hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Collins declares interest in Scotland Position

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/8363594.stm

Interesting quotes from JC:

"As Graeme Souness said the other day, no-one is going to come in with a magic wand and turn us into a fantastic football team," said Collins, who won 58 caps.
    "There is a lot of work to be done and it will be one stage at a time.
    "The role of any manager in the world is to take a group of players and make them better, make them perform at their peak.
    "It's not always an easy thing to do but the objective is to make them better individually and collectively, make them harder to score against, more creative when they've got the ball."

And worrying ones from Jumbo Jim:

"The one thing I've always said with Scotland is, 'It's not how you play,'" he continued.
    "People travel and spend a lot of money to see the team get a result. Because they don't play every week, it doesn't matter how they play.
    "It's about qualifying and getting the points and not losing, because they've not got the same quality as a lot of the nations.

One seems to be wanting to move forward and the other making us hard to beat and a bit of "hoof" added.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Petrie's Tache View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

"As Graeme Souness said the other day, no-one is going to come in with a magic wand and turn us into a fantastic football team," said Collins, who won 58 caps.
    "There is a lot of work to be done and it will be one stage at a time.
    "The role of any manager in the world is to take a group of players and make them better, make them perform at their peak.
    "It's not always an easy thing to do but the objective is to make them better individually and collectively, make them harder to score against, more creative when they've got the ball."

"The one thing I've always said with Scotland is, 'It's not how you play,'" he continued.
    "People travel and spend a lot of money to see the team get a result. Because they don't play every week, it doesn't matter how they play.
    "It's about qualifying and getting the points and not losing, because they've not got the same quality as a lot of the nations.

One seems to be wanting to move forward and the other making us hard to beat and a bit of "hoof" added.
    One the Hibs way, one the Yams way

would appear so Sandy.

JC with Alex Miller as no 2 anybody

One is a seasoned campaigner who knows a thing or two about getting results from mediocre teams. The other a hopeless ideallist who failed to do (for whatever reasons) what he is preaching when he had the chance at club level.

Like it or not Jim Jeffries is the sane choice for the job out of those two.

Hopefully Levein takes the role.
    Last edited by Wilson; 17-11-2009 at 12:35 PM.

I think given the fact that Levien, Smith and McAllister are not quoted makes me think these are the main targets.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrie's Tache View Post

"As Graeme Souness said the other day, no-one is going to come in with a magic wand and turn us into a fantastic football team," said Collins, who won 58 caps. "There is a lot of work to be done and it will be one stage at a time. The role of any manager in the world is to take a group of players and make them better, make them perform at their peak. It's not always an easy thing to do but the objective is to make them better individually and collectively, make them harder to score against, more creative when they've got the ball."

"The one thing I've always said with Scotland is, 'It's not how you play,'" he continued. "People travel and spend a lot of money to see the team get a result. Because they don't play every week, it doesn't matter how they play. It's about qualifying and getting the points and not losing, because they've not got the same quality as a lot of the nations."

I hate to say it, mate, but with the players Scotland have right now, a fair degree of pragmatism - hard to beat, hit 'em on the break - may be the best way forward.

One of Burley's mistakes may well have been to move away from the pragmatic approach and try to be too fancy....

Csaba Laszlo is 12/1 with Sky Bet, according to Sky Sports News.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post

How funny would that be

Infact, Shabby, Square Napper or Jumbo Jim would be hilarious

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GlasMatt PSN ID: mrxblaikiex

Quote Originally Posted by FalkirkHibee View Post
    So in essence Shabby could move from the employment of one megolomaniac who is completely and utterly power mad, to another
    This is how it feels

Beenhaaker would be an excellent choice. I doubt the SFA would get him in, but I'd love to see him.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't want John to be manager! definitely prefer him to spearhead change in direction of Scottish Football as a whole!! He could become the main man, booting out Gordo Smitty as he is useless, leading us into a new era similar to France but employing real footballers from Scotalnd.

We need rid ourselves of the three associations SFA/SFL/SPL and change it to, simply...Scottish Football! or Scottish Football Authority. There is no association in Scottish Fottball, there is nothing tying it together its all disjointed and disfigured, at the moment considering it is run by West Coast mercenaries, Rangers and Celtic sycophants and to a lesser extent the Scottish Media or is that meedja?!

Time is right now for change! everything is rotten in Scottish Football and it's time to put it out of its misery and move on..........tba
    Last edited by MrSmith; 17-11-2009 at 12:59 PM.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    Wouldn't want John to be manager! definitely prefer him to spearhead change in direction of Scottish Football as a whole!! He could become the main man, booting out Gordo Smitty as he is useless, leading us into a new era similar to France but employing real footballers from Scotalnd.

We need rid ourselves of the three associations SFA/SFL/SPL and change it to, simply...Scottish Football! or Scottsih Football Authority. Ther is no association in Scottish Fottball at the moment considering it is run by West Coast mercenaries, Rangers and Celtic sycophants and to a lesser extent the Scottish Media or is that meedja?!

Time is right now for change! everything is rotten in Scottsih Football and it's time to put it out of its misery and move on..........tba
    I agree with all of that.

