hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Benji wants to stay

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianf...ter.6131071.jp

I think he deserves another year at least.
    Made a good contribution on Saturday ( penalty aside).
    Will he get an offer from Hibs though?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I don't think he "deserves" anything, tbh.

He's not good enough for where we want to be.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    To replace him with someone of equal quality would cost more than retaining Benji I reckon.

Not always gonna be a first XI player but very handy to have in the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvino View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To replace him with someone of equal quality would cost more than retaining Benji I reckon.

He was desparate to leave last year.

He doesn't score any goals yet Nish gets all the stick.

Funny, innit?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvino View Post

I have to say I like Benji as a player. He is a bit enigmatic, but when he's good he's really good. That he doesn't show it that often is problematic, but I'd like to think that he's got more to give Hibs.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post

I have to say I like Benji as a player. He is a bit enigmatic, but when he's good he's really good. That he doesn't show it that often is problematic, but I'd like to think that he's got more to give Hibs.
    When's that Matty?

Seriously.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    This boy could have been something a bit special. As the article says he really looked the part in the cup final and it was frustrating how he never seemed to take things on from there. Time is still on his side but I think it's as much a mentality thing with Benji. He just doesn't seem to want it enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    This boy could have been something a bit special. As the article says he really looked the part in the cup final and it was frustrating how he never seemed to take things on from there. Time is still on his side but I think it's as much a mentality thing with Benji. He just doesn't seem to want it enough.
    So did Lewis Stevenson.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    So did Lewis Stevenson.
    That's right. Man of the match wasn't he?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    When's that Matty?

Seriously.
    Suppose I'm still going back to the cup run in 07, though there have been glimpses since then.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

So did Lewis Stevenson.
    I know what you're saying but I honestly dont think you can compare the two ability wise. I've watched the League Cup Final a couple of times and Stevenson did probably have his best game in a Hibs shirt but it was a 7/10 neat and tidy performance. Benji on the other hand conjured up a couple of goals where he had a lot to do.

Benji in fact was very good for most of that season and not just that one game.

Folk use the term 'good squad player' sometimes for players like Stevenson who are mediocre/poor in several positions but I do genuinely believe Benji is a useful guy to have around even on current form. If he could return to his form of 2/3 seasons ago we have an excellent player pretty cheap.

Worth another season I'd say.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    He's not good enough for where we want to be.
    I agree with that really, but I look through the squad list and players that are are hard to find. I feel that we have kind of maxed out with the squad that we have. It's good enough for the high end of the table but still not good enough for the top 2. In the next few seasons we have to look at consolidating our place as the consistent third/fourth placed team and Benji is an adequate backup for the first team at the level IMO.

I'd give him a deal. On his game and with the right attitude and application this lad is one of the best forwards in Scotland.

Its a real shame what happened to him and yes he is as much to blame. looked the Benji of old (from the highlights anyway).

Would agree that it would cost us big bucks to replace a player of his potential.

I can see it happening unless Hughes has someone lined up close season.

@hibs.net private member whereswallace?'s Avatar
    As has been said,Benji is a bit of an enigma.However there is no doubt that a Benji at the top of his game has a lot to offer us.Id give him an extra 12 months to prove he can do it when we need him.On his day he is someties unplayable the way he holds the ball in and twists and turns the defender is brilliant at times.
    [IMG]381313_2307180833812_1078031841_2523339_2139902811 _n[/IMG]

I'd keep him. He's come through a lot of bad personal stuff, and while he hasn't got back to his best form, he's improved in attitude and what he's had to offer this season. I agree that to replace him with someone of a similar ability will cost loads, and he could be a good secret weapon for Europe next year.

Coaching Staff
    What a refreshing change of attitude from the previous two seasons though eh ? Definitely worthy of a new deal as he is one the most technically gifted at the club. Made a big difference to a very average Hibs performance on Saturday. Like Riordan, he has been played slightly out of position by Hughes, yet always looks good on the ball and links up the play well.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichH View Post
    I know what you're saying but I honestly dont think you can compare the two ability wise. I've watched the League Cup Final a couple of times and Stevenson did probably have his best game in a Hibs shirt but it was a 7/10 neat and tidy performance. Benji on the other hand conjured up a couple of goals where he had a lot to do.

