hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smoking In The East

Something i noticed when i moved from the west into the famous five this year was the folk smoking in the toilets. Was never much of an issue after the smoking ban started if i recall correctly.

Think it is pretty minging that folk light up in the bogs in the famous five and its one of the reasons im going back to the west next season.

Its actually a disgrace that folk can't leave it out for the 90 minutes, my son has to put up with it (hes 5)and in this day and age the ground should be non smoking..

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Something i noticed when i moved from the west into the famous five this year was the folk smoking in the toilets. Was never much of an issue after the smoking ban started if i recall correctly.

Think it is pretty minging that folk light up in the bogs in the famous five and its one of the reasons im going back to the west next season.

Its actually a disgrace that folk can't leave it out for the 90 minutes, my son has to put up with it (hes 5)and in this day and age the ground should be non smoking..
    Trying to watch Maka for 90 minutes without reaching for a smoke is torture.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

I agree However I use the ladies in the lower FF every half-time and no-one in there has ever broken the rules as far as I can tell.

Must be the men

Quote Originally Posted by Pedantic_Hibee View Post
    Trying to watch Maka for 90 minutes without reaching for a smoke is torture.
    no excuse now then mate, hes practically offski..

I totally agree. Thats why I cant understand why there is no provision for folk who smoke to leave the ground at half time for a fag and be allowed back in again.

You can do it at the pictures, why not football ?

Please dont turn this into an anti smoking debate. The risks are well known and nobody but an idiot would argue against them.

But smoking is banned in all parts of ER because to quote the club " to enable supporters to ENJOY the match in a smoke free environment"

If you are a smoker you can indeed go for 2 hours without a fag on match days. In fact you can go for the whole day without a fag.

But like it or not smoking is an addiction and for most smokers I would guess after about an hour they start thinking about having a fag. The result of this is that their ENJOYMENT of the match day experience is spoiled by it. I know that mine often is.

I dont know if you have ever been a smoker but saying "its a disgrace" that folk cant go without for 90 minutes misses the point. Its not a deliberate act calculated to annoy or risk the health of fellow supporters but rather that some folk find it really difficult to go without a fag for what is in effect two hours, or more like three hours if its a cup game with extra time and penalties. Dread the thought.

Line up every smoker who attends ER and ask them if they would rather have a fag in the palatial surroundings of the FF bog and be made to feel like a criminal ( which by law they are ) or if they would prefer to be allowed outside ?

I know which one I would prefer.

Smokers pay the same money for season tickets, merchandise, getting to games etc as non smokers. Why should our matchday experience be lessened for the want of a door at the back of the stand being opened for 15 minutes at half time.

Problem solved and everybody is happy.

Like I said at the start. I agree with you, all I want is a bit of fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by BOVRIL View Post
    I totally agree. Thats why I cant understand why there is no provision for folk who smoke to leave the ground at half time for a fag and be allowed back in again.

Please dont turn this into an anti smoking debate. The risks are well known and nobody but an idiot would argue against them.

But smoking is banned in all parts of ER because to quote the club " to enable supporters to ENJOY the match in a smoke free environment"

If you are a smoker you can indeed go for 2 hours without a fag on match days. In fact you can go for the whole day without a fag.

But like it or not smoking is an addiction and for most smokers I would guess after about an hour they start thinking about having a fag. The result of this is that their ENJOYMENT of the match day experience is spoiled by it. I know that mine often is.

I dont know if you have ever been a smoker but saying "its a disgrace" that folk cant go without for 90 minutes misses the point. Its not a deliberate act calculated to annoy or risk the health of fellow supporters but rather that some folk find it really difficult to go without a fag for what is in effect two hours, or more like three hours if its a cup game with extra time and penalties. Dread the thought.

Line up every smoker who attends ER and ask them if they would rather have a fag in the palatial surroundings of the FF bog and be made to feel like a criminal ( which by law they are ) or if they would prefer to be allowed outside ?

Smokers pay the same money for season tickets, merchandise, getting to games etc as non smokers. Why should our matchday experience be lessened for the want of a door at the back of the stand being opened for 15 minutes at half time.

Common sense.

I heard they operate this at Killie? Can anyone confirm?

