hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Rankin

John Rankin

How he continues to get a game ahead of Cregg or anyone else i will never know

He brings nothing to the team and his passing for a CM is kack and he keeps on shooting from long range and misses the target every time. his goal against Celtic was a 1 off so stop giving the ball away with shots that he is never going to score. i'm all for having shots from just outside the box but rankin shoots from like 30 yards

Hopefully he will be dropped now McBride is back from his injury

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Have a word. Rankin was good today.

Okay - maybe not tremendous, but he didn't put in any less of a shift than anyone else.
    Last edited by steakbake; 03-01-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by greglauder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He brings nothing to the team and his passing for a CM is kack and he keeps on shooting from long range and misses the target every time. his goal against Celtic was a 1 off so stop giving the ball away with shots that he is never going to score. i'm all for having shots from just outside the box but rankin shoots from like 30 yards

Rankin was pretty poor today, I think the thing that should keep McBride in is his passing. He rarely wastes a ball. for me he has been one of our best players this season and I hope he hits the form he was in before his injury soon.

@hibs.net private member
    No was not he is never an spl player. McBride is a much better player. Now that he is fit Rankin back to the bench (even that's to good for him )

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    I thought today was one of Rankins better games..

funny how some want him out and yet some think he was impressive today.

I can't believe people put up with performances like his. Yeah he won a few challenges but that was only because he just kept giving hearts the ball.
    To play centre mid you have to be good at passing which he aint. Also if there is no 'destroyer' in the midfield then everyone has to win some headers but he just ducks out the road of them.

Certainly if mcbride is back then rankin will be on the bench.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by greglauder View Post

Out of the players we have,he would be in my squad.He did a lot of work today and I will give him more than 5/10 for today..

Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Spain View Post
    Out of the players we have,he would be in my squad.He did a lot of work today and I will give him more than 5/10 for today..
    I didn't think Rankin was better or worse that anyone else today. Looks like he is up for todays scapegoat award.

I loathe to slag off our own players but I am at the end of my tether with Rankin's inclusion. He contributes so little. I would understand if he was in the team to make up for McBride's absence but he is a completely different type of player. And by that I mean that one is a solid, composed holding midfielder while the other lacks composure entirely. It destroys our balance and I for one cannot understand it. I have NEVER seen hibs dominate in midfield with Rankin in the side. It's kinda frustrating because it's obvious that he has talent and a gifted left foot. Unfortunately, it's also obvious that he will never be good enough for hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksaltire View Post
    Have a word. Rankin was good today.

Okay - maybe not tremendous, but he didn't put in any less of a shift than anyone else.
    Rankin ran about a lot, probably more than anyone, however, his passing was bad, he constantly chose the wrong pass and why oh why does he keep trying to re create the squigler. He always tries a shot from about 40 yards. Yes puts a shift in, but doesnt help the team. Need someone with a bit more purpose and direction.

If putting in a shift and chasing people about the pitch is enough then Rankin deserves his place in the Hibs team. IMHO however, this is not good enough for Hibs or the SPL for that matter. For a key midfielder, his decision making and passing is woeful.

A good test is: would he get a game for any of the so called bigger teams in the SPL - Dons, DUFC, Arabs ? Not a chance.

IMHO Rankin is not good enough to play in Hibs current formation and needs replaced.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    I thought today was one of Rankins better games..
    But only compared to other Rankin performances. Compared to what we need in midfield, he is a waste of a jersey.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Average player but have to admit his constant attempts at a 'squiggler' are becoming annoying

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Rankin is a decent SPL level player and could probably do well at somewhere like Falkirk or Hamilton but im afraid he is nowhere near the standard needed in our midfield. He does a lot of running and gets himself on the ball a lot but his decision making is poor and if he has to pass the ball more than 5 yards he's lost.

Glad to see that McBride is back as we have missed him in the last few weeks but Rankin is not an adequate replacement in midfield.

Would not be disappointed to see him go in the summer TBH

Coaching Staff
    Not a player that will take us where we want to be so will no doubt be replaced in due course.

