hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riordan (again)

First Team Breakthrough

Riordan (again)

I see there are mentions of Deeko throughout all the post St Johnstone match analysis but I though I would give my tuppence worth anyway I don't know if others agree.

Over the last 8-10 games in particular we have been watching Deek really struggle at left midfield. Apart from a couple of impressive strikes and crosses I am prepared to say he offers very little indeed.

For someone who is 27 he is showing alarming signs of slowing up and becoming increasingly weak? He is incapable of holding a ball up or beating a man now. I think that is fact.

Before people say he should be played up front - I think that position only heightens the need for strength and speed (see Stokes -and how strong he is). I really want to believe a strike partnership of Stokes and Deek would be ideal, but I'm afraid I just do not think it is - and Yogi knows it.

Ultimately, I have found myself asking a question I NEVER thought I would ask, but: Is Derek Riordan good enough for Hibs, or more pertinently, is he good enough for where we want to go?

He will undoubtedly bosh in a few crackers throughout the remainder of the season, but would the team (and ultimately results) be better off with a combative, hard working left midfielder with a good delivery and a tendency to pitch in with a few goals throughout the season?

Having said that the boy has been incredible throughout my time as a Hibs fan and there is nothing I would like more than for him to prove me totally wrong - I post this in some concern to be honest!

J

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Play a left midfielder at left midfield and play Riordan as a forward, striker, attacker - whatever, as long as it's further forward than where he is being left stranded ATM!

The amount of chances we've missed the season through Stokes and even more so Nish has been ridiculous!

If Deek was playing a more central role some of the chances will fall to him as he's IMO 1 of the best finishers in the league!

I too share your concern, I don't think I've ever seen a better goalscorer in all my years than Deek, this may sound daft but Yogi is the only person who can't see he is wasted out on the left, you are right when you say it is a total waste of talent, we all know he is sulky and TBH it look's like he is trying to tell Yogi something or is there more to it off the field?, I want him and Stokes up front just like 99% of other Hibees but for some strange reason I don't think it will happen, I only hope to god that Yogi see's sense and does the right thing otherwise Deek will be ofski and in my opinion that would be a tragedy for Hibs overall.

Likewise. Been saying this for a good while now, far to weak and slow. Looks a good yard off pace these days. You can get away with one or the other, but not both.

That'll be 10 years of bevvying most weekends catching up. Can't live the lifestyle Derek wants and be at the top of your game for that length of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Play a left midfielder at left midfield and play Riordan as a forward, striker, attacker - whatever, as long as it's further forward than where he is being left stranded ATM!

The amount of chances we've missed the season through Stokes and even more so Nish has been ridiculous!

If Deek was playing a more central role some of the chances will fall to him as he's IMO 1 of the best finishers in the league!

Not been a fan of Riordan at all this season, seems to be well off the pace and also looks uninterested at times, however there is no disputing his finishing ability easily the best in Scotland, if he got the chances that Stokes has been getting this season I would be surprised if he was not into double figure by now.
    Glory glory

@hibs.net private member Liam89's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freddie m View Post

Not been a fan of Riordan at all this season, seems to be well off the pace and also looks uninterested at times, however there is no disputing his finishing ability easily the best in Scotland, if he got the chances that Stokes has been getting this season I would be surprised if he was not into double figure by now.
    Glory glory
    The thing is, stokes has been feeding off scraps superbly this season and I can't see Riordan doing that as well as Stokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnowhibs View Post
    The thing is, stokes has been feeding off scraps superbly this season and I can't see Riordan doing that as well as Stokes.
    I don,t believe that to be exactly true or I have been watching another team this season, I am not criticising Stokes as I think he is a fantastic player, way better than Riordan this year easily, I just think that Riordan is much more clinical in front of goal that's all.
    Glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    Likewise. Been saying this for a good while now, far to weak and slow. Looks a good yard off pace these days. You can get away with one or the other, but not both.

That'll be 10 years of bevvying most weekends catching up. Can't live the lifestyle Derek wants and be at the top of your game for that length of time...
    Regrettably, what you say is true, and is the impression I've got from watching him recently. A tragic waste of a huge talent. Stokes sets the standard these days in terms of pace and strength.

