hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gannon (merged)

@hibs.net private member
    From the following article it would seem that Gannon is simply giving the press the treatment they deserve (reported by the Daily Record - spot the delicious irony;0).I think he's quite right to make a stand - the football media in this country often sink to the level of pond life in their relentless search for a controversial angle. As Gannon points out, these lies and misrepresentations can have damaging effects - what he's doing is shining a spotlight on the guilty parties rather than just letting them get away with it as usual. to him for making a stand but will it make any difference??? Doubtful but you never know.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footbal...6908-21818972/

For anyone who objects on principal to giving the Daily ****** page a hit, here is the article in full>>>>

Motherwell manager Jim Gannon explains Lanarkshire derby silence

Nov 13 2009
    MOTHERWELL boss Jim Gannon claims the media are to blame for his decision to boycott last week's Lanarkshire derby post-match conference.

In the build-up to the game, the former Stockport manager picked up the Clydesdale Bank manager of the month award for October with striker Lukas Jutkiewicz claiming the young player prize.

However, Gannon was unhappy with the reporting of what he said when accepting the award and consequently, he did not turn up for the traditional press conference following his side's thrilling 2-2 draw with Hamilton.

"The reason why I didn't speak to the press was because I was really disappointed with the coverage we got leading up to the game," the Fir Park boss told his club's official website.

"In particular, one organisation had spun a story about me telling players they could leave which wasn't the case.

"Other press then ran with the story, adding statements saying I had told players they could go and started naming names which I felt was totally disrespectful to me and the players involved.

"Some of the players they named have been extremely good professionals or have been injured and have been working really hard to show they've got a career here at the club.

"I think it was out of order to paraphrase me and I felt if they are going to be that disrespectful to me, the players and the club then perhaps they shouldn't get my respect sharing my pre and post-match time and thoughts."

Gannon continued: "Naturally enough when you're a manager, some players don't always come and speak to you personally to understand your thinking or what is going through your mind so when they pick up an article like that then obviously it may worry them.

"Most of them are long enough in the game to understand that there aren't any direct quotes from me about anyone's individual position.

"Moreover, I am just disappointed with the some of the broadcasters and newspapers because it was a good news story for the club.

"I had managed to win manager of the month and Lukas had picked up young player and I understand we were very, very close to winning player of the month which would've been a fantastic coup for the club.

"Then all we read is stories aimed at upsetting the harmony after a simple question about improving the squad situation."

2. Log in to remove the advert

I thought Stokes was half a yard offside for the first, was right in line with it. That linesman didn't flag a couple of times when I thought other Hibees were offside, maybe sfa retribution for Mr. Gannon's heavy critique of officials? Motherwell do have some exceptional young players, that was obvious from watching some of their movement and passing. Hibs contained them tho.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernating View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Stokes was half a yard offside for the first, was right in line with it. That linesman didn't flag a couple of times when I thought other Hibees were offside, maybe sfa retribution for Mr. Gannon's heavy critique of officials? Motherwell do have some exceptional young players, that was obvious from watching some of their movement and passing. Hibs contained them tho.
    I was in line with it as well and he was onside. I half expected the linesman to raise his flag but he did his job well in that instance.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Don't really see what's 'classless' about not speaking directly to the press. They have their own agenda and there is no way Jim Gannon will have anything in his contract obliging him to speak to BBC Scotland, so why should he waste time trying to make life easier for the likes of Chick Young if he doesn't want to? If fans really want to know his thoughts they can buy the programme or check out the club's website - no spin attached to either. If he's a proper grievance then fair enough. I've worked in the media long enough to know certain people are treated more fairly than others and some are set up big time. Press conferences featuring Jim Duffy spring to mind...

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys89 View Post
    http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=168379

to summarise the guy said sit down you fanny, and Gannon didnt like it one bit so notified the 4th official...
    A police officer then came and spoke to a couple of fans near the dugout - he was laughing and you could tell he (and the stewards) shared the fans' view of Gannon. Lots of banter after that: "Gannon - be a man" etc. Best was "Gannon - you're a front bottom!".

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Yes, Gannon impresses me highly as a class act. He's been great for the Scottish game.
    class act???

he spat the dummy out and refused to speak to the media and instructed his players to do the same, AGAIN!!!

