hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd

SPL may consider 16 team league?

From today's EEN

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/SPL-...ys-.6122051.jp

But then, I suspect it's all talk, no action myself.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Aboot f,n time,the leagues been screaming for a change for years,mind you this will save hertz being relegated.Atleast for a season

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    This would be a problem though as We would only have 30 games a season.. Kidding themselves on if they are gonna try play offs etc as well in my opinion.. You finish the season in your league position on merit .. Play offs and league splits are a complete joke ...

They should stop ****ing about and make it a 18 team league playing each other home and away once a season, then its 34 games a season, simple as that .. !

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This would be a problem though as We would only have 30 games a season.. Kidding themselves on if they are gonna try play offs etc as well in my opinion.. You finish the season in your league position on merit .. Play offs and league splits are a complete joke ...

They should stop ****ing about and make it a 18 team league playing each other home and away once a season, then its 34 games a season, simple as that .. !

Also forgot to add scrap the 3rd and 2nd division and have one 22 team first division with more promotion and relegation place up for grabs, much more exciting and gives teams a better chance of competing!!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    From a footballing point of view I think its a good thing. Playing each other more or less than four times a season is stale IMO.

Rod wont be happy. A new stand straight out the packet with an increased capacity that would only ever be close to full when the Old Firm and Hearts come calling. Instead of them coming twice it would only be once. He will be voting against I would imagine.

Change is long over due in the league.

The structure and split are a farce.

Play each other once a season = bigger crowds.

Scottish football has to be set up like the English pyramid system - if you are good enough you can make it all the way up - but on the way up you must have certain criteria ( ground etc ) to get furthur up.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post

but then there will be meaningless games from about october.

play offs

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    From a footballing point of view I think its a good thing. Playing each other more or less than four times a season is stale IMO.

Rod wont be happy. A new stand straight out the packet with an increased capacity that would only ever be close to full when the Old Firm and Hearts come calling. Instead of them coming twice it would only be once. He will be voting against I would imagine.

Rod will be delighted the new stand is in preparation for when the ugly sisters go south for the winter. We will then be the club who are best positioned both financially and with a class stadium to take our rightfull position as scotlands top team.

Quote Originally Posted by davym7062 View Post
    [/SIZE]

but then there will be meaningless games from about october.

play offs
    Playoffs please. Theres nothing that will damage attendances like a load of meaningless winter games against partick thistle and ross county...

16 or 18 team league - cannae wait

Once home and away - all cup games on a saturday. Much higher chance of the weegies getting split if they dont have the chance to hump you 4x a season.

Long, long overdue changes needed in this country.

16 teams

Play each other twice = 30 games

Reintroduce old league cup format = 6 games

Plenty IMO
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    16 teams

Plenty IMO

Agree 100%

Majority of games at the weekend, leaves midweek for European nights....

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Never gonna happen - turkey's wouldn't vote for Christmas.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

It needs to happen, there is nothing exciting about playing the same teams 4 times every season, and 1 up 1 down is pathetic.

Get in a 16 or 18 team league, playing each other twice a season, 2 up 2 down, and bring back the old style League Cup to put excitement back into that competition.

Can't see it happening but good to see someone at the SPL at least acknowledge the want for change.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    16 teams

Plenty IMO
    unless you get the cup games on your season ticket i cant see many people losing 8 games and paying £350-£400 for a ST, it needs to be 18 and play each other twice IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Euphoria1875 View Post
    unless you get the cup games on your season ticket i cant see many people losing 8 games and paying £350-£400 for a ST, it needs to be 18 and play each other twice IMO
    You would lose 4 home league matches in a 16 team league not 8.

The ST would have to be priced accordingly but thats no different to now.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Franck is God View Post
    You would lose 4 home league matches in a 16 team league not 8.

The ST would have to be priced accordingly but thats no different to now.
    38 games just now, 16 team league - play each team 2 times= 15 teams to play = 30 games no?

