hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Widening the pitch

I see the EEN are reporting that when the new stand goes up the pitch is to be widened by 4 metres. Can this be right, 4m seems quite a lot?

Great if accurate though.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Sprouleflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Westie1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see the EEN are reporting that when the new stand goes up the pitch is to be widened by 4 metres. Can this be right, 4m seems quite a lot?

No doubt we will still lump high balls down the middle for Nish!!

It is hard enough at the moment, for our corner takers to get the ball past the front post as it it, without making it harder

I think this is a UEFA requirements that you need a certain amount of run off area outside the white lines of the pitch.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar
    The pitch currently meets UEFA standards only because there was an immovable object preventing them extending it. Once the object is removed, even temporarily, then they need to widen the pitch to the meet the UEFA rules and that is what they will be doing. Not sure by how much it needed increased by but it has always been the intention to widen the pitch at the time the new East Stand was built.

I suspect that is why no real work was done to improve the pitch (resulting in the state it is today) in the close season as it made sense to do both jobs at the same time.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    when the new stand goes up the pitch is to be widened by 4 metres. Can this be right, 4m seems quite a lot?
    Not really. It's only 2m each side.

I'm sure there was a thread about axes of symmetry a while back. Struggling to remember the exact point of that thread, but I think the gist was Symmetry Good, Asymmetry Bad. So on that basis, probably best to move the goals 2m (or move the West Stand also).

(Both goals, that is, to maintain symmetry.)

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Not really. It's only 2m each side.

I'm sure there was a thread about axes of symmetry a while back. Struggling to remember the exact point of that thread, but I think the gist was Symmetry Good, Asymmetry Bad. So on that basis, probably best to move the goals 2m (or move the West Stand also).

(Both goals, that is, to maintain symmetry.)
    I am sorry if it is just me but I have no idea what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by john18722 View Post
    I am sorry if it is just me but I have no idea what you are talking about?
    (1) You can't just widen the pitch 4m at one side.

(2) The stadium should be symmetrical.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    (1) You can't just widen the pitch 4m at one side.

(2) The stadium should be symmetrical.

(1) Why not? It would be different. And it would confuse the life out of the opposition...

(2) We already are symmetrical. The symmetry's down the road behind the North Stand.

I'll get my coat.....

The email mentioned that some season ticket holders in the West Stand may be affected with the Pitch widening. Think they might take away the first row(s)??

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MussiHibee View Post
    The email mentioned that some season ticket holders in the West Stand may be affected with the Pitch widening. Think they might take away the first row(s)??
    No, that would mean losing seats = less dosh for Rod. Those in the front row will probably have to lift their legs/swing them to one side if the ball's played up the touchline.

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    I think this is a UEFA requirements that you need a certain amount of run off area outside the white lines of the pitch.
    But here at E.R. we don't allow players or officials to relieve themselves at the edge of the pitch.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by MussiHibee View Post

Don't think so. IIRC the widening of the pitch will mean that the goals will be moved about 2 yards towards the east to 'maintain symmetry' - which means so that they'll still be in the middle of the widened pitch - but that the new pitch will be in the same position in relation to the present West Stand as the present pitch is.

Quote from the official website: "Significant works will be undertaken in the close season to fit the new stadium configuration and to meet UEFA guidelines. Some minor work will be required in the West Stand to allow the planned works on the pitch; any supporters affected will be contacted in advance of next season."

This reads to me that the club are intending to relay the pitch in its entirety (not before time, IMO, but obviously they were waiting for this major project to take off before doing it) and that while this is happening a small number of seats in the West will be affected. I can't see anything like a complete row of seats being removed - sounds to me more like a temporary inconvenience than anything major.

It'll be to do with the requirements of the pitch size for UEFA matches, or so I thought. Currently doing my referee course and the requirements for UEFA International matches is a pitch between 110 and 120 yards in length and 70 and 80 yards in width. The current pitch is 112 x 74 yards meaning we are compliant!?!

There are no other rules regarding how far the pitch must be away from the stands/run-off areas...

If you are west stand side, pitch side and look down the line towards the FF stand, i remember it looked a bit weird.... on one of the tours pre 2007 cup win, they said this would be fixed once new east was built.

So maybe it means the pitch is being slightly shifted towards east, meaning more space on west stand side?

Or am i just as confused as some others...

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor® View Post
    No, that would mean losing seats = less dosh for Rod. Those in the front row will probably have to lift their legs/swing them to one side if the ball's played up the touchline.
    Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_in_Prague View Post
    If you are west stand side, pitch side and look down the line towards the FF stand, i remember it looked a bit weird.... on one of the tours pre 2007 cup win, they said this would be fixed once new east was built.

