hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Irvine Meadow post-match thoughts

First Post on here.

Whats the general feeling about the game today?

By no means an outstanding performance but a win all the same and we're in the hat again in our latest pursuit of the holy grail! Wasnt really interested if it was 1 or 10 - as long as we got through. Good to see Deeks back on the goal trail again too.

To round it all off, the yams got papped out today and were apparently awful! Happy days.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Poor. Hanlon (despite the goal) and Rankin were awful. IM are better than your usual SFL2 / SFL3 clubs. Like I said when the draw was made, doesn't matter if its 1-0 or 10-0. Just as well Yogi played his full team, if the reserves had played, Hibs would have struggled to win that. Not worth the risk IMO.

Hogg man of the match

Hughes' quotes, 17.30

They come and gave it a go.

Let’s give them the credit. Bottom line we are in the hat for the next round.

Their supporters fantastic. We needed to dig deep.

Big pat on back for the stadium staff that got the game on, it was massively important the game went ahead today.

A couple more goals would have been a bit hard on them.

[Wouldn’t be drawn on the penalty incident]

I still think there is plenty to come from this team. They have to want to do it and want to do it together.

I hope they had a right good time. Hope they went home with strips, balls, good memories.

We have been trying to get in touch with Bamba. All our condolences go out to the Togo players. We’re hoping that Bamba is OK but we’re sure that FIFA will have him in safe hands.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Hello & welcome
    No-one was injured, wee glimpses of proper footie but a load of p - - h thrown in as well. Was hoping for some confidence building but don't think that happened; if anything Hanlon in particular will have to get over a shocking performance, despite almost scoring 2 goals.
    On the bright side, it was nice to relax watching a SC game, instead of the usual stress-inducing horror shows.
    It'll look good on the highlights.
    GG
    And of course one of the big 'favourites' went down with all hands in Sheepland.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Wasn't the best game I've ever seen but we got the result and that's all that matters

Rankin was simply awful but no one really covered themselves in glory today.

@hibs.net private member
    We were awful. Having said that, its the cup, we are through. Job done in the end.

First Team Breakthrough Bob1875's Avatar
    Worst game I've seen all season. It really was like a junior game. Mind you, how you can be expected to play football on that kind of pitch is beyond me, the ball just constantly bobbled about the place. Summer football please.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wasn't the best game I've ever seen but we got the result and that's all that matters

Rankin was simply awful but no one really covered themselves in glory today.
    How hard must it be to play for Hibs in midfield and just pass the ball backwards to the guy who gave it you 9 times out of 10. The other time you play a play a pass that isn't on and lose the ball.

Lewis looked rusty when he came on but a much better player.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    We were shocking. Thought we looked like the junior team at times!! Also difficult to see from my seat but I thought it looked a pen to them! Anyone get a better view???

Left by mutual consent!
    The first 20 mins I didn't know who was from the SPL!

They started to run out of steam a bit just when we got the goal.

I had us down for 5 or 6 but at least we're through.

Zemmama was pretty pish today, too long on the ball again and thought he could just stroll around.

The pen incident was right in front of me and I wasn't sure, think the player looked for it but could have gone either way from where I was sitting. Don't know if there was contact.

First Team Breakthrough
    Absolutely shocking today, Nish and Rankin in particular.

Also there is no point saying 'at least we are through' etc, as that draw was basically a bye for Hibs. I expect people to say that's disrespectful but for me that is reality.

We should have created much more than we did and it is amazing that Irvine did not actually score.

We're kidding ourselves on if we're happy with that really, arent we?

Left by mutual consent!
    We were, as we have been for the last 4 games, utterly awful..

Pretty embarrassing at points today but we're in the hat and the yam fuds arnae..

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    We were shocking. Thought we looked like the junior team at times!! Also difficult to see from my seat but I thought it looked a pen to them! Anyone get a better view???
    Yeah defo a pen'. That's why the ref booked the guy for diving.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Do refs always get it right?

