hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The most idiotic piece of refereeing ever...

...was giving that free kick in the first half. Bar none, and there's a few previous candidates, the most ridiculous decision I've ever seen a referee make. Utter balloon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Don't think he knew about playing advantage, I counted five times he stopped the game to give us a free kick when we still had possession in a good position.

Thought this was going to be about the decision to book the Montrose scorer for celebrating with their fans.

That has to be the most anally retentive rule in sport.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Todays ref had clearly never of heard the word "advantage". He was at it all afternoon.

Left by mutual consent! God Petrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thought this was going to be about the decision to book the Montrose scorer for celebrating with their fans.

It's absolutely pathetic that we, as fans, are not allowed to celebrate with players. What is the worst that could happen? I don't support football to sit on my hands for 90 minutes and clap politely when the other team scores. The raw, competitive, spontaneous nature of the sport is why it is so popular and maybe if they relaxed these rediculous rules which punish the true supporters who actually go to games then attendances would increase since the match experience would exceed anything Sky or ESPN can provide.

Never like to criticise refs but he should have been anonymous today. Regrettably some of his decisions re' the advantage rule were awful.

Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post
    It's absolutely pathetic that we, as fans, are not allowed to celebrate with players. What is the worst that could happen? I don't support football to sit on my hands for 90 minutes and clap politely when the other team scores. The raw, competitive, spontaneous nature of the sport is why it is so popular and maybe if they relaxed these rediculous rules which punish the true supporters who actually go to games then attendances would increase since the match experience would exceed anything Sky or ESPN can provide.
    Well to play devil's advocate, it's so that no supporters are injured if there's any mass rushes to the front of the stand. The ref generally has to book players in that case, or else he's going against the directive's he's given.

That said, in certain cases, it's a nonsense ruling. I'd imagine the Montrose player would think it was well worth it though.

Ref got the decision 100% correct. Can be no arguments at all over that booking and the only stupid thing about it was the ridiculous booing from the Hibs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Hibee View Post
    Ref got the decision 100% correct. Can be no arguments at all over that booking and the only stupid thing about it was the ridiculous booing from the Hibs fans.

Clearly the ref today has never played the game. As for us booing, let them have their moment of glory ffs!

I thought the Hibs fans were booing the decision to book the player for celebrating.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    I thought the Hibs fans were booing the decision to book the player for celebrating.

Danny is right - the ref was carrying out the letter of the law. It's just a stupid law. Or have there been many deaths from crowd surges caused by players celebrating with their own fans?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar

That's the way I seen it.

Left by mutual consent!

Stupid booking from the ref, although I take the points made in the thread re the

The game was over, so he should have given the lad a break and let him away with it.

Danny is right - the ref was carrying out the letter of the law. It's just a stupid law. Or have there been many deaths from crowd surges caused by players celebrating with their own fans?
    Theres nothing as inspiring as a player jumping in with the fans after he scores, makes it seem as if they really care as much as we do
    YouTube - Stefano Okaka Chuka Wonder Goal vs Siena

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Theres nothing as inspiring as a player jumping in with the fans after he scores, makes it seem as if they really care as much as we do
    YouTube - Stefano Okaka Chuka Wonder Goal vs Siena[/URL]
    Celebrations like that are why Italian football is the best in Europe.

Agreed Fergus although I git the feeling that Muir was almost embarrassed at having to show the card. Oh wait, if he wants to look embarrassed he should have another look at all the advantage rules he didn't play
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_Hibee View Post
    Exactly. The referee had no option.

If he failed to book the guy he would have been in trouble from the referee's supervisor.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    In my game today we were trailing 1-0 with two mins left, we were pushing for the equaliser so left ourselves 2 on 2 at the back, they broke, got a few men up the park quickly, their right winger slid a pass across the 6 yard box and their striker tucked it past our keeper. HOWEVER, the boy that scored shouted LEAVE IT loudly to his teamate who was at the front post. Although none of my team were put off by his shout the ref disallowed it. Again, he was correct by the letter of the law. My captain then missed an OPEN GOAL from 8 yards in the 94th min It took a horrible bobble jst as he was putting his foot thru it They would have been ragin if it had gone in.

