hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Have we found the keeper to please all fans?

Hibs goalkeepers have been major talking points on here recently for all the wrong reasons. We have the Stack camp and the Maka camp both arguing why their keeper should be between the sticks.

The reasons for stack was that he was solid, no nonsense type that Hibs had been crying out for, and they didnt want Maka because of the errors he can make.

The Maka camp were arguing that Maka had the ability to make some fantastic saves and he comes off his line, something that Stack doesnt.

I was am one of the fans in the Stack camp, but having seen Smith recently I am wondering if this is the keeper to please all fans. Hamilton was the prime example, excellent saves and comanded his box quite well, coming of his line to punch away crosses. The only negative thing I could say about him after the hamilton game was that his voice sounded like Yogi had spent 5 full minutes booting him in the balls!

Anyway, is this the keeper to please all fans?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Naw his voice is to high pitched.

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    Hibs goalkeepers have been major talking points on here recently for all the wrong reasons. We have the Stack camp and the Maka camp both arguing why their keeper should be between the sticks.

The reasons for stack was that he was solid, no nonsense type that Hibs had been crying out for, and they didnt want Maka because of the errors he can make.

The Maka camp were arguing that Maka had the ability to make some fantastic saves and he comes off his line, something that Stack doesnt.

I was am one of the fans in the Stack camp, but having seen Smith recently I am wondering if this is the keeper to please all fans. Hamilton was the prime example, excellent saves and comanded his box quite well, coming of his line to punch away crosses. The only negative thing I could say about him after the hamilton game was that his voice sounded like Yogi had spent 5 full minutes booting him in the balls!

Anyway, is this the keeper to please all fans?
    You've only disclosed that Maka and Stack are camp. What about Smith with that voice - surely he's camp too.

Bring back Willie Wilson - he wasn't camp.

I think we now have 2 good goalkeepers. I would be comfortable with either of them starting.

Stack is a no nonsense keeper, does the basics well and although he doesn't come of his line he is like Shay Given(must be an Irish thing) in the sense that the defenders know this and deal with it, also they know he's not going to come flying out unexpectedly. Good shot stopper, comfortable with the ball at his feet and great distribution.

Smith is similar, doesn't come off his line a whole lot but when he does he is usually pretty commanding. Great communicator(even with his silly voice), and a really good shot stopper. maybe not quite so hot with distribution.

Overall though we have 2 goalkeepers who only the harshest critics could pick too many holes in.

As for Maka i think his time is up which is a shame in a way, if he does get a new deal though i would like it to include a condition that he has to go on loan to the 1st division up here or League 2 down south to get a bit more experience in a less pressurised enviroment. It would also hopefully let him shine and get his shot confidence back.

Quote Originally Posted by foreverhibs View Post
    I think we now have 2 good goalkeepers. I would be comfortable with either of them starting.

Stack is a no nonsense keeper, does the basics well and although he doesn't come of his line he is like Shay Given(must be an Irish thing) in the sense that the defenders know this and deal with it, also they know he's not going to come flying out unexpectedly. Good shot stopper, comfortable with the ball at his feet and great distribution.

Smith is similar, doesn't come off his line a whole lot but when he does he is usually pretty commanding. Great communicator(even with his silly voice), and a really good shot stopper. maybe not quite so hot with distribution.

Overall though we have 2 goalkeepers who only the harshest critics could pick too many holes in.

As for Maka i think his time is up which is a shame in a way, if he does get a new deal though i would like it to include a condition that he has to go on loan to the 1st division up here or League 2 down south to get a bit more experience in a less pressurised enviroment. It would also hopefully let him shine and get his shot confidence back.

Good shout

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I just think we have found 2 decent keeper, who don't wander around as if drunk, and can catch the bloody ball when needed.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Even Leighton got shouted out for his poor handling of passbacks. And what an emense player he was - and yes he could also have the occasional flap.

It's hard to imagine any player let alone a goal keeper given recent events that will appease/please ALL. It appears to be part of the supports make-up/DNA.

Of all the positions I imagine the psychological aspect I imagine plays a huge part in the performance of a keeper. As a support we've been edgy (and with cause) in recent times and incidents that might have been put behind us have served as reminders on a frequent basis of our vulnerability in this position. Transferred to a young inexperienced keepers and you see the results.

So time to step forward Mr Mackenna our new goal keeping coach?

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post

bloody loud aint he?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I see that Hibs Spain has been emptied (anyone tell me why?) so Maka's lost his most vociferous fan, but I'll give it a go...

I still believe the big man has the makings of a great keeper, he's still very young and Hibs needs to retain its reputation as a club where young players can get a chance.

I also think that part of his problem last season was Rob Jones, who IMO didn't organise the "back 5" as he should have done, causing countless moments of confusion.

However, even I can see that Maka was diabolical against Rangers, responsible for at least 2 of the goals, and perhaps becoming a liability for us.

