hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Worst Memory of Supporting Hibs...

..........following on from another thread I started about the funniest moment supporting the almighty Hibernian F.C.

It was a special occassion, we were up against THEM, in a semi final for the "big cup". I was rather tipsy and was dropped off by my dad wi one of my Celtic supporting mates (spare ticket and he wanted to come!). My Dad went off to the maroon end whilst we walked up the road singing Hail HAil.

Got inside the stadium, the atmosphere was buzzing, just as we got to our seats The White Strpes came on over the tanoid. Cany remember the name of the song though.

Well, we all started bouncing about whilst shouting the base guiter bit of the song , dun, dun de dun duh dun, dun

It all went quiet before the solo bit and we ready to start giving it laldy when the whole maroon half of Hampden started chanting "All the Hibees are gayyyyyyy" along with the tune.

Gutted - doesn't even explain how I felt.

The to top it all our we were pumped, well and truely, and I had to sit in the car wi my Dad gloating all the way back to Dumfries.

I felt miserable.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    Celtic 6 - Hibs 1 in Scottish Cup - gutted

Dixi Deans scoring was sickening.

We hardly turned up that day despite the huge crowd (106,000 I think).

I lost count the number of times the goals were shown again on the TV

Got our revenge in the summer though in Dryborough cup, then later in the League cup.

Getting beat by Dundee United and relegated in 1998.
    Or the entire reign of the Blobster.

Losing 7-0 at ibrox, forever tarnishing the magical scoreline

@hibs.net private member
    Dunfermline away, the relegation season. There was so many of us went through, and it not being all ticket that we all ended up in the home end. We got beat with brebner scoring an own goal, pretty much put the nail in a dismal season.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    22nd May 2005, final game of the season when we allowed Rangers to beat us, meaning they won the league. Totally ruined what should have been a special day with us.

A very sad day in the history of our club!

@hibs.net private member Www1875hfc's Avatar
    Certainly been a few eh. 1998 against dundee utd was a low point for me as was the 4 - 0 semi at hampden.
    But the 1 that sticks in the mouth is the 4-4 game at tynie, to be 2 goals up into injury time and draw 4 - 4 it took me months to get over that, f uckin ragin

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by frazerbob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    22nd May 2005, final game of the season when we allowed Rangers to beat us, meaning they won the league. Totally ruined what should have been a special day with us.

I hear what your saying but we qualified for eorope and were confirmed as "best of the rest" that day.

The semi against hearts or the Livingston cis final really weren't worse?

Those 2 plus the Scottish semi against Aberdeen with andy Dow scoring the winner were sickeners for me. We had a quality side that year, Aberdeen were ganting and the rangers team that won it were on their way out. Was a great chance to win it but we bottled it big time. Made all the worse with said pishy rangers team waltzing the final once robbie winters had to go in goals.

Deffo the 4-4. Went to my mate's after it in Slateford, had to walk through that horde. U would have thought they had won the Champions League. I can go back to the 6-1 '72 Cup Final with Hibs disappointment's, but that tops the lot.

Hampden park against Ayr United, Under Sauzee.

Hibs 1 - 2 Hearts. Phil Stamp hitting two goals in the last few minutes after some fantastic substitution choices from Blobby once again.

Sat in the west stand right at the Hearts fans. At that point I'd never hated anyone as much as I hated blobby. Hate is a strong word, but not when you are put through that.

Promising Youngster Hibee-Rocker's Avatar
    Def the scottish cup semi vs Hearts. 1st because it was a piss poor turn out by the Hibs fan's, to there full half... 2nd cause we got pumped!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    CIS final v Livi

Scottish semi v Hearts

In fact anytime we've been within touching distance of a trophy and bottled it. Getting knocked in earlier rounds is nothing like being so close... only to fall so far.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Livingston cis final was my lowest ebb as a Hibs fan .. I was actually asking myself serious questions on the way home, like why I ****ing bother taking blows like that..

The **** beating us 4-0 in the first derby under Burley and the 4-0 semi final both really p!ssed me off as well..

However, these pains make the limited sucess we ever do achieve all the more special and meaningfull, and is the reason why supporting a club like ours brings a hell of a lot more meaning to life than supporting either of the old firm...

So,so many I don't know where to begin.
    6-1 SC final.
    4-0 Semi against them.
    4-4 against them...again.
    20 odd games without beating...guess who??
    3-0 SC defeat against sellik after Lattapy incident.

