hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

The half-time warm-up

Down the Dundee United end, players were practising passing drills and the goalie was having crosses knocked into him to catch. In other words they were doing pretty much everything that you would be expecting subs to do.

Our heroes were a wee bit alternative in their 'warm-up' - what a complete and utter embarrassment:

- fair do's to the young subs who used the time to do some constructive passing drills

- without the goalkeeping coach on the park, Makalamby was left to play keepie uppie whilst blowing on his hands to keep them warm

- then we have our senior professionals Nish and McBride. What a couple of belters they were as they stood stock still in the middle of the park for 15 minutes, never going near a ball, sharing a bit of banter. They just couldn't give a ****. After watching the total and utter display of unprofessionalism, I'd have both of those yahoos out the door tomorrow.
    Last edited by hibs0666; 17-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar

Dare I say it but even Hearts look to have a constructive half-time warm-up.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    The only time I've ever seen Hibs come anywhere near a constructive warmup is when they're preparing a sub goalie, and you know how "often" that happens.

Farce.

Get Chipper out there with the subs, doing a drill.
    Yogi can deal with the starting XI, and if he wants to bring on a sub, Chipper sends him in with 5 mins to go or whatever.

Simple enough.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: EllChrisso PSN ID: EllChrisso
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs0666 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Down the Dundee United end, players were practising passing drills and the goalie was having crosses knocked into him to catch. In other words they were doing pretty much everything that you would be expecting subs to do.

Our heroes were a wee bit alternative in their 'warm-up' - what a complete and utter embarrassment:

- fair do's to the young subs who used the time to do some constructive passing drills

- without the goalkeeping coach on the park, Makalamby was left to play keepie uppie whilst blowing on his hands to keep them warm

- then we have our senior professionals Nish and McBride. What a couple of belters they were as they stood stock still in the middle of the park for 15 minutes, never going near a ball, sharing a bit of banter. They just couldn't give a ****. After watching the total and utter display of unprofessionalism, I'd have both of those yahoos out the door tomorrow.
    Did anyone else think this big guy had some neat skills, with his round the world tricks etc?
    Pity he can't do everything else so neat and tidily. Then he would actually be in the Dressing room, rather than wasting time practicing his Keepy-Ups.

Back to the point tho, it is actually quite shocking that McBride & Nish were both relaxed, and joking around. TBH, i think the two of them were probably both discussing how cheesed off they both were at being left out.

Very Un-Professional, but nout will happen.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar

Out of interest, do you know how the subs warmed up when we went all those games unbeaten?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
    Out of interest, do you know how the subs warmed up when we went all those games unbeaten?
    No idea - why do you ask?

I think Scotty is implying that it was exactly the same methods used.

Left by mutual consent!
    Were any of our subs wearing hats or gloves?

Hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    Were any of our subs wearing hats or gloves?

Hope not
    Believe all of them were wearing some form of winter woolies.
    Mcbride's hat itself was a source of much hilarity and discussion.

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    I think Scotty is implying that it was exactly the same methods used.
    Yeah Leitrim is right, they've "warmed up" in that fashion for as long as can remember. I'd prefer it if they done something more constructive but I don't think it makes a great difference in the grand scheme of things

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    Were any of our subs wearing hats or gloves?Hope not

Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
    Yeah Leitrim is right, they've "warmed up" in that fashion for as long as can remember. I'd prefer it if they done something more constructive but I don't think it makes a great difference in the grand scheme of things
    Agree.
    Constructive warming-up would be good (see my previous point about Chipper drilling the subs at H/T) but not only can I not really recall the last time a sub came on and scored, I don't see it changing any time soon.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Of all the things to moan about this really takes the biscuit, if this really annoys people then they need to get out more

Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    Of all the things to moan about this really takes the biscuit, if this really annoys people then they need to get out more
    It wouldn't be a hibs forum without complaining about everything.

In fact, on the subject of that, how annoying to open are the wee sachets of brown sauce at ER? PETRIE!

