hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Penalties

Poor penaltyfrom a guy that has buried every other one he's taken, cheer up guys it happens.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

You dont get it mate. Killer instinct = clinical.
    Oh I get it all right.

Up till today I'd have said that Benji is clinical from the pen spot, I had 100% confidence in him scoring unlike some who had "feelings".

What's Stokes' penalty success rate then?

@hibs.net private member whereswallace?'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TornadoHibby View Post
    You should pay more attention to detail before posting stuff like this IMO!

Stokes' penalty last week would have been saved easily had the keeper not chosen to dive to his right as it was only slightly to the right of centre looking at the goal when it crossed the line!

There was no deception at play from Stokes' run up or striking action "persuading" the keeper to dive to his right either IMO!

I paid full attention thanks.If i never had baws id be a burd,but i have so im not.IF is a big word.The keeper didnt dive to his right so it was a great penalty.I take penaltys for my team and look for the keeper moving before going the other way.Maybe then,just maybe, Stokes does the same.Absolute nonsense to say a scoring penalty is a poor one.IMO
    [IMG]381313_2307180833812_1078031841_2523339_2139902811 _n[/IMG]

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Penalties, a free shot at goal from 12 yards, are FAR too important to just let "whoever feels confident" to take, this is a real hindrance to a team who have ambition, lets face it penalties should be scored the vast majority of times, and were talking about pro footballers here, there should be a designated taker in place long before saturday, and that player, knowing he is on them, should be spending part of his time getting paid to be a footballer, practising taking penalties, scoring more than the opposition gets you 3 points, and penalties are about the easiest way to scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Penalties, a free shot at goal from 12 yards, are FAR too important to just let "whoever feels confident" to take, this is a real hindrance to a team who have ambition, lets face it penalties should be scored the vast majority of times, and were talking about pro footballers here, there should be a designated taker in place long before saturday, and that player, knowing he is on them, should be spending part of his time getting paid to be a footballer, practising taking penalties, scoring more than the opposition gets you 3 points, and penalties are about the easiest way to scoring.
    Absolutely, to be honest it's embarrasing, in recent weeks we've seen players squabbling over who is going to take free kicks, then this today, it's amateurish & unacceptable.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    Poor penaltyfrom a guy that has buried every other one he's taken, cheer up guys it happens.
    Naw, he missed one against Gretna at Easter Road when we won 4-2 in the beginning of the 2007/08 season

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswallace? View Post
    I paid full attention thanks.If i never had baws id be a burd,but i have so im not.IF is a big word.The keeper didnt dive to his right so it was a great penalty.I take penaltys for my team and look for the keeper moving before going the other way.Maybe then,just maybe, Stokes does the same.Absolute nonsense to say a scoring penalty is a poor one.IMO
    The point I was making big guy was a simple one and was that there was little difference between the style and placement of the Stokes pen from last week and Benji's one from yesterday. The only difference was that the keeper chose the wrong side to dive to last week and the right one yesterday!

That is all!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Get Stack to take it. Goalies put their foot right through the ball, he'll burst the net.

Or hit row Z
    I thought that Stack's kicking yesterday was excellent and would be worth a shout for taking penalties. Anything into either corner high up is a goal if hit hard enough. Even if you told the keeper before hand that is where it is going. Stack would need to welly it so that if it is a miss, it takes ages to get the ball back and give hm time to get back in goal. The way Benji took that yesterday was like a show-boat or a fashion accessory and should only be attempted if you are three or four up and the result is out of sight.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    We should have one penalty taker, Stokes, and he should take them if he is on the pitch whether he won it or not.

You just knew Benji would miss it today, was a very weak effort.
    How?? No pro player should miss a pen but it happens(unless ur Alan Shearer). Deeks is far and away our best finisher and knocks free kicks in from 30 yards but missed two in a row. Benji's last few have been good so I wasnt worried about yest.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    I thought that Stack's kicking yesterday was excellent and would be worth a shout for taking penalties. Anything into either corner high up is a goal if hit hard enough. Even if you told the keeper before hand that is where it is going. Stack would need to welly it so that if it is a miss, it takes ages to get the ball back and give hm time to get back in goal. The way Benji took that yesterday was like a show-boat or a fashion accessory and should only be attempted if you are three or four up and the result is out of sight.
    Been down the keeper route with Goram. As a previous poster pointed out - no-one scores 100%. Seeing a fat goalie struggle to get back 80yds having missed is almost as bad as the feeling of seeing him miss one. Personally like the Franny Lee school, very hard, very fast and in the corner. "Giving the keeper the eyes" looks great when he's gone the wrong way, missing makes the kicker look like a prize erse. I'm sure Pat Nevin's famous attempt is out there on you Tube somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    We should have one penalty taker, Stokes, and he should take them if he is on the pitch whether he won it or not.

You just knew Benji would miss it today, was a very weak effort.
    Said that to my buddy just before he took it. It felt like "one of those days" for me.

Fwiw, Benji may have scored a few in his time but has he done it with one step back and then hittng it. Thought it was a poor effort, verging on arrogant. He had a bit of kidology with their keeper at the PK and the keeper won!

Blog Entries
    I can't remember where I read it but it was after Benji last scored from the spot. He himself implied, stupidly I think, that he always hit the ball to the keeper's left and the reporter jokingly said something along the lines that all opponent keepers should remember that fact for future reference. Lo and behold the keeper dived to his left and saved it yesterday. I'm sure this will be noted and in future Benji should either mix it up a bit at penelties or somebody else should take them.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by If Only View Post
    Stokes is our top goalscorer, at most clubs the top goal scorer normally takes the penalties, that is why they are usually top goalscorers simple as that. Look at Boyd for instance. Its not really rocket science is it.
    No he doesn't John Brownlie was the Hibs penalty taker in the Turnbull days and we had numerous players who scored every week.

Left by mutual consent!
    Get Deek back on them

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish View Post
    No he doesn't John Brownlie was the Hibs penalty taker in the Turnbull days and we had numerous players who scored every week.
    Never forgive him for that miss against Liverpool!!! Possibliy the worst Penalty I have ever seen.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Never forgive him for that miss against Liverpool!!! Possibliy the worst Penalty I have ever seen.
    Remember that night well. I was in the old East Terrace and it p!shed rain all night. I actually had a dream the night before the game that Hibs would win one nil and I knew that Brownlie would miss. Never had a dream like that since.