We get 19 games now. I agree that the league cup section games would need to be included to give you 18. I don't see where you get the loss of 8 on the ST from.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    We get 19 games now. I agree that the league cup section games would need to be included to give you 18. I don't see where you get the loss of 8 on the ST from.
    i mean over the course of the season there would be 8 less games excluding cups

i do realise it would be 4 less home games in the league

i realise i worded my post wrong and maths hurt my head

The split would make much more sense with a 16 team league.

For starters everyone would have played everyone else home and away once.
    With a 16 team league,the split would continue to minimise the number of meaningless games towards the end of the season.

So, 30 matches before the split and 7 after the split, giving 37 - very similar to now.

The bottom 8 would be playing to avoid 2 or 3 relegation spots and the top 8 would be competing for the European slots.

I think this would work.

i realise i worded my post wrong and maths hurt my head
    Mine too, and I've a degree in it. Going back to Jonnyboy's suggestion of 30 league games and league cup sections, that could give 18 games on a season ticket with Scottish Cup and league cup after the sections to pay for. Financially not too different from now.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    The split would make much more sense with a 16 team league.

For starters everyone would have played everyone else home and away once.
    With a 16 team league,the split would continue to minimise the number of meaningless games towards the end of the season.

So, 30 matches before the split and 7 after the split, giving 37 - very similar to now.

The bottom 8 would be playing to avoid 2 or 3 relegation spots and the top 8 would be competing for the European slots.

I think this would work.
    The problem I see here is that home and away games wouldn't be equal. Say Dundee and Dundee United were equal after 30 games, well ahead of everyone else (I choose them in case anyone thinks I have an agenda) then the advantage would be with whichever got the home game in the final 7. The top or bottom teams should have an equal number of home and away games against each other.

Club 12 (2013) Supporter
    Would only be a good thing for the league IMO. If the league was more spread out it would give the 'smaller' teams like your Killies, Hamiltons and Falkirk etc a bigger chance of staying in the top tier and once the bigger games like the Edinburgh Derbys come around they will be more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by ballengeich View Post
    The problem I see here is that home and away games wouldn't be equal. Say Dundee and Dundee United were equal after 30 games, well ahead of everyone else (I choose them in case anyone thinks I have an agenda) then the advantage would be with whichever got the home game in the final 7. The top or bottom teams should have an equal number of home and away games against each other.
    Ideally, yes, but it doesn't work that way now, so it would be no worse. At the moment you can play a team once at home and three times away.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post

Ah but 6 more 'winnable' games a season. Go on a good run without playing the old firm so much, meaning more likelihood of being able to challenge for 2nd at least. Plus those games would be more special.

I think an added factor in favour of change is that the days of filling your stadium when the OF are in town seem long gone. It is rare that home teams have sell outs when Rantic appear, especially as loads of their away games are on TV.

I know there are those who oppose a bigger league but I reckon there's a good case for it now more than ever before
    This is how it feels

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

I think an added factor in favour of change is that the days of filling your stadium when the OF are in town seem long gone. It is rare that home teams have sell outs when Rantic appear, especially as loads of their away games are on TV.

I know there are those who oppose a bigger league but I reckon there's a good case for it now more than ever before
    i agree its the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    Ideally, yes, but it doesn't work that way now, so it would be no worse. At the moment you can play a team once at home and three times away.
    Yes, but at present the final 5 games are arranged so that the title contenders have 19 home and 19 away, including 2 home and 2 away against each other. In your system the top two would always finish the season with one having had two home games and one away against the other.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The BBC View Post
    A majority of Scottish Premier League clubs favour expanding the division, with several managers also calling for a shake-up in the top flight.

BBC Scotland spoke to nine of the 12 clubs on Thursday, with seven supporting a larger league and one refusing to comment.
    9 - 7 = 2.

One refusing to comment, and if you read between the lines, one against.

I wonder who.

really hope something comes of this, from a fans viewpoint i cant see any reason not to support it whatsoever...just depends whether the folk at the top think the same