As a manager you are epected to do an after match interview and by refusing to do so he is sticking his fingers up to his own fans, win, lose or draw Yogi will do his interview with honesty and integrity and that in my opionion is what a class act is!!!

Hibs outclassed motherwell and he should be big enough to face the media and admit they were crap and go twhat they deserved rather than hiding like a spoilt brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Don't really see what's 'classless' about not speaking directly to the press. They have their own agenda and there is no way Jim Gannon will have anything in his contract obliging him to speak to BBC Scotland, so why should he waste time trying to make life easier for the likes of Chick Young if he doesn't want to? If fans really want to know his thoughts they can buy the programme or check out the club's website - no spin attached to either. If he's a proper grievance then fair enough. I've worked in the media long enough to know certain people are treated more fairly than others and some are set up big time. Press conferences featuring Jim Duffy spring to mind...
    Yes, I don't see why any manager or player speaks to them. They are either irredeemably bland or just stirring it to try and generate a story. I'd rather we told them all to GTF and spoke to club TV/websites only. They have an overinflated opinion of their own role in proceedings, something few fans share. We have our own media now, and we don't need those parasites, particularly the moribund print media. The reporter in the Herald today wasted half of his copy of the match report, pretending not to be hurt and denigrating Gannon for not speaking to him. Who TF cares?

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by I Love Lamp View Post
    .....Meanwhile, they console Walter and bring him some cocoa when things go badly for Rangers. ......
    Maybe this interview explains why they are nice to Walter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG27qGTMXa4

Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    class act???

he spat the dummy out and refused to speak to the media and instructed his players to do the same, AGAIN!!!

As a manager you are epected to do an after match interview and by refusing to do so he is sticking his fingers up to his own fans, win, lose or draw Yogi will do his interview with honesty and integrity and that in my opionion is what a class act is!!!

Hibs outclassed motherwell and he should be big enough to face the media and admit they were crap and go twhat they deserved rather than hiding like a spoilt brat.
    I don't believe for one minute that Gannon's no-show on Saturday had anything to do with 'Well's defeat.

More likely that having endured a week of being headlined in the media due to his views on the quality of refereeing in the SPL, he was not going to be drawn on the subject again after a match in which he might have felt his team deserved a penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hainan Hibs View Post
    Hasn't Gannon got a problem with the media? Remember reading that basically he thinks they are a bunch of ******s and can't be bothered with them.
    When he was at Stockport he refused to speak to Sky Sports because Sky were slow to send someone around to fix his satellite dish.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    I don't believe for one minute that Gannon's no-show on Saturday had anything to do with 'Well's defeat.

More likely that having endured a week of being headlined in the media due to his views on the quality of refereeing in the SPL, he was not going to be drawn on the subject again after a match in which he might have felt his team deserved a penalty.
    He was happy to use the media to have a go at the referee. Publicity when he wants it but at a time and place of his choosing? Naw, choose another career if that's what you want.

He should at least have sent a player out to discuss the real event - the game.

As noted above regardless of what is thrown at Hughes during the week or what happens on the pitch I'm sure he knows its his job to go out and talk to the press, even if it is to tell them what he thinks of them.

Just refusing to speak is childish really. I wonder how long Motherwell would last without TV or any other type of media coverage and how long Gannon would be employed?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    He was happy to use the media to have a go at the referee. Publicity when he wants it but at a time and place of his choosing? Naw, choose another career if that's what you want.

As noted above regardless of what is thrown at Hughes during the week or what happens on the pitch I'm sure he knows its his job to go out and talk to the press, even if it is to tell them what he thinks of them.

Just refusing to speak is childish really. I wonder how long Motherwell would last without TV or any other type of media coverage and how long Gannon would be employed?
    We might all agree with his views on the officials, but does he really think taking a vow of silence will change anything? All he is doing is giving the media more ammunition to berate him, and even his own fans wont put up with it long. They want to know from the people in charge of their club, their views on how thing went each and every week. Maybe he could get molehill avenue to do his press for him, assuming they are different people.

First Team Breakthrough I Love Lamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crabit View Post
    Maybe this interview explains why they are nice to Walter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG27qGTMXa4
    Exactly but it is not telling that the fuss is fairly limited. Can you imagine the furore if Walter had given such a reaction towards a journalist whilst he was still at Everton? Arsene Wenger let one expletive slip and was pilloried for it in the press.