The standard justification for Deek's failure to shine regularly is that "he's being played out of position" and should be a central striker. No chance there. Pitched in with the kind of hulking central defenders every club in the SPL has these days, he'd get knocked all over the place just like the much less talented Colin Nish.

Deek's best chance of belatedly realising his potential, and Stokes' of progressing is if we can find a strong dominant centre-forward who can win the ball in the air and hold it up for them. That doesn't mean the gutless and mainly ineffective Nish, who is responsible for more moves breaking down than anyone else.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by freddie m View Post

Glory glory
    And if you had been watching Hibs all season you would know that Derek Riordan is already in to double figures for goals this season from left midfield.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    And if you had been watching Hibs all season you would know that Derek Riordan is already in to double figures for goals this season from left midfield.
    8 in the SPL according to the BBC.

He is the top-scoring midfielder in the league though.

Through out this season Deek has either played on the left side of a front three or a front four and he has no more defensive duties than any other forward.

In his first spell at Hibs playing this position never hindered his goal scoring and I remember him having more pace, a better touch and an actual desire to go past defenders to create chances for himself and others. If you look at the many you tube collections of his goals you can see this for yourself.

I like Deek but his all round play is simply not good enough to hold down a place in a team with loftier ambitions, we need all our players at 100% in every game including Deek and some fans need to stop making excuses for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    8 in the SPL according to the BBC.

He is the top-scoring midfielder in the league though.
    11 in all competitions this season, only 5 behind the top goal scorer Stokes who plays solely as our only striker.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Yip for someone so off form as he is, its not a bad return from a player thats also not interested/lazy/thinks he's bigger than the club/and playing out of position.

First Team Breakthrough
    I think it has been said throughout this thread - two critical factors for successful footballers these days are pace and strength. Deek is losing the former quickly and has never had the latter.

I entirely agree that:

1. He used to be able to go past players (at will from memory) - so does this bring in to question his desire? I would be more inclined to say he is suffering the effects of not conducting himself appropriately in the past (drinking, diet, attitude generally).

2. He is a SUPERB finisher - a better striker of the ball than Stokes admittedly. I am not sure he is more 'deadly' than Stokes. I know which of the two I would bet on to score a 1-1. The critical thing is that Stokes can make an opportunity for himself (see the goal midweek - no way Deek would have scored there) whilst the team has to present Deeks with the opportunity meaning there can really only be one 'luxury' player in the team.

I believe (but really wish I didn't) that he is finished as a truely feared striker in the SPL. His immobility and weakness mean a place can't be found in a team with 'loftier' ambitions. The most average of full backs have him in their back pocket (Cinknas of Hearts in the Derby at ER - he was woeful and Deek did nothing!) and the centre backs will be very much the same.

Hat-trick for Deeks at the w/e! Two free kicks and a penalty of course!

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerman View Post
    I see there are mentions of Deeko throughout all the post St Johnstone match analysis but I though I would give my tuppence worth anyway I don't know if others agree.

Over the last 8-10 games in particular we have been watching Deek really struggle at left midfield. Apart from a couple of impressive strikes and crosses I am prepared to say he offers very little indeed.

For someone who is 27 he is showing alarming signs of slowing up and becoming increasingly weak? He is incapable of holding a ball up or beating a man now. I think that is fact.

Before people say he should be played up front - I think that position only heightens the need for strength and speed (see Stokes -and how strong he is). I really want to believe a strike partnership of Stokes and Deek would be ideal, but I'm afraid I just do not think it is - and Yogi knows it.

Ultimately, I have found myself asking a question I NEVER thought I would ask, but: Is Derek Riordan good enough for Hibs, or more pertinently, is he good enough for where we want to go?

He will undoubtedly bosh in a few crackers throughout the remainder of the season, but would the team (and ultimately results) be better off with a combative, hard working left midfielder with a good delivery and a tendency to pitch in with a few goals throughout the season?

Having said that the boy has been incredible throughout my time as a Hibs fan and there is nothing I would like more than for him to prove me totally wrong - I post this in some concern to be honest!

J
    I have to agree, and its not nice to say, but we need more workrate.