I suspect his professional attitiude is counting for a lot with Hughes and also being left sided he is giving more balance than it would be putting Cregg in there.

He certainly puts in the effort but is not really good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    Rankin ran about a lot, probably more than anyone, however, his passing was bad, he constantly chose the wrong pass and why oh why does he keep trying to re create the squigler. He always tries a shot from about 40 yards. Yes puts a shift in, but doesnt help the team. Need someone with a bit more purpose and direction.

Tend to agree ,but it depends what instruction Yogi gave him before they went out .

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    If putting in a shift and chasing people about the pitch is enough then Rankin deserves his place in the Hibs team. IMHO however, this is not good enough for Hibs or the SPL for that matter. For a key midfielder, his decision making and passing is woeful.

A good test is: would he get a game for any of the so called bigger teams in the SPL - Dons, DUFC, Arabs ? Not a chance.

IMHO Rankin is not good enough to play in Hibs current formation and needs replaced.
    Interesting. Because one, or rather two, of the teams mentioned, were hoping that he'd be emptied when Mixu left so they could have a look at him.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Not a player that will take us where we want to be so will no doubt be replaced in due course.

I suspect his professional attitiude is counting for a lot with Hughes and also being left sided he is giving more balance than it would be putting Cregg in there.

Hmm... despite being left footed, Rankin doesn't seem to operate anywhere other than the middle though.

I preferred Stephen Glass, personally... another left footer with a professional attitude, and the occasional goal.

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    I didn't think Rankin was better or worse that anyone else today. Looks like he is up for todays scapegoat award.

My thought's exactly
    No "Maka" so let's find another scapegoat !!
    Yuch !!

First Team Breakthrough martin63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    My thought's exactly
    No "Maka" so let's find another scapegoat !!
    Yuch !!

I couldn't agree more.

So whos' turn is it next week if Rankin gets dropped?

by no means our worst player.......not the best technically but he does a shift and works hard.

agree he should forget shooting from 40 yards but there were a few worse than him.

we played poorly but we got a point....

my main concern was the lack of help stokes got and why riordan was always on the left touchline.

hopefully we will sign a full back and centre half this transfer window.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for us. I accept he works hard and the purpose of said hard work is to get us the ball back. The problem with Rankin is that he gives it away more often than not which means it's fairly pointless having him in the team.

His distribution and decision making is very poor. He rarely plays it simple and is more inclined to try and play a world cup pass which is usually shanked out the park or attempt a 'squiggler' from ridiculous distances/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post

Oi cut the balanced comments on players thats not allowed...you have to either slate or defend....is the .net way don't you know

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Tries hard but don't think he is really good enough...

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    Interesting. Because one, or rather two, of the teams mentioned, were hoping that he'd be emptied when Mixu left so they could have a look at him.

And where are these teams now ?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SKIPSTER07
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs13681 View Post
    his woeful passing put stokes through twice in the first half

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    Miller plays better alongside McBride...KM holds back allowing Miller to work his magic...

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    And where are these teams now ?
    Giving us a fair run for our money until they lost thier manager.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    by no means our worst player.......not the best technically but he does a shift and works hard.

agree he should forget shooting from 40 yards but there were a few worse than him.

we played poorly but we got a point....

my main concern was the lack of help stokes got and why riordan was always on the left touchline.

hopefully we will sign a full back and centre half this transfer window.
    A nonentity who NEVER wins a ball in the air in midfield, plays centrally & never shows for a second ball, cant beat a man ever, who played just about all of last season when we had imo probably the worst midfield in the SPL, (for many a year) just doesnt seem to fit in with either his fellow midfielders, defenders, forwards, indeed who does he find with a pass if they arent practically sitting on top of him, the guy is mince in midfield, no questions about it, this type of squad player is holding Hibs back from being a much better team! But he "grafts" and is popular with some fans!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    He's one of those players you need in a squad at the moment. Imho he is not a starter if everyone is fit, but he offers us energy in the midfield, but thats not enough to make him a regular at any club wanting a European place. I'm sure he will only play when there are injuries and suspensions. And if we bring in anymore midfielders, i think he will drop down the pecking order, and then nearer the door.