hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

Were you brought up as a Hibs fan?

How many on here were born into Hibs supporting families? I'd imagine the majority of our support were, but there must be a fair number who came to the club in other ways. A couple of my mates are from long-standing Hearts-supporting families, but saw the light early and choose the one true path. Not sure how I'd feel if my kids decided to support Hearts! Fortunately they seem pretty well cemented in the Hibs way.

Away from the family influence, how many of us were introduced to Hibs through friends? Any other ways in which folk have come to be Hibs fans?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many on here were born into Hibs supporting families? I'd imagine the majority of our support were, but there must be a fair number who came to the club in other ways. A couple of my mates are from long-standing Hearts-supporting families, but saw the light early and choose the one true path. Not sure how I'd feel if my kids decided to support Hearts! Fortunately they seem pretty well cemented in the Hibs way.

Away from the family influence, how many of us were introduced to Hibs through friends? Any other ways in which folk have come to be Hibs fans?

nope..used to watch Raith Rovers until about 16 (come from fife origionaly) Went to a couple of Hearts and Hibs matches in the early 80's (after moving to Edinburgh at age 13) and of course made the correct choice

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    My mum got me rangers tops when i was little but my sister married a Hibs fan and he took me to my 1st game when i was like 13. Was never into football growing up. then this game changed me

It was the semi vs Livi we won 3 nil and i have had a season ticket ever since. Am more into football now than anything else. Funny how things change

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

Were you brought up as a Hibs fan?

Yes.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Nope, started to get into Hibs after they came to Somerset Park and won en route to the Skol Cup in 1991.

As an aside, can you imagine ANYONE actively CHOOSING to support Hearts these days unless they were born into it?! They just ain't a proper football club any more. No soul, no nothing. The fans they do have must only go along because they haven't yet worked out a way to fill the void left by what was once a proper football club. A w**k club but a football club nonetheless.

Apparently one of my first ever words was "Hibees".

So that'll be a yes for me then!

I'm only a second generation Hibs fan, though, and only three people in my family actually support Hibs.

The rest of my close family don't really have a team, they take an interest in the Hibs results but they don't support them.

Quite a few of my distant relatives are Rangers fans, although I'm not sure if they actually go to see them.

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar

Were you brought up a Hibs fan ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    How many on here were born into Hibs supporting families?
    Yes , i was , although my dad made his own choice having went to ER one week and Crimecastle the next .
    Easy choice for him really

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    I wasn't into sports at a young age as I was perfectly happy with reading books and my Dad worked offshore and wasn't a big fan so even when he was at home I didn't encounter sports.

When I reached the age of about 7 most of the boys in the year started playing for Longniddry Villa and my Mum decided that it would be a good idea if I was to play as well as it might help me make some friends. This didn't work as I have absolutely no natural talent whatsoever in regard to any sport but it was how I discovered such a mesmerising game.

So I eased myself into football with Manchester United. My Mum had my two younger sisters to take care of and my Dad was offshore half the time so Man Utd was the choice because it was easy. Loads of books available on them, a monthly video review, a monthly magazine in the shops, kits in all the sports shops - it was the convenient choice. So I studied the books I was given, including one on the complete history of Manchester United, starting way back when they were Newton Heath. It contained a list of every player to play for the club and I'm confident that I could have got a perfect Mastermind score aged 9 with the subject being 'The History of Manchester United Players.' It really was an obsession and that got me sunk right into the sport.

However I realised that this was an untenable position. Manchester United was certainly an interest but true football fans went to the games and this wasn't possible with Man Utd. So in my mind, the choice was clear. I had to support Hibernian or Heart of Midlothian. Although not a big football fan, my Grandad was a Hearts man so I assumed that would be the team for me but there was just something about them that didn't seem right.

The final decider of which team I was to support for the rest of my life came at my 9th birthday party at Megabowl at Kinnaird Park. My Mum didn't know whether to get me a Hibs or Hearts birthday cake so she took a punt. Thankfully I saw the beer bottle badge on my cake that day.