Lack of work in midfield and up front killed us wednesday. You can play 4 players who do very little off the ball work (zouma, benji, stokes and riordan) because one day a hard working team will hammer you.

The critical thing is that Stokes can make an opportunity for himself (see the goal midweek - no way Deek would have scored there) whilst the team has to present Deeks with the opportunity meaning there can really only be one 'luxury' player in the team.
    Riordan also has been known to create more than the odd chance for others and feature heavily the assists for the season....

...this is being overlooked by many, I fear. Deek was never that fast or that strong - what he was, and still is, is a deadly finisher of the ball, he can generally score from most anywhere and he has an inimitable ability to piss of the yams

My mistake I meant to say he would be on 20 plus by now, however I was talking about SPL goals which is about 8 goals scored.
    Glory glory

I think it has been said throughout this thread - two critical factors for successful footballers these days are pace and strength. Deek is losing the former quickly and has never had the latter.

I entirely agree that:

1. He used to be able to go past players (at will from memory) - so does this bring in to question his desire? I would be more inclined to say he is suffering the effects of not conducting himself appropriately in the past (drinking, diet, attitude generally).

2. He is a SUPERB finisher - a better striker of the ball than Stokes admittedly. I am not sure he is more 'deadly' than Stokes. I know which of the two I would bet on to score a 1-1. The critical thing is that Stokes can make an opportunity for himself (see the goal midweek - no way Deek would have scored there) whilst the team has to present Deeks with the opportunity meaning there can really only be one 'luxury' player in the team.

I believe (but really wish I didn't) that he is finished as a truely feared striker in the SPL. His immobility and weakness mean a place can't be found in a team with 'loftier' ambitions. The most average of full backs have him in their back pocket (Cinknas of Hearts in the Derby at ER - he was woeful and Deek did nothing!) and the centre backs will be very much the same.

Hat-trick for Deeks at the w/e! Two free kicks and a penalty of course!
    Apart from go past his player and put a delightful ball in for Stokes to get the equaliser.

Apart from go past his player and put a delightful ball in for Stokes to get the equaliser.
    ...ma point exactly Deek

Assists (and goals) make points...and points, make prizes.

ENDOF

What has Derek to look forward to career-wise after Hibs

1. Europe - You can sell a russian most things - No?
    2. EPL? - nae chance, too slow, too weak
    3. Championship? - possibly as a squad player. Mind you some teams are fast - so maybe he wouldnae be able to hold down a first-team place
    4. English 1 or 2? - Nae guid night-life in most of these places - cannae see it
    5. Ugly Sisters? - nah!
    6. Yams? -
    7. Arabs, Dons, Well? - possibly
    8. Bottom 6 SPL? - probably
    9. USA, Australia? - Sunshine and plenty tottie - there's a thocht - Sun-tanned Deek wi a burd

I've watched Derek quite closely in recent weeks and here's my take on him.

In his first spell at the club he was very effective when playing on the left side and he had a bit of pace, not hugely quick in movement but lightning quick in thought and that often took him past defenders. When he returned from Parkhead it was obvious he was carrying a bit of weight and that affected his pace but the thought was still there and evidenced beautifully in his goal against Hamilton on his return.

This season the weight is back under control but he has lost a yard of pace, something that happens to players as they get older and though he's still the right side of 30 there's no cut off point, it varies from player to player. As such he needs to rely even more on his speed of thought but of late his confidence has dipped because he's not getting as many goals as he would have liked.

Now, after the groundwork comes the theory In his wide left midfield position he has, over the last number of weeks, been starved of possession as for some reason Hibs seem to prefer playing down the right, perhaps to better utilise Wotherspoon and Zouma. Whatever the reason it means Derek is not involved for long spells and his well known and very obvious frustration comes to the fore. As and when he does receive a pass it's often been 40 yards or more from the opposing goal and has found him facing the other way. His eagerness to get the ball forward, after having watched his team mates play tippy tappy across the field and back usually ends up with him taking a touch to get away from a defender and then sending a diagonal ball towards the opposition goal, no doubt hoping Stokes and Nish or Zouma have a chance of getting on the end of it. Invariably they don't and so the pass is wasted and reflects badly on Derek.