Agree.
    Constructive warming-up would be good (see my previous point about Chipper drilling the subs at H/T) but not only can I not really recall the last time a sub came on and scored, I don't see it changing any time soon.

Benji? Pen? Cant remember against who, Killie maybe?

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Agree.
    Probably Benji on first day of season

@hibs.net private member millarco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Benji? Pen? Cant remember against who, Killie maybe?
    Was Nish against Aberdeen after Benji's against Killie?

I'm pretty sure that Maka was perfectly capable of going through some handling drills on his own, there are hundreds of them for goalkeepers that don't require a coach.

Likewise all the rest of the players could have gone through a few basic passing drills and stretched off properly.

I can understand why all the coaches would be inside at half time as they may all have seen things differently and it's not uncommon for the manager to allow others to have a say. It's not really an excuse though as professional football players should be able to set up a few passing drills or sprints or whatever amongst themselves.

@hibs.net private member cocopops1875's Avatar
    as i pointed out on an other thread, in my opinion they dufc were warming up banks as their number 1 had a shoulder injury near the end of the first half i dont think its normal for the gk coach to not be talking over the first half with the man between the sticks unless there is an issue
    Doing the 2013 Edinburgh half Marathon for McMillan it would be awesome if anyone fancies sponsoring me, http://www.justgiving.com/colin-smith1875 ,go on make a fat man run

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: toomanydjs
    While they could do a bit of proper practicing or whatever, it doesnt make much difference if they then have to go and sit on the bench for 20 minutes or so before being subbed.

With all the problems to be looked at from yesterday, think this is the last thing that needs to be sorted.

Benji against Dundee United last time round?

Well, point taken anyway!

@hibs.net private member
    So we should get rid of Kevin McBride as he never warmed up at HT yesterday. What a lot of ****. We have lost 4 games all season. That's less than Man Utd but some on here want a mass clear out. There should be a law against computers and dicks
    Last edited by lucky; 17-01-2010 at 11:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    maybe we should try and lighten things up a bit, formation warming up maybe? Would the attached be an acceptable use of the time?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo

It's pretty much what the team have been doing for the majority of the season...

I think your scraping the bottom of barrel for reasons to moan at the club...

Did we get beat because some players didn't do a warm-up? Hardly likely, but it says quite a lot about those players attitude to the game.

A professional athlete standing around gabbing is simply not good enough.

If this sort of attitude is taken on to the training ground you can start to see where we might have problems.

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    Unless any players were told they were going on at the start of the 2nd half, there is really no point in warming up, getting a sweat on, and then sitting down again....in sweaty gear and cooling down, etc...these are professional, highly tuned atheletes.....they know when to warm up and when not to.
    Half time is the time to loosen the legs off, get a wee bit movement from sitting about for 45 minutes...

When the time is right to get warmed up, Yogi would tell them....on this ocassion I'd gie them a break, I dont re-call ANY team warming subs up at half time to have them sit on the bench again.....
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    When exactly did this practice of having the subs kicking balls about at half time start? Never used to be the case, and if one came out the tunnel to warm up it raised eyebrows as either a tactical early sub was being made or someone was unable to make the 2nd half.

At Easter Road nowadays there is actually more folk on the park at half time than during the game itself.. What with all the subs, the groundsmen, the happy hibby half time draw, the 10 second challenge, sprinklers going off, the place is heaving, and more reminiscent of an old Marx Brothers skit than what used to be an "interval"...

Left by mutual consent!
    Whatever happened to the Falkirk exercise bikes...why was it a great new concept there but not here?

Quote Originally Posted by hibs7_0 View Post
    these are professional, highly tuned atheletes.....
    Nish!

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    At Easter Road nowadays there is actually more folk on the park at half time than during the game itself.. What with all the subs, the groundsmen, the happy hibby half time draw, the 10 second challenge, sprinklers going off, the place is heaving, and more reminiscent of an old Marx Brothers skit than what used to be an "interval"...
    Very true.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    True, our players can act stupid when warming up for a match. The reason I think Zouma is always getting injured is because he doesn't stretch before a match. You can easily pull a muscle if you dont stretch before a match.