I couldn't really get properly into Hibs because I could only attend matches sporadically due to my Dad's rotas, and it was a twist of luck that resulted in my whole family now being Hibees. My Gran jokingly offered to take me to a match - I didn't realise the joke and took her up on the offer. Credit to her she followed through with it and we went to a fantastic game of football. We both got in free as she was disabled and I counted as her carer, it was perfect. So at the grand old age of 58 she went to her first Hibs game and the number she has missed since, you could count on one hand.

As a result my Dad got a season ticket with us that he uses when he's onshore and my uncle uses at other times, and as I'm now up in Aberdeen my two sisters are in on the act using my ticket when I can't go and even my previously Jambo Grandad has caught the bug and sneaks along whenever he can.

I couldn't imagine it any other way!
    Last edited by Calvin; 26-11-2009 at 06:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Yeah. Although I used to wind my dad up by name dropping Rangers every now and then, and being the diplomatic wee soul I was (aged about, 17-18 well, 4-5), the correct answer to 'what football team do you support?' was always Celtic, Aberdeen, and Hibs!

In all seriousness though, my first game was against Killie in Tommy Burns' last game and there was only ever one team for me after that!

was never really into football. my son came home from school one day and told me he was a hibs supporter. as u do, i started taking him to the games. this was the year we got relegated. never looked back. see u all on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent!
    I live with my mum, gran and granda. My granda brought me up to support Hibs. My mum supported Rangers when she was wee but doesn't have any interest in football now.

I've got two aunts and 3 uncles. 2 uncles support Hearts, 1 supports Hibs. 1 aunt support Hibs and the other aunt doesn't support anyone.

Mine are pretty split down the middle. My first game was a 2-2 vs St Johnstone and I was in the FF right behind the goals. Think I was around 10.

Left by mutual consent! Dunbar Hibee's Avatar
    Yes, went to my first game when i was 2 weeks old

Yup, born and bred a Hibby. When I was a little one in the banana flats, when asked what team I support my answer was cibs. Obviously I don't remember saying this but I do have some very early pictures of me in my first full hibs strip with the 2 stripes down the shorts standing with one foot on what seemed like huge orange plastic football with the black panel outlines. Never knew anything else other than supporting them and always will.

nah,not really although my Da and his bros were Hibs fans in their early years none of them took me to games. an uncle frae the other side took me to tynie a couple o' times but much to my disgrace I liked the huns until I was 14.having never been to Glesga,never mind Ibrox,I went to ER wi' school mates .the next week I was at Dens Park cheering on the Hibees that was a while ago

Well, where do I start??? My old man is a Sellick armchair fan and put a Celtic top on me at about age 5. I am speaking the truth when I say it disgusted me and I hated wearing it(it was one of their away efforts....white with green pin stripes). At the same time I also got a Wolves top(they were in the old 4th div at the time). I loved the Wolves one as I thought it must be cool as it had the Wolves head on it. Got a bit of a slagging for having that but I didnt care! Always had a look for the Wolves results ever since although I have went off them a little due to the Brown Trout.

My first team I would say I was a "fan" of was Aberdeen who were along with the Hunnery the best team in Scotland. Never actually went to a game likes! So it was me just being a wee glory hunter and saying I "support" the best team. Easy to see how kids who's Dad's dont take them to see the local team will almost always end up supporting whatever they see on the back page of the Tabloid or on the TV.

Luckily for me I was taken along to ER one day and witnessed a drab bore score with Dundee. I think a near miss by Houchen was about the nearest to a goal it came. Didnt matter though, I had got bitten by the bug and have been going to ER ever since and am proud to call my self a Hibby.