Another thing I've noticed is that when Murray is coming down the left, Derek comes short and when he gets the ball he's in the position just explained. Whether he's that deep because he's had it drummed into him that he must be able to defend as well as attack I don't know but whatever it is it's wasting his talent. Rankin is naturally left sided and for me he should be moving to that side to cover a forward run by Derek. That way the player we all know and love, the player who can conjure goals out of nothing might just get back to doing what we all know he is capable of.
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    ...ma point exactly Deek

Assists (and goals) make points...and points, make prizes.

ENDOF
    Tee Hee.

Testimonial Due David@EasterRoad's Avatar
    Worth noting that his overall work rate has improved a lot, maybe he is just tired from all the tracking back that he didn't really have to do under Mowbray.

Other teams also know what he is capable of so they usually double up on him when he gets the ball in the last third.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I've watched Derek quite closely in recent weeks and here's my take on him.

In his first spell at the club he was very effective when playing on the left side and he had a bit of pace, not hugely quick in movement but lightning quick in thought and that often took him past defenders. When he returned from Parkhead it was obvious he was carrying a bit of weight and that affected his pace but the thought was still there and evidenced beautifully in his goal against Hamilton on his return.

This season the weight is back under control but he has lost a yard of pace, something that happens to players as they get older and though he's still the right side of 30 there's no cut off point, it varies from player to player. As such he needs to rely even more on his speed of thought but of late his confidence has dipped because he's not getting as many goals as he would have liked.

Now, after the groundwork comes the theory In his wide left midfield position he has, over the last number of weeks, been starved of possession as for some reason Hibs seem to prefer playing down the right, perhaps to better utilise Wotherspoon and Zouma. Whatever the reason it means Derek is not involved for long spells and his well known and very obvious frustration comes to the fore. As and when he does receive a pass it's often been 40 yards or more from the opposing goal and has found him facing the other way. His eagerness to get the ball forward, after having watched his team mates play tippy tappy across the field and back usually ends up with him taking a touch to get away from a defender and then sending a diagonal ball towards the opposition goal, no doubt hoping Stokes and Nish or Zouma have a chance of getting on the end of it. Invariably they don't and so the pass is wasted and reflects badly on Derek.

Another thing I've noticed is that when Murray is coming down the left, Derek comes short and when he gets the ball he's in the position just explained. Whether he's that deep because he's had it drummed into him that he must be able to defend as well as attack I don't know but whatever it is it's wasting his talent. Rankin is naturally left sided and for me he should be moving to that side to cover a forward run by Derek. That way the player we all know and love, the player who can conjure goals out of nothing might just get back to doing what we all know he is capable of.
    pretty much agree with all of that, and as much as everyone has their opinion it seems some people would rather see the back of a guy who will score 100 goals for us, madness i tell you

Haven't quoted but somebody said he does no more defending than any other sriker. That's bull. I'm in bloody Australia, haven't seen a great deal of Hibs but I've noticed Deek around his own box too many times for it to be a novelty.

Also here's the top assists for the SPL

Steven Davis 11
    Aiden McGeady 8
    Kenny Miller 7
    Andreas Hinkel 6
    Daniel Swanson 5
    Garry Hay 4
    Kris Boyd 4
    John Rankin 4
    Derek Riordan 4
    Kyle Lafferty 4
    Ryan Flynn 4
    DaMarcus Beasley 4

Rankin & Riordan

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    This may be a bold actually no it is a bold statement. Would anyone agree that the way Riordan has returned is simmilar to when George Best arrived. Bags of talent but after years of physical abuse from activities detrimental to an athletes physical abability to consistently compete and provide the performances the manager the fans and the media are now demanding.

He can hit a ball we all know that but does he have the other attributes required.

Removed
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeystewart View Post
    This may be a bold actually no it is a bold statement. Would anyone agree that the way Riordan has returned is simmilar to when George Best arrived. Bags of talent but after years of physical abuse from activities detrimental to an athletes physical abability to consistently compete and provide the performances the manager the fans and the media are now demanding.
    Eh...........no. To compare Riordans return to that of Best is imo

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeystewart View Post

He can hit a ball we all know that but does he have the other attributes required.
    I wasn't aware that Derek Riordan had a drink problem.