hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member stu in nottingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He played professionally?

The guy sounded like he'd never seen a game in his life. He had absolutely no idea what was going on.

The BBC would have done better taking me to Vancouver to do colour commentary for them.
    Yes he did, incredible though that is:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=4343

I agree, he is absolutely clueless, as is his co-commentator, Bob Ballard.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    Yes he did, incredible though that is:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=4343

I agree, he is absolutely clueless, as is his co-commentator, Bob Ballard.

Its CNS, stu - Charlie Nicholas Syndrome.

He played, so even if he's as clueless as a Florida mob hit, he must be able to commentate....

There's also the BFV - the Brendan Foster Variation. He may be most boring man on earth, but he once one a Bronze Medal somewhere, so we'll give him a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Its CNS, stu - Charlie Nicholas Syndrome.

He played, so even if he's as clueless as a Florida mob hit, he must be able to commentate....

There's also the BFV - the Brendan Foster Variation. He may be most boring man on earth, but he once one a Bronze Medal somewhere, so we'll give him a job.
    I know what you mean Doddie but even though he's a bit of a twat at least Charlie boy could play a bit. :) Pope had a skating style reminiscent of a beer barrel rolling down the ice.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by stu in nottingham View Post
    I know what you mean Doddie but even though he's a bit of a twat at least Charlie boy could play a bit. :) Pope had a skating style reminiscent of a beer barrel rolling down the ice.
    Ah. Slower than the Zamboni, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Ah. Slower than the Zamboni, then?
    Approximately the same turning circle.
    FAITH HOPE LOVE

My Blog:
    The Tears of a Clown

@hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp View Post
    £15 for an adult Cam, or £11 for student concession if that applies and £7 for kids.
    Family tickets for 2 adults and 2 kids are £37.
    Can i pay at the door or is it advised to buy in advance?

Got nothing better to do on saturday so will give it a go

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbie_Cameron View Post
    Can i pay at the door or is it advised to buy in advance?

Got nothing better to do on saturday so will give it a go
    Pay at the door is as easy Cam. Should be a decent crowd Saturday but nowhere near a sell out unfortunately!

Pay at the door is as easy Cam. Should be a decent crowd Saturday but nowhere near a sell out unfortunately!
    Cool, will try and get there in plenty of time just incase. Hopefully catch up with you there?

Cool, will try and get there in plenty of time just incase. Hopefully catch up with you there?
    Pop into the DJ booth at the far end during one of the breaks bud .... that's where I'll be!

Pop into the DJ booth at the far end during one of the breaks bud .... that's where I'll be!
    I might come along as well, just to make fun of the Flames for trading for Toskala

When does it finish? Cos I have to be at work at half-9.

I might come along as well, just to make fun of the Flames for trading for Toskala

When does it finish? Cos I have to be at work at half-9.
    Usually done by 8.15. Toskala is a ufa at the end of the season and no worse than what we had. For the limited time remaining this season he doesn't really have a great impact on the salary cap, not that it's relevant now that the deadline has gone. The Flames trades suggest that their level of ambition is to match the recent successes of your team. In fact so much so that rumour has it they may even change their name to the Calgary Maple Leafs.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    If you enjoyed tonights game, then come along to Murrayfield and watch the Edinburgh Capitals.

With a 2pm kick off at Easter Road, it gives you plenty of time to get across the city.

A wee preview of how the Caps have been doing this season

http://h1bby01.mediashare.com?select...=h1bby01440718
    I do believe the Caps have home games on Saturday AND Sunday, so if the Olympics has peaked anyone's interest in hockey, there's a perfect opporunity to come along this weekend!

Usually done by 8.15. Toskala is a ufa at the end of the season and no worse than what we had. For the limited time remaining this season he doesn't really have a great impact on the salary cap, not that it's relevant now that the deadline has gone. The Flames trades suggest that their level of ambition is to match the recent successes of your team. In fact so much so that rumour has it they may even change their name to the Calgary Maple Leafs.
    He is much, much worse than what you had.

