hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lay Off The Players

Why are the guys who pull on the jersey getting so much stick?

The "spineless" midfield is outnumbered and over run every week because the opposition manager knows that we'll play three in there.

The "gutless" forwards barely see the ball because the midfield has so little time with it. When the forwards do get it it's often just punted up to them from defence and they're expected to make it stick.

The "pathetic" defenders and goalkeepers are more likely to make errors as they're under so much pressure.

Personally, I don't see lack of effort. I do however see guys played in positions that don't suit them. And I see the team lining up in a formation that allows the opposition to dominate midfield and cut off service to our strikers.

So something has to give. Either the manager has to change it or the manager has to be changed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member hibbymac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

The "spineless" midfield is outnumbered and over run every week because the opposition manager knows that we'll play three in there.

The "gutless" forwards barely see the ball because the midfield has so little time with it. When the forwards do get it it's often just punted up to them from defence and they're expected to make it stick.

The "pathetic" defenders and goalkeepers are more likely to make errors as they're under so much pressure.

Personally, I don't see lack of effort. I do however see guys played in positions that don't suit them. And I see the team lining up in a formation that allows the opposition to dominate midfield and cut off service to our strikers.

So something has to give. Either the manager has to change it or the manager has to be changed.

Albert Einstein had a point, - ...... "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Mikey this isn't exactly a new problem down Easter Road way, over teh last number of years, when the players have to stand up and be counted (to use a phrase) and roll their sleeves up and get stuck in, they have generally failed to show up.

It has been a problem under most recent managers and makes me wonder if there is something fundamentally wrong with the attitude of players and managers at our club, where team after team generally fails to do it when it most matters and leaves us long suffering fans another reason to wonder jsut what we did to deserve getting the Hibees into our systems...

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Spot on. I just hope a manager with more tactical awareness gets to work with these guys. I personally think its the best squad since the Sauzee team, with the poorest SPL in a long time.

It would be a shame if guys like Stokes, Miller, Riordan left in the summer having not had the chance to be managed by someone who could pick a team and be tactically switched on and aware. If we did I think we'd be on to a winner big time.

It shouldn't be hard to find a manager who knows the odd thing about tactics. The whole crowd knows what the issues are, seems like our manager is very blinkered and oblivious.

Though I think that the players, no matter where they are played, could do more than they are. That is down to motivation, self and from Yogi, but I see little of any.

I do!

Quote Originally Posted by MussyHibby View Post
    I do!
    Where? Let's have some names.

The players aren't blameless by any stretch of the imagination. A complete inability to pass the ball to a team-mate isn't purely down to formation.

Wotherspoon's been pish recently.
    Hogg's been pish recently.
    Bamba's been pish recently.
    Miller's been pish recently.
    Rankin's been pish recently.
    Riordan's been pish recently.
    Stevenson's been pish since 2007.
    Nish has been pish recently.

I'm being kind to the ones that I haven't named.

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    I am quite happy to blame both yogi and the players.

The tactics are wrong, but lots of players have to play under systems they don't like, but they still get on with and produce results. Our players have basically given up.

Yogi fix the tactics, players fix your attitudes.

It aint rocket science!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    The players aren't blameless by any stretch of the imagination. A complete inability to pass the ball to a team-mate isn't purely down to formation.

Wotherspoon's been pish recently.
    Hogg's been pish recently.
    Bamba's been pish recently.
    Miller's been pish recently.
    Rankin's been pish recently.
    Riordan's been pish recently.
    Stevenson's been pish since 2007.
    Nish has been pish recently.

I'm being kind to the ones that I haven't named.
    There's a big difference between being pish and being spineless, gutless and pathetic.

Every one of those players is suffering from the formation used. The biggest travesty is the use of Derek Riordan. He should be up front scoring goals, not operating on the left side. And putting him there leaves the left back horribly exposed.

Derek Riordan either needs to be up front with Stokes or on the bench. He's NEVER a left midfielder.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Have you not noticed Miller refusing to go in for 50/50 challenges? Against Ross County at ER he pulled out of every single one!

So what if Deek's being played out of position, he can still look interested (and to be fair he has been one of the few who has done lately)

Stokes wonders about the pitch expecting the ball to fall at his feet without him having to put any effort in.

Bamba strolls about the pitch thinking he's God's gift to the SPL

I could go on...

I see where you are coming from, but i dont agree. This has gone beyond tactics now - It is not tactics that crumble everytime we are put under pressure - it was noyt tactics that allowed hearts to scroe two easy goals in the space of 3 minutes, and it was not tactics that saw us crumble again last night.

Tactics play a part, of course they do, but we have a bunch of spineless, cowardly charlatans for players who seem to act like big children throw the toys out of the pram when another team tries to hurst us.

A genuine question - when was the last time a Hibs player put in a crunching tackle? You know, like Roy Keane used to do when Man U were struggling, the kind where he would clatter the opposition's main man, take the booking then turn around and go mad at his team mates to gee them up.