I think if he had done that down South, the journalist would simply have terminated the interview and the press would've torn him to shreds or at least been more combative in response (a la those on the end of Joe Kinnear's rant). Here Walter got away with it because, without the cooperation of Rangers, a journalist is hamstrung.

I'm not going to say there's any more sinister reason behind it than the sheer size and influence of Glasgow Rangers (the big fish in the small pond effect), although some might point to the hostile treatment of successive Celtic managers by comparison to suggest that there are darker motives in motion, but it is undeniable that the press in Scotland has its favourites and doesn't mind making it quite clear who they are.

Possibly.

Just refusing to speak is childish really.
    The accusation of childishness would be better directed at the majority of our football journalists up here.

All Gannon has done is to deny them for a while of the oxygen they feel they need to pursue their so-called 'profession'.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    All he is doing is giving the media more ammunition to berate him, and even his own fans wont put up with it long. They want to know from the people in charge of their club, their views on how thing went each and every week.
    I try to listen to the comments of the Hibs manager after every Hibs match.

I reckon that at least half of those interviews that I have heard (or subsequently read) have added nothing to my understanding of how the match went or to the current events / developments at the club. As an example, Mixu's reign was very poor for post-match comment.

Most managers are forced to give pretty stock answers to the standard questions that are rolled out time after time; many deliberately keep their cards close to their chest knowing the media for what it is.

It is surely going a bit far then to suggest that Gannon's silence on Saturday somehow deprived the Motherwell fans either of an exclusive or two or some fascinating insights into his game-plan and tactics and where they went wrong?

In any case I doubt that his silence will continue and he'll be back with the usual management spiel come 14.45hrs on Saturday after his team's fixture with Celtic. (Mmmm... match against the OF this week. Possibly another reason for keeping quite last Saturday.)

Quote Originally Posted by BEEJ View Post
    Possibly.

The accusation of childishness would be better directed at the majority of our football journalists up here.

All Gannon has done is to deny them for a while of the oxygen they feel they need to pursue their so-called 'profession'.

I try to listen to the comments of the Hibs manager after every Hibs match.

I reckon that at least half of those interviews that I have heard (or subsequently read) have added nothing to my understanding of how the match went or to the current events / developments at the club.

What about the other half

As an example, Mixu's reign was very poor for post-match comment.

Most managers are forced to give pretty stock answers to the standard questions that are rolled out time after time; many deliberately keep their cards close to their chest knowing the media for what it is.
    Perhaps, but maybe its only me, but when i'm travelling home from the games, we are all talking about what happened, and what should have happened, but as soon as Yogi comes on and gives his views, the car is silent. This will be the same for motherwell fans, they deserve to hear from their manager.
    It is surely going a bit far then to suggest that Gannon's silence on Saturday somehow deprived the Motherwell fans either of an exclusive or two or some fascinating insights into his game-plan and tactics and where they went wrong?
    Again perhaps, but surely they deserve something?

In any case I doubt that his silence will continue and he'll be back with the usual management spiel come 14.45hrs on Saturday after his team's fixture with Celtic. (Mmmm... match against the OF this week. Possibly another reason for keeping quite last Saturday.)
    I have no idea if he will remain silent this Saturday or not, but again imho if he does, he's being very childish the longer it does.

Coaching Staff
    It seems his complaints were with the referee. If so I can't recall any real issues on the day and his actions were just as patehetic as I thought at the time.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    It seems his complaints were with the referee. If so I can't recall any real issues on the day and his actions were just as patehetic as I thought at the time.

The referee wasn't great but the only big decision I thought he got wrong was booking their boy for a dive.

Stokes was 100% definitely onside for his goal, and I can't think of a tackle from a Hibs player that warranted a booking that wasn't given.

Even if 'Well had got and scored their penalty, I think we were so much better than them it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_fairnie View Post

The referee wasn't great but the only big decision I thought he got wrong was booking their boy for a dive.

Stokes was 100% definitely onside for his goal, and I can't think of a tackle from a Hibs player that warranted a booking that wasn't given.

Even if 'Well had got and scored their penalty, I think we were so much better than them it wouldn't have mattered anyway.
    It would have made me feel better though, i had 2-1 in the prediction league. Maybe he's got previous for taking the huff, i dont know, i'm just sssssooooo happy we got Yogi, rather than grumpy baws.