Thankfully YES
    My Dad was the only Hibby in the Jambo infested family, even my brother is a Jambo.
    TBF the first game he took me to was Hearts v HUNS at Tynie, next was Motherwell at ER. He let me make my own mind up...nae choice really

First Team Breakthrough
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gary robertson
    all my familys hibbys apart from my fat ugly sister whos a hun!!!!!!
    she had a season ticket with me and my dad when she was younger tho.but she only went for the pies!!!!!

well when she turned 13 or sumit she went thru to the weeg and does actually go to games weekly and takes my niece now and again although the wee yin does prefer goin to see the cabbage coz of the pies and pizza

thankfully it's been hibs all the way for me my old man would have chucked me out if i came home saying i supported anyone else

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    I was born into a big hibs family and had the hibs influence upon me from day one. I was born in Perth and obviously have a wee look out for St Johnstone as they would be my "local team" when i was young lad.

My brother on the other hand was brought up where we stay now near gorgie, and a large contingent of his friends are Hearts fans and he has had a "hearts influence" over him throughout his youth despite the strong Hibs contingent in the family. He defected over, and oh what a wonderful household it is especially when we have weekends like the one just passed!
    Hibernian Football Club

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    [QUOTE=Alicky Ranks;2251802]Nope, started to get into Hibs after they came to Somerset Park and won en route to the Skol Cup in 1991.

As an aside, can you imagine ANYONE actively CHOOSING to support Hearts these days unless they were born into it?! They just ain't a proper football club any more. No soul, no nothing. The fans they do have must only go along because they haven't yet worked out a way to fill the void left by what was once a proper football club. A w**k club but a football club nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

No, I came from a family of 'Murrayfield Yams', very much Hawrts fans and church-going Tories, though they would always choose the Scotland game if it clashed with the rugby. As a result (I was always blessed with a contrary nature), I grew up detesting Hearts, rugby, Christianity and the Conservative Party in roughly equal measures.

My father refused to take me to ER, though I went to several derbies with him and my two older Yammish brothers as a small boy, including a certain New Years Day '73, when I followed them home giggling at their stunned silence.

I fortunately had a neighbour who was a Hibs fan, and systematically befriended the family till they started taking me to Hibs. I went to a very posh school and there was only one other Hibs fan there, and we started going together, then I drifted into an alternative Hibernian family over the years.

Sadly, my own children have grown up in/around London, and Arsenal is their first choice, but my bombarding them with Hibs stuff and dragging them along to ER has ensured that Hibs are up there in their affections, and they have a grim view of Hearts and the OF.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Don't think say. Father had no real interest in football and mum came from Hearts family. My uncle who married my mums sister lived in Albion Terrace and took me to the games in the late 70's.

Can't remember if I was Hibs inclined before that. Do remember though that Erich Shaedler lived below me for a spell and I remember meeting him in the stair and letting him know that I had a bubble gum card of him (well these things are allowed when you are 6/7).

My Grandad was a hibs fan my uncles are Hibs fans on my mums side On my Dads side its all Hearts including him. He use to take me when i was younger . Forunately for me my Uncle took me to Hibs games. I much preferred the green to the maroon and have never looked back.

Partick Thistle die hard till I was 15, the loneliness got too much for me

Blog Entries
    I'm fortunate enough to have Hibs connections from day one. My grandfather was born in same year as Hibs were founded, 1875 & was baptised by Cannon Hannan in St Pats church. I have my great grandparents' wedding certificate from 1873 signed by then Father Edward Hannan. I was born in St Mary's Street, 20 yards from where Hibs were formed so I guess my affiliations were pre-determined.
    I'm proud to say however that my son who has lived in England since his 3rd birthday continues the tradition & my daughter is determined that her English born 2 year old will also stay in the Hibs family.
    We've all suffered many heartaches along the way but my grandfather probably celebrated 2 Scottish Cup wins, my dad saw 3 league titles & the famous 5, I've seen 3 league cup wins & a certain 7-0 victory. Let's hope all future generations enjoy many more magic moments

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Never really showed an interest in sport at a young age to be honest.

