hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbie_Cameron's Avatar

Winter Olympics Hockey.

Who is a favourites for the Gold at the Olympics? All the big teams usually fall flat on there faces dont they?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbie_Cameron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is a favourites for the Gold at the Olympics? All the big teams usually fall flat on there faces dont they?
    The Russian team look too good. Malkin, Kovalchuk, Semin, Datsyuk, Gonchar and some dude called Ovechkin.

Anyone but USA to win it for me. I'm raging Burke never selected Kyle Okposo but found places for players like Drury on the basis that "he is Chris Drury"
    Last edited by James.; 14-02-2010 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    The Russian team look too good. Malkin, Kovalchuk, Semin, Datsyuk, Gonchar and some dude called Ovechkin.

Anyone but USA to win it for me. I'm raging Burke never selected Kyle Okposo but found places for players like Drury on the basis that "he is Chris Drury"
    Chris Drury's a centre, Okposo is a right winger. So I don't see what your point is. TJ Oshie and Tim Connolly have more cause to be upset that Drury was selected than Okposo does. Anyway, considering how young the US squad is, the experience and leadership of Drury and Langenbrunner will be vital to their chances.

In any case, Okposo is the 5th highest scoring American right winger in the NHL. Which, if we're scoring it like that, wouldn't be good enough anyway. The only winger on the squad with fewer points than him is Ryan Callahan, who has more goals than Okposo. If you think they should have left Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan or Phil Kessel off the team so Okposo could go, you're nuts.

There are five RWs on team US. Kane, Kessel and Ryan are clearly better players, the others are Callahan - who'll have 4th line duties at best - and Jamie Langenbrunner - who's the team captain. Who should have sat so Okposo could go?

First Team Breakthrough Higgy115's Avatar

Winter Olympics Hockey.

All you experts out there in the ice hockey, surely Canada should be nailed on for gold. The line up is like a dream team from the NHL and with home support.... Best price seems to be about 6/5, worth a decent punt ????

I know the Russians will be dangerous with Ovechkin but lacking the same strength in depth as the Canadians.

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Canada are usually always favourites. Olympics, World Championships whatever ... but they still manage to right royally screw it up more often than not!

Canada have the strength in depth yes but Russia's offence is miles ahead I think.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp View Post
    Canada are usually always favourites. Olympics, World Championships whatever ... but they still manage to right royally screw it up more often than not!
    Are you advising not to back them then... I agree their record in the major tournaments is poor considering the squads they have had, thought with home ice this year, keep their nerve, should win. Cousin over there is pretty confident, he is just delighted with the break in the NHL, Oilers season ticket holder !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofBolivar View Post
    Chris Drury's a centre, Okposo is a right winger. So I don't see what your point is. TJ Oshie and Tim Connolly have more cause to be upset that Drury was selected than Okposo does. Anyway, considering how young the US squad is, the experience and leadership of Drury and Langenbrunner will be vital to their chances.

In any case, Okposo is the 5th highest scoring American right winger in the NHL. Which, if we're scoring it like that, wouldn't be good enough anyway. The only winger on the squad with fewer points than him is Ryan Callahan, who has more goals than Okposo. If you think they should have left Patrick Kane, Bobby Ryan or Phil Kessel off the team so Okposo could go, you're nuts.

There are five RWs on team US. Kane, Kessel and Ryan are clearly better players, the others are Callahan - who'll have 4th line duties at best - and Jamie Langenbrunner - who's the team captain. Who should have sat so Okposo could go?

I was trying to make two points but it does sound like I'm advocating Okposo over Drury which doesn't make sense as they are, as you've said, different positions - so for that I apologise.

But yeah lets talk Callahan and Okposo, at the time Burke announced the USA team Okposo had 27 points and -5 whilst Callahan was 19 points and -11. Even during a massive team slump Okposo still has more points. Of course stats don't tell the whole story it's also the fact that he's regarded a better player on PP, PK and 2 way play - all Callahan has over Okposo is that he can check better but he does play with the Rags.

With Langenbrunner I can see why he's in but leadership only goes so far and thought USA were rebuilding?

But then again maybe Burke's right, I mean his record with the Leafs this season is massively impressive.

