hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Whittaker

The Huns on the BBC forum going mental about him this was one of the quotes-

At what point is Walter Smith going to realise that Steven Whittaker is not actually a footballer?

I have watched 50 minutes of this champions league game so far and not once has the guy prooved that he should be within 50 miles of a football!!!!!!!

Wake up Walter and smell the coffee (or fans distaste for your team selections). Steven Whittaker is NOT a football player that should ever be playing for this team!!!!

Thanks for the £2million. When he played for us he was rated as the best RB in scotland what have they done to him? or is it playing against high class european opposistion he is just out of his depth?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Thing is the Huns have a habit of taking the best young talented players from other teams and somehow transforming them into complete huddies within a season.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I've no idea what's happened to Whittaker, but to say he's "not a footballer" is ludicrous.

It's just the Old Firm ruining another young Scottish player, is it not? Must be some weird anti-coaching they do over there.

If Steven fancies "doing a Murray" and returning to the club that gave him his opportunity, I'd welcome him back... oh wait, we've already got a brilliant replacement in Wotherspoon. Bugger.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Miller View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Huns on the BBC forum going mental about him this was one of the quotes-

At what point is Walter Smith going to realise that Steven Whittaker is not actually a footballer?

I have watched 50 minutes of this champions league game so far and not once has the guy prooved that he should be within 50 miles of a football!!!!!!!

Wake up Walter and smell the coffee (or fans distaste for your team selections). Steven Whittaker is NOT a football player that should ever be playing for this team!!!!

Thanks for the £2million. When he played for us he was rated as the best RB in scotland what have they done to him? or is it playing against high class european opposistion he is just out of his depth?
    I think SW is a good player definately worth £2m. How can you say he is not a football player...what doesn't qualify him to be a football player?

The Champs League is the toughest club competition in the world and all the Rangers players have struggled this year not just SW.

IMO if SW was still a Hibs player he would be in our team ahead of Wotherspoon.

Coaching Staff
    Great going forward, but with little end product, and an average defender at best.

I can see why he is being found out a bit, particulalry in Europe.

Any time we played against decent wide players he used to get badly beaten most times.

Yeh they must do something to do them maybe its the water in the west. Deek,Brown,whittaker and Thommo all have suffered moving there. Steven Fletcher has got better he's looking like a real class act at Burnley.

@hibs.net private member
    I think we should bid for him in January. Start the bidding at £100k - that's the way it's done isn't it?

Yeh they must do something to do them maybe its the water in the west. Deek,Brown,whittaker and Thommo all have suffered moving there. Steven Fletcher has got better he's looking like a real class act at Burnley.
    With the exception of Deek, the other players you have mentioned play regularly for teams that consistently finish above us and we rarely beat. The may not have progressed to the superstar level some fans thought they would but they are playing for bigger clubs.

Going by the logic on this thread all players that go to the OF get worse...how are they still above us then?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    I think we should bid for him in January. Start the bidding at £100k - that's the way it's done isn't it?
    100k spread over 3 years

Quote Originally Posted by Green Mikey View Post
    With the exception of Deek, the other players you have mentioned play regularly for teams that consistently finish above us and we rarely beat. The may not have progressed to the superstar level some fans thought they would but they are playing for bigger clubs.

Going by the logic on this thread all players that go to the OF get worse...how are they still above us then?
    Yeh they are all playing and they are all good players but they haven't improved as first thought. But we made a nice £8million out of them.

@hibs.net private member Monktonhall 7's Avatar

Talking

Must say that when I do watch Der Hun, and its not often, I tend to focus on Whittaker & Thomson. Recently, especially in Champions League, I'm glad the cash is in the bank!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

Isn't Whittaker keeping that boy Clubfoot out of the Rangers team just now?

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatan View Post
    100k spread over 3 years
    50k add-on when he gets 20 caps....for Papa New Guinea

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Clubfoot is injured.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    I thought Broadfoot was out injured? Sure I seen him on the back of a paper the other day saying he was ready to come back / played a reserve game. Something along those lines.

Whittaker can't defend for **** IMO. His style of play means he's caught out a lot. He's a much poorer Hutton.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1985 View Post
    I thought Broadfoot was out injured? Sure I seen him on the back of a paper the other day saying he was ready to come back / played a reserve game. Something along those lines.

