hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Hibs Dons 1991

Hibs Dons 1991

Just been looking through the herald's online archive. It's quite good though stuff's a bit hard to search for.

Found this link to a Hibs Dons game from 1991. Sounds like some match - fisticuffs, missed pens and an injury-time winner. Any memories?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/...-note-1.811455

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by rightwinger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just been looking through the herald's online archive. It's quite good though stuff's a bit hard to search for.

Found this link to a Hibs Dons game from 1991. Sounds like some match - fisticuffs, missed pens and an injury-time winner. Any memories?

I was at that game and it was a cracker. Snelders totally lost the plot and was rightly sent off. Brian Irvine (centre half) took over in goals and savwed the penalty but we won out in the end!

Is the Herald's online archive free and what date does it go back to?
    This is how it feels

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: aberhibsfc
    I was there, Keith Wright really wound up Snelders that day. Snelders couldn't handle it and lost the plot.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I've posted about this game on a previous thread.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=164851

Just before the penalty incident I turned to a mate to complain that the game was boring! Totally action packed from then on ending in bouncing on the East Terracing when the winner went in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I was at that game and it was a cracker. Snelders totally lost the plot and was rightly sent off. Brian Irvine (centre half) took over in goals and savwed the penalty but we won out in the end!

Is the Herald's online archive free and what date does it go back to?
    It goes back to 1989. It's tough to search because the older articles are stored along with the up to date ones - it's basically just the site's search engine. Type in 'Eddie May' for example and you'll have to wade through present day stuff about Falkirk before you get to the report of the 1989 derby when he got the winner (it's there). More success can be had with searches on names such as Burridge and Houchen, however!

The other report I enjoyed reading was a game against Dundee Utd in December 1991. We were 0-2 down with 15 minutes to go before Evans and Wright did the business for a 3-2 win.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Remember that Dons game and McGinlay's penalty miss. Outfield player in goals, just stick it in a corner he won't reach it. Probably won't even move for it. What does McGinlay do but put it right down the middle! Irvine didn't move and didn't have to! Exciting match and we got there in the end

It goes back to 1989. It's tough to search because the older articles are stored along with the up to date ones - it's basically just the site's search engine. Type in 'Eddie May' for example and you'll have to wade through present day stuff about Falkirk before you get to the report of the 1989 derby when he got the winner (it's there). More success can be had with searches on names such as Burridge and Houchen, however!

The other report I enjoyed reading was a game against Dundee Utd in December 1991. We were 0-2 down with 15 minutes to go before Evans and Wright did the business for a 3-2 win.
    Thanks for that info re the Herald

The United game - Hibs were toiling, Jim McLean (Manager of United) thought the game was done and dusted so took off Duncan Ferguson who had been their best player and was causing us loads of bother. That substitution had an adverse effect on United and a very positive one on Hibs and as you say we came back to win 3-2
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

Aberdeen were probably the best team in Scotland back then. They certainly ran Rangers close. Didn't Snelders have a problem coping with high pressure situations? I am sure that I can remember he was picked for Holland on the back of his performances for the Dons but had a pre-match squeaky bum incident and they could not get him out of dressing room.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Aberdeen were probably the best team in Scotland back then. They certainly ran Rangers close. Didn't Snelders have a problem coping with high pressure situations? I am sure that I can remember he was picked for Holland on the back of his performances for the Dons but had a pre-match squeaky bum incident and they could not get him out of dressing room.
    I reckon you're right. At least if it had been Goram in a Scotland sense, one of them could have stayed in the dressing room while the other one played
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Did Jim Bett not blooter a penalty over the bar, after an incredibly soft award for pushing against Sneddon?

@hibs.net private member MartinfaePorty's Avatar
    Sorry, would have been better if I'd actually read the report first Still, at least my memories still good!

Blog Entries

Sorry to be an anorak but there's a link there to our 1991 LC win. It mentions the same ref, Syme, giving Dunfermline a disputed penalty in semi against Airdrie & of course we went on to beat Pars in final. Good memories!

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    I remember the snelders incident he walked in front of the old stand, right by what was then the family enclosure and myself and all the other kids were giving him pelters, and his face was a right picture. Brilliant game.

As for the Utd game mentioned that would have to have been Gareth Evans best ever match in a Hibs jersey - he scored 2 and was immense. Rarely ever reached anything like those heights ever again to be honest.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Quote Originally Posted by Baader View Post
    Remember that Dons game and McGinlay's penalty miss. Outfield player in goals, just stick it in a corner he won't reach it. Probably won't even move for it. What does McGinlay do but put it right down the middle! Irvine didn't move and didn't have to! Exciting match and we got there in the end
    Yep, I recall being incredulous at McGinlay's desire to burst the net instead of just sidefooting the ball home. And when Bett stepped up to take the spot kick at the other end I was certain we'd thrown the game away. Couldn't believe he missed. Strangely I can't really recall anything of the winning goal!