(PS, I do have a big dislike for both the Rangers and Maple Leafs (and Leafs fans) - so expect my argument is massively flawed in some way that I just can't see)
    Last edited by James.; 15-02-2010 at 02:12 PM.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Starts tomorrow night our time, even with the 8hr difference, there is usually one men's game we can watch (within reason), as the games run from midday to 9pm Vancouver time. Schedule for the first three days is three men's games with two women's games in between.

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.c...les/index.html

Tuesday: USA v Swiss (20:00); wh; Canada v Norway (00:30); wh; Russia v Latvia (05:00)
    Wednesday: Finland v Belarus (20:00); wh; Sweden v Germany (00:30); wh; Czech v Slovakia (05:00)
    Thursday: USA v Norway (20:00); wh; Swiss v Canada (00:30); wh; Slovakia v Russia (05:00)
    Friday: Belarus v Sweden (20:00); Czech v Latvia (00:30); Finland v Germany (05:00)
    Saturday: Norway v Swiss (20:00); wh; Latvia v Slovakia (00:30); Germany v Belarus (05:00)
    Sunday: Russia v Czech (20:00); Canada v USA (00:40); Sweden v Finland (05:00)
    Wednesday 24th: quarterfinals, running from 20:00 to 05:00
    Friday 26th: semifinals, at 20:00 and 02:30

Saturday 27th: bronze match at 03:00
    Sunday 28th: gold match at 20:15

To be honest, the early matches are pretty guff until Sunday.

Group A
    Canada
    USA
    Swiss
    Norway

Group B
    Russia
    Czech
    Slovakia
    Latvia

Group C
    Sweden
    Finland
    Germany
    Belarus
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 15-02-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by AyrshireHibs View Post
    I was trying to make two points but it does sound like I'm advocating Okposo over Drury which doesn't make sense as they are, as you've said, different positions - so for that I apologise.

But yeah lets talk Callahan and Okposo, at the time Burke announced the USA team Okposo had 27 points and -5 whilst Callahan was 19 points and -11. Even during a massive team slump Okposo still has more points. Of course stats don't tell the whole story it's also the fact that he's regarded a better player on PP, PK and 2 way play - all Callahan has over Okposo is that he can check better but he does play with the Rags.

With Langenbrunner I can see why he's in but leadership only goes so far and thought USA were rebuilding?

But then again maybe Burke's right, I mean his record with the Leafs this season is massively impressive.

(PS, I do have a big dislike for both the Rangers and Maple Leafs (and Leafs fans) - so expect my argument is massively flawed in some way that I just can't see)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burke
    I think Kyle Okposo is going to be a very important player for USA Hockey for years to play. He’s a big player, skilled player, very coachable. No minuses. Just not experienced enough at this point.
    I wouldn't criticise the GMs of other teams when you had Mike Milbury in charge for how long?

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I wouldn't criticise the GMs of other teams when you had Mike Milbury in charge for how long?

Too long

I remember reading a while about somebody fancying Finland at 20 odd/1, his reasoning being they had a lot of top players and would be underestimated. I know nothing about Ice Hockey and didn't even back them.

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Starts tomorrow night our time, even with the 8hr difference, there is usually one men's game we can watch (within reason), as the games run from midday to 9pm Vancouver time. Schedule for the first three days is three men's games with two women's games in between.

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.c...les/index.html

Tuesday: USA v Swiss (20:00); wh; Canada v Norway (00:30); wh; Russia v Latvia (05:00)
    Wednesday: Finland v Belarus (20:00); wh; Sweden v Germany (00:30); wh; Czech v Slovakia (05:00)
    Thursday: USA v Norway (20:00); wh; Swiss v Canada (00:30); wh; Slovakia v Russia (05:00)
    Friday: Belarus v Sweden (20:00); Czech v Latvia (00:30); Finland v Germany (05:00)
    Saturday: Norway v Swiss (20:00); wh; Latvia v Slovakia (00:30); Germany v Belarus (05:00)
    Sunday: Russia v Czech (20:00); Canada v USA (00:40); Sweden v Finland (05:00)
    Wednesday 24th: quarterfinals, running from 20:00 to 05:00
    Friday 26th: semifinals, at 20:00 and 02:30

Saturday 27th: bronze match at 03:00
    Sunday 28th: gold match at 20:15

To be honest, the early matches are pretty guff until Sunday.

