hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wotherspoon

wotherspoon

o.k, iv been thinking this for a while, why is wotherspoon being played at rb? we have two players who can play there, mcann(injured but coming bk) and "stick th heed on ye" mcormack. i would never tell hughes how to do his job but every hibs fan i know wants to see him pushed into midfield. he's too good going forward to be playing as a rwb, rw, nuff said

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee4life1983 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    o.k, iv been thinking this for a while, why is wotherspoon being played at rb? we have two players who can play there, mcann(injured but coming bk) and "stick th heed on ye" mcormack. i would never tell hughes how to do his job but every hibs fan i know wants to see him pushed into midfield. he's too good going forward to be playing as a rwb, rw, nuff said
    I think we'd all prefer if Wotherspoon was played in the midfield area and I suspect that he'll feature there next season after we've signed a decent right back.

Much as I like to see home grown talent progress to the first team, I just don't see either McCormack or McCann being the answer.

Wink

Yeah, think it says a bit about our rb problems tbh.

Would like to see him given the chance to play further up against county. Dont know their team but wouldn't be surprised if it's like most first div defences in that they have big guys- poss out of shape!- and it's their bread and butter to deal with high balls forward, which is what hibs have been all about in recent games.

If we can get players running at them on the wings and put them Under pressure I'll reckon we'll come through it unscathed. Something than wotherspoon has shown he can do time and time again.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    There's an RB at the Accies that I reckon could do a job for us, Davis Van Halen or something like that.

First Team Regular erin-go-bragh87's Avatar
    I have to disagree with most on here and say that Mcann is the answer. I think he's a class act at right back and will prove alot of people wrong when he is back to full fitness and gets his chance.

First Team Regular joejoefaemexico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    There's an RB at the Accies that I reckon could do a job for us, Davis Van Halen or something like that.

hahahaha

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    And not even the decency to post it as Greggs. Shame on you...

@hibs.net private member duffers's Avatar
    What about thicot? Thought he done ok there earlier in the season, think it Dundee unt? Definatley prefer wotherspoon at right midfield.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duffers View Post
    What about thicot? Thought he done ok there earlier in the season, think it Dundee unt? Definatley prefer wotherspoon at right midfield.
    Thicot has failed to gain a place under different managers which tends to suggest he`s not going to make it. McCormack is too one paced for full back and the jury is still out on McCann.
    Like it or not at the moment Wotherspoon seems to be our best bet at full back.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Thicot has failed to gain a place under different managers which tends to suggest he`s not going to make it. McCormack is too one paced for full back and the jury is still out on McCann.
    Like it or not at the moment Wotherspoon seems to be our best bet at full back.
    Thats just tosh, McCormack has played a few times at rb and done reasonably well and he outpaced Nade so. . . Oh wait:-), and for me, McCann should b in there, he showed a bit of class there, how were playing at the momment is perfect for pace from the rw or lw position(Deeks being the exception) so for wotherspoon is perfect for rw, great pace and great control is desperate imo to the game hughes is trying to play. Only my opinion tho. . . .

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Class player.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    He'd jump at the chance to sign for us

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    He'd jump at the chance to sign for us
    Or we'd jump at the chance to sign him.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seanraff07 View Post
    Or we'd jump at the chance to sign him.
    Might aswell.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by .sean. View Post
    Might aswell.
    I suppose we do need a RB ..

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Thats just tosh, McCormack has played a few times at rb and done reasonably well and he outpaced Nade so. . . Oh wait:-), and for me, McCann should b in there, he showed a bit of class there, how were playing at the momment is perfect for pace from the rw or lw position(Deeks being the exception) so for wotherspoon is perfect for rw, great pace and great control is desperate imo to the game hughes is trying to play. Only my opinion tho. . . .

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolm-bogie View Post
    Education has never been the same since the teachers' strikes

Have to agree with the OP 100%. Spoony goes past men like they are not there.....so much confidence. He will be the guy to create space for himself to get shots away and make good crosses. Unfortunately needs must just now. I still live in hope that McCann will make it in the game but it will take time for him to get back up to full speed. Perhaps a loan spell when fully fit would be benificial for him?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Agree. We are wasting Spoony's talent at RB. I would like to see him playing the RM role he was playing for us at the start of the season. The player I would like to see at RB is Thicot as I remembeer him having a brilliant game in that position against Dundee United when we played them at Tannadice this season.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    Agree. We are wasting Spoony's talent at RB. I would like to see him playing the RM role he was playing for us at the start of the season. The player I would like to see at RB is Thicot as I remembeer him having a brilliant game in that position against Dundee United when we played them at Tannadice this season.
    Yep Thicot was very good when he came on at half time that game, probably our most under rated player IMO. We should give Wotherspoon a chance at RM as Zemmama seems to be struggling to get a place in the team there so why not give it a try, when Thicot switched to RB against Dundee.Utd it allowed Wotherspoon to push on into RM and he hit the post.. again.

