hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hibs-Hearts merge

From my other thread your life -your team a few posters have said one of the best things is not merging with hearts.

I know from that post hibs fans didn't want that, I assume hearts fans felt the same, is this the case?

Would it have been a name change like inverness caley thistle with both teams names being fitted in to the main name ie Hibs of midlothian or would it have been a new name altogeter like Edinburgh united?

Where would the team have played?

I vaguely remember this but tbh never paid to much attention at the time.

Ok now realise it was not a mutual merger, IF it did happen would you have supported the new club?
    Last edited by blueisthecolour; 11-11-2009 at 02:06 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

What about Celgers?

Think it would work?

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by blueisthecolour View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    From my other thread your life -your team a few posters have said one of the best things is not merging with hearts.

I know from that post hibs fans didn't want that, I assume hearts fans felt the same, is this the case?

Would it have been a name change like inverness caley thistle with both teams names being fitted in to the main name ie Hibs of midlothian or would it have been a new name altogeter like Edinburgh united?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're not fishing.

It would have been a "merger" in name only, the new team would be called Hearts, played in maroon and at Tinkcastle. As for how the Hearts fans felt, most of them would have been delighted to put us out of business and I think it's safe to say their opinion hasn't changed one bit.

You make it sound as if it was almost amicable.....it wisnae.
    I think at the time a fair few Yams were up for it. Only because it wasn't a "merger" it was a take-over attempt. The end result would have been the demise of Hibs as we knew it, I dare say we have been resurected in some form.
    The Hearts would still have been Hearts and probably just as f'ked up as they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeko View Post
    What about Celgers?

Think it would work?
    I think he'd prefer Rantic

Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post

It would have been a "merger" in name only, the new team would be called Hearts, played in maroon and at Tinkcastle. As for how the Hearts fans felt, most of them would have been delighted to put us out of business and I think it's safe to say their opinion hasn't changed one bit.
    Not fishing mate, as I said I just vaguely remember this, I didn't realise it was more of a takeover, I thought it was more of making a bigger force from Edinburgh, hence merging the two teams, maybe having a bigger support more money ect.

@hibs.net private member surreyhibbie's Avatar
    It was a takeover.

Totally misjudged, dreamt up by someone who saw it as a business proposition and had absolutely no idea what supporting a football team means to people.

It will never happen, nor should anyone with two functioning brain cells even consider it.

Ground sharing yes, but that's as far as it should go.
    Alcohol IS the answer, but I forget the question...

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army. Hun after hun.

Not fishing mate, as I said I just vaguely remember this, I didn't realise it was more of a takeover, I thought it was more of making a bigger force from Edinburgh, hence merging the two teams, maybe having a bigger support more money ect.

This was an ego trip for WM nothing more nothing less .
    The whole truth of this distasteful episode will probably never finish up in the public domain but I was close enough to the events that took place to tell you that this was nothing to do with a stronger Edinburgh team .
    This was financial pure and simple.
    Thank goodness some people kept their nerve

Can't understand anyone wanting to bring this up yet again!
    The perpetrator is dead and the situation was averted : let's just look to the future while saying a big thankyou to STF et al

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army. Hun after hun.

The merged club would play in maroon (from Hearts) and white (from Hibs).

It would be called Heart of Midlothian (from Hearts) Football Club (from Hibs).

No the whole idea was about real estate for Wallet Mercenary (RIH) to hut Hibs down and gain control of Easter Road. Maybe later move into a new stadium by the City Bypass and sell Tynecastle also.

Football clubs are not like supermarkets. The support is not transferable in the sense that Safeways customers would be expected to shop at Morrisons after the takeover.

The Inverness merger was something of a shambles. OK ICT were in the SPL but I suspect that an unmerged Inverness Caledonian would have got there quicker. I was told by an Inverness resident that many Caledonian and Thistle supporters refused to back the merged club and switched to Ross County.

Quote Originally Posted by jdships View Post
    This was an ego trip for WM nothing more nothing less .
    The whole truth of this distasteful episode will probably never finish up in the public domain but I was close enough to the events that took place to tell you that this was nothing to do with a stronger Edinburgh team .
    This was financial pure and simple.
    Thank goodness some people kept their nerve

Can't understand anyone wanting to bring this up yet again!
    The perpetrator is dead and the situation was averted : let's just look to the future while saying a big thankyou to STF et al

TBF. Posters on the other thread said it was one of the best things for hibs that this didn't happen, I just wanted to more of the situation mate.

