hibs.net Messageboard

Following on from Yam player Hibs Fan Vica Versa, what about Scottish refs

Just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone knew of any ref supporting a team in the SPL

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just thought it would be interesting to see if anyone knew of any ref supporting a team in the SPL
    Of course they all supported a team, what difference it makes now is zero IMO as with an SPL ref observer at every game how long do you think they'd last if they were making mistakes every single game.

They all support Rantic.

Although it may not seem possible on recent showings, Stevie Conroy is a Hibby

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Dougie Macdonald is too.

John Underhill supports naebdy.. thinks they're all sh*te

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Dougie Macdonald is too.

John Underhill supports naebdy.. thinks they're all sh*te
    John no longer referees in the SPL unfortunately.

To the best of my knowledge Callum Murray is a Hearts supporter and Mike Tumilty supports Hartlepool

Quote Originally Posted by StevieT View Post
    Agreed. Now does the Sky Masters, I believe.

@hibs.net private member StevieT's Avatar
    Agreed. Now does the Sky Masters, I believe.
    I've seen him on the telly box doing some of the masters games. John is a decent guy who gave me good advice when I took up refereeing.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar

To the best of my knowledge Callum Murray is a Hearts supporter and Mike Tumilty supports Hartlepool
    Heard that too one of the few, if not the only, scottish refs i rate.

I've seen him on the telly box doing some of the masters games. John is a decent guy who gave me good advice when I took up refereeing.
    What like? DON'T!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    Of course they all supported a team, what difference it makes now is zero IMO as with an SPL ref observer at every game how long do you think they'd last if they were making mistakes every single game.
    Refs are probably making bigger mistakes of late and are getting away with it!

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    Refs are probably making bigger mistakes of late and are getting away with it!
    How do you know this?

Part of the issue, IMO, is that we don't have as transparent a system in the SPL as they do in the EPL. There, if a ref makes a big mistake, he can be suspended and the public know about it.

I am sure that refs' performances are taken into account when it comes to giving them certain games, but we don't know that for sure.

Hugh Dallas acknowledged recent issues the other day, but he wouldn't be more specific. Maybe he needs to be?

@hibs.net private member
    How do you know this?

Part of the issue, IMO, is that we don't have as transparent a system in the SPL as they do in the EPL. There, if a ref makes a big mistake, he can be suspended and the public know about it.

I am sure that refs' performances are taken into account when it comes to giving them certain games, but we don't know that for sure.

Hugh Dallas acknowledged recent issues the other day, but he wouldn't be more specific. Maybe he needs to be?
    Referee at the recent Hibs game where zemmama was elbowed, blatant elbow, booked him then it turned out he booked him for obstruction?!?! Assistant referee at motherwell rangers match flagging offside. Referee at the Hibs Montrose game was shocking with general mistakes like the advantage rule.

IMO, refs need to be made full time, they need to be paid highly and in turn made accountable. If you make the referee position attractive with a high wage you will get a lot of interest, meaning a lot of choice and competition. If refs make big mistakes they pay for it with suspensions or fines etc. I think they get away with it more just now because there arent a lot of refs and they are only part time. I always get the feeling that the powers in football know the refs are weak but because we would be in serious bother if they turn around and say enough I quit we would be worse off and this makes the powers be a bit more soft on them. If players make big mistakes they are punished for all to see, if refs make big mistakes it is brushed under the carpet or dealt with 'behind' the scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    IMO, refs need to be made full time, they need to be paid highly and in turn made accountable. If you make the referee position attractive with a high wage you will get a lot of interest, meaning a lot of choice and competition. If refs make big mistakes they pay for it with suspensions or fines etc. I think they get away with it more just now because there arent a lot of refs and they are only part time. I always get the feeling that the powers in football know the refs are weak but because we would be in serious bother if they turn around and say enough I quit we would be worse off and this makes the powers be a bit more soft on them. If players make big mistakes they are punished for all to see, if refs make big mistakes it is brushed under the carpet or dealt with 'behind' the scenes.
    ... these bits back up what I said, that we don't know how things work in a disciplinary sense.

Transparency, IMO, would help lead to the accountability that you talk about.

Hes been retired for a wee while now (could possibly do with him back seeing this lot are useless) but Willie Young is an Ayr fan and so was his uncle who was also a ref.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    how long do you think they'd last if they were making mistakes every single game.
    As long as the SFA want them to. The refs all stick together and would argue black is white when one of them make an arse of something.