hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Regular

who has the best fans in scottish football?

funny to see now the dwindling crowds at ibrox and celtic park due to the old firms recent poor results, shows their fans to be right glory hunting bar stewards.....but we knew that anyway didnt we. also nice to see rising attendances at ER again after they dwindled during mixus campaign(cant really blame some people when we were used to the football under JC and TM). hearts with dwindling support as well. who do you reckon has the most consistent and loyal supporters in scottish football, who is the real "thick and thin" mob, who makes the most noise at games... i really dont know how to call it...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Minder's Avatar
    East Stirling, Arbroath, Queens Park etc. True Supporters. Nae Politics, snobbery or glory.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    East Stirling, Arbroath, Queens Park etc. True Supporters. Nae Politics, snobbery or glory.
    yeah i though there would be a lot of lower league teams being mentioned here, you do really have to take your hats of to these people

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Forfar, East Stirlingshire, Berwick Rangers, Ross County etc?

These guys travel the width and breadth of the country and it's irrespective of whether or not they're winning, losing or conceding goals left, right and centre.

They watch their teams, ritualistically, without any real concern about how much money, how many trophies or who has the best this, that and the next thing.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Agreed.

They are the real deal.

Got to be East Stirlingshire fans after that period of seasons when they couldn't buy a point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    Forfar, East Stirlingshire, Berwick Rangers, Ross County etc?

These guys travel the width and breadth of the country and it's irrespective of whether or not they're winning, losing or conceding goals left, right and centre.

They watch their teams, ritualistically, without any real concern about how much money, how many trophies or who has the best this, that and the next thing.
    True, although I knew an East Stirlingshire fan and in the same way that Old Firm fans lord it up over everyone because of their (once) superior squads, this guy actually had quite a smug attitude about supporting such a gash team. As far as he was concerned he was what football was about, and even if you watched Hibs home and away you could never match his commitment to the game. Not all lower league fans are like this, but some are I'm afraid.

In the SPL all I can say is it definitely isn't us, win a game and we have 3000 away fans next week, lose and it's only 1000. Our away support at St Mirren was typical Hibs, fair play to anyone who went but it was a smaller crowd than a team in our position should bring, all because of massive hurdles in the way like "it was raining" or "I didn't know if it was all ticket or not".

Don't know about lower league but in the SPL the best fans as a whole would be the usual bottom six sides, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Hamilton, Falkirk and St Johnstone. Their supports just don't seem to go up or down at all, any gloryhunters gave up years ago. These teams seem to get the same crowds if they're in 3rd or 12th, so even though the numbers are ***** fair play to anyone who follows them regularly.

I work in the Weege and have a couple of Jag supporting colleagues.
    They could have taken the easy route and followed a team according to their religion/s, but fair play to them. For some reason they both hate the Hertz.

East Stirling, Arbroath etc etc, *** nonsense. How does it make them the best fans just because they follow their local team like I do, like Rangers fans do, like Celtic fans do, like Hearts fans do, like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd, and fans all over the globe do.

A Hibs fan goes to every game including away trips, so does a Queens Park fan, yet the Queens fan is a bigger fan, more dedicated yadda yadda just because his local team is a diddy club? Bollocks.

There's such just thing as one set of best fans, every fan up and down Scotland and the UK who goes week in week out gets my respect, regardless of whom they support.

Generally best away support for noise, numbers. Just now, Celtic. Best home support for noise..? Honestly can't say there is one, they are all pesh? Dundee Utd maybe..?

The rest though, nah, not having it.

Last season Ross County had an average attendance of 2,164. The population of Dingwall is only 5,000. They must have the largest support (per head of population) of any club in the UK.
    As for best fans? No idea, never seen them.

Don't know much about lower leauge fans but aberdeen fans were realy good at easter road this season.

Quote Originally Posted by country hibby View Post
    Last season Ross County had an average attendance of 2,164. The population of Dingwall is only 5,000. They must have the largest support (per head of population) of any club in the UK.
    That is quite a statistic. Around 40% or so !

Who actually cares? I support the Hibees and care not a jot what other fans think of it. So why should I care the other way.