So maybe it means the pitch is being slightly shifted towards east, meaning more space on west stand side?

Or am i just as confused as some others...
    That is correct, if you look at the FF and North stands there is a larger overlap towards the East. This was done so that when the new east stand goes up the pitch can be widened, the goals can be shunted towards the east and a more symmetrical stadium is achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by erskine-hibby View Post
    That is correct, if you look at the FF and North stands there is a larger overlap towards the East. This was done so that when the new east stand goes up the pitch can be widened, the goals can be shunted towards the east and a more symmetrical stadium is achieved.
    Does this mean the goals are currently offset towards the West Stand It certainly doesn't look like it

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Hibs-Liverpool
    just back from getting derby tickets and noticed as i was walking past the famous five stand, rolls of turf lying in the corner between the east and f5, possibly relaying the pitch, maybe only certain parts?

Quote Originally Posted by dangerousmouse
    Does this mean the goals are currently offset towards the West Stand? It certainly doesn't look like it.
    I just kent this thread was going to degenerate into another debate aboot symmetry!

Gamer IDs

I just kent this thread was going to degenerate into another debate aboot symmetry!

Well, the way the weather's been the last three months, it's a foolish man that goes out without a semmit is all I can say.....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2329/...33b833.jpg?v=0

If you look at this picture, gaining 4m just from one side shouldnt be an issue, as the current stand overlaps the FF and South...

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys89 View Post

If you look at this picture, gaining 4m just from one side shouldnt be an issue, as the current stand overlaps the FF and South...

For all that the Jambos are going on about IKEA and green bus-shelters, the stadium plans were worked out very carefully right at the beginning in the '90's.

The North and South were built in such a way and at such an elevation that when the slope was removed from the pitch everything fitted together.

The West was built to fit snugly between them, and in such a way that the corners could be filled in if the need ever arose. Now the East will be rebuilt, 4-5 yards farther back to be in line with the corners of the North and South, and to accomodate the wider pitch. And even though it's single-tier rather than two-tier, we can still fill in the corners if we want to.

We've been working to the same principles as Rangers were working to when they started the rebuild of Ibrox, and one step at a time over what? - 15 years, we've arrived at the point where we'll have a modern stadium complete and finished.

NOW all we have to do is FILL it.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar

That photo was taken before the East Stand had a few rows taken out when the slope was removed so wont reflect the current state.

I thought symmetry was where you got buried.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

For all that the Jambos are going on about IKEA and green bus-shelters, the stadium plans were worked out very carefully right at the beginning in the '90's.

The North and South were built in such a way and at such an elevation that when the slope was removed from the pitch everything fitted together.

The West was built to fit snugly between them, and in such a way that the corners could be filled in if the need ever arose. Now the East will be rebuilt, 4-5 yards farther back to be in line with the corners of the North and South, and to accomodate the wider pitch. And even though it's single-tier rather than two-tier, we can still fill in the corners if we want to.

We've been working to the same principles as Rangers were working to when they started the rebuild of Ibrox, and one step at a time over what? - 15 years, we've arrived at the point where we'll have a modern stadium complete and finished.

I remember standing in The Nip as a teenager before a game looking at the plans of the stadium on the back of the Evening News. At a time when the stadium was a total tip.

It's been a while coming but great to think that in a few months time it will be complete just about exactly how the original model looked.

Now, if we could get rid of those stupid beer badge shapes on the green steel!

That is an older picture before they sorted the slope / moved the pitch closer to the east.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aster_Road.jpg

This is the newer one but I can't see how the goals will be in the middle of the Famous Five / South if moved 2 metres (4m in total).

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

Whereas our neighbours;

1. Built stands where the front rows of seats aren't covered.
    2. Can't fill in the corners because of the floodlight pylons which also hold up the roof.
    3. Had to alter their 'new' stands because they weren't planned with UEFA pitch requirements in mind.
    4. Are apparently still waiting for the planning department to finish unpacking the application for their new super stand from the hundreds of boxes in which it was submitted.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry to get away from the symmetry thing, but will widening the pitch mean they will need to renew the undersoil heating as well?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    Sorry to get away from the symmetry thing, but will widening the pitch mean they will need to renew the undersoil heating as well?

I imagine so. Otherwise there'll be a strip of turf about 4 metres wide down the East-side touchline that wouldn't be heated.

Going on the state of the pitch the last few winters, we could do with a complete rebuild of the pitch - drainage, heating, turf, the whole thing.