hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Long suffering's Avatar

Hibs in English Championship?

I was just looking at that unemployed football players website that was posted by someone from another thread. The same site shows all of the European Leagues and the Market value of each of the squads. We stand at £19 million, (admittedly some of the figures are dodgy such as £800,000 for stevenson ) which would be about 14th in the Engish Championship.I was wondering, (ignoring the increased money recieved from TV deals etc) where people think our current squad would come n the Coca-Cola Championship? Would we be battling for survival or mid-table-ish?
    http://transfermarkt.at/de/wettbewer...tartseite.html

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Long suffering View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was just looking at that unemployed football players website that was posted by someone from another thread. The same site shows all of the European Leagues and the Market value of each of the squads. We stand at £19 million, (admittedly some of the figures are dodgy such as £800,000 for stevenson ) which would be about 14th in the Engish Championship.I was wondering, (ignoring the increased money recieved from TV deals etc) where people think our current squad would come n the Coca-Cola Championship? Would we be battling for survival or mid-table-ish?
    http://transfermarkt.at/de/wettbewer...tartseite.html
    mid table

i think the championship is alot better than the spl. id say just above relegation

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMcGinn1 View Post
    i think the championship is alot better than the spl. id say just above relegation
    hmmm personally think its a tad over-rated i was at newcastle v bristol and wasnt terribly impressed by bristol. id say about mid-table

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Standard in the Championship outside of the top of the table clubs isn't great. Charlie Adam won Player of the Month for January

We would be top half of the table no problem with the current team.

Top ends easily. The majority of our squad could cut it at that level or better (Smith, Brown, Murray, Bamba, Miller, Wotherspoon, Gow, Stokes, Riordan I would say)

Then of course with increased budgets we could add to the squad anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HibeeMcGinn1 View Post
    Wot 'e sed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Standard in the Championship outside of the top of the table clubs isn't great. Charlie Adam won Player of the Month for January

We would be top half of the table no problem with the current team.

actually in saying that i kinda agree

First Team Breakthrough
    You'd do fine. Your current squad with the Hughes factor could easily challenge for the playoffs.

We'd do well. With the extra money we would be in and around the play offs.

First Team Regular ChrissyG1875's Avatar
    I think we'd be up there, fighting for promotion.

Perhaps we should beat the OF to it then?SPL too small for us.

If we were like we have been in general for the last few years then bottom half, if we were like we are this season then top 10, however if we played like we did vs Hamilton more often then top 6

How come then the standard of the SPL gets so much stick while the championship is considered a competitive good league if we could comfortably hold are own in it?
    Last edited by Long suffering; 04-02-2010 at 04:39 PM. Reason: d

Quote Originally Posted by Long suffering View Post
    How come then the standard of the SPL gets so much stick while the championship is considered a competitive good league if we could comfortably hold or own in it?
    The SPL is Scottish. Therefore it has to be put down and given a kick in.

It's "cool" on .net to have a go at the SPL and call it **** while having a right good thomas tank over English football.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I reckon we're nearer League One, albeit the upper end.

I think we undersell the quality of football up here and the players.

Last night Dorrans, Dobbie, Bednar all scored for teams in the play off places. Guys like McFadden, O'Connor, Ferguson, Caldwell, Fletcher, Murphy, Berra, Hutton, McCarthy, Scotland and probably a few others are all easily getting their game in the Prem. In addition there is Thompson, Burke, McCormack, Snodgrass, Hart, Wallace, Shiels, Jones, Speroni, Rae, Marshall etc all playing in the top half of the Championship. Arguably many of these failed in the SPL.

Hibs have better general quality than most of these players. I think a few of our players could play for play off teams in the Championship or in the lower part of the Prem. One or two could potentially play up the league a bit either now or in the future.

I think we'd be challenging to win that league particularly if there was ongoing better revenues coming in.

If you think there is such a wide gap then just watch Kamara v Killie. Or for that matter Keane although I'm sure the latter will come good for Celtic over next few weeks.

I think hibs would be tucked in just behind Leeds and charlton in league one but at a push would like to think we are better than scunthorpe at bottom of championship.

Preston tanked us pre season and it wasn't a fluke

To suggest hibs would be bottom premiership is nonsense. Burnley, wolves, Pompey, hull etc would kill us although I'd fancy us to score.

Nottm Forrest Newcastle and west brom would beat us consistently as well.

First year, I think we would fighting to stay up !

I am talking about the first season, with this squad and the way we are playing.

Although we are quite resilient this year, fact is out football is not yet high quality, certainly not consistent and we have trouble holding on to the ball.

I am not saying we would not improve as our players individually have good skills, but as a team?

Sorry, but no St. Johnstones, St. Mirrens, Hamiltons or even Hearts who could not score on a school desk with a Swiss Army knife.

Average attendance would have us down with Preston N.E. at 18th/19th, about 12,700, which could only expected to rise significantly if we were doing well.

Just my opinion.

Massively overrated. We'd be top 4.

Quote Originally Posted by forestlad View Post
    You'd do fine. Your current squad with the Hughes factor could easily challenge for the playoffs.

Hey! What's with the 'You'd'

I thought you were one of us when you were up here, or chatting in cyberland.
    Space to let

No matter what anyone says it's a tight league with not a lot between top and bottom in terms of difference.

I think the way we've played this season we would be top 6.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    I think we'd scrape into a play-off position, we'd struggle away from home IMO.

I think with our exciting brand of football and quality players we would add to our current squad with the increased money would certainly make us promotion candidates.

Onwards and upwards.

If we ever got intot he EPL, I think we woudl certainly hold our own. Look at the likes of Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn. Small town teams that manage to stay up. We are much bigger and potentially better.

Left by mutual consent!
    I wonder if English club message boards for Championship, League One & Two consistently have threads on how well they would do in the SPL.

I think we'd do okay, probably mid/lower championship but with our infrastructure the way it is going i.e. nearly complete and relatively low debt then we could probably push on from there.

In light of WGS bidding £2m for Mr. Charles Adam, a hun I work with laughed when I said Hibs would beat Blackpool. I think we would beat Blackpool, but this hun defo thought not.

Left by mutual consent! SouthamptonHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    Preston tanked us pre season and it wasn't a fluke

To suggest hibs would be bottom premiership is nonsense. Burnley, wolves, Pompey, hull etc would kill us although I'd fancy us to score.

Nottm Forrest Newcastle and west brom would beat us consistently as well.
    Using that logic then we would do all right in the EPL

We drew Ov0 v Blackburn and Bolton away, with pretty mush there best teams.

I watch the EPL (Pompey), SPL and league one footbal. Hibs are defo above league one (Southampton), and would comfortably live in the premiership. The EPl is a different kettle of fish. It's a world league with some of the best players in the world in it, not sure we would survive in the top flight. Al the teams in the bottom half have most of there team the same size as Bamba!!

look at is this way Barsnely, Sheff Wed, sheff Utd, Blackpool etc are in the championship, if Hibs we getting increased revenue and could compete with the wages then where would you choose to play your football any of these places or Edinburgh!!! Edinburgh would win for a cert. Hibs would get bigger crowds as we wouldn't be playing the same teams every 6 weeks.

But hey i love the SPL, Hibs are on the up!! Lets party:notworthy: Roll on the 27th for my next trip to ER hail hail

Lee Miller is thought good enough for a recently relegated Prem side. I rest my case.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Quote Originally Posted by Tory Hibby View Post
    Lee Miller is thought good enough for a recently relegated Prem side. I rest my case.
    Ah but that's cause Strachan actually think's he can raid the SPL and get Boro promoted cause of it, but he's wrong.