Benji in fact was very good for most of that season and not just that one game.

Folk use the term 'good squad player' sometimes for players like Stevenson who are mediocre/poor in several positions but I do genuinely believe Benji is a useful guy to have around even on current form. If he could return to his form of 2/3 seasons ago we have an excellent player pretty cheap.

Worth another season I'd say.
    I agree with that.

On Saturday he was the only one who really looked like creating goal opportunities and it was unfortunate that he missed the penalty although most of his striking compatriots have done the same this season or last!

I'd def give him a contract extension for at least one season with the belief that he could deliver more regularly with regular first team football and good man management which I know Yogi extends to his players if he believes they have potential and he rates the Moroccans in that regard!
    Last edited by TornadoHibby; 08-03-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: typos again!!!

@hibs.net private member
    He definately has the ability and is something hibs need at the moment. He can hold the ball up very well and turn defenders, as he done on Saturday to win the pen. I think if he gets a run in the team his sharpness will return and he will benefit the whole team.

No doubting his ability but it appears his attitude towards Hibs is way all over the place; he loves us, he wants away, he’s not coming back, he’d love to come back, he’d love to show us what he can do!

Well I think the consensus is that he’s a good squad player and if that’s all he can come up with to impress Hibs to give him a new deal then I, for one, am not terribly impressed.

We all know he can do it, but only when it suits him.
    Space to let

I'd give him the deal. He has the ability and I think Yogi is the man who can get him to perform and manage him well.

He has been through a lot of bad personal events which must be hard to handle when you are away from home so hopefully with that in the past he could concentrate on improving at Hibs.

As people say getting in a player of similar quality to Benji would be costly.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    No doubting his ability but it appears his attitude towards Hibs is way all over the place; he loves us, he wants away, he’s not coming back, he’d love to come back, he’d love to show us what he can do!

Well I think the consensus is that he’s a good squad player and if that’s all he can come up with to impress Hibs to give him a new deal then I, for one, am not terribly impressed.

We all know he can do it, but only when it suits him.

Of course we should offer him a new deal. I cant believe its even debatable

@hibs.net private member
    Has the ability to receive the ball in midfield with has back to goal, turn AND retain posession. Great link player when he's on form, did well on Saturday and in the 1st half through at the huns.

Unfortunately he's inconsistent and previously had a questionable attitude, i would try and retain him but not if he wants top dollar.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Apart from a couple of games in 07 I don't think he's performed to his ability, the last line in jacks post says it all he is a liability we can't afford we should chuck him IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoria1875 View Post
    Apart from a couple of games in 07 I don't think he's performed to his ability, the last line in jacks post says it all he is a liability we can't afford we should chuck him IMO
    He scored 15 goals that season

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    He scored 15 goals that season
    He's no really done much since though eh

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Maybe, but it would have to be incentive laden (ie low basic, high bonuses). Far too inconsistent and entirely unproductive away from home.

Coaching Staff
    A good player that we should be trying to encourage instead of looking for reasons to dislike all the time.

I don't think I've ever seen him play with anything less than a positive and willing attitude (maybe the Queens Park game apart, in keeping with the whole team that night) yet I still hear the old Benji is a lazy and moody git line almost every time his name is mentioned.

The pitch isn't doing him any favours, in common with the rest of the team, but we couldn't replace his ability easily or cheaply.

Keep him signed up, get him more playing time and he'll be a huge asset again.

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    A good player that we should be trying to encourage instead of looking for reasons to dislike all the time.

I don't think I've ever seen him play with anything less than a positive and willing attitude (maybe the Queens Park game apart, in keeping with the whole team that night) yet I still hear the old Benji is a lazy and moody git line almost every time his name is mentioned.

The pitch isn't doing him any favours, in common with the rest of the team, but we couldn't replace his ability easily or cheaply.

Keep him signed up, get him more playing time and he'll be a huge asset again.

Agree 100% although it sometimes seems that we are in a minority re Benji!

He's showing a better attitude and hunger this season, maybe down to Yogi, give him another year and if he keeps showing this then when he goes we'll get a decent wedge for him.