hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Brown

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Mark Brown

In the Daily Express today saying that hibs are having talks with Mark Brown the Celtic keeper as they got permission yesterday to talk to him. not a bad keeper and would be a good signing with him and smith fighting for the number 1 spot.

Thoughts please

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Last Minute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the Daily Express today saying that hibs are having talks with Mark Brown the Celtic keeper as they got permission yesterday to talk to him. not a bad keeper and would be a good signing with him and smith fighting for the number 1 spot.

Thoughts please
    Just seen that as well. Sounds good news another good keeper what is happening here. Obviousy it is goodbye Maka and what about Flynn?

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Can he play right back?

I think this could signal the end for Maka, either that or Yogi's not confident on Stack's long term fitness.

There was once a time when I would have loved to have seen Mark Brown and Graeme Smith at ER, so...not too unhappy!

Coaching Staff

Thoughts please
    And Stack?

I'd be happy for this, if they are all happy that there would be three keepers at the club they are all far better than what we had.

Oh, and bye Maka!

First Team Breakthrough Cal 7-0's Avatar
    Always liked Brown at Inverness said before Stack and Smith got here I'd have liked to see him at Hibs. Not bad competition for the number one, but would he want that or rather somewhere he get a game regular after bench warming at septic?

I don't believe this. How many keepers do we need?

You can only play one at a time.

@hibs.net private member
    We don't need another Keeper. We need a right back and a creative midfielder.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

Ideally you need three all capable of playing.

You need two for each match so if one is injured you need three.

Flynn isn't ready and Maka is evidently on the way out.

The trouble is a club like us can't keep three really good keepers happy so I'd be surprised if we ended up with those three.

First Team Breakthrough persevere1875's Avatar
    Likewise, how many keepers do we need, would have thought there were other issues to address more important than adding yet another keeper to the squad unless anyone knows of any clubs actively chasing any of our current crop of keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    We don't need another Keeper. We need a right back and a creative midfielder.
    Steve, we`ve got a creative midfielder his name is Liam Miller, agree about the right back though.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by persevere1875 View Post
    Likewise, how many keepers do we need, would have thought there were other issues to address more important than adding yet another keeper to the squad unless anyone knows of any clubs actively chasing any of our current crop of keepers

And you think we are doing nothing elsewhere?

This type of answer always gets my goat, we are in the process of building the whole squad, we need better than we have everywhere. Yes, there may be priorities from time to time but you also have to be aware of what is out there and when, and you may have to do things in an order that doesn't seem to match the immediate needs.

This is a marathon not a sprint and I'm more than happy to see we are working at improving all areas of the team.

@hibs.net private member Aubenas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sensible move. Yogi already said he wanted a 'team of keepers'. If they wouldn't be happy in that set up, they needn't sign, but I would imagine Smith, Brown and Stack all reckon they would be No 1.

Looking at it from Yogi's pointy of view. Crucial time of the season - if anything happens to Smith, we're basically goosed. Maka not the answer, Flynn not ready, who knows what will happen to Stack's disc injury. If he has Brown, Stack and Smith all fit and one of them is peed off come the end of the season, we can make some money and move him on.
    I think belt and braces is a good way forward given our recent instability in this area.

Not sure of his previous work, but sounds like this might also be the way that Scott Thomson feels he can get the best out of his keepers - fierce competition.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubenas View Post
    Sensible move. Yogi already said he wanted a 'team of keepers'. If they wouldn't be happy in that set up, they needn't sign, but I would imagine Smith, Brown and Stack all reckon they would be No 1.

Looking at it from Yogi's pointy of view. Crucial time of the season - if anything happens to Smith, we're basically goosed. Maka not the answer, Flynn not ready, who knows what will happen to Stack's disc injury. If he has Brown, Stack and Smith all fit and one of them is peed off come the end of the season, we can make some money and move him on.
    I think belt and braces is a good way forward given our recent instability in this area.

Not sure of his previous work, but sounds like this might also be the way that Scott Thomson feels he can get the best out of his keepers - fierce competition.

Reckon you've hit the nail on the head there Aub. I expect Flynn might be loaned out somewhere to allow him experience, thus leaving us with Smith, Stack and Brown - I don't see Maka lasting long at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    good goalie, but surely the finance would be better spent elsewhere??

First Team Breakthrough

Thoughts please
    ex celtic goalkeepers, scary scary stuff.

Left by mutual consent!
    Is this an immediate thing or a pre-contract for the summer does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    And you think we are doing nothing elsewhere?

This type of answer always gets my goat, we are in the process of building the whole squad, we need better than we have everywhere. Yes, there may be priorities from time to time but you also have to be aware of what is out there and when, and you may have to do things in an order that doesn't seem to match the immediate needs.