@hibs.net private member
    I would say the true supporter is the one who lives breathes and ****s their team irrespective of what team it is.

I'm working at the moment 3000 miles (Give or take the odd 500 miles) from Easter Road and I love Hibs Like only a fan (that isn't a glory hunter) can understand. This makes me no more special than someone 2 miles from Easter Road and on the other hand does it make him more of a supporter because he can go to all the games and unfortunately I cannot.

I respect all genuine fans from all teams around the world and would say to each and everyone of you, God bless Edinburgh Hibernian Football Club and ALL WHO SUPPORT HER.

Next pint I have, i'll have it in the name of true supporters world wide.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Antifa Hibs View Post
    East Stirling, Arbroath etc etc, *** nonsense. How does it make them the best fans just because they follow their local team like I do, like Rangers fans do, like Celtic fans do, like Hearts fans do, like Aberdeen and Dundee Utd, and fans all over the globe do.

A Hibs fan goes to every game including away trips, so does a Queens Park fan, yet the Queens fan is a bigger fan, more dedicated yadda yadda just because his local team is a diddy club? Bollocks.

There's such just thing as one set of best fans, every fan up and down Scotland and the UK who goes week in week out gets my respect, regardless of whom they support.

Generally best away support for noise, numbers. Just now, Celtic. Best home support for noise..? Honestly can't say there is one, they are all pesh? Dundee Utd maybe..?

It's maybe just because it's so early in the morning, but could you please point me in the direction of the post which suggests these fans are the best in Scotland due to supporting their local clubs? I see plenty of arguments in support of following a pish team, or travelling vast distances, but nothing about locality.

With Scotland being so small, and their being too many clubs in "professional" leagues, the "local" argument isn't valid, I agree.

Rory: I know a few "lower league" fans who fit that description - it is indeed the other side of the coin!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee-shtuggie View Post
    funny to see now the dwindling crowds at ibrox and celtic park due to the old firms recent poor results, shows their fans to be right glory hunting bar stewards.....but we knew that anyway didnt we. also nice to see rising attendances at ER again after they dwindled during mixus campaign(cant really blame some people when we were used to the football under JC and TM). hearts with dwindling support as well. who do you reckon has the most consistent and loyal supporters in scottish football, who is the real "thick and thin" mob, who makes the most noise at games... i really dont know how to call it...
    I'd just like to pick you up on that Glory Hunting point if I may.

In 1997, Rangers won 9 leagues in a row and also spent a fortune on Gattuso, Porinni, Negri, Thern, Amoruso and were being lauded from teh highest heavens. They were full of their pomp.

Celtic, meantime, saw Paul McStay retire through injury, had no manager, had an unpopular chief exec in Jock Brown, had sold their best players in Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio and Cadte. It looked bleak, however...we still sodl all our season tickets. We also chipped into the most successful club share issue ever.

Of course Celtic have glory hunters in the support - I know ppemnty of them, but to say we are unique in that respect is pretty wide of the mark.

EVERY club has its glory hunters, none more so than some of the clubs you mention as you only have to look at the scramble for tickets when they get to a cup final.

I'll also not go into the Hibs turn out at your Semi final against Hearts.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRegan View Post
    What was it?

How many do Celtic take to semi finals? Never sell out Hampden as far as I remember (unless against Rangers of course) and interestingly always want more than 1/2 for the final. How does that work?
    Last edited by Danderhall Hibs; 03-12-2009 at 07:47 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I'd just like to pick you up on that Glory Hunting point if I may.

In 1997, Rangers won 9 leagues in a row and also spent a fortune on Gattuso, Porinni, Negri, Thern, Amoruso and were being lauded from teh highest heavens. They were full of their pomp.

Celtic, meantime, saw Paul McStay retire through injury, had no manager, had an unpopular chief exec in Jock Brown, had sold their best players in Van Hooijdonk, Di Canio and Cadte. It looked bleak, however...we still sodl all our season tickets. We also chipped into the most successful club share issue ever.

Of course Celtic have glory hunters in the support - I know ppemnty of them, but to say we are unique in that respect is pretty wide of the mark.

EVERY club has its glory hunters, none more so than some of the clubs you mention as you only have to look at the scramble for tickets when they get to a cup final.

