hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"winning mentality" / comments from Stokes (merged)

I've always believed - through years of painful experience - that when push comes to shove the OF exert their authority on the Provincial Pretenders and upstarts. Tomorrow is a classic example of matches in the past where Hibs have a chance to make a real statement. Show that they are winners and have the bottle desire and quality to stand up to the OF.

If and is it is huge IF, Hibs do manage to take the Huns tomorrow, it could IMHO be the most significant result in years and could give Hibs players the self-belief and desire to push on. More likely of course is a draw or loss which would just reinforce our position as strictly second rate - or worse still a beating that might put us in reverse.

Tomorrow is much more than 3 points and a chance to get us back into the race. It is our one - and maybe only chance to send a clear message to the Huns. Do we have winners at ER ? Do they have the bottle ?

Guess we'll find out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    I would love to see a win tomo but i think rangers might just sneak it, just hope if we do get beat it doesnt set us back to much and we can push on and give rangers and celtic a good challenge in the league

No Sol in the back four. Iain Brines in the middle?

If we get a point I'll be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by EasterRoad4Ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always believed - through years of painful experience - that when push comes to shove the OF exert their authority on the Provincial Pretenders and upstarts. Tomorrow is a classic example of matches in the past where Hibs have a chance to make a real statement. Show that they are winners and have the bottle desire and quality to stand up to the OF.

If and is it is huge IF, Hibs do manage to take the Huns tomorrow, it could IMHO be the most significant result in years and could give Hibs players the self-belief and desire to push on. More likely of course is a draw or loss which would just reinforce our position as strictly second rate - or worse still a beating that might put us in reverse.

Tomorrow is much more than 3 points and a chance to get us back into the race. It is our one - and maybe only chance to send a clear message to the Huns. Do we have winners at ER ? Do they have the bottle ?

Guess we'll find out.
    It is all of the above however I am going to be there just to support my team win/lose/draw. Been a Hibby to long to worry about the what if's and what we should be's only to be dissapointed and pleasantly/deliriously supprised at the varying results over the last 35 years or so, anything is possible with the Hibs.

Having said that and a good afternoon in the boozer, let's get Intae these *****!!!

Early start see youse tomorrow

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    We must win tomorrow.

Anything less isn't good enough...

Could see us beat Johnny Hun and get turned over badly at Perth. I think you look to beat the teams below and get what you can from those above you. The players continually say we're a work in progress (and we obviously are) and are right not to get into this sort of talk.

I'd like to see an attitude at Hibs whereby we set minimum standards rather than said we'll split the OF or win the League.

I would not want to see Hibernian ever outside the top 4 and would deem any season we were to be unsuccessful. To do that regularly, we have to beat the teams currently below us on a regular basis. To me that's the real measure of our success/progress rather than punching above our weight in one-off's against shabby empires bloated by TV cash and coffers of those pandering to sectarianism and glory hunterism.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Tbh, we must take something from this game if we're to have a chance of sticking with the OF throughout the rest of the season.
    I can't see them dropping many more points against the smaller teams tbh so we need to take as many points as possible in these games.

Head says a score draw tomorrow. Heart says 2-0 Hibs.
    Can definitely see us taking something though.

Left by mutual consent!
    This is our chance to show if we are serious about it or not.. Dundee United had there chance a few weeks ago and blew it big time.. They never even turned up and Rangers won comfortably in the end...

First and foremost we MUST turn up and put in a good performance which inturn will hopefully end up in getting a result that will be good for us....

Left by mutual consent!
    One of the worst Rangers teams I can remember, let's get in tae thum and see what happens!

Here's hoping, to be honest the whole thing seems far too important an affair to be entrusted to a group of 20 somethings but that's football I suppose

Big Sol will be a miss at the back.

I am really worried about Boyd and Miller (in particular) up front for them.

I hope that we don't give them any respect and get really wired in to them. I hope Yogi has pinned our ex captain's comments ("I will be surprised if the OF don't finish at least 20 pts clear of the third placed team") on the dressing room wall.

Fingers crossed that we play well to a man, don't give anything away (Maka is a bit of a worry) and get a bit of luck (Yam style)........I do fancy Deek to score tomorrow, just hope we can keep another clean sheet.

Come on Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    Here's hoping, to be honest the whole thing seems far too important an affair to be entrusted to a group of 20 somethings but that's football I suppose
    Christ I'm feeling old...

@hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar
    Remember folks its only the Huns. Lets get stuck right intae them from first to last. If we match them in the battle im sure we can beat them at the beautiful game.

Blog Entries
    Hope McBride makes it as although Rankin has done well McBride is a step above and does the protecting job so well.

Its a really tasty festive fixture list..if I'm honest I was surprised we dug out 3 points against the Dons

Rangers have us / Dundee Untd / Celtic so its pretty big 3 games for them as well.

Let us - the fans - remember its 90 + minutes and we have made a habit of saving the goals till late on (would preffer a bit earlier for the sake of the nerves)

As I said in another post...would take extending our unbeaten run to 15 right now

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    We must win tomorrow.

Anything less isn't good enough...
    Agreed but as I said on the PM board we'll be the plucky losers tomorrow and be dammed with faint praise by Walter and the media. I think we'll go 4-0 up only to lose 4-4 (SFA will award the win to the Huns on away goals rule)

@hibs.net private member Simkin911's Avatar
    I geniunely hope the team do well tomorrow. However, like all Hibs fans - we're not motivated to support the team by perpetual success.

Since my first match in '85 versus St Mirren at home (a 4-0 defeat ), I've clearly never been motivated by success. Throw in a couple of cup wins plus Tennents 6s winners(!) since then and I've enjoyed the odd period of success and note worthy result more than any Celtic or Rangers fan will remember an individual league title success.