I have a ST in the east which is good because you can nip out the back at HT and have a puff which is fine in the open air. When I used to be in the FF it was the stairwell but that got stopped so folk must have decanted to the bogs.

Wouldn't take much effort to get a few metre's of temporary security fencing like you see round building site's etc that the stewards could erect round a space outside one of the doors. Folk could nip out there and have a smoke and be contented and the non-smokers can go for a piss and breathe at the same time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666

Are you sure you can't do this? I'm sure I've seen a few people come in and out of the double doors in the lower FF at half-time. Assumed they had been out for a smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvy1875 View Post

Common sense.

I have a ST in the east which is good because you can nip out the back at HT and have a puff which is fine in the open air. When I used to be in the FF it was the stairwell but that got stopped so folk must have decanted to the bogs.

Wouldn't take much effort to get a few metre's of temporary security fencing like you see round building site's etc that the stewards could erect round a space outside one of the doors. Folk could nip out there and have a smoke and be contented and the non-smokers can go for a piss and breathe at the same time.
    I doubt if the safety dudes would allow barriers at an exit.

I E Mailed the club about this and suggested that with the new ST system it would be a breeze to let folk out who could then show their ticket to get back in.

For pay at the gate you could ask for a voucher which would allow you back into the ground at half time. Or for pre paid tickets show your stub.

Needless to say I never got a reply.

@hibs.net private member & Biggest, Funniest Slaver on hibs.net 2012 Pedantic_Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    Are you sure you can't do this? I'm sure I've seen a few people come in and out of the double doors in the lower FF at half-time. Assumed they had been out for a smoke.
    Nah, that's just folk deciding to leave early and having second thoughts about it as they know they'll get rinsed on Hibs.net later by the real fans.
    "Play for the name on the front of the jersey and the supporters will remember the name on the back"

Quote Originally Posted by ArabHibee View Post
    If you can I have never heard about it. Perhaps someone in the know could post.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    There was a guy(and a group of kids) smoking in the toilets in the FF and another guy actually pulled him up. They were debating as I left so I don't know what the outcome was.

Oh ....... and as a bitter afterthought:

I would be willing to bet what little money I do have that if the law was changed tomorrow and the government allowed gigarette advertising Hibs and every other club would be beating down the door of the Fag companies cap in hand asking for a slice of the action.

After a few sherbets before the Derby at New year, I asked a steward in the West, if I could nip out the double doors (at the side of the ticket office) and he flatly said no and that if he let me out, I wouldn't be allowed back in.
    (barsteward mare likes)

I can't ever see this being something ER would even contemplate for smokers nipping in and out - purely for health and safety reasons

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    [QUOTE=Kevvy1875;2364494]

Common sense.

The back of the East (in the open air) is one of the reasons I have never moved. I feel sorry for the stewards who actually approach some of the smokers and ask them to put their fags out. and yes I feel sorry for the non smokers. Its does not mean anything now but the system Killie operated a couple of seasons back was a dividing line, smokers one side and non smokers the others. it worked a treat (from my point of view anyway).
    I know that 90 odd minutes its not a hellish long time (derbies are a freekin nightmare) but it is an addiction, and when you are told you can't! a smokers brain goes into overdrive and its all you can think about.
    YES - we all know the dangers and we would think twice before starting again
    YES- we understand how non smokers feel about it.
    But I do think there could be a wee bit more understanding in making allowances. I would pay a bit more for a smokers season ticket if it meant a few extra stewards to police an area on the outside of the stand at half time.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I'm glad they banned smoking at ER. I could get through a packet while watching the Hibs...

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: magseven7

Just like it's a disgrace people can't go without junk food for 90 mins?

@hibs.net private member

I said the same thing to a friend of mine who is fairly high up in the police regarding how we are penalised and that all it would take would be opening a door. His response was something along the lines of. Its very hard to police something like this where fans would go out and come back in, a type of fencing area would need to be installed and because you dont know how big this would need to be because you wouldnt know how many people smoked are fancied one at that time, this would need to be policed on possibly a one in one out basis which would = cost to the club. He also said that many people have addictions some legal some illegal that people have to do without at games. He said that some people are alcoholics and arent allowed drink into games. In summary in seems that to allow smokers to smoke at the game in some capacity it would cost the club an outlay and ongoing policing costs.