Smith's proved a very decent signing, and is in the team on merit, but it'll be a sad day for me if/when Maka moves on.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    I see that Hibs Spain has been emptied (anyone tell me why?) so Maka's lost his most vociferous fan, but I'll give it a go...

I still believe the big man has the makings of a great keeper, he's still very young and Hibs needs to retain its reputation as a club where young players can get a chance.

I also think that part of his problem last season was Rob Jones, who IMO didn't organise the "back 5" as he should have done, causing countless moments of confusion.

However, even I can see that Maka was diabolical against Rangers, responsible for at least 2 of the goals, and perhaps becoming a liability for us.

Smith's proved a very decent signing, and is in the team on merit, but it'll be a sad day for me if/when Maka moves on.

He's been in or around the first team for 2 and a half seasons now. To say he's not had a chance would be stretching the truth slightly.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

You wont be surprised to hear i disagree. Yogi would not be basing his views on what he had seen in the past, but if Maka had been up to the job, and he'd impressed Yogi, he'd be No1 now. He's been replaced because his first game this season against St Mirren, he was part of another cock up, leading to the goal we conceded.

The next week against Falkirk, he went down in installment when conceding the goal in that game, another mistake. He's replaced but comes back against falkirk at easter road, He makes a wonderful save, but also give us nightmares with his casual play, causing Yogi to go berserk. Next is Motherwell and Kilmarnock, he does ok, no real mad moments. Then comes the Rangers game, enough said. Rob Jones is nowhere to be seen either.

I have said in the past, there is a decent keeper in there somewhere, i doubt it will ever come out. I cant see any club putting up with the amount of gaffs he makes, football is too important now, and managers will not put their jobs in jepardy with a bombscare in the most important part of the team.

As for it being a sad day for you, if/when he leaves, i can live with that. He's given me more than enough sad days in the past for me to worry anymore about him.
    Last edited by blackpoolhibs; 25-01-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    You've only disclosed that Maka and Stack are camp. What about Smith with that voice - surely he's camp too.

IIRC Wullie came fae Wallyford (or was it 'Wally came fae Wullieford?' - who cares?) - anyhow, Wullie came fae Wallyford and Wallyford doesnae dae 'camp'.

Good solid keeper, though - the very epitome of the 'stalwart custodian' of bygone years....

No, simply because it's the way of Hibs fans (probably football fans in general) to moan long and loudly about anything and anybody that takes their fancy.

And quite right too, we pay enough money for the privilege

Left by mutual consent!
    I've been really impressed with Smith and at the moment he's my no 1 choice for keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    IIRC Wullie came fae Wallyford (or was it 'Wally came fae Wullieford?' - who cares?) - anyhow, Wullie came fae Wallyford and Wallyford doesnae dae 'camp'.

Good solid keeper, though - the very epitome of the 'stalwart custodian' of bygone years....

You're telling me it disnae!!

I had the privilege of being friends with WW's son when I was at Primary School and I remember looking through his albums of newspaper cuttings of, I think, every game he ever played in. I was too young to have seen him play but he really was a great guy and my Dad always spoke about him in terms of reverence.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    You're telling me it disnae!!

Now, Aberlady does 'camp'. Gullane does 'camp'. Athelstaneford does nothing BUT 'camp'.

But Wallyford? Mention 'camp' to a Wallyfordian of my generation, and he thinks your talking about that disgusting bottled coffee.

I had the privilege of being friends with WW's son when I was at Primary School and I remember looking through his albums of newspaper cuttings of, I think, every game he ever played in. I was too young to have seen him play but he really was a great guy and my Dad always spoke about him in terms of reverence.

WW was IMO an under-rated but very sound keeper who did Hibs proud in his time at ER.

Not least, he kept the 'nil' in the 'five-nil' in a celebrated Fairs' Cup tie...

@hibs.net private member mike1875's Avatar
    his kicking is pretty dodgey

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    [QUOTE=blackpoolhibs;2321762]You wont be surprised to hear i disagree. Yogi would not be basing his views on what he had seen in the past, but if Maka had been up to the job, and he'd impressed Yogi, he'd be No1 now. He's been replaced because his first game this season against St Mirren, he was part of another cock up, leading to the goal we conceded.

The next week against Falkirk, he went down in installment when conceding the goal in that game, another mistake. He's replaced but comes back against falkirk at easter road, He makes a wonderful save, but also give us nightmares with his casual play, causing Yogi to go berserk. Next is Motherwell and Kilmarnock, he does ok, no real mad moments. Then comes the Rangers game, enough said. Rob Jones is nowhere to be seen either.

I have said in the past, there is a decent keeper in there somewhere, i doubt it will ever come out. I cant see any club putting up with the amount of gaffs he makes, football is too important now, and managers will not put their jobs in jepardy with a bombscare in the most important part of the team.

