hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Faxed Back to Kaunas

What's the biggest Hibs win you've been at?

Spurs' 9-1 win got me thinking about how many really big scores Hibs have racked up. I've been at a few, especially in the Mowbray/Collins years (7-0 v Livvy, 6-0 v Gretna, 6-1 away at Motherwell) plus I recall watching us win 9-0 under Blobby against Montrose in the League Cup.

I also remember way back about 1982 when we beat Kilmarnock 8-1 at Easter Road. We were a pretty poor team, but things just clicked that day.

Of course there's also that game on 1/1/73 but sadly I was too wee to be taken along with my dad and uncles

2. Log in to remove the advert

The 9-0 vs Montrose was the biggest win I have seen.

7-0 vs Livingston was the biggest league win that I have been at.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Spurs' 9-1 win got me thinking about how many really big scores Hibs have racked up. I've been at a few, especially in the Mowbray/Collins years (7-0 v Livvy, 6-0 v Gretna, 6-1 away at Motherwell) plus I recall watching us win 9-0 under Blobby against Montrose in the League Cup.

I also remember way back about 1982 when we beat Kilmarnock 8-1 at Easter Road. We were a pretty poor team, but things just clicked that day.

Of course there's also that game on 1/1/73 but sadly I was too wee to be taken along with my dad and uncles

Was at that game, Dobbie had a good game that day

The 7-0 Livi game was the biggest one I was at. Sitting in the west stand and by the time we scored the 7th, I actually didn't want to clap, because I just felt sorry for them!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    7-0 Livi game.

We had to leave at 5-0 because my daft mate never wore anthing over his t-shirt and was freezing his balls off

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: shamo9
    9-0 against Montrose. I remember almost falling to a premature demise as Dobbie rudely opened his account in the first 30 seconds before I had even taken my seat.

I saw Hibs beat Hamilton 11-1 back in 1965. It was a very boring game as I recall but it's now a record I think.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I saw Hibs beat Hamilton 11-1 back in 1965. It was a very boring game as I recall
    And 11-2 v Alloa same year.

Testimonial Due
    8-1 v Killie. It was 1-1 at half time.

A few years later we put a barrowload past the Pars at ER but I can't remember how many - but again I think they were all scored in a short period of an otherwise uneventful game.

I saw Hibs beat Hamilton 11-1 back in 1965. It was a very boring game as I recall but it's now a record I think.
    It was the very first game I went to.

That was never bettered regarding the amount of goals, however scoring five against Celtic, at the time, seemed far more important than the seven we scored against Hearts, as that was just three months after we had frooze and lost six against them in the cup final, this was further vindicated by the league cup win. That same season we also scored 5 at Dundee Hibs & 6 at Airdrie, 6 against Sporting, 7 against Besa and 8 against Ally MacLeod's Ayr United.
    Last edited by Ray_; 23-11-2009 at 01:08 AM.

I was at that game

Couldny call it boring tho

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    beating FC Besa 7-1 in the cup winners cup 1972

also a league game in 1972 against ayr united 8-1 just a few weeks before THAT new years day game 7-0 at tincastle

also handed out a few heavy beatings to st.johnstone over the years including a 7-1 league game and a 9-2 league cup game(wasn't at that one tho )

then a 9-1 win over rosenborg in the 1974 uefa cup

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheBull1875
    Rosenborg and St Johnstone game are the first two that spring to mind. I still seem to recall Jimmy O'Rourke scored the first for the saintees. Also wish we had the Europen record of Rosenborg now, they seem to be in Champions League virtually every year.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    9-0 vs Montrose
    7-0 vs Livingston

Seem to remember a couple of 6-0 home wins against teams like Gretna and Elgin, or similar scorelines...

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    The 9-0 vs Montrose was the biggest win I have seen.

7-0 vs Livingston was the biggest league win that I have been at.
    Same

Can't think of any other huge wins...off the top of my head, 6-2 obviously and a couple of 5-1 wins v Raith and Partick Thistle.

Away from home...er, 3-0 v Rangers maybe?! Can't think of any really big away wins I have been at, and I've been to loads of away games over the years!

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    8-1 v Killie. It was 1-1 at half time.

A few years later we put a barrowload past the Pars at ER but I can't remember how many - but again I think they were all scored in a short period of an otherwise uneventful game.

Maybe my memory is going, but I was sure it was 2-1 to us at half time???

8-1 v Killie and 9-0 v Montrose are the two biggest wins I've seen.

I think my biggest away win was at Kilbowie in the cup where we won (IIRC) 5-1.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Hibs record win was against Peebles Rovers, in the SC, I thnk.