Think the worst, for me, though was losing John Brownlie after he broke his leg...IMHO we could have won the league that year

Dunfermline replay at Hampden. Absolutely soul destroying.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post
    Celtic 6 - Hibs 1 in Scottish Cup - gutted

Dixi Deans scoring was sickening.

We hardly turned up that day despite the huge crowd (106,000 I think).

I lost count the number of times the goals were shown again on the TV

Got our revenge in the summer though in Dryborough cup, then later in the League cup.

Yup.

I wanted to die that day.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by frazerbob View Post

That was very bad. It was the day i stopped 'believing' in Mowbray - he should have had us out there playing to win, not faffing about as we were.

But the 6-1 final was just awful.

@hibs.net private member
    The worst I ever felt was the 4-4 game at ****castle.

The Wayne Foster moment is the one that gets me every time. I like to think of myself as the sporting type, but I still struggle to forgive Dave Beaumont for not bringing him down.

For a while I sat in the famous five stand and the moments when a team with a big away support (Usually Yams) scored, followed by the time it takes them to realise they have scored, then seeing them leap up knowing that the sound was just about to reach you, before it inevitably did still gives me a horrible feeling as well.

6-1 cupfinal was brutal, as was the Livvie league cup final.
    Think the most I've been gutted tho was Pat stanton missing the PK against Leeds at ER in the shoot-out. We should have beat them hands down. We played really well and if it wasn't for Billy Bremner we would have won.
    I was just shocked when we missed the last PK, more so cos it was King Paddy that missed

The aoppointments of Williamson, Scott and Duffy is narrowly shaded by the fatuous refusal of Petrie to lobby for a semi final replay v Dunfermline to be played at an East Coast venue in 2007 and the resultant predictable damage the embarassment and defeat did to Hibs - we are still recovering from his short-sightedness and as Richey White said the image it portrayed of Hibs as a fourth-rate club was soul destroying.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    Semi Finals:

Hearts
    Ayr Utd
    Dunfermline
    Aberdeen in '86 (compensated for in the final )

Others:

4-4 v Hearts
    4-4 v Dundee after leading (I think) 4-1
    0-4 v Dundee (was 0-4 at half time, the place was a morgue in the 2nd half)
    Wayne Foster moment
    Fatty Phil Stamp moment(s)
    Rangers game at home in the relegation season - blew it big time after leading IIRC
    Houchen's penalty miss v FC Liege

Can't remember years for all these moments, but they've been spread throughout my years as a Hibs fan, needless to say there will be many more before I pop my clogs....

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsNibs View Post
    Losing 6-0 at ibrox, forever tarnishing the magical scoreline
    That game never happened!
    So no need to ever mention it again.

Memory loss has distinct advantages.

But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Semis:
    Hearts
    Ayr
    Dundee United
    Dunfermline

Final:
    Livingston

Others:
    1-5 Hearts
    1-2 Aberdeen - Scottish Cup Semi Final

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    "That" semi final was indeed sickening.

As I recall. We thrashed teams to get there. Beating Arbroath 6-0, then beating Falkirk 1-5, then beating Rangers 0-3 on their own patch.

Hearts on the other hand were scraping 1-0's & 2-1's against the likes of Partick Thistle... Then only just managing to beat the mighty Gretna on penalties!

It seems there doing the same this season in the CIS.

Come on St Mirren! Get into this mince!

Relegation was the lowest point by quite some way, but looking back on it, it was actually good for the club in the long term.

However, there is no perspective from which getting pumped on and off the park by your fiercest rivals with the prize of a Scottish Cup Final against Gretna at stake is anything other than absolutely soul-destroying.

Walking out of ER just before the final whistle just after that pig with a sense of balance scored the 2nd at ER in the final minute, listening to the whole South Stand giving it laldy (I believe they were enquiring whether we, as "Hibby ****", were watching ) was grim as well.

@hibs.net private member aljo7-0's Avatar
    Walking back into my work after lunch to have a Yam colleague gloat at me that Wallace Mercer and Hearts were going to buy out and destroy the Hibs. That in itself was annoying enough but to find out it was true and could really (and at that stage was likely to) happen was depressing beyond belief.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

Getting relegated both times from the SPL , 0-4 in the semi and 0-1 against Ayr.

Many bad memories which at the seemed to be the worst but League Cup Final in 1985, all over in 10 minutes, takes some beating.