My uncle tried to get me into Rangers when I was young, taking me to my first ever football game at Ibrox (Rangers vs Falkirk). I got the bug for a wee while, going to 2 or 3 games, but quickly grew disillusioned with them. My mate at primary school was a Hearts fan, as was his dad, and I recall that one Saturday, his dad took us both to Tynecastle for Hearts vs Dundee United - I quite enjoyed the experience, so returned a couple of times, but got a little fed up after a while.

My dad helped with the development of the new Almondvale Stadium, and befriended one of the chief executives of the new Livingston FC. Through this work, he was granted free season tickets for a long period, as a thank you gesture from the club. As such, I followed Livingston from the 3rd division (their first game) to the dizzy heights of 3rd in the SPL, Europe and CIS Cup Glory (sorry). As the owners changed hands though, politics started creeping into the club, and scandal became more prevelant than football.

As I moved away from West Lothian to begin my period as a student in Dundee, I actually ended up getting a season ticket at Tannadice - it was £80 for the year as a student and meant I got football every other week. I went along and enjoyed it, but never really got into the United thing. I started reading Heartfelt around the same time and a large group of us wondered if we could support another team for a period. We ended up chosing our new teams, and I elected for Hibs - I came along to my first game, just after Christmas, around 3/4 years ago, for a Scottish Cup tie vs Arbroath. The football was scintillating, and I enjoyed the atmosphere of the game, despite attending on my own! Been hooked ever since, though football is still not the major sport in my life!
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

First Team Breakthrough
    I liked football when I was younger and was, for my sins a Rangers Fan. Not supporter, because was never at any games.

However, when I met my husband and he took me to my first game at Easter Road which was the Hearts derby. I was hooked!
    Last edited by MM1973; 28-02-2011 at 11:15 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    I am third generation Hibs fan. My Granddad working on the railways in Leith Central station after the War. My dad and his four brothers are all Hibees, growing up in the Inch. Most of my cousins are Hibees. At some point or another my family have or still have five season ticket holders. However if you add up the Livi 2004 CIS Cup final Factor I would say that 12 of my family support Hibs. The only exception being my oldest Uncle who moved up to Aberdeen, his kids grew up with the dominating Aberdeen team of the 1980’s, so cant blame them for supporting their local (and good then) team). So a very Hibee family, my Dad moved down South to England in 1989 but every school holiday that we came back up to Edinburgh we (my brother and I) would be taken to ER to watch the Hibs. I have got more fervent as I have gotten older, regularly making trips up on my own, and making excuses why me and my Dad need to come up to Scotland. Have been to the Blackburn and Bolton games (being in England). Flew up for the Dundee Utd game, will be at ER on Saturday for the Falkirk game, and always come up on Boxing day to see the family and go to the game (on the Sunday this year Boo!).

The big question comes with my son. He is only one but being born down here I am all too aware of the draws of the Premier League, so when he is a little bit older I hope to take him to ER and give him the bug.

J

@hibs.net private member wazoo1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I'm fortunate enough to have Hibs connections from day one. My grandfather was born in same year as Hibs were founded, 1875 & was baptised by Cannon Hannan in St Pats church. I have my great grandparents' wedding certificate from 1873 signed by then Father Edward Hannan. I was born in St Mary's Street, 20 yards from where Hibs were formed so I guess my affiliations were pre-determined.
    I'm proud to say however that my son who has lived in England since his 3rd birthday continues the tradition & my daughter is determined that her English born 2 year old will also stay in the Hibs family.
    We've all suffered many heartaches along the way but my grandfather probably celebrated 2 Scottish Cup wins, my dad saw 3 league titles & the famous 5, I've seen 3 league cup wins & a certain 7-0 victory. Let's hope all future generations enjoy many more magic moments
    Thats quite a story brog

A Leither, Hibby born and bred. Thanks Dad.

It's funny how some others - not natural Hibbies like most of us - come into the family.

My young cousin was on a visit from Montrose. I took him to a game against Rangers. We got horsed 5-0, but he has been a Hibby ever since.

btw - for older members, the Rangers forward line that day was:

Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand and Wilson

.......not too shabby.

I've no dea what the Hibs forward line was, tho.