We won 15 - 1 and Joe Baker scored 9.

Unfortunately, that was in 1961 so I wasn't there.

Apart from Montrose 9 - 0, beating Rosenborg 9 - 1 is the biggest win I've personally witnessed. We were 3 - 2 up from the first leg and Rosenborg scored first. I remember they were right pleased about it too.

Little did they know.

Iirc, no-one got a hat-trick that day. Or was that FC Besa (7 - 1)
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

First Team Breakthrough NB Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Hibs record win was against Peebles Rovers, in the SC, I thnk.

The game was played at Love Street and we won 15 - 1. Joe Baker scored 9 and his brother Gerry bagged 4.

Unfortunately, that was in 1961 so I wasn't there.

Apart from Montrose 9 - 0, beating Rosenborg 9 - 1 is the biggest win I've personally witnessed. We were 3 - 2 up from the first leg and Rosenborg scored first. I remember they were right pleased about it too.

Little did they know.

Iirc, no-one got a hat-trick that day. Or was that FC Besa (7 - 1)

A bit of confusion here I think. Surely game was at ER and Joe and Gerry Baker didn't feature in the same Hibs team?
    GB had recently scored 9 or 10 against Glasgow Uni and Hibs fans were exhorting JB to go one better.
    Peebles goal was scored by (memory blank,but his nickname was Timber from his W. Lothian juvenile days with Livingston Station). Apologies if MY memories are wrong.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Hibby View Post
    A bit of confusion here I think. Surely game was at ER and Joe and Gerry Baker didn't feature in the same Hibs team?
    GB had recently scored 9 or 10 against Glasgow Uni and Hibs fans were exhorting JB to go one better.
    Peebles goal was scored by (memory blank,but his nickname was Timber from his W. Lothian juvenile days with Livingston Station). Apologies if MY memories are wrong.

Peebles Rovers goal was scored by a guy called McWilliams.

I dare say the game would have been a good bit tighter but Hibs were indeed fortunate in getting the home draw.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Hibby View Post
    You are right.

Joe scored 9 at ER. Gerry scored 4 for St Mirren in a 10 - 0 win at Love Street.

Post amended. Thanks.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I don't really like those one-sided games, but i'll never forget that seven goal derby thriller back in '73.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    8-1 Kille. Killie's goal came from a rare mistake by McNamara - he tripped over the ball when there was no danger, though he made up for it with a 30 yard screamer.

What made the whole thing even more surreal is that we were pretty mince at the time.

Biggest I've seen was Hibs winning 6-1 against Motherwell at Fir Park under Collins. Could have been more had we not passed up a good few chances.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    9-0 vs Montrose
    I remember coming out of that game feeling slightly cheated. They were just awful and Hibs stopped trying. It just became embarrassing in the end.

Having said that - could do with another similar result just to see if it was a one off.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    9-1 vs Rosenburg. Thier opener was a screamer, diect free kick bent the "wrong" way round the wall, as a previous poster stated they were well pleased with themselves. Iain Munro helping himself to two in the first half rederessing the balance.

Also at the Ayr game and seen a few 7's but was deemed too young to go to Tynie in 73 on my own

Never seen Hibs lose too badly till Barcelona last year.

I was at the 15-1 game against Peebles Rovers.
    I believe the lad that scored for Peebles had been on Hibs books at one time.
    Joe Baker's 9 goals in that game fell short of Gerry Baker's exploits in a previous round, when he scored 10 for St Mirren against Glasgow University.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    I was at the Livi game but missed out on the Montrose game grrr.
    I remember the 6-1 game V Motherwell.

What's our biggest win against Falkirk?

Whats the changes of a repeat at the weekend?

Blatent plug: And who are you taking along?

:notworthy:

Quote Originally Posted by mike_in_munich View Post
    I was at the 15-1 game against Peebles Rovers.
    I believe the lad that scored for Peebles had been on Hibs books at one time.
    Joe Baker's 9 goals in that game fell short of Gerry Baker's exploits in a previous round, when he scored 10 for St Mirren against Glasgow University.
    I've just checked and the Peebles player was Walter Mcwilliams, who Hibs had signed from Livingston. He left Hibs for Cowdenbeath, before signing for Peebles.

He played twice for Hibs, scoring once.

15–1 vs Peebles Rovers, 11 February 1961. Scottish Cup

Can't remember exactly how many Joe Baker scored - was it a triple hat trick?

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Was at the 8-1 Killie game, and also remember a 9-2 v St Johnstone