As for it being a sad day for you, if/when he leaves, i can live with that. He's given me more than enough sad days in the past for me to worry anymore about him.[/QUOTE]

here here

@hibs.net private member
    He'll certainly do for me. Solid and reliable. He will of course make mistakes, every keeper does, only not by the dozen.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Had more than enough chances, never seen a more unorthodox,clumsy,awkward looking keeper in my life. I said this early days and wish him all the luck for the future away from Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

The man in black
    This is how it feels

Being Hibernian goalie is extra hard given bad press for Hibs goalies in recent years . Smith has played well so far but has only played 4 games and against Hearts and Irvine M had almost nothing to do . Also why was he released by Brighton if he`s so great ? Stack looked great though he seemed to have a quiet time in most games so maybe we should judge him when defence in general is bad and there are obvious question marks about his fitness ? Maka ? I think he has been unfairly critised at times and is a good goalie who could become a very good goalie . If he isn`t at Easter Road next season or even before I suspect it`s because someone from another club will have thought they can make a great keeper out of a good one and they may well be right .

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Had more than enough chances, never seen a more unorthodox,clumsy,awkward looking keeper in my life. I said this early days and wish him all the luck for the future away from Hibs.
    And your a Hibs fan Zibby, Simon Brown, Tony Caig ? All far worse than Maka IMO. Good to have a solid reliable keeper in Smith now though.

Testimonial Due
    Was also asking myself why Hibs Spain got emptied. ?? I know his views and opinions are different but thats what the board is for. Hibs Spain is a long time season ticket holder for the club. He does not bad mouth others on here so unless there is a sound reason for binning him then the whole thing is questionable.

A goalkeeping thread is not a goalkeeping thread without his two pence worth !

I think its too ealrly to say we have found a goalie. Stack has what could be a long term injury and Smith needs a few more games. He got lucky Saturday in that his early fumble was kicked off the line. Lets see how he does to night at what could be a busy night !

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by euro Hibby View Post
    Was also asking myself why Hibs Spain got emptied. ?? I know his views and opinions are different but thats what the board is for. Hibs Spain is a long time season ticket holder for the club. He does not bad mouth others on here so unless there is a sound reason for binning him then the whole thing is questionable.

A goalkeeping thread is not a goalkeeping thread without his two pence worth !

I think its too ealrly to say we have found a goalie. Stack has what could be a long term injury and Smith needs a few more games. He got lucky Saturday in that his early fumble was kicked off the line. Lets see how he does to night at what could be a busy night !
    He hook line and sinkered a lot of people on here on almost every thread he posted on.

Probably the best wind up merchant I've ever seen.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Being Hibernian goalie is extra hard given bad press for Hibs goalies in recent years . Smith has played well so far but has only played 4 games and against Hearts and Irvine M had almost nothing to do . Also why was he released by Brighton if he`s so great ? Stack looked great though he seemed to have a quiet time in most games so maybe we should judge him when defence in general is bad and there are obvious question marks about his fitness ? Maka ? I think he has been unfairly critised at times and is a good goalie who could become a very good goalie . If he isn`t at Easter Road next season or even before I suspect it`s because someone from another club will have thought they can make a great keeper out of a good one and they may well be right .
    So you are saying that because he was released then he must be guff? Why was Stokes and Miller released?

We could have a thick sheet of plywood which clipped onto the goalposts, and was moved at time, and people would still moan that it didn't take free kicks, catch the ball, command it's box or acknowledge the crowd with a lap of honour.

The Rough-Goram-Leighton era set our standards impossibly high; the Zibbi-Brown era made us intoo gibbering, paranoid wrecks.

I've no doubt that everyone will turn on Smith the first time he makes a couple of consecutive mistakes.

I remember that 3-3 draw with Aberdeen was the game that killed Maka. No way back for him after that, every mistake was seen in those terms.

Smith will get the same treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    We could have a thick sheet of plywood which clipped onto the goalposts, and was moved at time, and people would still moan that it didn't take free kicks, catch the ball, command it's box or acknowledge the crowd with a lap of honour.

The Rough-Goram-Leighton era set our standards impossibly high; the Zibbi-Brown era made us intoo gibbering, paranoid wrecks.

I've no doubt that everyone will turn on Smith the first time he makes a couple of consecutive mistakes.

I remember that 3-3 draw with Aberdeen was the game that killed Maka. No way back for him after that, every mistake was seen in those terms.

Smith will get the same treatment.
    Your right! Being between the sticks for us is now a poisoned chalice for any goalie! One mistake (keeper's will inevitably make the odd one) is no longer seen as a blip at ER its merely taken as proof that our goalkeeping crisis is deepening! Completely unfair.
    I dont think Maka's main problem was a lack of ability, it was his personailty/attitude! He was so laid back he was almost horizontal! Prime example of this was every Saturday around 15:45...How effin long did it take him to walk off the park at half time!?
    Keepers need to be live-wires, always on the ball! It was his lapses in concentration that undone him. I have to say I quite liked seeing Maka in goals as he was a presence!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    Iberia/Spain