hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Am I in the minority in thinking Liam Miller is overated by us .netters

Week in week out people tell me how good this guy is. I am a ST holder, I see him most weeks and I saw him again today. I am yet to be convinced.

Over the festive period everybody, with the exception of a small number, told me it was me and that he was quality. I began to believe them, after all it must be me, however his performance against Rangers, Hearts and again today rank well short of how good people tell me he is.

He had a fair amount of possession today, can anybody tell me how many times he passed the ball forward, how many times he sent a piercing through ball to split their defence? I lost count how many times he passed the ball sideways or backwards. Let's face it today he was up against plumbers, plasterers, painters etc and it wasn't good enough. For me, that was on the back of lacklustre performances the previous 2 weeks! In my opinion, he aint been that great since he joined us.

Not a witchunt, just trying to relay my opinion when I feel some people have him as a worldbeater, he aint - yet!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MussyHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Week in week out people tell me how good this guy is. I am a ST holder, I see him most weeks and I saw him again today. I am yet to be convinced.

Over the festive period everybody, with the exception of a small number, told me it was me and that he was quality. I began to believe them, after all it must be me, however his performance against Rangers, Hearts and again today rank well short of how good people tell me he is.

He had a fair amount of possession today, can anybody tell me how many times he passed the ball forward, how many times he sent a piercing through ball to split their defence? I lost count how many times he passed the ball sideways or backwards. Let's face it today he was up against plumbers, plasterers, painters etc and it wasn't good enough. For me, that was on the back of lacklustre performances the previous 2 weeks! In my opinion, he aint been that great since he joined us.

Not a witchunt, just trying to relay my opinion when I feel some people have him as a worldbeater, he aint - yet!
    Though who has been great over the last 3 games W. ?

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    He was like Barry Ferguson today, playing the ball mostly sideways or backwards. That's fine in an SPL game, but not fine when I needed 5 goals from us!

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    I needed minimum 5 for all my bets as well so was getting frustrated with him today. Everyone was playing square balls. Poor stuff. Miller has bn poor the lst 3 games, outstanding before that tho

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar

One of the very few players in the SPL who can control a ball, play with his head up, find space, pass to someone in the same team and doesn't run about like a headless chicken.

He is trying to play and cover for the Rank one. Once mcbride is back he will get back to playing the way he did at the start of the season, the two complement each other IMO.

Blog Entries
    "Am I in the minority in thinking Liam Miller is overated by us .netters"

Yes, very much so.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Think he is wonderful, personally, but he is struggling a little in a team which is failing to gel at the moment.
    When we do click, & I believe that we will, Miller will be the fulcrum wotsit.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post

Yes, very much so.
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, aye very constructive, cheers!

In the way we overrate Miller, we hammer Rankin - not fair! Rankin was no worse or better than Miller today!

Left by mutual consent!
    He was forced to hold onto the ball because there was no movement in front of him to create space for a pass. That's why he struggled.

Oh, and if the guy who was sitting behind me in S 216 is a ST holder and I was in someones regular seat then nae ****ing luck.

What a slavering **** that guy is. Criticised every single thing any player done. Admittedly, we were ***** but he was even going on and on and on when we were 3 nil up and the game was dead.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    He was forced to hold onto the ball because there was no movement in front of him to create space for a pass. That's why he struggled.

Exactly. I'll admit he should have done far more today but its the same most weeks, not enough movement ahead of him.

As for comparing Rankin to him, I'm lost for words.

Yes you are in the monority.

tbh it sounds like yr judging him on the wrong terms. his job when he has the ball isn't to be the creative spark, its about being tidy with possession

i also think he does better alongside mcbride than rankin. mcbride and miller both play the game at the same tempo whereas rankin is all over the shop running about and is never as composed and ready to recieve the ball as mcbride.

miller and mcbride are a great pairing imo.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, very much so.
    I think he is as well

Blog Entries
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, aye very constructive, cheers!

