hibs.net Messageboard

Rangers first goal v Saints, legal or not?

Rangers player clearly puts both feet down behind the goal line, then lifts one foot to hook ball into net.
    Is this legal in the laws of football?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Technically no. He should have re-entered the field of play before becoming legally active.

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Technically no. He should have re-entered the field of play before becoming legally active.
    Don't think so. A player taking a shy doesn't need to 're-enter play'.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Surely his foot must have re-entered the field of play to kick the ball into the net. It is impossible to do that from behind the line.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. ****gy View Post
    Don't think so. A player taking a shy doesn't need to 're-enter play'.
    Inswinging corners start with both feet behind the goal line, and one foot entering the field of play to hook the ball goalwards.

He wasn't told to leave the field nor did he intentionally leave the field therefore he has no reason to wait to be allowed to re-enter play.

It's the same if a player slides off the park with a sliding tackle or crosses the ball and his momentum carries him over the goal line, they don't have to be waved back on and this is no different. He accidentally stepped off the park and reacted quicker than the defenders, perfectly good goal.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    IMO, the shy and corner kick things are irrelevant. The game is dead until the kick or throw is taken, at which point the player is on the park.

As for the Davis thing, I think "intent" is the important thing. He clearly didn't intend to run over the line; it was his momentum. However, if he had deliberately done it... eg to avoid being offside.. and then run back in to the park, that's a booking I believe.

Fact is the standing foot was outside the line there fore he was off the feild of play and the goal should have been disallowed, but hey this is Rangers.

@hibs.net private member
    The old firm get enough decisions giving to them, but this one was fine. It was a goal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs7 View Post
    Fact is the standing foot was outside the line there fore he was off the feild of play and the goal should have been disallowed, but hey this is Rangers.
    Sorry, but that is irrelevant. Not in the laws of the game anywhere.

Foreverhibs has summed it uo perfectly above.

What if a player is dribbling the ball down the touch line and steps off the field of play and back on. Or if the ball is running out of play and he stops it on the line and his momentum carries him off the field of play then he turns and continues playing the ball whilst his body is initially off the field of play.

Difficult to explain

As long as the ball is in play, then it shouldn't matter. Its not like rugby where the player carrying the ball would be out of play if his body went outside the field of play.

Therefore, I believe the goal was rightly given

First Team Breakthrough supershotmo's Avatar
    Not caring.

I had £5 on him for anytime scorer @ 11/2.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Mon the Hibs View Post
    What if a player is dribbling the ball down the touch line and steps off the field of play and back on. Or if the ball is running out of play and he stops it on the line and his momentum carries him off the field of play then he turns and continues playing the ball whilst his body is initially off the field of play.

Difficult to explain

As long as the ball is in play, then it shouldn't matter. Its not like rugby where the player carrying the ball would be out of play if his body went outside the field of play.

Therefore, I believe the goal was rightly given

That's my understanding of it.

First Team Breakthrough Hibee_Rab's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rabferg
    A players automatically offside if they leave the field of play, but since he wasn't off the field of play when the shot which the keeper saved into him was hit I think it was a legal goal.