This is a marathon not a sprint and I'm more than happy to see we are working at improving all areas of the team.
    Agreed we are in the process of building a whole squad and agreed he may have to do things in an order that doesnt appear to match immediate needs, and that he is undoubtably doing things elswhere in the squad, but surely the squad as a whole has to be kept within the wage budget set and adding another keeper to the budget unless as I stated anyone knows of another club actively chasing one of the current crop seems to me a bit non-sensical

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by churchy View Post
    Steve, we`ve got a creative midfielder his name is Liam Miller, agree about the right back though.
    I still think we need another one. We really don't create that much during games.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by persevere1875 View Post
    Agreed we are in the process of building a whole squad and agreed he may have to do things in an order that doesnt appear to match immediate needs, and that he is undoubtably doing things elswhere in the squad, but surely the squad as a whole has to be kept within the wage budget set and adding another keeper to the budget unless as I stated anyone knows of another club actively chasing one of the current crop seems to me a bit non-sensical
    Maka is out of contract in the summer so issue solved. We need three that would have us with three. Better to get that sorted now than scrabbling in the summer once we've punted the big man?

In that case Andy you've answered my question, I sincerely hope your Goat is no longet Got

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Maka is out of contract in the summer so issue solved. We need three that would have us with three. Better to get that sorted now than scrabbling in the summer once we've punted the big man?

First Team Breakthrough Oscar Lomax's Avatar
    I would be happy having Smith and Stack fighting it out for the number one jersey and keeping the young lad at Easter Road. Maka SHOULD be leaving anyway.
    Priority NOW though is getting a decent centre half and a right back !
    Yogi knows we need these positions strengthened, so cant see why we are in discussions to sign ANOTHER goalie, plus I cant see Stack, Smith or Brown being happy about being SECOND choice, never mind THIRD !

Yogi has said he wants four keepers and also stated his support for Maka after the Rangers game. Its not inconceivable that Maka stays, assuming he accepts a new contract offer. If I was Maka though, id try my luck elsewhere.

If Maka's contract is up in the summer and Smith is only with us on a short-term deal with the hope of moving back to England, and Stack's back is dodgy, we could be left with just Flynn!

@hibs.net private member 18Craig75's Avatar
    In my view, this is great news. He was an excellent keeper before Celtc, hopefully a while in the wilderness hasn't changed that. I don't see how anyone can be unhappy about this, we're looking at adding quality to the squad, so how can this be a bad thing? Yes there are other positions that need addressed more urgently than the GK, however, I'm sure behind the scenes we are still working hard on identifying/bringing in players for those positions. I would start getting worried if Hibs came out and said 'we are signing Mark Brown INSTEAD of a right back'. Basically I don't think Yogi's daft, and therefore knows where we need strengthened, but if a player who is arguably better than what we have for a position that we are relatively well covered for, why shouldn't we sign him!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Lomax View Post
    I would be happy having Smith and Stack fighting it out for the number one jersey and keeping the young lad at Easter Road. Maka SHOULD be leaving anyway.
    Priority NOW though is getting a decent centre half and a right back !
    Yogi knows we need these positions strengthened, so cant see why we are in discussions to sign ANOTHER goalie, plus I cant see Stack, Smith or Brown being happy about being SECOND choice, never mind THIRD !
    Would you be happy with Flynn in goals now or next season? I wouldn't, so in a situation where you have one keeper injured or susepended you need a decent one to come into the bench.

I doubt any of the three would be happy not playing either but let them worry about that, it's an ideal situation for us.

That said, this is just a rumour! I can see our additional keeper if we get one being an older guy or a youngster but with more experience than Flynn who is able to play if need be but wouldn't be upset about not playing.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Craig75 View Post
    In my view, this is great news. He was an excellent keeper before Celtc, hopefully a while in the wilderness hasn't changed that. I don't see how anyone can be unhappy about this, we're looking at adding quality to the squad, so how can this be a bad thing? Yes there are other positions that need addressed more urgently than the GK, however, I'm sure behind the scenes we are still working hard on identifying/bringing in players for those positions. I would start getting worried if Hibs came out and said 'we are signing Mark Brown INSTEAD of a right back'. Basically I don't think Yogi's daft, and therefore knows where we need strengthened, but if a player who is arguably better than what we have for a position that we are relatively well covered for, why shouldn't we sign him!
    Its potentially an excellent signing. Sounds like he's impressed at Kilmarnock, MOTM performance in December here...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6946902.ece
    If Celtic hadnt been demanding a fee in July we could have got him last year and his career wouldnt have spent 6 months stagnating. Same old story.

First Team Breakthrough Oscar Lomax's Avatar
    Maka is never good enough for Hibs or SPL level.
    I just cant see keepers like Smith, Borwn or Stack being happy playing second fiddle to one another.
    Its defenders we need.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Lomax View Post
    Maka is never good enough for Hibs or SPL level.
    I just cant see keepers like Smith, Borwn or Stack being happy playing second fiddle to one another.
    Its defenders we need.
    I'm not sure all that fits together.

Maka not good enough, you are right, so he will go.

You can't see the likes of Stack, Smith or Brown playing second fiddle.

Okay, so do you not bother signing good players for that position? do we want untried youngsters, guys past it, or guys with no ambition to be a number one? Would you happy with those guys playing if the one we deccide is our number one is injured or suspended.

What would be the point in adding to our defence if the keeping position was weak?

If you applied the same sort of thing to the defence why would we have guys being happy to play second fiddle to Bamba, Hogg, Murray, Hanlon, McCormack and maybe Thicot?

I suppose you'd suggest we need better than what we have, we need cover and we need competition? Agreed, so same goes for the goalkeeping position.

@hibs.net private member Dan Sarf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

Wait a minute! This gives me an idea...