Coaching Staff
    This is all part and parcel of the smoking ban. Hopefully it becomes so difficult for people it is easier just to try and give it up. When that day comes it can only be good for everyone. Alcoholics wouldn't be allowed to slip out the back for a bevvy. Sex addicts would probably get arrested for giving in - smokers just need to adapt to less than 2hrs without a fag.

how anybody can think that a door opening to let smokers out is manageable is beyond me.
    as for the ticket scenario, one guys leave with 2 st's gives one to another guy who uses it to get back again.

there is no easy way of doing that wont cause hassle or cost to the club, so a flat ban would be the easiest thing for the club.

the fact people are smoking in the toilets and thus it going into the concourse is unfair on people who don't smoke..

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    I'm glad they banned smoking at ER. I could get through a packet while watching the Hibs...

So could I and I don't smoke!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    This is all part and parcel of the smoking ban. Hopefully it becomes so difficult for people it is easier just to try and give it up. When that day comes it can only be good for everyone. Alcoholics wouldn't be allowed to slip out the back for a bevvy. Sex addicts would probably get arrested for giving in - smokers just need to adapt to less than 2hrs without a fag.

If you are in hospitality in the West Stand ,you can go out for a ciggie after lunch, at half time and after the game.There is a lady at the door who gives you a ticket on exit and you surrender is on re-entry. It works fine and I cannot see why that cannot work for the rest of the stands.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marydoll View Post
    If you are in hospitality in the West Stand ,you can go out for a ciggie after lunch, at half time and after the game.There is a lady at the door who gives you a ticket on exit and you surrender is on re-entry. It works fine and I cannot see why that cannot work for the rest of the stands.
    Because thats hospitality and its in the west. Different people and a lot less! Wouldnt work in the east I am afraid, the police would not allow some lady giving a ticket to people on the way out in the east.

Why is th thread called "smoking in the east" when the op talks about the famous five and wst stand?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStokeprano View Post
    Why is th thread called "smoking in the east" when the op talks about the famous five and wst stand?
    Perhaps because if it is allowed then the smokers who use the bogs in the FF & West may decide to move to the East thus allowing him & his son to do a wazz without choking on smoke ...

I doubt if the safety dudes would allow barriers at an exit.

I E Mailed the club about this and suggested that with the new ST system it would be a breeze to let folk out who could then show their ticket to get back in.

For pay at the gate you could ask for a voucher which would allow you back into the ground at half time. Or for pre paid tickets show your stub.

Needless to say I never got a reply.
    As marydoll said you can go out for a smoke if you are in the West Stand Hospitality. As part of the security measures up there every visitor is given a coloured wrist band on arrival - for those who smoke it's their pass in and out before the match, at half-time and afterwards if they choose to stay on.

Inexpensive and very easy to monitor.

Definitely not

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Hibby D;2364827]As marydoll said you can go out for a smoke if you are in the West Stand Hospitality. As part of the security measures up there every visitor is given a coloured wrist band on arrival - for those who smoke it's their pass in and out before the match, at half-time and afterwards if they choose to stay on.

Inexpensive and very easy to monitor.

Not easy to monitor at all. Yes maybe with a few from hospitality but I would imagine there would be quite a lot in the East stand, and they are a bit harder to monitor than the people that frequent the hospitality in the west. It would need to be policed highly as people could swap bands to allow people that have been banned back into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post

Not easy to monitor at all. Yes maybe with a few from hospitality but I would imagine there would be quite a lot in the East stand, and they are a bit harder to monitor than the people that frequent the hospitality in the west. It would need to be policed highly as people could swap bands to allow people that have been banned back into the ground.
    Have you tried to get one of those bands off? It would take a skilled surgeon to remove it and replace it without anyone seeing the join

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Probably because 11-17,500 don't attend films at one time.

can you imagine the logistics involved in letting 100's-1000's of people out and back in to the stadium in a 15 minute spell

It'd practically be impossible and you'd have streams of people coming back late to their seats and interupting the game for everyone else

On top of that, the cinema probably don't get clientel who are bevvied out their nut going mental at their staff(which we'd have to hire a bucket load more of to police in 4 stands) about the time it's taking to get them out and back in.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'd be more inclined to protest for a lift on the booze ban.