hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Ian Murray Update

Nothing earth shattering but noticed this.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-21995795/

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibernian look to tie up new deal for Ian Murray

Jan 26 2010 Alan Marshall

Hibs manager John Hughes last night revealed he is hopeful of signing vice-captain Ian Murray on an extended deal.

The 28-year-old defender has been one of the Easter Road side's top performers this season and his surging runs from full-back were once again a feature in Saturday's 5-1 hammering of Hamilton.

But the Scotland cap is out of contract at the end of the season and talks on a new deal have so far failed to reach a conclusion since beginning at the turn of the year.

Murray is keen to stay in the capital but, having entered the final six months of his contract, is now free to hold talks with other clubs and a return to English football, where he suffered a disappointing spell with Norwich, is a possibility.

Hughes has confessed he is desperate to hang on to the versatile player, who returned to his boyhood heroes two years ago after leaving for Rangers on a Bosman free transfer in 2005.

He said: "Ian Murray is one that I'm hoping we can all put to bed.

"He's everything I want at the club, he's had a right good season so hopefully something will happen.

"But football's football and everyone is entitled to do what they want. We're entitled to look somewhere and they are as well.

"I'd like to think he will be staying with us and he will sign his contract."

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibernian look to tie up new deal for Ian Murray

Jan 26 2010 Alan Marshall

Hibs manager John Hughes last night revealed he is hopeful of signing vice-captain Ian Murray on an extended deal.

The 28-year-old defender has been one of the Easter Road side's top performers this season and his surging runs from full-back were once again a feature in Saturday's 5-1 hammering of Hamilton.

But the Scotland cap is out of contract at the end of the season and talks on a new deal have so far failed to reach a conclusion since beginning at the turn of the year. Murray is keen to stay in the capital but, having entered the final six months of his contract, is now free to hold talks with other clubs and a return to English football, where he suffered a disappointing spell with Norwich, is a possibility.

Hughes has confessed he is desperate to hang on to the versatile player, who returned to his boyhood heroes two years ago after leaving for Rangers on a Bosman free transfer in 2005.

He said: "Ian Murray is one that I'm hoping we can all put to bed.

"He's everything I want at the club, he's had a right good season so hopefully something will happen.

"But football's football and everyone is entitled to do what they want. We're entitled to look somewhere and they are as well.

"I'd like to think he will be staying with us and he will sign his contract."
    Barr going to them siply strenghten IM's position, and I hope Hibs have the good sense to give IM the reward his flexibility and performances merit. He is better than Barr, and we'd be insane to let him go again IMHO.

Signing Murray should be the number 1 priority of the board at the moment. I genuinely worry about the back 4 without Nid.

@hibs.net private member
    Murray deserves to be among the top earners. Been far and away our best player since returning to the club.

IM wants to stay at Hibs and the only thing stoping him signing is the value of the contract.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    will be a huge loss if he left. As far as i am aware he doesnt want to leave ER. get him signed up give him what he wants as he is one of, if not the most consistently brilliant player in a green and white shirt week in week out!
    Hibernian Football Club

This has to be our top priority.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Quiet_Man View Post
    Barr going to them siply strenghten IM's position, and I hope Hibs have the good sense to give IM the reward his flexibility and performances merit. He is better than Barr, and we'd be insane to let him go again IMHO.

Spot on. If given the choice between giving Ian a new contract or him leaving and Barr coming in I'd take the Murray option every time. He's been superb since he has returned to the club two years ago. And to think I was one of the ones who didn't want him back.

Murray is vital to the team. He's got the commitment in games, shows passion, is consistent and never lets the team down.

The guy should be amongst the top earners, let's no arse about Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I'd rather see IM sign a new contract than have three new signings. He's vital to this team.

BH.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Agree that Barr not signing will strengthen his position however given the respective ages and IM's injury past not sure he could be seen as a better signing. He would be an important signing now though.

hibs should have had him tied up ages ago they do this once 2 often and players leave 4 nowt a hope he dose get tied down 2 a longer contract

p.s why dose every 1 call ian murray nid?

Quote Originally Posted by smurf View Post
    In a nutshell.

If the Yams think we're serious about retaining Murray they'll soon be in with an offer...

Coaching Staff
    I'm sure it is, but if we offer him the best we can and he wants more, then it's Murray walking all over again.

I'm sure Hibs will get the stick for it if it happens but if we can have guys like Miller, Riordan and Stokes within our budget I'm sure Murray can be accomodated unless he's being silly.

I don't believe for a minute we'll offer him any less than those, despite all the usual in the know comments.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    I wonder how long a deal IM is looking for?

Would imagine at least 3 years perhaps even 4 which would take him up to 31/32 years in age - when you put that into perspective it really is the last big deal he is going to sign in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    I wonder how long a deal IM is looking for?

Would imagine at least 3 years perhaps even 4 which would take him up to 31/32 years in age - when you put that into perspective it really is the last big deal he is going to sign in his career.

He'll be 29 next month.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs is life View Post
    p.s why dose every 1 call ian murray nid?
    Because that's his nickname

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney McGrew View Post
    Because that's his nickname
    But why?

He's not from Niddrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I'm sure it is, but if we offer him the best we can and he wants more, then it's Murray walking all over again.

I'm sure Hibs will get the stick for it if it happens but if we can have guys like Miller, Riordan and Stokes within our budget I'm sure Murray can be accomodated unless he's being silly.

I don't believe for a minute we'll offer him any less than those, despite all the usual in the know comments.
    I'm not so sure... As he has no re-sale value unlike those you mention...

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    But why?

He's not from Niddrie.
    Lateral thinking there DH!

Maybe he doesn't have to as it might mean something else?

Didn't King Paddy get called the same too?

Quote Originally Posted by TornadoHibby View Post
    Didn't King Paddy get called the same too?
    Yes, but he was from Niddrie. Niddrie's finest in fact.

Coaching Staff
    I would doubt that has too much to do with it, they all know murray isa key player who could see out his career with us and we'd be delightd never tyo get any sell on value and astill pay him up there with the rest.

Can't help but feel he might think he has one more crack at England in him and he'll walk again!

With Hibs getting blamed for not offering enough of course as is the way of things!

Unlike the last time when Murray came through the youth set up, Hibs can now put him down in the accounts as an asset and thus depreciate his value over the contract term.
    Glory glory

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    We really need to get him tied up on a long term deal quickly. A lot of clubs will definately be keeping a close eye on Murray and will be ready to pounce at any minute. Ian Murray totally deserves a simillar wage to our already top earners. The guy will be very hard to replace.