Notice that Guus Hiddink is at 20/1. That's what we need right now, someone who would come in and shake up them lazy, complacent ****-wits at the SFA. As with Clough all them years ago with the FA though, they won't appoint anyone who will upset their little apple-cart. Sorry, but for me, Uncle Wattie is a stick-on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

We need rid ourselves of the three associations SFA/SFL/SPL and change it to, simply...Scottish Football! or Scottish Football Authority. There is no association in Scottish Fottball, there is nothing tying it together its all disjointed and disfigured, at the moment considering it is run by West Coast mercenaries, Rangers and Celtic sycophants and to a lesser extent the Scottish Media or is that meedja?!

Time is right now for change! everything is rotten in Scottish Football and it's time to put it out of its misery and move on..........tba

But it will never happen. I'd be quite happy with JC in charge of Scotland. Not so happy with Jeffries though.

I would love Collins to get it, just on the basis of it sending jakeyback.com into total apoplexy

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marabou Stork View Post
    Beenhaaker would be an excellent choice. I doubt the SFA would get him in, but I'd love to see him.
    Beenhakker - what a brilliant name for a footballer / manager. Translated from the Dutch is "Legchopper"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourne Yesterday View Post
    One is a seasoned campaigner who knows a thing or two about getting results from mediocre teams. The other a hopeless ideallist who failed to do (for whatever reasons) what he is preaching when he had the chance at club level.

Like it or not Jim Jeffries is the sane choice for the job out of those two.

Hopefully Levein takes the role.

Maybe JC and Jumbo could stage some kind of play-off.

I suggest Hampden in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by number 27 View Post
    Maybe JC and Jumbo could stage some kind of play-off.

I suggest Hampden in the snow
    Collins should never be allowed anywhere near a Scottish national team until he has spent 30 successful years elsewhere exorcising his appalling man-management record at Hibs. Was he not the man who was the cause of the biggest player revolt in Scottish football history??

As for Jumbo Jim, don't think so - having paid off Burley's contract to some level, the SFA have nae money to pay compensation to any club.

So that makes it Jimmy Calderwood with Craikie Broon as his assistant!!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancienthibby View Post
    Collins should never be allowed anywhere near a Scottish national team until he has spent 30 successful years elsewhere exorcising his appalling man-management record at Hibs. Was he not the man who was the cause of the biggest player revolt in Scottish football history??

As for Jumbo Jim, don't think so - having paid off Burley's contract to some level, the SFA have nae money to pay compensation to any club.

So that makes it Jimmy Calderwood with Craikie Broon as his assistant!!
    The players caused it themselves by being lazy bar-stewards.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post

The same could be said of any number of the current Scottish squad - and you want Collins to manage that???

[/B]

The same could be said of any number of the current Scottish squad - and you want Collins to manage that???
    Collins has got the correct attitude. Its getting it through the players egotistical minds thats the problem.

But i'd much rather see him having a go at it than any of the other duds that are being classed as options.

Collins has got the correct attitude. Its getting it through the players egotistical minds thats the problem.

But i'd much rather see him having a go at it than any of the other duds that are being classed as options.
    If it's not happening at the individual clubs, then Collins has nae chance of changing attitudes at 4 or 6 get-togethers per year!! You need to get real!!

@hibs.net private member
    He is dealing with much bigger ego's at Hampden than he was at ER. He will seriously piss off a lot of "established" pro's who are basically not delivering. Do you think the SFA will go for a "new broom" who will gently sweep out the old or a super-duper electrolux who will decimate the establishment and actually expect highly paid players to be able to pass a ball 10 feet? you decide....

I know JC isn't the perfect appointment.

But who would you rather see over him?

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Collins must be in with a good shout. Jury's out on him as a manager, but he still carries a bit of glamour and clout as a 'big name' plus there's no doubting his playing pedigree when it comes to Scotland. He talks a good game and started off great at Hibs so I imagine the SFA will seriously consider him. I remember as soon as he declared his interest in the Hibs job we all pretty much wanted him appointed there and then.

Anyone rather than Levein IMHO.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mag7 View Post
    Collins must be in with a good shout. Jury's out on him as a manager, but he still carries a bit of glamour and clout as a 'big name' plus there's no doubting his playing pedigree when it comes to Scotland. He talks a good game and started off great at Hibs so I imagine the SFA will seriously consider him. I remember as soon as he declared his interest in the Hibs job we all pretty much wanted him appointed there and then.

Anyone rather than Levein IMHO.
    When he bailed out at easter road, i said at the time that could work against him in the future. The last thing we need for the national team, is a man who walks away when he does not get what he wants. He still might get the job, there does not seem to be many highly rated managers he needs to beat.

Left by mutual consent!
    If Collins does the job , do you think Kevin Thomson will play for the national team under his reign ??

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Totally agree, to make it worse, of the guys that he successfully pissed off about a four of them are now part of the Scotland squad!
    Brown, Thomson, Whittaker, Fletcher

Never JC, I think that Jumbo would at least do as well as Big Eck or Smith did, ie hard to beat, hit on the break, beat the diddy teams, and have a hope against the good teams.

At the end of the day all we can really expect is to get to the World cup qualification play offs, and then it's hope for the best. But with the expanded Euros we should be able to get to that each time, we should ALWAYS be in the top 24 European teams - which it will be in 2016.