You are right Jack I would say that all clubs have their Glory hunters, what I think has the support of other clubs scratching their head is the tag that Celtic fans get as "the greatest fans in the world".

Now I am not saying you have stated that but for me your support is no better than any other team, the % of seats empty when not doing so well or the game is deemed not important should never be case for that sort of tag to even be used.

Now you said above about how you sold all those players etc however your season tickets were sold still on the basis of finishing up there and winning some cups.

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc

Hibernian Football Club

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by country hibby View Post

what about Burnley? they cant be far off!?
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    You are right Jack I would say that all clubs have their Glory hunters, what I think has the support of other clubs scratching their head is the tag that Celtic fans get as "the greatest fans in the world".

Now I am not saying you have stated that but for me your support is no better than any other team, the % of seats empty when not doing so well or the game is deemed not important should never be case for that sort of tag to even be used.

Now you said above about how you sold all those players etc however your season tickets were sold still on the basis of finishing up there and winning some cups.
    Idon't know any Celtic fan who really belives that, but how I think it grew arms and legs was the fact that after seville, both UEFA and FIFA gave the celtic Support a "Fair Play" award.

This has led IMO to a morbid like fascination among some as to the size of the Celtic support - for instance, we have a 20 odd post thread on here on the size of our support at the game last night!!! its not the first either.

I remember an idiot St Mirren fan saying to me after we played Bayern in Munich in Sept 2003 "Aye ah see yir GFITW couldnae see oot yer allocation fir Munich"

We sent back 5,000 of a 20,000 allocation.

Gamer IDs

I cant say ive ever seen a semi (unless against the huns) that Celtic have sold out thier allocation.

Look at the semi vs D Utd a couple of years ago!?
    Hibernian Football Club

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    This has led IMO to a morbid like fascination among some as to the size of the Celtic support - for instance, we have a 20 odd post thread on here on the size of our support at the game last night!!! its not the first either.
    change the record.....or better yet stop hanging around on the messageboards of other teams thinking we give a flying one about Septic, you or your opinions

Left by mutual consent!
    Idon't know any Celtic fan who really belives that, but how I think it grew arms and legs was the fact that after seville, both UEFA and FIFA gave the celtic Support a "Fair Play" award.

I remember an idiot St Mirren fan saying to me after we played Bayern in Munich in Sept 2003 "Aye ah see yir GFITW couldnae see oot yer allocation fir Munich"

We sent back 5,000 of a 20,000 allocation.
    A fair few of your fans believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_1875 View Post
    I cant say ive ever seen a semi (unless against the huns) that Celtic have sold out thier allocation.

Look at the semi vs D Utd a couple of years ago!?
    Sorry but it was agianst your biggest rivals, with a chance of getting to a final of a cup you've not won since Buffalo Bill was alive, against a team you had a chance of beating.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsberg View Post
    A fair few of your fans believe it.
    Your probably right, funnily enough its the once a season brigade who do though.

@hibs.net private member
    Sorry but it was agianst your biggest rivals, with a chance of getting to a final of a cup you've not won since Buffalo Bill was alive, against a team you had a chance of beating.
    No we didn’t - did you see the team we put out?!

That and the turnout at the semi final replay v Dunfermline were a poor show but it is the opposite of glory-hunting though so kind of defeats the purpose of this discussion.

Still, when was the last time Celtic sold their allocation for a non-OF semi final?

Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    No we didn’t - did you see the team we put out?!

That and the turnout at the semi final replay v Dunfermline were a poor show but it is the opposite of glory-hunting though so kind of defeats the purpose of this discussion.

Still, when was the last time Celtic sold their allocation for a non-OF semi final?
    Think it was the friday night 0-0 game with yourselves in 1995.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasHibby View Post
    That is quite a statistic. Around 40% or so !
    Absolutely - even if you only allowed Hibs 33% of the Edinburgh market we could be selling out Murrayfield every other week with that sort of local backing!

To the residents of Dingwall for backing their local side in such numbers.

Coaching Staff

Yep, agree, no club is any better than any other in that regard. we all have die-hard fans. Some are just bigger than others but that's it.