Coaching Staff
    Hanlon, Nish, Rankin and Hogg were absolutely woeful today. Top marks to Wotherspoon, Miller and Stokes who all actually looked like they wanted to win and put in effort until the 90th minute. For the sponsor(s) who gave Hogg MOM, they must be related to the linesman who never gave Meadow the penalty, as their eyes must need tested. Wotherspoon was my MOM, with Miller and Murray close second. That performance was on a par with the worst of Mixu. Start playing 4-4-2 Yogi, get Stokes and Riordan to develop a partnership up front, and give some game time to Galbraith, Cregg and Stevenson. Jeez if a junior side can win, scrap and overwhelm our midfield, what on earth will Dundee Utd and St Johnstone do. Terrible game today, cracking crowd, both Hibs and Meadow, given the weather.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Hanlon, Nish, Rankin and Hogg were absolutely woeful today. Top marks to Wotherspoon, Miller and Stokes who all actually looked like they wanted to win and put in effort until the 90th minute. For the sponsor(s) who gave Hogg MOM, they must be related to the linesman who never gave Meadow the penalty, as their eyes must need tested. Wotherspoon was my MOM, with Miller and Murray close second. That performance was on a par with the worst of Mixu. Start playing 4-4-2 Yogi, get Stokes and Riordan to develop a partnership up front, and give some game time to Galbraith, Cregg and Stevenson. Jeez if a junior side can win, scrap and overwhelm our midfield, what on earth will Dundee Utd and St Johnstone do. Terrible game today, cracking crowd, both Hibs and Meadow, given the weather.
    I would be unsure as to whether they can play together, the ball will never stick with them up there together and the work ethic isn't exactly fantastic.

Im actually beginning to wonder where we can play Riordan. He is becoming a liability at left midfield. Tin hat firmly on as he is one of the 'uncriticiseables', I know this.

@hibs.net private member Malthibby's Avatar
    Cannot agree with that, Stokes work-ethic is excellent, he constantly chases folk down & even Riordan has improved that side of things. Our balance is clearly not right, but Stokes & Riordan are developing an understanding. The main issues are further back.
    GG

Coaching Staff
    No tin hat required really, Riordan has been very poor this last few games and is back to his dummy spitting best. One attack in the first half, where Wotherspoon yet again had done excellent work from the wing, into the box, and just missed with his pass to either Riordan or Stokes, Derek decided to waste the next 30 seconds shouting abuse at DW instead of getting back up the pitch to try to win back possession. His free kick second half was nothing short of pathetic, and his touch escaped him all day bar the one yard tap in. I will happily stand in the "bench Derek" trenches with you cabbage

My first thoughts were that it looked like a clear pen to them, need to see the replay though. Strangely nervous and tentative today, no fan support from us. Some numptie in the East spent the whole match abusing Rankin, Nish, and Hogg the entire match. The result was all that mattered, played some good football in the latter stages. Stokes, alongside Murray and Hogg led by example. Their fans, however, total vermin, Hun wannabes doesn't even come close to describing them. We arra the Peepul rage inducing, as was all the Rangers imitation/hero worship. Even the Medda chants sounded like rankgers. Pathetic bunch, but supported their team throughout, cheering backpasses and shys!!!! Glad we've seen the back of them. F*** living in Irvine though!

Coaching Staff
    I will qualify that statement by saying that if Riordan is not played as a centre forward, then the bench should have a place for him if Yogi continues playing him left mid.

@hibs.net private member gorgie_harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage1875 View Post
    Absolutely shocking today, Nish and Rankin in particular.

Also there is no point saying 'at least we are through' etc, as that draw was basically a bye for Hibs. I expect people to say that's disrespectful but for me that is reality.

We should have created much more than we did and it is amazing that Irvine did not actually score.