Whittaker can't defend for **** IMO. His style of play means he's caught out a lot. He's a much poorer Hutton.
    How they got £9 million or whatever it was for Hutton is day light robbery.

Similar to the Yams getting £9 million for Gordon going to Sunderland.

Big fish in a small pond but no where near the money Sunderland and Spurs played for both sick notes.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    How we miss Lillian Martin.

Blog Entries
    I don't think Whittaker is as poor as they are making out. He's never been renowned for his defensive qualities and the Huns knew that when they bought him. I think he is this month's whipping boy. By February, next week even, he'll likely be their hero. Rantic fans are the most fickle around. Katie's getting the same treatment just now as well. Six months ago he was their saviour and being put on a pedestal for the captaincy. At the moment, they want shot of him. Mind you, I'm not losing sleep over their unpoularity.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'd take him back in a shot, come on Yogi make it happen.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Clubfoot is injured.
    Has he been poachin eggs again?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Has he been poachin eggs again?
    Naw thats an old injury, this one happened when he was dookin for chips.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    If nothing else Whittaker is a footballer in that he seems to have a passion for playing the game in the kind of way most of us love to see.

He never completely convinced as an RB at ER. When he was with us, there were always suggestions on here about pushing him into RM and counter-arguments as to why not. Never entirely convinced with his defending ability (although part of me always wondered whether he could have been converted into some sort of magnificent, roaming libero-style centre half, with the right tuition )

Would probably suit the way Hughes likes to play more than how he has been played up to now, or maybe would suit the old wing-back role. Most teams don't do wing-backs or liberos these days though.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

First Team Breakthrough Rossco1875's Avatar
    defending was never his strong point but a would have him back at easter road, since their in a wee bit of debt i think a 200k offer wouldnt go a miss

They wanted him so they are stuck wi him, did fine wi us and plays against the same teams so they should think twice about buying up Scottish talent then moaning about it...fannies

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Whittaker...

A poor mans Wotherspoon.

As if Rangers fans these days would know what an actual ball playing footballer was

He has - admittedly - been grim in every European game I've seen him in. At European level, his athletic abilities aren't enough to compensate for his frequent posiyional ***** ups, where in the SPL, they mostly are.

£2 million in, Wotherspoon at RB.

Thak you VERY much Rangers Football Club

There is only one player at Hunbrox who has played every game for them this season.

His name is Steven Whittaker.

I don't think he'll be going anywhere as long as Watty is the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Thak you VERY much Rangers Football Club
    A little bit too polite IMO. How about Few Cough Andy RFC?

As for Whits, he was decent (ish) going forward but, like many others, I never rated him as a defender. He seemed to be terrified by pace. The first time I ever saw him was at Pittodrie and Ricky Foster ripped him to pieces and although he's quick Foster certainly aint no world beater.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye...® View Post
    If nothing else Whittaker is a footballer in that he seems to have a passion for playing the game in the kind of way most of us love to see.

He never completely convinced as an RB at ER. When he was with us, there were always suggestions on here about pushing him into RM and counter-arguments as to why not. Never entirely convinced with his defending ability (although part of me always wondered whether he could have been converted into some sort of magnificent, roaming libero-style centre half, with the right tuition )

Would probably suit the way Hughes likes to play more than how he has been played up to now, or maybe would suit the old wing-back role. Most teams don't do wing-backs or liberos these days though.
    Yep, totally agree, good player going forward but often caught out of position for defensive duties. I didn't really trust him as a right back, I thought that even though Malkowski and Brown were pretty crap anyway they sometimes had to take the crap for some of his positional errors. Midfield, in my opinion, is where he would have been strongest, because he was a good passer of the ball and had good ball control as well. Low scoring record at Hibs would have been a slight concern, but only a slight one, even though the other full back Murphy was a much more prolific scorer, and if the truth be told, a better player. I think Wotherspoon has already proved that he provides more of a threat than Whittaker when it comes to creating scoring chances, but that doesn't mean I don't think Whittaker's a good player.

I recall him scoring a great goal away to Porto or Lyon last season. Think that's when they were playing him at RM.