In the way we overrate Miller, we hammer Rankin - not fair! Rankin was no worse or better than Miller today!
    I don't know why you're offended. You asked a simple question and you got a succinct, truthful answer.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    Short answer -YES you are in a minority

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSmith View Post
    One of the very few players in the SPL who can control a ball, play with his head up, find space, pass to someone in the same team and doesn't run about like a headless chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post

Oh, and if the guy who was sitting behind me in S 216 is a ST holder and I was in someones regular seat then nae ****ing luck.

What a slavering **** that guy is. Criticised every single thing any player done. Admittedly, we were ***** but he was even going on and on and on when we were 3 nil up and the game was dead.
    Liam would be sorely missed in our Midfield and the bits in bold above are the reasons why

I don't know why you're offended. You asked a simple question and you got a succinct, truthful answer.
    It wasn't a question, there was no ?

It was a rhetorical question - I didn't expect an answer to it, more a debate or a convincing and I've received neither.

The trend for the majority is to take a player and make him into what he's not and vice versa on a negative note, i.e Rankin. I remeber the drivel about Bamba a while ago, one or two voices and the herd follows, that's what I see with Miller. Bamba has and always will be in my opinion a tremendous asset to Hibs. He's proven, to me Miller has a long way to go.

What options did he have today ..?...to be honest ...Deeks out wide i dont like ..Stokes seemed to be on another planet & Nish spent 80 odd minutes snogging the Irvine Meadow CH ..

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

It looks like you are !
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    What options did he have today ..?...to be honest ...Deeks out wide i dont like ..Stokes seemed to be on another planet & Nish spent 80 odd minutes snogging the Irvine Meadow CH ..
    A player of his "class" should make chances. Through balls for forwards to run on to instead of playing to other midfilders or our full backs. Waht about an occasional "dink" over the top, something to go at?

It's not just him, I just can't see what most others see in LM.

His standard of play has fallen over the last few games.He made a lot of hospital passes today which could have caused an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    It looks like you are !
    The "real" fans will back me up shortly!

The ones who understand the game, the ones who just have a wee apperitif post match!

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar

The ones who understand the game, the ones who just have a wee apperitif post match!
    Lost me there mate.

"Real fans"

I'm the realist fan there is
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Left by mutual consent!
    A player of his "class" should make chances. Through balls for forwards to run on to instead of playing to other midfilders or our full backs. Waht about an occasional "dink" over the top, something to go at?

Most of the times our whole midfield had a chance to play forward, our strikers had wandered offside. Liam and most of the midfield have had a sticky patch for the last 3 games but he's the real deal for me.

Opinions eh

I know what you are saying mate but look at the team as a whole ..Zemmama ..bottled it, frightened to take anyone on...Rankin ..a lot of running but absolutley nowt positive ..Nish ..as explained above ..Riordan as explained above ..Stokes ..as explained above..

Look at the full backs ..Hanlon ..attacked ..no options passed back ..Wotherspoon ..attacked ..no options ..passed back ..

Long ball to Nish ..wtf ..he couldnt jump even if he had springs attached !!!

At times we were pretty clueless & tbh the level we lowered ourselves to was pretty embarrasing..3rd top SPL V Juniors ..

Blog Entries

Putting yourself out on a limb, MussyHibby, starting up the holier than thou chestnut.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You may be in the minority but I can confirm you are not alone. I am glad we signed him but have still to spot the outstanding contribution he has made to the team that others rave about.

Other teams still seem to outplay us in the midfield (including the Medda in patches today) which was an issue for us last year. This year our midfield has been better with McBride in it and at the moment I think we miss him more than we would Miller. Once we get McBride back though we may see the best of Miller but still feel the midfield needs strengthehed. IMO

I like miller but feel we need a more forward thinking midfielder in beside him to get the best out of him. He did have one of his poorer games today but was by no means anywhere near our worst player on the pitch.

Coaching Staff
    Miller is top class. He might need a wee rest though as Hughes wanted to rest him weeks ago but couldn't. There's a danger we'll just get used to him doing the easy things very well, a bit like boozy did and we'll be constantly looking for something more flashy before we decide he's had a good game.