I hope people realise I wasn't fishing.

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd View Post

Mercer used the term "Merger" as a cover up. It was in fact a bid for Hearts to take over Hibs.

Mercer already knew that if he took over Hibs, It would only be Hearts fans that would go to the games.

It wasn't to make a strong Edinburgh side. It was to take the pride of Edinburgh and rip it straight out.

He failed which I think sends out a message to anyone with too much money.... Hibs shall not cease to exist.

:notworthy:

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd

If you're really not then fair enough. You got to understand being taken over by your most hated rivals is a seriously sore one, can you imagine if Celtic attempt a takeover of Rangers during your current plight? No doubt unthinkable for you and even if it didn't succeed (just like Hearts bid) then even the fact you were that vunerable to your biggest rivals in such a way would be ammo for Celtic fans for years on end, if not forever.

Names for the Rangers Celtic merger

Smellgers

Bigots Reunited

Ugly sisters

Soap on a rope

Fascist Institution

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

As stated previously, the " merger" would have meant Andy Goram in goal, playing at Tynecastle with the H from Hibs being part of the new team name, HOMFC, and Easter Road redeveloped as flats for yuppies. I know that there are other comments about dropping the " tell everyone you know", song, but I despised Mercer. Customers not supporters. I can remember grown men near to tears, yet afterwards he said it had been tremendous fun. I hope I never understand logic like that.

TBF. Posters on the other thread said it was one of the best things for hibs that this didn't happen, I just wanted to more of the situation mate.

I hope people realise I wasn't fishing.
    Apologies if I sounded rude
    Working for an "outside sgency" and being a lifetime Hibs supporter
    and having been involved in this fiasco six weeks before it broke in the newspapers you can see how I felt/feel .

I was asked , at 11.30 pm , to attend a meeting the following day re " ....the future of two prominent Scottish football clubs"

This was one of the most blatent efforts at potential asset stripping and manipulation of assets you could ever imagine.

Undervaluation of property etc etc was involved.

As I said previously the truth as I believe it to be will probably never come into the public domain.
    For me and my club we are still here and stronger
    Let it rest - please
    "The good guy's won and the bad guy's lost " - remember ?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe breezy View Post
    Names for the Rangers Celtic merger

Smellgers

Bigots Reunited

Ugly sisters

Soap on a pope

Fascist Institution
    Changed that for you.

This hun is clearly at it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    As stated previously, the " merger" would have meant Andy Goram in goal, playing at Tynecastle with the H from Hibs being part of the new team name, HOMFC, and Easter Road redeveloped as flats for yuppies. I know that there are other comments about dropping the " tell everyone you know", song, but I despised Mercer. Customers not supporters. I can remember grown men near to tears, yet afterwards he said it had been tremendous fun. I hope I never understand logic like that.
    It ceased to be tremendous fun for him when he received a threat preceded by a "code word" that had L+B's finest jumping around like blue arsed flies. Cant condone such a thing but it reminded Mercer the seriousness of the situation.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    The merged club would play in maroon (from Hearts) and white (from Hibs).

It would be called Heart of Midlothian (from Hearts) Football Club (from Hibs).

No the whole idea was about real estate for Wallet Mercenary (RIH) to hut Hibs down and gain control of Easter Road. Maybe later move into a new stadium by the City Bypass and sell Tynecastle also.

Football clubs are not like supermarkets. The support is not transferable in the sense that Safeways customers would be expected to shop at Morrisons after the takeover.

The Inverness merger was something of a shambles. OK ICT were in the SPL but I suspect that an unmerged Inverness Caledonian would have got there quicker. I was told by an Inverness resident that many Caledonian and Thistle supporters refused to back the merged club and switched to Ross County.
    Not having a go at you, but I find the bold bit hard to believe. There may have been the 'odd' one, but I cannot see many residents of Inverness supporting a Dingwall team. I think more likely, they would have switched off football or re-discovered their passion for the Ugly sisters as most supported one local Highland League team and one Ugly sister.

Left by mutual consent!

Ok now realise it was not a mutual merger, IF it did happen would you have supported the new club?
    Not been on the site for a few days but it seems you have your feet firmly planted under the table since I was online.

That disgusting crest thingy as your avatar

Is this another molotov lobbed in just as you did on the Sheep thread, when you commented about setting people alight before knowing the full story.

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    I seem to recall there was a suggestion that the new team would be called Hearts of Edinburgh. WM must have not liked Midlothian.