He is much, much worse than what you had.
    You see much of McElhinney? Worse or not, he'll be gone at the end of the season anyways when Leland Irving will hopefully be promoted to back up so it's a moot point.
    Last edited by PC Stamp; 05-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Ill be there about 5.15 to pay at the door. Going with a couple of mates before we head out for the night. Hopefully see you there Cliff

You see much of McElhinney? Worse or not, he'll be gone at the end of the season anyways when Leland Irving will hopefully be promoted to back up so it's a moot point.
    No, but I've seen waaaay more than enough of Toskala. Take my word for it.

And it's not really a moot point until the end of the season. You're now Kipper's groin away from seeing the full gruesome glory of The Vesa's sub-.880 save percentage. The other thing is that you're fighting for a playoff spot with a backup goalie you're terrified to see get any playing time. So even if you make the playoffs, Kipper will be fried from being played too much. Again.
    Last edited by GhostofBolivar; 06-03-2010 at 04:59 AM.

I really enjoyed the capitals match last night, Thought they started poorly but came into it later on the game. They killed a hell of a lot of pens in the 2nd and 3rd but sadly the two they failed to kill in the first period gave them a mountain to climb

Some quality fighting and banter with the fans though, my mates are already wanting to go back

No, but I've seen waaaay more than enough of Toskala. Take my word for it.

And it's not really a moot point until the end of the season. You're now Kipper's groin away from seeing the full gruesome glory of The Vesa's sub-.880 save percentage. The other thing is that you're fighting for a playoff spot with a backup goalie you're terrified to see get any playing time. So even if you make the playoffs, Kipper will be fried from being played too much. Again.
    Aye, he was terrifying in his debut game I just watched, making 27 saves as the Flames won 5-2 at Minnesota. Maybe just maybe it was what was in front of him at the "Make Believes" that made him look worse than he really is? You certainly are, being as the NHL stats engine credits him with a .902 save average.

I really enjoyed the capitals match last night, Thought they started poorly but came into it later on the game. They killed a hell of a lot of pens in the 2nd and 3rd but sadly the two they failed to kill in the first period gave them a mountain to climb

Some quality fighting and banter with the fans though, my mates are already wanting to go back
    You missed the better game tonight Cam as the Caps won the 2nd instalment 4-3, scoring twice in the last 5 minutes! Think how bad that ref was last night and then ask yourself how he could possibly be worse tonight!? Well he was!

You missed the better game tonight Cam as the Caps won the 2nd instalment 4-3, scoring twice in the last 5 minutes! Think how bad that ref was last night and then ask yourself how he could possibly be worse tonight!? Well he was!
    Was it the same ref? He was abysmal on sat night, my mate had never seen a hockey match apart from the olympic final and i was explaining the rules to him as we watched, even i was baffled with his decisions and "bias" towards Belfast. Best moment was when he fell over in the 3rd.

You had a busy night though, with all those pens, you never had your mic out your hand

For what its worth i thought if the Caps had scoredon sat night to make it 3-2 they would have gone on to win the game

Was it the same ref? He was abysmal on sat night, my mate had never seen a hockey match apart from the olympic final and i was explaining the rules to him as we watched, even i was baffled with his decisions and "bias" towards Belfast. Best moment was when he fell over in the 3rd.

You had a busy night though, with all those pens, you never had your mic out your hand

For what its worth i thought if the Caps had scoredon sat night to make it 3-2 they would have gone on to win the game
    Yeah, same ref, Dean Smith and he was probably worse tonight. Caps scored a good goal which he ended up disallowing after a near riot as he had inadvertently sent too many Giants players to the penalty box so he had to backtrack and start the passage of play all over again after making sure the right culprits were boxed! They ended up with 73 minutes in penalties so in fairness his ineptitude probably favoured us tonight whilst it was more in their favour last night! I agree with you FWIW as I thought the Caps played the better hockey Saturday night but the difference was that their netminder stood on his head that game. He played well again Sunday but wasn't just quite as hot! Good that your buddies enjoyed it though.