Very very poor by Hibernian the day.(Not happy with that performance.)
    Can do, and must do better.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthibby View Post
    Cannot agree with that, Stokes work-ethic is excellent, he constantly chases folk down & even Riordan has improved that side of things. Our balance is clearly not right, but Stokes & Riordan are developing an understanding. The main issues are further back.
    GG
    I think we have issues all over the park. Tin hat on again, mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    No tin hat required really, Riordan has been very poor this last few games and is back to his dummy spitting best. One attack in the first half, where Wotherspoon yet again had done excellent work from the wing, into the box, and just missed with his pass to either Riordan or Stokes, Derek decided to waste the next 30 seconds shouting abuse at DW instead of getting back up the pitch to try to win back possession. His free kick second half was nothing short of pathetic, and his touch escaped him all day bar the one yard tap in. I will happily stand in the "bench Derek" trenches with you cabbage
    Good man, surprised to get some support for that train of thought so quickly

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cropley10 View Post
    Is this meant to be sarcastic??? Ur surely not suggesting Referees dont make mistakes?!?!?

Along with the performance, I thought a lot of the attitudes out there were dreadful. Any Hibs player making a basic error seemed to be immediately looking round for someone else to blame. Hogg was about the worst which, considering he's the captain, is shocking!

It's time to bin the MOTM award. If Hogg can get it on today's performance, it is meaningless.

Thought Riordan did OK today - scored!
    Rankin is pish
    Nish is pish
    Hanlon showed good character after a woeful first half
    Defo a pen IMO
    Irvine could have won game if they had a bit more luck and took their clearer chances
    Steak pie and bovril overpriced but necessary today!
    Jambos oot.

Well thats £25 and an afteroon out of my life i'll never get back!!!

I seriously hope we werent out of first gear there, we were hopeless!!

Its always difficult to come on and criticise after a win but we were shocking today.

I thought Irvine Meadow were total pish, any chances they got came from us falling asleep and switching off. They could barely get near us in the 2nd half.

Ay least we're through though, unlike the West Edinburgh Brown Shirts

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Just as well Yogi played his full team, if the reserves had played, Hibs would have struggled to win that. Not worth the risk IMO.
    Disagree. I think the psychology here is very important.

The team selected today is basically the first choice for SPL matches. So they go into this match:

> Likely to be a bit complacent
    > Unlikely to stretch themselves and risk injury thereby missing future 'expected' appearances in the SPL in forthcoming weeks.

On the other hand, give some of your second string players an opportunity to show what they can do and not only do they have less to lose but they are more likely to give their all in an effort to prove their worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    Zemmama was pretty pish today, too long on the ball again and thought he could just stroll around.
    As I said ....

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage1875 View Post

How may posters on here have declared:

"When that team clicks we're going to really give some team a doing."

Well today was the big opportunity to do just that.

Faxed Back to Kaunas

I love Hibs but, jeez, I hate watching them

First game since December 2008 today and I thought it was, by and large, murder. I guess living abroad can distort your viewpoint but I was pretty alarmed by the standard on show. Surely we can play a lot better than that?

Didn't help that I was freezing I guess and I know all that really counts is that we got through to the next round (unlike the yams ) but I'd hoped to see us put on a bit of show today.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie1892 View Post
    They come and gave it a go.

Let’s give them the credit. Bottom line we are in the hat for the next round.

Their supporters fantastic. We needed to dig deep.

Big pat on back for the stadium staff that got the game on, it was massively important the game went ahead today.

A couple more goals would have been a bit hard on them.

[Wouldn’t be drawn on the penalty incident]

I still think there is plenty to come from this team. They have to want to do it and want to do it together.

I hope they had a right good time. Hope they went home with strips, balls, good memories.

Bollox to that Yogi ..football is meant to be about entertainment, thats why we pay our friggin money ....the minute the 3rd went in the game turned dull as dishwater & it got worse after you chopped & changed, ffs man did Dunfermline feel any sympathy for Stenhousemuir when they rattled 7 past them !!

Signed- an absolutley frozen bored oot ma tits Happyhibbie ..

Riordan-scored one goal,set up another and was involved in a third-should definitely be dropped.

The problem with the team is the midfield-pointless passing,slow release of the ball,playing themselves into trouble-in fact it's just like watching Falkirk last season-any connection?