracts from their own sorry state of affairs, namely clinching two major trophies at Hampden in my lifetime. This compares to Hibs 3 major trophies in my lifetime, and I'm not including Dryborough cup or tennents sixes successes. The point is that there are 3 major trophies to be won every season - The League, The League cup and the Scottish Cup. Winning the Scottish cup is no more important to me than winning the league cup. The joy of football is in seeing your team lift one of the major trophies and being among thousands of fellow Hibbies. Getting to Hampden is no less easy in the league cup than the Scottish. It's all mind games. What I do know is that the jambos will be absolutely gutted and scrambling around to come up with something else they can try to belittle Hibs with should we actually win the damn thing in the next few months. I for one don't see it, but this is neither here or there. I have seen my team win and win magnificently at Hampden. End of.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Because at least one year has to be.

Last year, this year, next year.

Has to be one f'kn year....why not this one.

This is the first year in the last 10 years that I've not put a fiver on "Hibs to win the Scottish Cup". I'll be over the moon if I lose out on the winnings on a bet that I forgot to put on!

First Team Regular ChrissyG1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Call me a pessimistic radge....

But it won't happen.
    Ya pessimistic radge!

Promising Youngster MeAndMyBoys's Avatar

It's because we really are a BIG club!

My thinking is this - if we were a smaller club in stature and not 'expected' to win anything then not wining a particular trophy would not be an issue regardless if it was 1, 8, or 108 years...

Anybody think of any "smaller" clubs who have not won it recently and who are never mentioned in the same breath as 'won the {particular trophy}' ?

I can only really think of the mighty Fulham - who I don't think have ever won the Cup..

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Instead of asking "why?" - ask "why not?"

There fixed I'm sure this is also the Yogi school of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hibees59 View Post
    Simples
    And Nostrodamus wrote "Yellow men from the East will rise up again" - we had a Yellow away kit last year (what the heck he cant get it right all the time).

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    I think to win the cup this year, we will have to put out the old firm. To win this cup, we need to get through to the semi's (obviously) and hope that one of the old firm is put out. Then we wil have to beat one of the old firm in the semis and play a non OF team in the final.

The OF wont be beaten in a final. Its the jammy bassas way.

Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    I think to win the cup this year, we will have to put out the old firm. To win this cup, we need to get through to the semi's (obviously) and hope that one of the old firm is put out. Then we wil have to beat one of the old firm in the semis and play a non OF team in the final.

The OF wont be beaten in a final. Its the jammy bassas way.
    Why not?