Its called leadership - and its something we have a chronic lack of, and while the manager does have his faults, there is something very wrong with this group of players at the moment, when they crumble anytime we are put under any sort of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sproston Green View Post
    I see where you are coming from, but i dont agree. This has gone beyond tactics now - It is not tactics that crumble everytime we are put under pressure - it was noyt tactics that allowed hearts to scroe two easy goals in the space of 3 minutes, and it was not tactics that saw us crumble again last night.

Tactics play a part, of course they do, but we have a bunch of spineless, cowardly charlatans for players who seem to act like big children throw the toys out of the pram when another team tries to hurst us.

A genuine question - when was the last time a Hibs player put in a crunching tackle? You know, like Roy Keane used to do when Man U were struggling, the kind where he would clatter the opposition's main man, take the booking then turn around and go mad at his team mates to gee them up.

Its called leadership - and its something we have a chronic lack of, and while the manager does have his faults, there is something very wrong with this group of players at the moment, when they crumble anytime we are put under any sort of pressure.
    Think Ye'll find Ian Murray has done this on numerous ocassions.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    cannot agree more regarding the midfield.
    If you watch the hearts game again (silly i know) you will see the problems. We have 2/3 of our midfielders closing down 1 player in the middle of the park. leaving another of thier players in the middle of the park free to get the ball.

I have no problem with players closing down and hunting a player down but when Mcbride/Miller/Rankin were closing down they were literally doing just that. There was very rarely a foot stuck in to win the ball just pressure on them to make the pass, which they did, and admittedly did well.

We need Bamba in the middle of the park throwing himself about and getting stuck in and doing what he did last season.

I know we do not have Jones at the back this season and we would be missing Bamba's presence if we moved him, but its time Hogg/Hanlon/Murray stepped up and made that back line thiers and took control of it.

We have been simply diabolical since the second half vs huns and the only thing that i can say i can praise from us of late is Deeks FK vs Killie.

A 5-0 win on Saturday will of course raise everyones spirits, but the question is whether Falkirk's NEED of a win or our DESPIRATION for a win will prevail!
    Hibernian Football Club

'S' Form

atmosphere

End of the day we didn’t really get behind these players last night there was hardly any atmosphere atoll last night not our usual self’s we are there 12th man so we needed to be louder than we were

What a pile of ******

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    What a pile of ******

And why is that?

to the OP who has hit the nail on the head. There's a man being paid big money to get results from the best squad we've had in years.

He isn't doing it, and rounding on the players is just letting him get away with it

I think Mikey is spot on.

We have all said it in different ways for months (or years). We badly need a midfield enforcer (yes, the Matty Jack/Rocastle type) to stiffen our midfield and protect the back 4. Playing such a player demands four in the midfield - not three.

We probably have that player in Bamba, but Yogi doesn't seem to want to try that (or indeed more than 3 in midfield).

We also must play with two up front - one of whom must be Riordan.

None of the above is rocket science. Most of us have been making these points constantly.

Either we're all wrong or Yogi is.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    I think Mikey is spot on.

We have all said it in different ways for months (or years). We badly need a midfield enforcer (yes, the Matty Jack/Rocastle type) to stiffen our midfield and protect the back 4. Playing such a player demands four in the midfield - not three.

We probably have that player in Bamba, but Yogi doesn't seem to want to try that (or indeed more than 3 in midfield).

We also must play with two up front - one of whom must be Riordan.

None of the above is rocket science. Most of us having been making these points constantly.

Either we're all wrong or Yogi is.
    The problem for me is that he doesn't even try it

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northerngreen View Post
    End of the day we didn’t really get behind these players last night there was hardly any atmosphere atoll last night not our usual self’s we are there 12th man so we needed to be louder than we were
    atmosphere sounded pretty good on the radio ??

Manager and players are all culpable.

One thing for sure, we can't blame Petrie.

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar

totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by HIBERNIAN-0762 View Post
    What a pile of ******

Any chance you can expand on that?

Any chance you can expand on that?
    I think certain games have showed Hibs with a lack of effort, guile etc, especially when things go against us, the players heads do go down......

Maybe the dressing room has been lost??

First Team Breakthrough Tollhouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northerngreen View Post
    sorry - thats bollocks and if you were standing in the middle of the terracing you would know that.

First Team Breakthrough emmjayfox's Avatar
    I reckon most centre halfs would have a field day against Riordan if he played in the centre, He"s no speed, he cant header, hes lightweight, but oh wait a minute.....he CAN hit a shot from 20-25 yards. Im sure anybody on here whos ever played in central defence will agree he would be a joy to play up against. I personally would like to see him played behind a front 2, but that position also requires a work ethic that hes just not got yet. IMO.

We have a much better squad of players now than last season. Yes, there are a few positions that need filled, but we should be doing a lot better than we have recently. For me this is totally down to the formation and tactics of the manager.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by inverurie exile View Post
    sorry - thats bollocks and if you were standing in the middle of the terracing you would know that.
    I was in the middle of the terracing we only sand when things went our way other wise we were quite

The players are not blameless.
    Yogis has said many times the players like and want to play this formation.

The players have had several Hearts to Heart and clear the air meetings all invited to give their opinion.

Obviuosly not all have panned this system.

Yogi must take the rap but please dont say the players are not part of the problem.