hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your first derby memory?

I'm in my 40s now and came late to supporting Hibernian. I'm Irish so always had a faint interest in the results, was living in England supporting Everton and mildly interested in whether Hibs or Celtic would win. I was vaguely aware that the Jammies had the indian sign over Hibs and wanted that to end.

I met a Hibee and he turned me on to supporting Hibs more and I got more and more into it and would you believe my first actual derby was the 6-2 hammering we gave them in 2000? How lucky is that? I remember it as a 6-1 but they got a late consolation. My friend was ecstatic, I was thrilled and since then I've been a fan.

What was your first game? Good? Bad? Draw?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I think it was April 1985, midweek, I was in the Hearts end with my dad, I was still a Partick Thistle fan back then but felt uncomfortable in the Hearts end and thought the Hibs end looked much cooler with over 200 Hibs ski hats bouncing around

I think I knew at that point that I'd end up in amongst the Hibs support sooner rather than later

It was 2-2 and I think Hibs got a late equaliser which made it quite amusing

1-1 draw at a packed Easter road on 1st jan 1964. Wallace scored for Hearts just after half-time and Neil Martin equalised with a penalty.

Hibs introduced a wee right winger called Johnny Grant whom no one had ever heard of. He was about Jimmy Johnstone's size and very tricky.

There was no "cave" at the north end yet and the east terrace seemed to reach up to the sky. We were in the south standing enclosure by the trackside wall.

Being of small stature I had a wooden box to stand on.

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Remember a game at ER when some Hearts fans ran onto the pitch after either Paul Kane scored or Hearts scored, probably about 1984?

Certainly remember the game mentioned above when Joe McBride scored two in the dying minutes the following year.

Been to most derby games since then, strangely enough I would count a game when we won 3-1 at ER as one of the best ones that I enjoyed. Keith, Weir and Harper all scoring in the 2nd half.

It was at Easter Road in the middle of the miners' strike with a very heavy police presence.

Hibs scored first and looked like winning until Hearts took two late goals.

The crowd were forced apart by the police cordon. The Hibs support were winding the police up with chants of "Arthur Scargill".

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    my first derby game was 1/1/1973 on top of my faithers shoulders in the school end at the tincastle slummery http://www.easterroad.com/hibernian/...-7-tynecastle/ -

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    I remember being at Tynecastle in a match we lost 2-1.

Robertson panned a penalty into Jim Leighton's top right corner on the opposite side of the ground to where we were.

For some reason I seem to remember the Hibs support being housed in the Gorgie Stand Can anyone confirm this?

This was roughly 1996.

Hibs v Hearts games

It probably wasn't my first derby but my first memorable! In the mental corner between the cow shed and East! Got photographed by the Ev News and was "circled" in the Evening Pink that night as "Spot the Fan" - won £25 quid. It was about 18 - 19 years ago!

Remember phoning the News on the Monday and the guy asked what I was wearing to the game to confirm it was me.... I said jeans, denim shirt.... he said what colour of scarf did you wear?.............I said "well, if wisnae ****in maroon thats for sure... the response was "the cheque is on its way hen!!!!" Quality!!

'S' Form
    The first score I remember was 1/1/73, but the first game I went to was a Scottish Cup game in I think '76. Hibs won 2-0 I think (maybe 2-1), and Drew Busby was playing for them together with some muppet up front with a really stupid looking beard! The things you remember

Quote Originally Posted by Nando™ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember being at Tynecastle in a match we lost 2-1.

Robertson panned a penalty into Jim Leighton's top right corner on the opposite side of the ground to where we were.

For some reason I seem to remember the Hibs support being housed in the Gorgie Stand Can anyone confirm this?

This was roughly 1996.
    we used to be in the opposite end from nowadaysthe piss running down the stairs from the bogs which were at the top.good memories of Hibs flags draped from the backroom windaes of the tenements,when the ey could see the games fae the hoose!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    My first derby was also my first Hibs game.

I was late getting into football.

2nd April 2006.

Nuff said.

Scottish Cup quarter final in 1979, also my first game. Watched it from waaay up high on the old terracing.

Hibs won 2-1, the Jambos fought among themselves, happy days.

