hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Greedy st.mirren players ?

are the st.mirren players being a tad greedy regarding league cup bonuses ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...en/8503012.stm

The Buddies players received £1,000 per man for beating Hearts last Tuesday to reach the final against Rangers.

That is £600 less than they received for beating Motherwell in the previous round of the competition.

The players locked the dressing room door after the semi-final win to prevent the directors joining them.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Just shows the difference between the supporters and the players.

Getting to Cup Finals, away wins at tricky venues, qualifying for Europe, Derby wins, ANY win of note etc, means far more to the fans who are watching from the stands than it ever does to the players on the Park.

Seems to be the first thing on the St Mirren players minds after the game was to go in the strop about how much cash they are going to pocket, while the Saints fans no doubt celebrated long into the night looking forward to a trip to Hampden.

Maybe the amount reflects the standard of the team they were playing....

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Seems to be the first thing on the St Mirren players minds after the game was to go in the strop about how much cash they are going to pocket, while the Saints fans no doubt celebrated long into the night looking forward to a trip to Hampden.

yep i thought that myself, i can only imagine it was known before hand what the bonus would have been

Quote Originally Posted by 'Mon the Hibs View Post

Who were they playing? I'm guessing it was some no hopers.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Mon the Hibs View Post
    I can hear what was said in the board room....... we are not giving them 1000 quid for beating that *******, they should be thankful for any bonus at all

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    are the st.mirren players being a tad greedy regarding league cup bonuses ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...en/8503012.stm

The Buddies players received £1,000 per man for beating Hearts last Tuesday to reach the final against Rangers.

That is £600 less than they received for beating Motherwell in the previous round of the competition.

The players locked the dressing room door after the semi-final win to prevent the directors joining them.

Bonuses? For being successful? Dae they think they're bankers? Oh, wait a minute!

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    yep i thought that myself, i can only imagine it was known before hand what the bonus would have been
    Clubs will have set win bonuses for things like the league, and will be the same figure for each league game (maybe with Rangers and Celtic away being slightly more)

There would also be a structured bonus system for cups, as in

Quarter Final - £x
    Semi Final - £y
    Runners Up - £z

Winners £x+y+z

These are all parts of players contracts, so you can see where the players are coming from if they are no paid the agreed fee.

But as another poster said. It means so much more to the fans in the stand than to the Players on the pitch.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Just shows the difference between the supporters and the players.

Getting to Cup Finals, away wins at tricky venues, qualifying for Europe, Derby wins, ANY win of note etc, means far more to the fans who are watching from the stands than it ever does to the players on the Park.

To be fair, I think the St Mirren players celebrated their win. They just didn't allow the directors to come in and bask in the reflected glory.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    I think I agree with the players here. £1000 for each player = less than £20K total. SMFC will make at least £500K from the gate alone for the cup final, never mind all the other revenues.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    I think I agree with the players here. £1000 for each player = less than £20K total. SMFC will make at least £500K from the gate alone for the cup final, never mind all the other revenues.
    Yeah but I bet the budies finances are tight as hell...throwing money at your players is a nil return game.

Lets face it £1,000 bonus for 90 minutes work is hardly a disaster, the players also get to acheive professionally what few will ever do and play in a domestic final.

Still does look a wee bit stingy though and a bit non sensical to pay them less than the previous round but hey that's £2,600 in bonuses for 180 minutes work so then again.....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    I agree with them. The St Mirren board are effectively saying it was more important to get to the semi final than it is the Final. Are they on £500 per man to win the Cup?

Folk are too quick to jump on players’ back because they think they earn too much money.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Would these bonuses not have been agreed before the season started? Or indeed put into their contracts?

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    But do you not think it's probably all about expectations of the board?

At the start of the season, the st mirren board will say, well getting to a cup semi would be great for the club's finances, and we could probably do that. Getting to a final would even better, but we probably won't. Therefore let's set up the bonus scheme so that the guys get a big reward for getting us to the semi, and if they get to the final, that's great, but they'll get less, as we've front loaded the bonus payments.

I've dealt with a lot of companies on incentivising their staff, and you often see there is a bell shaped curve for bonuses, where you actually get little bit less relatively, even though results continue to improve beyond a certain point. As the company doesn't expect you to acheive more than that point. Not very sensible IMO, as it often diminishes the incentives to succeed but a lot of companies do it.