My expectations are not necessarily low - they just reflect my history of supporting Hibs. I'd like to see regular top 4 finishes, European footie, and the occasional cup success (esp SC) and, of course, betting the Jambos more often than not.

I can't really think of a time when I'd perhaps at least have as many of the Hibs players in a team as Rangers players. Man for man, even the league table only puts them slightly ahead of us. With home advantage, I believe we'll remain unbeatable by 2pm tomorrow.

Realistically, we have nothing to lose. We're neither defending a title or under pressure to win one.

Tomorrow, they'll have my full support and confidence of a positive outcome.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser_Sauzee View Post
    Yeah that was a great game also it came a week before we beat hearts 6-2...who do we play next week...

Rangers fans will sing loud tomorrow. Celtic are right behind them, and they'll be hoping to put us in our place. A big game for their vile away support.

Lets do our best to drown them out and make it our day

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Agreed but as I said on the PM board we'll be the plucky losers tomorrow and be dammed with faint praise by Walter and the media. I think we'll go 4-0 up only to lose 4-4 (SFA will award the win to the Huns on away goals rule)
    LTYF.

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Rangers have scored early goals in their last half dozen or so matches.

This includes an early goal against us at Ibrox. We need to keep things tight the first half hour.

We are certainly capable of beating them. Chances, when they come, must be put away. Minimise error's at the back and we could taste the sweet smell of victory.

But being what we are, though, it's the game up in Perth that could see our unbeaten run end.

Quote Originally Posted by stubru59 View Post
    Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but Rangers have scored early goals in their last half dozen or so matches.

This includes an early goal against us at Ibrox. We need to keep things tight the first half hour.
    We are certainly capable of beating them. Chances, when they come, must be put away. Minimise error's at the back and we could taste the sweet smell of victory.

But being what we are, though, it's the game up in Perth that could see our unbeaten run end.

I would like to see us keeping things tight for the entire match.

:notworthy:

Bottled it

Take nothing away from the 12 match run and team spirit Hibs have built - outstanding. However, on 55 minutes today the team completely bottled it. No fight, no pride, no desire, no winners. Just 11 defeated Hibs players with 35 minutes of football to play at their home ground.

Forget the result - 4 shots/4 goals and the Huns deserved their win. It was the shocking manner of defeated subservient pretenders' utter capitulation to a very average Hun side that was so disappointing. Would Celtic have collapsed like that --- no, their famns would not have accepted it. Would even the Yams have given up at that point .... no chance. Yet most of the players in green were found wanting when it really mattered. The difference between an OF player and your average Hibs player was there for all to see.

How Hughes motivates them for the next match and the Yam visit (who'll now be licking their lips at the thought) will tell us much about his managerial credentials. Its a big job.
    Last edited by EasterRoad4Ever; 27-12-2009 at 02:05 PM.

we started brilliantly but their first goal shook us up. it was out of the blue. Deeks was a passenger and zemmama only wanted to work going forward. Maka is a clown. I think we will miss bamba when he goes.

we are still in good shape though and we will finish best of the rest atleast.

I'm banging a drum that seems only mine to bang.

But I wholly disagree with this post mate.

They were firing on all cylinders from kick-off.

They were firing on all cylinders from the second-half kick-off.

Then the big guy let one in. And it was game over.

I don't think for one second that this was Yogi's fault. He's going to be the best manager we've had in a very long time.

I would guess he'll have them motivated for StJ. In fact I'm sure he will.

But he needs to buy another keeper.

Coaching Staff
    to an extent. The H*nz had bruisers, who were prepared to battle, throughout their team. OK it wasn't pretty, it wasn't football but with Smith's teams what you see is what you get.

I don't know what Cregg was brought here for, he's the type that likes to rattle the opposition by getting his tackles in. Needed some of that today, and Rankin isn't up to that job. If Cregg isn't getting quoted for some reason, then a couple of big bruisers who aren't scared to get stuck in should be brought in in the transfer window, please, Yogi! Too many lightweights in the team.

The two young full backs were horribly exposed, throughout, too. Glad Bamba was there, because to my mind he held the defence together on his own. We will miss him big time when he is away, IMO.

Also I'm worried that our so-called embarrassment of riches up front isn't what it is cracked up to be. Deek has been off form for weeks, Nish has done well at some things but hasn't scored much, and Benji doesn't seem to get much time on the pitch. New forward needed, or do we take a risk with another young player and give Byrne a chance?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I don't think we bottled it at all. We were beaten by a better side on the day. And they were aided with a few costly mistakes. We have got to were we are, by doing well with this bunch of players. Yes we played badly today, but we are a far better side now, than just 6 months ago. Yogi will strengthen in January, and again in the summer. The futures looking good.

Left by mutual consent!
    We didn't bottle it..

Maka did.. AGAIN!

It was like shootie in with that clown in goals again..

The heads went down after he selt the badge once more at the 3rd..

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    We didn't bottle it..

Maka did.. AGAIN!

QED. 35 minutes still to play 1-3 down to an average Hun side at home and the game is over as a contest. By all means we can find a scapegoat or blame individual errors, but I've seen it all too often over the decades. Hibs bottled it, pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Number_10 View Post
    We didn't bottle it..

Maka did.. AGAIN!

I, for 1, agree. Glad I'm not alone.

Hamilton was a freak result. Celtic got lucky. Killie was Maka's fault and so was today's. Go figure.

I can see this polarising opinions hugely. But I'm afraid Maka gets a huge thumbs down from me.