hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Players not celebrating out of respect.

Robbie Keane is this personified. Whenever he has scored against a team he has previously played for he slopes off with a stern look on his face leaving his team mates celebrating around him.

I also remember Grant Brebner scoring against us and he was almost holding his hands up apologising to us.

People who do that seem to be held in high regard for some reason because they don't wan't to disrespect their former employers or the team they support but I see it the other way...I see it as being simply direspectful towards the team that they play for now and the team that pays their wages. It's also disrespecting your current team mates.

I can't remember a Hibs player ever doing this but if he did I'd be going mental. He's one of us and should be celebrating with us 100%. If he didn't I'd question his loyalty to the shirt.

If I was lucky enough to be a professional footballer and ever scored at Easter Road for another team I would go mental...and probably in front of the East. Not because I disrespect hibs but because I know people in there and I am playing for the team who's shirt I wear...and that's all that should count during the ninety minutes.

To me, people like Keane aren't fully commited to their shirt...which is why he has probably moved on so much in his career.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Derek Riordan did not celebrate when he scored against us, at easter road.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peterdouglas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Robbie Keane is this personified. Whenever he has scored against a team he has previously played for he slopes off with a stern look on his face leaving his team mates celebrating around him.

I also remember Grant Brebner scoring against us and he was almost holding his hands up apologising to us.

People who do that seem to be held in high regard for some reason because they don't wan't to disrespect their former employers or the team they support but I see it the other way...I see it as being simply direspectful towards the team that they play for now and the team that pays their wages. It's also disrespecting your current team mates.

I can't remember a Hibs player ever doing this but if he did I'd be going mental. He's one of us and should be celebrating with us 100%. If he didn't I'd question his loyalty to the shirt.

If I was lucky enough to be a professional footballer and ever scored at Easter Road for another team I would go mental...and probably in front of the East. Not because I disrespect hibs but because I know people in there and I am playing for the team who's shirt I wear...and that's all that should count during the ninety minutes.

To me, people like Keane aren't fully commited to their shirt...which is why he has probably moved on so much in his career.
    So you would go mental in a Hearts strip if you scored at ER?

Personally, I don't see celebrating/non celebrating as respectful or disrespectful.

It's simply down to the players choice.

As long as he is fully committed during game play, then it shouldn't really matter whether he celebrates or not.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    I don't really care what a player does, the fact that he's scored a goal suggests he's fully committed. Celebrations are generally overdone now anyone. It's refreshing to watch old football matches of Hibs and see the players simply pat each other on the back and get back to the halfway line. There's a certain amount of confidence and self belief displayed when player's don't really celebrate (as if it's all just business as usual).

Footballers are too quick to forget where they came from and who helped make them what they are. Petulantly goading people who were once your family (and did nothing abhorrent to you) always strikes me as a slap in the face. For me, I think it's the teammates of the player who scored for them who are being disrespectful if they can't fulfill their mate's simple wish to refrain from jumping around for one bloody second.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    So you would go mental in a Hearts strip if you scored at ER?

Personally, I don't see celebrating/non celebrating as respectful or disrespectful.

It's simply down to the players choice.

As long as he is fully committed during game play, then it shouldn't really matter whether he celebrates or not.
    Yes, I probably would....purely to show unity with my team mates and the fans who pay my wages who would also be going mental.

I think celebrating with your team mates actually shows commitment during play. If you don't celebrate then you are alienating yourself in some way from the rest of your team and putting personal preferences first during the ninety minutes.

As for Derek, I can't remember that but how long did he last at Celtic?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Jumping into the away support to embrace his 'new family' seemed like a pretty big celebration to me. Incidentally, I remember Kevin Thomson abstaining from celebrating on his first game back at E.R when Rangers scored.

Carlos Tevez refused to celebrate when he scored against his former club West Ham for Man City.

When he scored against United I seem to recall a celebration!

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    I remember Thompson at that game too - he left badly but always thought that was a mark of respect. Don't see how that could be taken badly.

Quote Originally Posted by shamo9 View Post
    I don't really care what a player does, the fact that he's scored a goal suggests he's fully committed. Celebrations are generally overdone now anyone. It's refreshing to watch old football matches of Hibs and see the players simply pat each other on the back and get back to the halfway line. There's a certain amount of confidence and self belief displayed when player's don't really celebrate (as if it's all just business as usual).

Footballers are too quick to forget where they came from and who helped make them what they are. Petulantly goading people who were once your family (and did nothing abhorrent to you) always strikes me as a slap in the face. For me, I think it's the teammates of the player who scored for them who are being disrespectful if they can't fulfill their mate's simple wish to refrain from jumping around for one bloody second.
    I'm not talking about cartwheels etc...I'm just talking about showing some pleasure in the fact you've scored and a bit of emotion.

