hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sol Campbell

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Sol Campbell

SSN reporting Sol Campbell is to sue Portsomouth for unpaid bonuses.

Now i know he's probably entitled to the money but for someone thats no doubt made a good bit of cash out the game would it really kill him to help out the club and write off the money considering the trouble they're already in?

Sounds like another greedy footballer with little consideration for the fans that help pay his wages for a good chunk of his career.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Now i know he's probably entitled to the money but for someone thats no doubt made a good bit of cash out the game would it really kill him to help out the club and write off the money considering the trouble they're already in?

Sounds like another greedy footballer with little consideration for the fans that help pay his wages for a good chunk of his career.
    Totally agree with all of that, they signed him when he was a bit wayward and gave him a good wedge, to not pursue the bonus would be IMO the right way to help the club and o the fans whom backed him.

It really is all take out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    Totally agree with all of that, they signed him when he was a bit wayward and gave him a good wedge, to not pursue the bonus would be IMO the right way to help the club and o the fans whom backed him.

It really is all take out there.
    With the odd exception i just think that footballers are dicks.

The best professional i can think of is Ivan Sproule and it probably took him having a career before turning pro for him to appreciate what he had as a footballer so maybe all players should be made to do a proper job for a year or two before playing for the first team, no sure how practical that'd be though

Left by mutual consent!
    With the odd exception i just think that footballers are dicks.

The best professional i can think of is Ivan Sproule and it probably took him having a career before turning pro for him to appreciate what he had as a footballer so maybe all players should be made to do a proper job for a year or two before playing for the first team, no sure how practical that'd be though
    Spot on, if say footballers started playing when they were 30 after 10 years of the 9-5 I think that they may understand us a bit more.

We're not talking pennies here, i'd bet that Portsmouth are owe him some serious candy. If we're being honest - if someone's owe you money - you want it back! Morally it might seem a bit shabby of him to pursue it but im sure if the majority of people on here were due money - they'd make sure they got it!

I think he is entitled to his money. it's not his fault that Portsmouth made promises that were impossible to stick to.

does nobody stick to contracts these days!?! he was one of their best players and consistent performers and deserves paid for doing his work.

bonuses are always going to make joe public tetchy tho - just look at the banks. rich fat cat investors have ruined it for the man on the street who works in the branches and operational offices who work hard all year and deserve their bonuses.

That was on a tangent a bit but if it's on a contract PAY UP or go to court otherwise it just mucks up everything.

or the alternative view, they signed a contract to offer him cash they did not have. Who's fault is that?

If it was hearts we'd all be laughing and siding with Campbell.

A contract is a contract, players get lambased for breaking them so should clubs. I'd like to see Portsmouth go to the wall tbh. It might serve as an example to some other clubs.

That might not sit well, but im sick of clubs spending what they dont have while other well run clubs like us and Everton struggle away and try and do this correctly.

"Pay up Pompy, Pompy Pay up"

Quote Originally Posted by ShanksSaidNo View Post
    We're not talking pennies here, i'd bet that Portsmouth are owe him some serious candy. If we're being honest - if someone's owe you money - you want it back! Morally it might seem a bit shabby of him to pursue it but im sure if the majority of people on here were due money - they'd make sure they got it!
    It's all relative though, im sure Campbell is a millionaire a few times over so won't really need the money, i'm always skint so if i was owed money i'd need it.

I would like to think if i was in his shoes i'd be big enough to either write the cash off or come to an agreement for the money to be paid when they could afford it, there's more to life than money and kicking the club when they're down seems a bit off to me.

Coaching Staff

If he is entitled to it then he's entitled to it, nothing greedy about that.

I could probably live without getting 10p change back off a pound for something that was 90p but sure as hell I'd be waiting for it and would be making sure I asked for it if they just decided not to hand it over.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_mad_mental_hibby View Post
    or the alternative view, they signed a contract to offer him cash they did not have. Who's fault is that?

If it was hearts we'd all be laughing and siding with Campbell.

A contract is a contract, players get lambased for breaking them so should clubs. I'd like to see Portsmouth go to the wall tbh. It might serve as an example to some other clubs.

That might not sit well, but im sick of clubs spending what they dont have while other well run clubs like us and Everton struggle away and try and do this correctly.

"Pay up Pompy, Pompy Pay up"
    Not the fans and thats who i'm feeling sorry for here as it's them thats going to suffer. (apart from that **** with the bell)

I actually agree with many of your points, especially about well run clubs being shafted while those that are over spend benefit, i'll always hate livi for this, however i just think it wouldn't make that much difference to him to get the cash yet it could make a big difference to pompeys future.

IMO football assocations should be doing more to ensure clubs are living within there means, i think they do this in France and its something that should be investigated to how it could work in this country to stop this kind of thing happening
    Last edited by bingo70; 20-01-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    a deal's a deal.

Coaching Staff
    Not the fans and thats who i'm feeling sorry for here as it's them thats going to suffer. (apart from that **** with the drum)

I actually agree with many of your points, especially about well run clubs being shafted while those that are over spend benefit, i'll always hate livi for this, however i just think it wouldn't make that much difference to him to get the cash yet it could make a big difference to pompeys future.