The events of that period seem unbelieveable in retrospect but it was all too real for those of us involved.

The Hearts fans who claim it was good for Hibs are simply rewriting history and reality. Yes, there were some dodgy dealings beforehand with pubs in Bath etc. But the plan was for Hibs to simply cease to exist in any form or memory. Happily, we were a lot stronger than that.

STF was only one player in the proceedings, all be it a big one.

Look at us now. Proud.

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Call me old fashioned, but it seems as though what we have is a so-far decent Rangers fan, who posts on this board without causing any problems and often making good points. Perhaps blueisthecolour has a strong hatred of whatever goes on on messageboards in the vein of Follow Follow, and has a genuine interest in interacting with other football fans.

I for one am tired of the unwarranted pish directed at blueisthecolour. And no, I'm not a Rangers sympathist. I hate everything to do with both sides of the Old Firm. What I can do, however, is respect someone wanting to know more about our club. Why the hell should a Rangers fan be well-informed about Wallet and the events of 1990/91?

Dear lord. If blueisthecolour starts posting sectarian bile then fair enough. As it is, blueisthecolour is helping keep this board active whilst causing no problems at all. Some people here need to learn when to shut up. I'm all for voicing your opinion but when it's purely because of the avatar or the fact they're a Rangers fan it's ridiculous.

Back on subject, I wouldn't have supported the "merged team" aka Hertz at all. Hibs has been in my family and in my blood since the 1920s at least. Although I was too young to really have any idea what was going on at the time, I know how hard the Hibs fans fought to keep Hibs alive, and as a season ticket holder for the past...10 years I think, I'm eternally grateful. Hibs is a way of life, it's not just a sports team.

@hibs.net private member the_ginger_hibee's Avatar
    Agree with LH, he seems to have gotten it tight on this thread.

He was genuinely interested it seems. Just like myself. Being too young at the time, I love reading these threads. The showing of solidarity between fellow Hibees is something we should all love talking about.

Plus I dont suppose many fans outside Edinburgh know much of the story, no need to be harsh on him.

Had my doubts about him at first. But he seems like a decent poster to be fair.

If we can teach him all things Hibs... then there may be hope for him yet.

Jack Regan on the other hand is a complete bell-end who should have been launched a long time ago IMO.

@hibs.net private member Sprouleflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leitrim Hibee View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but it seems as though what we have is a so-far decent Rangers fan, who posts on this board without causing any problems and often making good points. Perhaps blueisthecolour has a strong hatred of whatever goes on on messageboards in the vein of Follow Follow, and has a genuine interest in interacting with other football fans.

I for one am tired of the unwarranted pish directed at blueisthecolour. And no, I'm not a Rangers sympathist. I hate everything to do with both sides of the Old Firm. What I can do, however, is respect someone wanting to know more about our club. Why the hell should a Rangers fan be well-informed about Wallet and the events of 1990/91?

Dear lord. If blueisthecolour starts posting sectarian bile then fair enough. As it is, blueisthecolour is helping keep this board active whilst causing no problems at all. Some people here need to learn when to shut up. I'm all for voicing your opinion but when it's purely because of the avatar or the fact they're a Rangers fan it's ridiculous.

Back on subject, I wouldn't have supported the "merged team" aka Hertz at all. Hibs has been in my family and in my blood since the 1920s at least. Although I was too young to really have any idea what was going on at the time, I know how hard the Hibs fans fought to keep Hibs alive, and as a season ticket holder for the past...10 years I think, I'm eternally grateful. Hibs is a way of life, it's not just a sports team.

Bluesthecolour so far appears quite genuine about asking questions about hibs, although I must admit, having that crest as his avatar is a bit gauling, maybe the admins could tart it up a bit?

Think the Yams just wanted to see Hibernian F.C disappear into oblivion.

I wouldn't have thought the idea of the "two teams merging" even came into the equation.

Before my time like, but still, I think I'm right....

Anyone clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprouleflyer View Post

Bluesthecolour so far appears quite genuine about asking questions about hibs, although I must admit, having that crest as his avatar is a bit gauling, maybe the admins could tart it up a bit?
    Was thinking the same myself.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    The Mercer take over was indeed a worrying time for the Hibernian faithful.

I spent £600 which I couldn't really afford to do by buying up some Hibs shares in a futile attempt to stop the Devil himself from getting his hands on them!

Thank goodness we had a knight in shining armour to save the day.

Arise Sir Tom Farmer ----- we are eternally grateful!