hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough onemcnamara's Avatar

Andy McNeil (please don't boo him)

After the treatment of DVZ last week can we please not boo ex-players who get transferred without asking to go. Especially when they are born and bred Hibbies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by onemcnamara View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the treatment of DVZ last week can we please not boo ex-players who get transferred without asking to go. Especially when they are born and bred Hibbies.
    But let's not go all gaga and misty-eyed over them either?

I'll hurl filthy abuse at whoever I want-it is my right as a fan.

Sorry -thought I would help the thread along.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I think a sensible request not to boo a player that was dumped by our previous manager is hardly being misty eyed.

Andy McNeil deserves a bit of respect from every Hibs fan, he played his part in winning the cup in 2007 and he'll get a wee bit of applause from me when he takes the field tomorrow.

He's a very good shot stopper and although I expect to win the game quite comfortably he is capable of making that quite difficult, hope he has a good game but just not too good....

First Team Breakthrough onemcnamara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    Don't think you could get misty eyed over an ex-Hibs goalie

Agreed. It may not have come of for Andy - be he is a good Hibs fan and deserves respect.

Remember his save to keep it at 0-0 in the cup final. Could have been a very different game had it gone in.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

What happened to DVZ last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser_Sauzee View Post
    Remember his save to keep it at 0-0 in the cup final. Could have been a very different game had it gone in.
    That save is one of the biggest myths in Hibbydom tbh.

Feel sorry for McNeil, we needed an experienced keeper to settle the fans goalkeeper jitters post Zibi and Brown, right place at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    What happened to DVZ last week?
    He surprisingly got boo'd by a section of the support, really wasn't sure why, he's never said anything bad about the club that I'm aware of.

I've seen much worse players in a Hibs shirt than DVZ.

@hibs.net private member
    Andy McNeil deserves to be cheered as he is one a few Hibs fans to have actually won anything whilst playing for the club we all love

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post

Feel sorry for McNeil, we needed an experienced keeper to settle the fans goalkeeper jitters post Zibi and Brown, right place at the wrong time.

Yup. Just watched it - it isn't that special.

Personally, I hope he has a miserable game on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck is God View Post
    He surprisingly got boo'd by a section of the support, really wasn't sure why, he's never said anything bad about the club that I'm aware of.

DVZ was boo-ed for not meeting the expectations of the fans and for having the audacity to wear the green when he wasn't 'Hibs Class'.

Personally, I'll only boo Lofty if he plays a blinder.

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    So you won't be booing him if we're 0-1 down with five minutes left and piling the pressure on his goal then?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Agreed. It may not have come of for Andy - be he is a good Hibs fan and deserves respect.

aye, and he plays for montrose!!! How much would it make u cringe if some hibbies booed him?

Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post

Myths are somethings that might not have happened.His fine save in the final did, and it did make a difference at the time.Your not giving the guy anywhere near enough credit for it.Why is it so difficult for some to give him a bit credit for his contribution to a great day for his and our club?

Blog Entries
    I think a sensible request not to boo a player that was dumped by our previous manager is hardly being misty eyed.

Andy McNeil deserves a bit of respect from every Hibs fan, he played his part in winning the cup in 2007 and he'll get a wee bit of applause from me when he takes the field tomorrow.

He's a very good shot stopper and although I expect to win the game quite comfortably he is capable of making that quite difficult, hope he has a good game but just not too good....
    Couldn't agree more, let's cheer him on to the park, again at start of 2nd half & stick a few past him in between.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lEXO View Post
    Myths are somethings that might not have happened.His fine save in the final did, and it did make a difference at the time.Your not giving the guy anywhere near enough credit for it.Why is it so difficult for some to give him a bit credit for his contribution to a great day for his and our club?
    If we're talking about the save from Naismith's back-header at the corner early on, the only reason that that save looks 'fine' is because McNeil's a good bit shorter than your average goalkeeper. He's caught flat-footed, well back on his heels, and scoops a ball over the line for a second corner that any of our four present senior keepers would have gathered to hand quite comfortably.

It's hardly a world-shattering save.

Throughout that first half he was regularly (and easily) out-jumped by Steven Naismith, for crying out loud.

It's not about denying him credit - it's about telling it as it is rather than creating legends where no legend exists.

Like I say, I hope he has a thoroughly miserable afternoon tomorrow.

Edit: He actually makes a much better save from the follow-up to a Killie freekick when the score was 1-0.
    Last edited by --------; 05-02-2010 at 01:01 PM.

hope andy Mc has a good game tomorrow! should be playing at a higher level IMO

I doubt he'd attractive any negative attention - he won a trophy with Hibs, that should be the be all and end all. I hope he was no chance with any of the seven goals we score. At least. I'll even allow him one last minute wonder save that keeps it at 7-0.

Will applaud him as he runs towards the FF stand but hope he has a nightmare on saturday. Wish him all the best except when he plays Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheyWhite View Post
    I doubt he'd attractive any negative attention - he won a trophy with Hibs, that should be the be all and end all. I hope he was no chance with any of the seven goals we score. At least. I'll even allow him one last minute wonder save that keeps it at 7-0.
    More to the point, although McNeil did have the odd disaster (particularly in derbies), he was no Simon Brown, let alone Zibi.

I think some people are taking this thread off topic.

Regardless of the quality of the player, I see no reason to boo the guy when he's shown no disrespect to Hibs. Same with DVZ.

If a player is released, yet doesn't bad mouth the club or anyone at it, what exactly is their crime?

I'll be cheering Andy onto the park. He's a local lad from Leith, a dyed-in-the-wall Hibby, by all accounts an all-round good egg, and one of the three living goalkeepers with a Hibs medal from a major domestic trophy.

What's not to cheer?

His only 'crimes' if you can call them that, are 1. Short-arsedness, 2. Having the misfortune to be pitched early because when we had the worse two Hibernian keepers in living memory (in your face Olly G!) and being supported by a goalkeeping coach who managed to turn the promising into mediocre and the medicore into blind, blundering drunkards flailing around in the box. Apparently his training methods included spraying amonia in their eyes and nailing one foot to the ground.

So let's give him a sporting cheer, while screaming 'lob him' every time a Hibs forward gets the ball in their half.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

That's an odd one. Not his fault that he was never a good enough player to be in our team and to be fair on him, once Hughes had made that plain to him, he did not sit around on his erchie picking up wages.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    theres a reason why motrose are at the bottom of division 3 with a goal difference of -20

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanduff View Post
    theres a reason why motrose are at the bottom of division 3 with a goal difference of -20
    Lack of a striker?

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanduff View Post
    that's a lot of lobs

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Dont you think that's mental;he's playing for the worst professional team in scotland(atm) but three years ago won the cis cup