hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    There is a lot of talk here about the media not wanting us to succeed, I am not sure how many of you listened to Paper Talk on Monday evening, (fortunately without that idiot Traynor) but they were saying just the opposite, but they are journalist and you normally can tell they are lying because their lips are moving or they are using a keyboard. Worth a listen about 15 mins in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pqdv4/Paper_Talk_with_Jim_Traynor_07_12_2009/

As for us selling players you have to remember that there many of our players who have been at the ‘Big Clubs’ and either joined us or have returned to ER. Many of them will know the grass is not always greener. We have many players would have been with EPL clubs including, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd as well as the old firm so they might not be so keen to leave.

We are also the only SPL club aside from Celtic who are still a buying club, and that was the reason that Scott Lindsay put out that message yesterday, just in case any agents thought we would be an easy touch. And as for strengthen the team next month, I don’t think that we will be trawling the likes of half decent players in the SPL but I think there will be a few more surprises to come.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    I want Hibs to finish First
    I hope we finish top
    would not just like to split the OF but would like to see them behind us

same as every season since i started supporting Hibs (early 70's) Thats what all supporters should want for thier team.

Do I really think we will do it - 3rd would be great to be honest anything above that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl o'Montrose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And therein lies the problem, Matty. We're still talking and acting like a selling club, and until such times when we can keep a good squad together for 2 or 3 years we're never going to realistically challenge for a CL place.
    And another thing, if we were still genuinely challenging for 2nd come the new year, the west coast media would panic, and try to undermine Hibs in any way possible (Daily ****** being the main culprit). There will be scurrilous rumours about dressing room unrest, transfer requests etc etc. I'll never forget - or forgive - the gutter media (Real Radio included) for the way in which they spent several weeks hysterically trying to sell off Thomson and Brown to one half or the other of Rantic. Pathetic I know,but no non old filth club will ever be allowed to hold on to a title challenging team.
    But if say a bid of £2.5m came in for bamba surely with barr waiting in the wings and yogi with another couple of targets then we could well be much stronger.Players like bamba will leave eventually so we need to make sure its on our terms and which helps yogi make the team stronger.

just got the feeling that despite this being the best ever chance, we will not push the boat out in january to try and get 2nd or 1st. If by some chance that we did get 2nd, i can't see the board then doing anything with that CL cash on the playing side.

Just not ambitous / stupid enough are they ?

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Steve View Post
    Just say No, kids

Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    just got the feeling that despite this being the best ever chance, we will not push the boat out in january to try and get 2nd or 1st. If by some chance that we did get 2nd, i can't see the board then doing anything with that CL cash on the playing side.

Just not ambitous / stupid enough are they ?
    Granted the money that we would receive for finishing 2nd would be much greater than any kind of money that we are used to getting for finishes in 3rd, 4th, 5th etc but making the qualifying stages of the Champions League really doesn't make the club a fortune.

We would really need to get to the group stages before any kind of serious money would come our way.

As it happens, if we did just get to the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, I believe that the board would release funds for John Hughes to go out and bring in a few players. I'm not saying he would have £5-6 million to spend but I do think they would back him financially.

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    Granted the money that we would receive for finishing 2nd would be much greater than any kind of money that we are used to getting for finishes in 3rd, 4th, 5th etc but making the qualifying stages of the Champions League really doesn't make the club a fortune.

We would really need to get to the group stages before any kind of serious money would come our way.

As it happens, if we did just get to the qualifying rounds of the Champions League, I believe that the board would release funds for John Hughes to go out and bring in a few players. I'm not saying he would have £5-6 million to spend but I do think they would back him financially.
    sorry for not being clear, i meant if we were given the group money (5-6 say)i feel the club wouldn't invest it as a lot of you think, ie into the team..

sorry for not being clear, i meant if we were given the group money (5-6 say)i feel the club wouldn't invest it as a lot of you think, ie into the team..
    I honestly think that if Hibs were to ever make the group stages of the Champions League , the board would provide Hughes with quite a substantial amount of money.

Again, it's not going to be in the same league as the kind of money that teams who are regularly competing in the latter stages of the Champions League are paying out on transfer fees and salaries, since they generate far more income from other sources than we do but I do think we would see a much higher standard of player coming to Easter Road as a result.

Coaching Staff
    Where would it go? The stand would be an obvious one but after that?

Quote Originally Posted by big-mo View Post
    There is a lot of talk here about the media not wanting us to succeed, I am not sure how many of you listened to Paper Talk on Monday evening, (fortunately without that idiot Traynor) but they were saying just the opposite, but they are journalist and you normally can tell they are lying because their lips are moving or they are using a keyboard. Worth a listen about 15 mins in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00pqdv4/Paper_Talk_with_Jim_Traynor_07_12_2009/

As for us selling players you have to remember that there many of our players who have been at the ‘Big Clubs’ and either joined us or have returned to ER. Many of them will know the grass is not always greener. We have many players would have been with EPL clubs including, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd as well as the old firm so they might not be so keen to leave.

We are also the only SPL club aside from Celtic who are still a buying club, and that was the reason that Scott Lindsay put out that message yesterday, just in case any agents thought we would be an easy touch. And as for strengthen the team next month, I don’t think that we will be trawling the likes of half decent players in the SPL but I think there will be a few more surprises to come.
    I agree that everybody should ignore the garbage spouted in our moribund, self-important newspapers. The sooner those things vanish of the face of the Earth, the better for us all. They'll try to hype up and then undermine Hibs and United and its all irrelevant bluster and bull****, what happens is what Yogi and the boys do on the park. The boring dictum of 'each game as it comes' has to apply.