Group A
    Canada
    USA
    Swiss
    Norway

Group B
    Russia
    Czech
    Slovakia
    Latvia

Group C
    Sweden
    Finland
    Germany
    Belarus

With 3 groups how do they define the top 8 qualifiers for the quarter final placings?

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    With 3 groups how do they define the top 8 qualifiers for the quarter final placings?
    Must be the top 2+2 best 3rd place teams

Quote Originally Posted by H18sry View Post
    The 12 teams in the men's event are split into three groups of four teams. Following the completion of the group games all teams will be ranked 1 to 12 based on points. The top four ranked teams receive byes to the quarter finals, with the remaining eight teams going into the hat for an elimination round for the remaining four quarter final positions. Following that, the final 8 teams will compete in the quarter finals, down to 4 for the semi finals and then the final 2 meet in the final to determine the gold/silver medalist. The 2 losing semi finalists play off for bronze.

FWIW Higgy, I wouldn't be putting my money on Canada! They may well win it this year but it's far from being a safe bet IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by Killiehibbie View Post
    I remember reading a while about somebody fancying Finland at 20 odd/1, his reasoning being they had a lot of top players and would be underestimated. I know nothing about Ice Hockey and didn't even back them.
    Jambos of hockey, normally have a reasonable defence and a good goalie, but are utter ***** to watch for more than 2 minutes.

ie an outside bet if Kiprusoff has a ridiculously good tournament, but that isn't that likely and even if he does, Canada / Russia should have far too much in the forward areas.

FWIW Higgy, I wouldn't be putting my money on Canada! They may well win it this year but it's far from being a safe bet IMHO!
    Cheers PC, i will have a small wager only. My cousin over there advised the Blackhawks at the start of the season who are going well, he is usually pessimistic about the national team but has hope this year.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 15-02-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: quote fixing

Everyone I've spoken to here is quietly confident about Canada's chances. They know their recent record in Olympic tournaments isn't great but feel the squad of players should be good enough to get them gold.

Most of the chat last week was whether Ryan Getzlaf would be fit enough to be included. He did play for the Ducks against Edmonton on Sunday night so it's looking more likely that he'll make it.

No chance of getting a ticket for any of Team Canada's games but I'm going to see Belarus v Sweden on Friday and looking forward to it immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by PC Stamp View Post
    The 12 teams in the men's event are split into three groups of four teams. Following the completion of the group games all teams will be ranked 1 to 12 based on points. The top four ranked teams receive byes to the quarter finals, with the remaining eight teams going into the hat for an elimination round for the remaining four quarter final positions. Following that, the final 8 teams will compete in the quarter finals, down to 4 for the semi finals and then the final 2 meet in the final to determine the gold/silver medalist. The 2 losing semi finalists play off for bronze.

Cheers C, nice and easy then to work out for the masses.

Jambos of hockey, normally have a reasonable defence and a good goalie, but are utter ***** to watch for more than 2 minutes.

ie an outside bet if Kiprusoff has a ridiculously good tournament, but that isn't that likely and even if he does, Canada / Russia should have far too much in the forward areas.
    Kipper has been the one shining light of brilliance in what has turned into a ****in' nightmare season for the Calgary Flames. I could count on a couple of fingers the games he's played poorly in this season whilst in the main he's kept the Flames in the hunt night after night despite their forwards more often than not looking like they couldn't score in the proverbial barrel of fannies!

USA beat Switzerland 3-1 in the first game, read on the facebook update feed like it was a bit unconvincing, although the Swiss do have a NHL goalie in Hiller (Ducks).

USA beat Switzerland 3-1 in the first game, read on the facebook update feed like it was a bit unconvincing, although the Swiss do have a NHL goalie in Hiller (Ducks).
    The Swiss have quite a few NHLers or NHL prospects. The US were solid, they weren't really tested and did what they had to.

Canada were good.

Gamer IDs

Just so's y'all know - this wasn't me. This was someone else who knows about hockey.

Me, I just like the fights.

Just so's y'all know - this wasn't me. This was someone else who knows about hockey.

Me, I just like the fights.
    Yeah, sorry about that.

Also, I would give up my right lung to see Shea Weber on the Leafs.

Best game of the tournament so far last night, Switzerland took Canada to a shootout, but were finally beaten by Crosby scoring the only goal in the fourth round of shots. Hiller had a great game, but they actually outplayed Canada for most of the second period (and then kind of hung on for dear life for the rest).