Coaching Staff
    He's doing a good job at right back and actually never been great when pushed up so I'd keep him there just now.

The role of a full back has changed over the years IMO.

There seems to be a lot more emphasis on attacking rather than defending.

If you look at all the best teams in the world, the full backs are a lot more more attack minded than defensive.

Think Wotherspoon is a perfect example of a modern day full back and has a very promising future ahead.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erin-go-bragh87 View Post
    I have to disagree with most on here and say that Mcann is the answer. I think he's a class act at right back and will prove alot of people wrong when he is back to full fitness and gets his chance.

I have to agree, not sure why he has dropped off the radar as I thought his injury woes were behind him...................Perhaps not

Quote Originally Posted by macca70 View Post
    The role of a full back has changed over the years IMO.

There seems to be a lot more emphasis on attacking rather than defending.

If you look at all the best teams in the world, the full backs are a lot more more attack minded than defensive.

Think Wotherspoon is a perfect example of a modern day full back and has a very promising future ahead.
    Spot on. Look at the best teams and their full backs are all about getting forward. I think Wotherspoon is similar to Whittaker, in that he's best with the game in front of him. Running on to balls and providing the width from the full back position. He's rarely been found wanting from a defensive point of view, so why would we want to switch him to midfield?

Look around the SPL and I don't see many better RBs than Spoony, certainly not outside the OF. Who do we think we'll sign that will improve the position?

And Thicot did not play RB at Tannadice, he came on to play on the right of 3 man defence.

@hibs.net private member Hibby Kay-Yay's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ps3 - hibby kay-yay
    This could all be part of his development. He's still a young lad and will be learning every week on the defensive side of the game. In my opinion, once he moves into midfield he will be a tremendous all round player. He's already very good at going forward.

It could be that we see a real star next season if he's moved into midfield and Yogi brings in a decent RB for him to link up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Spot on. Look at the best teams and their full backs are all about getting forward. I think Wotherspoon is similar to Whittaker, in that he's best with the game in front of him. Running on to balls and providing the width from the full back position. He's rarely been found wanting from a defensive point of view, so why would we want to switch him to midfield?

Look around the SPL and I don't see many better RBs than Spoony, certainly not outside the OF. Who do we think we'll sign that will improve the position?

And Thicot did not play RB at Tannadice, he came on to play on the right of 3 man defence.
    I dont agree at all, we need more pace going forward from midfield thats the reason so many and myself want that, and as for looking at the best teams in the world, like who? Barca with Puyol? Better rb at defending and so goes for Man U with Neville. Defenders should be defenders.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Is McCormack subject to an internal suspension right now?

@hibs.net private member millarco's Avatar
    I dont agree at all, we need more pace going forward from midfield thats the reason so many and myself want that, and as for looking at the best teams in the world, like who? Barca with Puyol? Better rb at defending and so goes for Man U with Neville. Defenders should be defenders.
    Barcelona play with Dani Alves at right-back, probably one of the best attacking full-backs in the world. And Neville hardly plays anymore, Rafael is getting more of a game and his strength is attacking too. I agree with the sentiment that Wotherspoon should be further up the pitch, but he's a much better option at right-back than McCormack IMO, and McCann realistically probably won't be an option this season. I was disappointed we didn't get someone in during the transfer window, but I'm sure Yogi will address it in the summer and we'll see Wotherspoon further forward next season.

Quote Originally Posted by millarco View Post
    Barcelona play with Dani Alves at right-back, probably one of the best attacking full-backs in the world. And Neville hardly plays anymore, Rafael is getting more of a game and his strength is attacking too. I agree with the sentiment that Wotherspoon should be further up the pitch, but he's a much better option at right-back than McCormack IMO, and McCann realistically probably won't be an option this season. I was disappointed we didn't get someone in during the transfer window, but I'm sure Yogi will address it in the summer and we'll see Wotherspoon further forward next season.
    barca & man u have a midfield, we dont.

@hibs.net private member millarco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brydekirk View Post
    barca & man u have a midfield, we dont.
    Give me Miller and McBride over Xavi and Iniesta any day.