IMO football assocations should be doing more to ensure clubs are living within there means, i think they do this in France and its something that should be investigated to how it could work in this country to stop this kind of thing happening
    The fans are suffering because of the people who ran Portsmouth, not because of Sol Campbell. Like anyone else that provided them with a service for an agreed sum he deserves to get paid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

I could probably live without getting 10p change back off a pound for something that was 90p but sure as hell I'd be waiting for it and would be making sure I asked for it if they just decided not to hand it over.
    Miserable *******

@hibs.net private member
    Sol Campbell is the definition of that.

Look at what he done to Tottenham. The guy's only ever moved clubs on a Bosman IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Pressumably you wouldn't have any emotional attachment to this shop, Sol Campbell was club captain at Portsmouth so he should have strong enough feelings and appreciation for the club to help it out when they need it.

As i said earlier, i'm aware he's probably entitled to the cash, i just think he would be a bigger and better human being for giving up his right to the cash in order to help the club survive, there is more to life than money, especially for someone thats already a millionaire.

Left by mutual consent!
    The BBC are reporting that it's £1.7 million.

Not many folk would write that off.

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post

Look at what he done to Tottenham. The guy's only ever moved clubs on a Bosman IIRC.
    Correct. No fee has ever been paid for him. Hard to believe when you consider he's moved around a fair bit.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No surprise from Campbell. He's a grade 'a' c***!

He can see their predicament.

The HMRC are on the verge of winding them up, they are scrambling to get cash to sign players to prevent relegation and multi-millionaire Campbell hits them with a lawsuit.

Utter rubbish imo

How did you come to that conclusion? Sol Campbell honoured is contract @ the clubs he has been at.

Tottenham got some good service out of him
    Arsenal got alot more out of him, titles, fa cup, champions league final

& Portsmouth won the fa cup & got into europe

If it is £1.7 million quid then why should he write it off?

I don't like kicking a club while they are down (10 point deduction for administration is a good example of this)

But I do agree that associations need to do more to make sure clubs are living within their means.

but I would like to think in Sol V Portsmouth they could come to a mutually acceptable payment plan??

Coaching Staff
    Pressumably you wouldn't have any emotional attachment to this shop, Sol Campbell was club captain at Portsmouth so he should have strong enough feelings and appreciation for the club to help it out when they need it.

As i said earlier, i'm aware he's probably entitled to the cash, i just think he would be a bigger and better human being for giving up his right to the cash in order to help the club survive, there is more to life than money, especially for someone thats already a millionaire.
    I'm very fond of my local shop and all who sail in her but if they think they are keeping my 10p they can forget it!

If I then choose to stick it in the charity box next to the till that's my choice once I have what's mine back in my grubby paw.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster18 View Post
    No surprise from Campbell. He's a grade 'a' c***!

He can see their predicament.

The HMRC are on the verge of winding them up, they are scrambling to get cash to sign players to prevent relegation and multi-millionaire Campbell hits them with a lawsuit.

you know him do you?

Thought not

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey® View Post
    The BBC are reporting that it's £1.7 million.

Not many folk would write that off.
    For image rights and bonuses

I imagine that it was only towards the end of his time there he stopped being paid this money so i dread to think what his actual wage would have been.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if a teams finances aren't in order or they are working to unsustainable budgets then they risk being knocked down a couple of divisions. Inspections are carried out on an annual basis.

In Sol Campbell's defence, if a winding up order is going to be effected, he has to put in his claim or he won't get his slice of the pie (or proportion thereof) when the money's divvied up. It won't make any difference to the club nor the fans, but to any other creditors who may get a smaller slice accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    I think he is entitled to his money. it's not his fault that Portsmouth made promises that were impossible to stick to.

does nobody stick to contracts these days!?! he was one of their best players and consistent performers and deserves paid for doing his work.

bonuses are always going to make joe public tetchy tho - just look at the banks. rich fat cat investors have ruined it for the man on the street who works in the branches and operational offices who work hard all year and deserve their bonuses.

That was on a tangent a bit but if it's on a contract PAY UP or go to court otherwise it just mucks up everything.
    Well Sol Campbell certainly doesn't

I don't blame him at all for claiming back the money which is rightfully his. If my work were owe me money after I left i'd be doing everything I could to get it back and I think most people would be the same.

TBH none of us know what went on behind the seans at pompey.

IMO sol is entiteled to the money he is owed and you cant realy say he is a dick because all of you would do the same thing if you were owed money especialy this much.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Utter rubbish imo

How did you come to that conclusion? Sol Campbell honoured is contract @ the clubs he has been at.
    My opinion's mainly based on the Tottenham to Arsenal thing, making sure the club that made him didn't get a penny for him so he could pocket the lot.

My opinion's mainly based on the Tottenham to Arsenal thing, making sure the club that made him didn't get a penny for him so he could pocket the lot.
    Well Ian Murray moved to the Huns (not main rivals, like Hearts, arsenal, spurs)

Things are different these days as compensation would of had to been paid. He just took advantage of a law

JUDAS though

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

IMO sol is entiteled to the money he is owed and you cant realy say he is a dick because all of you would do the same thing if you were owed money especialy this much.
    Yep, much in the same way that everyone agreed that Sir Fred was....wait a minute!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    He just took advantage of a law
    And Spurs. And led me to believe that
    another greedy footballer with little consideration for the fans that help pay his wages for a good chunk of his career
    is Sol Campbell to a tee.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

The man doesnae need the money - therefore morally bankrupt to pursue Pompey IMHO