Then another surprise in the late game as the Slovaks beat the Russians in another shootout.
    Last edited by Part/Time Supporter; 19-02-2010 at 07:41 AM.

Coaching Staff
    Never thought I'd say this about any sport but of the games I've seen the women's games have been the best to watch.

Plenty technique, passing, interplay and great finishing.

When you see the mens games it's really bitty in comparison, a lot of stramashes and slashing the sticks about trying to get posession and then slapping each other about off the walls.

Whilst that may be more of what the game is all about for some is the women's game actually better to watch to see the actual pass and move part of it??

I also noticed a few cuties in the women's curling too - never thought I'd say that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Never thought I'd say this about any sport but of the games I've seen the women's games have been the best to watch.

When you see the mens games it's really bitty in comparison, a lot of stramashes and slashing the sticks about trying to get posession and then slapping each other about off the walls.

Whilst that may be more of what the game is all about for some is the women's game actually better to watch to see the actual pass and move part of it??

I also noticed a few cuties in the women's curling too - never thought I'd say that either.
    The women have been pretty poor, tbh. I've watched some of Canada's games and there's no real direction at all. There's no competition whatsoever. So all that happens is vastly more talented players circle around the net with the puck. None of their opponents are good enough to get near them, so they mess about on the perimeter until the opposition get tired and defensive breakdowns begin to happen. Then they score.

As far as I can tell, the only variation in play is when the opponents make really stupid decisions instead of getting tired.

It's really rather predictable.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

THAT's what the game IS all about. Not just for some, Andy. I don't think hockey's descended from field hockey as played at school. IIRC it's actually derived from shinty - in other words, yet another Scots contribution to culture, civilisation and bloodshed throughout the world. There are old references to 'Shinney' being played in Nova Scotia - on skates, with 'hurling sticks', aka camans - in the 19th century.

Other ancestors of the game were played by the Native Canadians - I'd guess that those weren't exactly played according to anything approximating to the Queensberry Rules either. I reckon that when the Scots migrants first played the native Mi'kmaqs, the game was born. Below an illustration of the early days....

FWIW, the women are really peeved that they play to stricter rules than the men do - take the physical aspects out of it, and it may be different, but it's not hockey.

And mismatches ending 13-0 or 18-0 aren't entertaining, IMO. I believe that one of the qualifiers ended up something like 87-0.
    Last edited by --------; 20-02-2010 at 01:13 PM.

THAT's what the game IS all about. Not just for some, Andy. I don't think hockey's descended from field hockey as played at school. IIRC it's actually derived from shinty - in other words, yet another Scots contribution to culture, civilisation and bloodshed throughout the world. There are old references to 'Shinney' being played in Nova Scotia - on skates, with 'hurling sticks', aka camans - in the 19th century.

Other ancestors of the game were played by the Native Canadians - I'd guess that those weren't exactly played according to anything approximating to the Queensberry Rules either. I reckon that when the Scots migrants first played the native Mi'kmaqs, the game was born.

FWIW, the women are really peeved that they play to stricter rules than the men do - take the physical aspects out of it, and it may be different, but it's not hockey.
    There's an old Canadian joke: I went to a fight and a hockey match broke out.

There's as much skill and judgement in a clean hit - especially an open-ice hit - as there is in puck handling. One of the things that impresses me most about hockey players is the skill set they possess. Not only do they have the hand-eye co-ordination and touch to pass and shoot with high accuracy; not only are most of these guys world-class skaters; but they can do it all with a 220lb defenceman hanging off them.

And mismatches ending 13-0 or 18-0 aren't entertaining, IMO. I believe that one of the qualifiers ended up something like 87-0.
    In qualification for Vancouver, the Slovakian women beat Bulgaria 82-0. That's a goal every 44 seconds. They were 31-0 after the first period and scored their last five goals in the final 90 seconds of the match. I dunno what the coach was doing, but I'd have been telling them not to shoot long before that point. It obviously wasn't anywhere near competitive and, frankly, a scoreline like that embarrasses the Slovakians as much as their opponents.

It also means they have no right to complain at Canada running the score up against them.
    Last edited by GhostofBolivar; 21-02-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Anyone know what time the big match is tonight? Canada -v- USA?

Thinking about staying up to watch it but not sure what time its on?