My first memory/derby was when De La Cruz slammed it in past Niemi from miles out after about 36 secounds.

At the time I thought all derbies went like that

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    My first derby memory is from a Scottish cup tie at tynie...1970/71 I think. 2-1 win for the mighty cabbage. John Hazel and Arthur Duncan were the scorers iirc.

The game at Tynie when we were 3 up after 11 minutes springs to mind.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    My father coming home from a Cup-Tie at Tynie totally hyper and talking non-stop for five hours about Joe Baker. Joe had scored four that afternoon; Hibs won 4-3.

And my dad didn't take ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
    That's definitely one of my first memories of a Derby.

I was still outside in the queue waiting to get in when the roars went up.

We didn't know who the hell was scoring until the stewards opened the main gates to let the Hearts fans out. :notworthy:

Joe Baker rattling 4 past them in a Scottish Cup tie was an even earlier memory though.

Must have been around 1973/74 as I remember listening to the famous New Year game the year before on the radio, my dad came in steamin' from the match and told me he would take me next year when I was older as I was only six at the time...

I remember trying to walk out of Tynie at the end of the game holding onto my Dad's hand but was seperated going through that exit tunnel as it was so so busy and frightening for a wee lad.

Anyone remember the exit that went under the steps which took you out onto Gorgie Road ?
    Bl**dy frightening when you got pushed along without touching the ground...

First Team Breakthrough HibeePaj's Avatar
    My first Derby was my first game and Alex Millers last..
    I was 6, remember being in the old west stand, laughing at the woman behind me who was screamin 'break his *****ing legs', CONSTANTLY.

We got beat 3-1

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Vanquinho
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    we used to be in the opposite end from nowadaysthe piss running down the stairs from the bogs which were at the top.good memories of Hibs flags draped from the backroom windaes of the tenements,when the ey could see the games fae the hoose!
    Superb, cheers mate.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    last saturday and even thats a blur!

seriously though, its probably the scottish cup tie at Easter Road when Foster megged leighton!
    Last edited by Ritchie; 11-11-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post

Is this the same one I was thinking of, I was sure it was 4-0 after 11 mins

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I started going to the games in the middle to late 60s with my dad, but the 1st derby game i can remember is the 7-0 game. Not for the actual match itself, but the journey home. I'm sure the buses were on strike, or not running, and i had to walk all the way back to leith. Then i had to walk along to pirnifield to my aunties, who was having a party.

I walked in, and my dad and grandad who normally went to the games, had not gone, and asked me the score. When i told them, they would not believe me. The radio went on, the telly went on, to find out the score. When it came up, i just remember everyone going mental. Happy days.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    My father coming home from a Cup-Tie at Tynie totally hyper and talking non-stop for five hours about Joe Baker. Joe had scored four that afternoon; Hibs won 4-3.

And my dad didn't take ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fortunately, my dad took me! Hence the username and the avatar and the subsequent years of hero worship. I thought it could never get better in a derby - till 1973. I simply love the Hibs, and all the memories they have given me.

(My dad hadn't been born the last time we won the cup and that hurts just a tad. 'mon Yogi!)

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post

Here's the fella

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/games/196509181.html

Blog Entries

It was indeed, actually 4-0 after 10 mins. Yams reckon they lost a fortune that day by late fans not going into game when they heard the score, shame huh!!
    For the record all the goals were scored by 2 great Hibs players & fans, Eric Stevenson & Jim O'Rourke. Jimmy only played because Neil Martin was injured & he stuck in 2 screamers from outside the box. It was also Jummy's birthday, 19th if I remember correctly.
    Happy, happy day!!!

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    I honestly have no idea, although I seem to remember it being a 1-1 draw at ER...

Then again, that could be rubbish. I remember the 6-2 but I'm not entirely convinced that was my first.

First Team Breakthrough green.oracle's Avatar
    My first derby was the 18/9/65 mauling of the yams (4-0). Jimmy O'Rourke and the "rebel" Eric Stevenson 2 apiece.

I have not missed a derby since. Even EOS games when it was the first team that played the fixture.

Can anyone beat my 44 year record?

GGTTH :notworthy:

Yep, what a day

0-7