The matches you were watching must have been from the fifties.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Jumping into the away support to embrace his 'new family' seemed like a pretty big celebration to me. Incidentally, I remember Kevin Thomson abstaining from celebrating on his first game back at E.R when Rangers scored.
    Not how i remember it. He came in late at the far post, to squeeze in a shot. His momentum took him and the ensuing players into the fans. He had no smile, and never raised his hands in glory. He celebrates when he scores for us, and that was nowhere near a celebration imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    I remember Thompson at that game too - he left badly but always thought that was a mark of respect. Don't see how that could be taken badly.
    That was up to the Rangers fans.

Think he was booked for his celebration as it was so OTT

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RAFFERTY X
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Carlos Tevez refused to celebrate when he scored against his former club West Ham for Man City.

No wonder, im on players sides when they get abuse from fans the whole game then when they score and celebrate infront of them the fans go crazy and go on about how outrageous it is, if fans give out all that abuse they should be able to take some back, Tevez got abuse from Man.Utd fans.

Henrik Larsson didn't celebrate his goal for Barcelona against Celtic in Glasgow.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Yes, I probably would....purely to show unity with my team mates and the fans who pay my wages who would also be going mental.
    I think celebrating with your team mates actually shows commitment during play. If you don't celebrate then you are alienating yourself in some way from the rest of your team and putting personal preferences first during the ninety minutes.

As for Derek, I can't remember that but how long did he last at Celtic?
    Even if there's no guarantee of your wages being paid on time?

I could never "go mental" with another team if I scored at ER.

I would probably have a light celebration, but that would be it.

The away fans would be too busy cheering to pay any attention to what i'm doing after the goal.

Denis Law probably most famous he cried i think

Gamer IDs

Did people not kick up a big fuss when Murray gave Hibs fans the finger at Ibrox?

Gamer IDs

Not how i remember it. He came in late at the far post, to squeeze in a shot. His momentum took him and the ensuing players into the fans. He had no smile, and never raised his hands in glory. He celebrates when he scores for us, and that was nowhere near a celebration imho.
    Just watched the game on Hibs TV and he shakes the hand of a few Celtic fans in the crowd, walks away grinning - which, considering he's usually in a perpetual state of moaning, is quite easy to spot - and gives a double high five to a teammate. Not that it really matters any more though.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    I actually respect players that don't celebrate when scoring against former teams. And for the record I dont think Deek's was a celebration his momentum carried him into the unwashed.

@hibs.net private member _hucks_'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudster View Post
    Think he was booked for his celebration as it was so OTT
    His momentum carried him into the crowd and he got booked, but he hit it after sprinting down to the touchline and there was little he could have done.

Quote Originally Posted by simply the best View Post
    Denis Law probably most famous he cried i think
    Nearly.

I was standing right behind the goal in that match.

The ball came across the goal with Law having his back to goal just in front of the line.

The world seemed to stop Law hesitated for a moment and then cooly backheeled the ball into the net.

Seconds later the final whistle went and City had won at Old Trafford in the League for the sixth time out of seven matches (the other was a draw).

The truth landed that United were down. In fact they needed a real combination of results to stay up and would have gone down even with a win as Birmingham also won.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Naw PSN ID: Naw Wii Code: Naw
    Just watched the game on Hibs TV and he shakes the hand of a few Celtic fans in the crowd, walks away grinning - which, considering he's usually in a perpetual state of moaning, is quite easy to spot - and gives a double high five to a teammate. Not that it really matters any more though.
    Given his aversion to Wee GS's exclusion of him from the team, yer the Celtc support at that time thought he was worth more "game time", it was a hiding to nothing for him scoring at ER

He got a goal for them against us didnae intend to do anything other than raise his arm, but was carried away with the momemtum of his teamates IMO

What do you expect him to do...smack their faces and run to the East stand to plead for apologies

And Hearts strikers don't celebrate if they score...

Hard to celebrate when you are in shock !

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post

IIRC he scored against the Irons in the colours of Utd and refused to celebrate.

Go to 3:39 on YouTube - Hibs 3 Celtic 2. This is a great way to disrespect a team that kick-started his career. Disgusting

Great game mind ;)

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

I have never seen Nade celebrating much, but that may be for other reasons.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

In what game did Grant Brebner score against us?

Not doubting you but cannot remember it.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    The number of times Lofty got beaten from an angle like that wasn't funny.

@hibs.net private member
    Riordan did celebrate his goal against us. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, as I think players should celebrate scoring, even when against a club they used to play for.

Promising Youngster Hibee-Rocker's Avatar
    Im no a big fan of players over celebrating a goal anyway, to celebrate going 1 nil up like you have just won the cup in first half is too much, just a little celebration is fine, and keep your head on the job still to do..then if that done at end of the game, then celebrate away..