hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheeky oirish

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Post cheeky oirish

requesting a place at the WC finals next year

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/8386207.stm

maybe we should ask for a place as well we could say we weren't happy with burley and could we play the group games again

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    FFS are they still bleating about this?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I felt sorry for them at the time, they're taking the proverbial now though.

They got cheated. Simple.

We got cheated against Italy when instead of us getting the ball and getting what we needed, THEY cheated us out a free-kick, scored and ****ed up our campaign.

We get on with it. The Irish are starting to sound decidely like England did when auld Diego Armando skelped the ball in the net....FFS, ye's lost....

ENDOF

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    imagine it was scotland that it happened too.... im sure we'd all be the same.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    FFS are they still bleating about this?

i'm more surprised at the fact blatter is even considering taking it to the committee
    "I will bring it to the attention of the Executive Committee," said Blatter.

Regarding the Republic's case, the president added that Costa Rica, who also believe they were unfairly denied a place in the finals - this time because of an offside goal from Uruguay - would also have to be acknowledged if extra places are discussed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    i'm more surprised at the fact blatter is even considering taking it to the committee
    "I will bring it to the attention of the Executive Committee," said Blatter.

Regarding the Republic's case, the president added that Costa Rica, who also believe they were unfairly denied a place in the finals - this time because of an offside goal from Uruguay - would also have to be acknowledged if extra places are discussed.
    That's just so they can have a laugh at the Board meeting. It'll be dealt with at the end under AOB (not Alan O'Brien).

Ireland - yes, you got cheated, it was blatant but the only difference between that and the numerous other times it happens to the rest of us, was the cameras caught it so well. Get over yourselves and move on.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    embarrassing
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I was supporting ROI on the night and was understandably gutted but for pity's sake. A 33 team world cup? Is one group just going to have 5 teams instead of 4? Or will they invite the CR's along as well and have 4.25 teams in each group?

It'll never happen. Much as I'd love to support ROI in the world cup, I can't see how they're going to get in.

Madness.

Coaching Staff

Fifa's Sepp Blatter has revealed the Republic of Ireland have requested a spot in the 2010 World Cup finals as an extra team after their play-off defeat.

maybe we should ask for a place as well we could say we weren't happy with burley and could we play the group games again
    You would think they were in the world cup before the handball - they weren't - they were level and still had the game to win somehow.

The fact is, at no point during the France game, (or the entire campaign for that matter) were Ireland ever in a position where they were going to qualify.

They didn't have guaranteed qualification taken away from them, they were only cheated out of a chance to qualify. Just like Scotland in the dying moments of the Italy game.

Get over it.

If this came to pass, and I know club sides aren't admitted, but wouldn't there be a strong case for Hearts coming in, on the basis of their two world war victories?

I felt really sorry for them at the time, they deserved to beat France in Paris and although it was never going to happen, I think FIFA should have ordered a replay.

They ruled that out though and as sickening as it obviously is, the Irish just have to move on now and take out their frustrations on the teams that are in their Euro 2012 qualifying group and make sure they qualify for that.

They won't be going to South Africa, they just have to accept it.

Asking for an extra place at the World Cup is just ridiculous.

@hibs.net private member rubber mal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Austin View Post
    The fact is, at no point during the France game, (or the entire campaign for that matter) were Ireland ever in a position where they were going to qualify.

They didn't have guaranteed qualification taken away from them, they were only cheated out of a chance to qualify. Just like Scotland in the dying moments of the Italy game.

Get over it.
    Absolutely spot on. They're just making fools of themselves now.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    If this came to pass, and I know club sides aren't admitted, but wouldn't there be a strong case for Hearts coming in, on the basis of their two world war victories?
    Are Hertz still officially that though? Wasn't mere 'football club' status a thing they left behind along with Hubz as genuine rivals, etc etc etc?

33 countries in the groups, then 34 if Costa Rica are included, then every country that didn’t qualify goes through every second of recorded play in their qualifying matches and appeals against something dodgy.

They'd be as well starting qualifying again – with video evidence!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Pretty embarrassing. Cheating happens all the time. Might not like it but you just have to move on. As said before they still had to actually score to win the tie...

Even before the handball the match was at stalemate. There's no way that FIFA will consider the Irish request. One for the shredder.

However if a miracle is performed and the Irish are invited to South Africa then Scotland only have to whisper Caldwell (twice) in Blatter's ear for us to take 34th spot.

Maybe Petrie could take up the Hibs cause.

Left by mutual consent! God Petrie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    They got cheated. Simple.

We got cheated against Italy when instead of us getting the ball and getting what we needed, THEY cheated us out a free-kick, scored and ****ed up our campaign.

We get on with it. The Irish are starting to sound decidely like England did when auld Diego Armando skelped the ball in the net....FFS, ye's lost....

ENDOF
    Scotland should have played better away against Georgia but we bottled it. Ireland should have played better at home against France and they would have went through.

This constant whinging about the handball decision is pathetic and displays a complete lack of maturity and class.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by dryan View Post
    Scotland should have played better away against Georgia but we bottled it. Ireland should have played better at home against France and they would have went through.

This constant whinging about the handball decision is pathetic and displays a complete lack of maturity and class.
    I disagree. Whilst I agree with others that this isn't going to go anywhere at least they are trying to stand up for themselves and put this to FIFA rather than sitting back and letting them **** over the smaller nations for the sake of sponsors and their own self interest.

The Irish may not have a valid reason as explained already, they weren't in a winning position and the rules state that games cannot be replayed. I still think they should keep it in the public eye and not let it be swept under the carpet.

Action like this will force change, or at least get people thinking, it may lead to better refs, video technology etc etc.

They way in which FIFA changed the goal posts on seeding was a disgrace and should have been challenged more robustly. Seeding does have it's benefits as it usually ensures the strongest teams are kept in the tournament but IMO it is in place to keep the most wealthy clubs/countries in the tournament.

I think it was stated that France would generate around 1 billion quid for their economy through qualifying. I'm sure Platini would have been aware of this.

A slight, possible major tangent, but ironcially the Irish were practically forced to sign the EU constitution 2nd time round for economic reasons. This would have helped their country a lot had they qualified.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Not really embarassing .. I think theyv got the right to complain and find any way in to be honest.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar Hibee View Post
    Not really embarassing .. I think theyv got the right to complain and find any way in to be honest.
    And, if they were successful, Georgia would then have a right to request na review of the highly dubious penalty given against them in the qualifiers..... against Ireland.

Slippery slope.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Think their only realistic argument is for the use of video technology in future.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's embarrassing.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster18 View Post
    That's embarrassing.
    Not really.

First Team Breakthrough hibztilltheend's Avatar
    its iwelumos fault we're not going

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Is it too late for Scotland to be team 35?

I am sure we can come up with some lame excuse.

Lets spoil the whole competition because a couple of teams feel hard done by.

If you recall that FIFA is a body which expected a side to play in a stadium recently converted from an execution camp then they are unlikely to bend for the Irish.

Honestly guys, you are embarrassing yourselves. Let it be.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibztilltheend View Post
    its iwelumos fault we're not going
    Behave.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Think their only realistic argument is for the use of video technology in future.
    Its just been announced that video evidence will be used in future, Ron Jeremy is now joint top with Frank McAvennie in the scoring charts.