Yeah, same ref, Dean Smith and he was probably worse tonight. Caps scored a good goal which he ended up disallowing after a near riot as he had inadvertently sent too many Giants players to the penalty box so he had to backtrack and start the passage of play all over again after making sure the right culprits were boxed! They ended up with 73 minutes in penalties so in fairness his ineptitude probably favoured us tonight whilst it was more in their favour last night! I agree with you FWIW as I thought the Caps played the better hockey Saturday night but the difference was that their netminder stood on his head that game. He played well again Sunday but wasn't just quite as hot! Good that your buddies enjoyed it though.
    We are going to go back but i notice the season is nearing its end. How many teams make the play-offs and will the Caps make it? Its trying to get a game where we can all make it, just happend that sat night was ideal

Aye, he was terrifying in his debut game I just watched, making 27 saves as the Flames won 5-2 at Minnesota. Maybe just maybe it was what was in front of him at the "Make Believes" that made him look worse than he really is? You certainly are, being as the NHL stats engine credits him with a .902 save average.
    Toskala 2009/10:

27GP 24GS 8W 12L 3OTL 3.59GAA .877SV%

Toskala's save percentage ranks him 47th in the NHL out of... 47. He is consistent though, because his GAA's dead last too.

Who's making him out to be worse than he is?

By the way, he's only had 7 games this season where his save percentage has been above the league average of .911. He's had 10 where it's been below .860.

Yeah. He's amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Wilson
    I love our [Team USA] goaltending when we do make a mistake. I’m not always used to, personally over the last two years, of getting the big save so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goaltending guru Francois Allaire
    The save percentage in [the 80s] was .880. Do that now and you are not in the business.
    Right now, what's wrong with the Leafs is the fact we have few NHL-ready forwards. A large part of what's been wrong since the lockout is that we haven't had NHL-calibre goaltending. Something that's the fault of the previous GM.

Toskala doesn't like working with a coach and is habitually unconcerned by his latest disasterous performance. He's lazy, apathetic, self-deluded and injury-prone. The best thing he ever did as a Leaf was to concede a shootout goal to Mats Sundin in a game against the Canucks. I fervently await the day he signs for a British team so I can tell him to his face how much I hate him.

Toskala 2009/10:

27GP 24GS 8W 12L 3OTL 3.59GAA .877SV%

Toskala's save percentage ranks him 47th in the NHL out of... 47. He is consistent though, because his GAA's dead last too.

Who's making him out to be worse than he is?

By the way, he's only had 7 games this season where his save percentage has been above the league average of .911. He's had 10 where it's been below .860.

Yeah. He's amazing.

Right now, what's wrong with the Leafs is the fact we have few NHL-ready forwards. A large part of what's been wrong since the lockout is that we haven't had NHL-calibre goaltending. Something that's the fault of the previous GM.

Toskala doesn't like working with a coach and is habitually unconcerned by his latest disasterous performance. He's lazy, apathetic, self-deluded and injury-prone. The best thing he ever did as a Leaf was to concede a shootout goal to Mats Sundin in a game against the Canucks. I fervently await the day he signs for a British team so I can tell him to his face how much I hate him.
    So you're taking this season's figure playing in one of the worst perfroming Maple Leafs teams in recent years as opposed to his career figure?
    As I hinted before, Sutter has taken players who have done nothing before and polished them into better. Toskala had a decent start on Sunday, is alongside a mate in Kiprusoff and has a coach in Jamie McLennan who will probably eat him with noodles if he doesn't toe the line.

Special mention has to go to Martin Cingel for one of his goals last night. I'm not much of a hockey fan but even I said aloud at the time "What a F****** Goal"

I just hope I caught the goal okay with the camera as I stopped for a split second to take in just how good a goal it was.