@hibs.net private member Silver Fox's Avatar

same as Galbraith getting booked at Darkheid, after scoring the winner. ridiculous rule, all the more frustrating when not applied consistently by all refs but the ones who do follow it to the letter, looking silly on these two occasions.

Very frustrating refereeing today...the whistle was blown on at leat half a dozen occasions far too quickly when there was a clear advantage developing.

Ref looked more nervous than Montrose's defence and by the letter of the law the farcical booking at Montrose goal was correct. Don't blame the ref for that one tho', he probably had a couple of SFA jobsworths in the stands just gagging to pull him up for showing some common sense.

In all fairness to the ref, he looked very apologetic about booking the player, so can't really blame him.

Left by mutual consent!
    The ref got it right going by the rules (pity he didnae ken the advantage rule so well ), for me it's pity the rule exists at all though, pathetic IMO, over officious busy bodies trying and unfortunately succedding tae remove the passion and excitement from the game. So what if players celebrate with their own supporters.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Japhakayk
    The way I understand it the bookings for shirt removal and going into the crowd are purely commercial. The club is sponsored by a company who put their name and logo on the front of the shirt for advertising. The one time that advert is seen by the most people is when a player scores and celebrates a goal (think of how many times Sky show a goal replay - at least a dozen) and the goals are shown over and over on Sky news and Match of the Day etc. It's just a testament to how much the game has sold it's soul.

Incidentally, the referee WAS playing advantage on the Wotherspoon foul - he waited until DW had wrestled his way past and then blew. That's how utterly stupid and ridiculous the situation was. Total clown...

It's always an excuse used by the refs in this situation that they 'had to book him, because that's the rules'

It's a shame it's about the only rule they all seem to be consistent about.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBall'sRound View Post
    The way I understand it the bookings for shirt removal and going into the crowd are purely commercial. The club is sponsored by a company who put their name and logo on the front of the shirt for advertising. The one time that advert is seen by the most people is when a player scores and celebrates a goal (think of how many times Sky show a goal replay - at least a dozen) and the goals are shown over and over on Sky news and Match of the Day etc. It's just a testament to how much the game has sold it's soul.

Incidentally, the referee WAS playing advantage on the Wotherspoon foul - he waited until DW had wrestled his way past and then blew. That's how utterly stupid and ridiculous the situation was. Total clown...
    It's the first time I can remember seeing a referee wait to make sure we had an advantage before pulling it back. Shocking decision.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I think the last two refs have introduced handicap football to the Scottish Cup, it is almost like since they are the underdogs we`ll have a different set of rules, i`d like to see the Stokes penalty incident again and i`d like to know how many times Wotherspoon was fouled and adavantage wasn`t played.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    Well to play devil's advocate, it's so that no supporters are injured if there's any mass rushes to the front of the stand. The ref generally has to book players in that case, or else he's going against the directive's he's given.

That said, in certain cases, it's a nonsense ruling. I'd imagine the Montrose player would think it was well worth it though.
    Is it not something to do with sponsors wanting to make sure their logos are picked up by the camera as the goal scorer celebrates. Or am I just too cynical?

As for the worst refereeing decision ever, I think I've seen worse - especially when the OF are in town. What about that AndyDavis decision against the Yams a couple of years back?

Blog Entries
    We all know the rule about running into the crowd & so do the players so how stupid do you have to be to do it? In the case of the Montrose lad there's no problem, he'll probably get more publicity for this than for his goal! Football's been played for well over a century without players feeling the need to pull shirts over their heads, sending written thanks to God or pretending to shoot a teammate, Yams copywright!
    I can totally understand spontaneous celebration but synchronised baby rocking or whatever is IMO a pile of keek, or maybe I'm just a grumpy old git!

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post
    It's the first time I can remember seeing a referee wait to make sure we had an advantage before pulling it back. Shocking decision.
    Thats the way I saw it. He didnt blow too quickly and then apologise. He waited until the advantage looked likely and then blew his whistle. It was bad doing it once, but he did it at least 3 times.