We are going to go back but i notice the season is nearing its end. How many teams make the play-offs and will the Caps make it? Its trying to get a game where we can all make it, just happend that sat night was ideal
    The Caps only have 2 home games left in the league bud. This coming Wednesday against Cardiff with an 8pm face off and then on Saturday 20th March with a 6pm face off. Then the play offs kick in and it looks most like the Caps will play either Cardiff or Nottigham ... either on Saturday 27th March at 6pm or Sunday 28th March at 6pm. If they qualify they'll then be down in Nottingham for finals weekend at Easter.

Then it's time to look ahead to next season starting the weekend of 4th/5th September with the newly announced Braehead Clan joining the Elite League set up and giving the Caps a Scottish rival next season!

I might make it on the 20th. I thought i was going to busy that night but it looks like things have changed in that respect. My duck's supporting brother is also interested in going along, atleast i wont have to explain everything to him

So you're taking this season's figure playing in one of the worst perfroming Maple Leafs teams in recent years as opposed to his career figure?

As I hinted before, Sutter has taken players who have done nothing before and polished them into better. Toskala had a decent start on Sunday, is alongside a mate in Kiprusoff and has a coach in Jamie McLennan who will probably eat him with noodles if he doesn't toe the line.
    Why wouldn't I use his numbers for this season?

If it makes you feel better, he hasn't had a save percentage above league average since 2006/07. So that's three seasons where he's been awful. He might demonstrate ability in individual games, but over the last three years he has a .891 save percentage. Which is nowhere near even being mediocre at the NHL level.

Toskala had a goalie coach in Toronto who worked with Patrick Roy, J-S Giguere, Jonas Hiller and Ilya Bryzgalov among others. It's not like Francois Allaire has a poor resume. Yet, by most accounts his practice habits are spotty at best and he doesn't listen to his coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Allaire
    Vesa is not a guy who likes to build relations with coaches. He preferred to be by himself... To do that, to say, `I'm okay by myself, I know what to do,' you have to be really good in this league in 2010.
    He's demonstrably a terrible goalie. His only value is as an expiring contract and while it might be possible to salvage something from him, it might be possible to salvage something from the Titanic too. The obvious analogy is that you've just signed Zibi Malkowski as your backup. There's no real good part to this for you. I've seen him far more than I'd have liked and trust me, the guy is apocalyptically bad.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ending-dilemma

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...e-vesa-toskala
    Last edited by GhostofBolivar; 09-03-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Why wouldn't I use his numbers for this season?

If it makes you feel better, he hasn't had a save percentage above league average since 2006/07. So that's three seasons where he's been awful. He might demonstrate ability in individual games, but over the last three years he has a .891 save percentage. Which is nowhere near even being mediocre at the NHL level.

Toskala had a goalie coach in Toronto who worked with Patrick Roy, J-S Giguere, Jonas Hiller and Ilya Bryzgalov among others. It's not like Francois Allaire has a poor resume. Yet, by most accounts his practice habits are spotty at best and he doesn't listen to his coach.

He's demonstrably a terrible goalie. His only value is as an expiring contract and while it might be possible to salvage something from him, it might be possible to salvage something from the Titanic too. The obvious analogy is that you've just signed Zibi Malkowski as your backup. There's no real good part to this for you. I've seen him far more than I'd have liked and trust me, the guy is apocalyptically bad.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...ending-dilemma

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...e-vesa-toskala
    It was always deemed a difficult task yet when someone actually put their mind to it, they did it. It turned out to be pretty valuable!
    Time will tell whether it works or not. If it does, well and good ... if not he'll go at the end of the season. We all know he's not likely to play many games as Kiprusoff doesn't by all accounts want to sit out games. His first game was encouraging enough. If he can do similar in perhaps the other half dozen (if that) games he may play then the deal will have served it's purpose by allowing Sutter to lose McElhinney's contract thereby allowing Irving to step up next season.

8-3 to the Caps last night, I picked the wrong game

8-3 to the Caps last night, I picked the wrong game
    Always more fun to be announcing goals rather than endless penalties.