hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ibrox Memories

@hibs.net private member

Ibrox Memories

Found myself reminiscing about trips to Ibrox as we head there this weekend.....

This story is from circa 1981.....Went through on a supporters bus as a teenager with a guy called James Napier (Drummond High Schoole - is he still around?). In those days the away fans went into to the enclosure underneath the main stand. It was standing at the time, and there was no segregation. Usually a small police line formed when there was any hint of hostility. On this day, there had been a few tussles but nothing more, the two of us somehow found ourselves watching the match in the middle of the Rangers singing section....no colours so we stayed quiet, smiled at each other and watched the game in amongst their nutters. Our cover was blown when McArthur (I think) saved a late penalty and the both of us found ourselves in mid air as without thinking we jumped up to celebrate.....their shock of us "imposters" gave us enough time to squeeze through them and leg it back to the bus before they caught us......it ended 2-2 if I recall......a normal 70/80's away day at Ibrox!!

Hapy Days ...any other memories???
    Last edited by bigwheel; 23-10-2009 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Joy Zipper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Found myself reminiscing about trips to Ibrox as we head there this weekend.....

This story is from circa 1981.....Went through on a supporters bus as a teenager with a guy called James Napier (Drummond High Schoole - is he still around?). In those days the away fans went into to the enclosure underneath the main stand. It was standing at the time, and there was no segregation. Usually a small police line formed when there was any hint of hostility. On this day, there had been a few tussles but nothing more, the two of us somehow found ourselves watching the match in the middle of the Rangers singing section....no colours so we stayed quiet, smiled at each other and watched the game in amongst their nutters. Our cover was blown when McArthur (I think) saved a late penalty and the both of us found ourselves in mid air as without thinking we jumped up to celebrate.....their shock of us "imposters" gave us enough time to squeeze through them and leg it back to the bus before they caught us......it ended 2-2 if I recall......a normal 70/80's away day at Ibrox!!

Hapy Days ...any other memories???
    Jim McArthur used to be my PE teached at primary school (Royal High)

He used to bring in tickets for the games and gave them to the kids

My most recent memory of Ibrox is the 2-1 defeat in the league where Shiels scored a consolatin for us right towards the end.

I spent most of the game with the shakes, as I had a hang over that could have easily immobilised a wooly mammoth!!

Looking for an altogether happier day tomorrow!!!

Though the 3-0 Cup win, remains, for me, my favourite Hibs away day outwith the Brian Kerr Derby.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rich Tea12
    as a youngster i've only been to ibrox a handful of time.

the best by far was the cup game, 0-3..... i think the fact that there were so many hibees there made the result ten times better!

loved that day!!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    My most recent memory of Ibrox is the 2-1 defeat in the league where Shiels scored a consolatin for us right towards the end.

I spent most of the game with the shakes, as I had a hang over that could have easily immobilised a wooly mammoth!!

Looking for an altogether happier day tomorrow!!!

Though the 3-0 Cup win, remains, for me, my favourite Hibs away day outwith the Brian Kerr Derby.
    LORDY LORD!!

Going top of the league thanks to a certain David Murphy was pretty good.

Must have been about 87/88, brian rice had put Hibs 1 up and after Der Hun equalised Mickey Weir ran from the half way line only to be chopped on the edge of the box. 5 mins to go, the free kick hits the wall and Bomber Harris rattles home the rebound- pandemonium!!!
    None of this segregation lark outside, the baying hordes were awaiting-

Ah the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie;2214204[B
    ]LORDY LORD!![/B]
    Sadly he had nowt to do with it, and certainly wasn't on my side that day !!

More like "Boozy Booze" - as it will be tomorrow from noon in the Weeg!!

I remember a game at Ibrox where Tony Higgins lofted a huge punt over Peter McLoys heid only to see it rattle the bar and drop into the grateful goalie's hands.

Left by mutual consent!
    It's got to be the 1983/84 Scottish Junior Cup Final when Bo'ness United defeated Cumnock Juniors.

There was a goal in that game (scored by Lex Shields, the Bo'ness winger) that was one of the best goals ever scored in the history of Association Football (at least that's what I thought at the time).

Picked the ball up in his own half, beat a dozen Cumnock players before slipping it into an empty net

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by Joy Zipper View Post
    Jim McArthur used to be my PE teached at primary school (Royal High)

He used to bring in tickets for the games and gave them to the kids
    Ha! I had him too! Remember one of my mates getting the belt from Maud the headmistress for saying " We've got gym in the gym wi Jim! "
    Think she was a yam.

'S' Form
    I had the pleasure of attending the 3-0 Scottish Cup win when Sproule, O'Connor and Killen scored. Fantastic day - the whole of the away end singing and giving it right to the Huns. We were sitting right next to the unwashed as well, brilliant.

Thing is - on the way over we were driving in 2 cars, one had a minor crash and the driver had to miss the game and take the car back to Edinburgh. There was a massive tail back on the M8 and even the Hibs fans in the buses were slagging us off!!

One of the best games i've been to though.

Gamer IDs

Sadly he had nowt to do with it, and certainly wasn't on my side that day !!

More like "Boozy Booze" - as it will be tomorrow from noon in the Weeg!!
    aslong as your fit for sunday son!!

@hibs.net private member
    Another one that brings back fond memories was the two legged league cup semi final....Mid eighties, we won first leg at ER 2-0 (pretty sure Gordon Chisholm scored a header on his debut) . Second leg, we had the whole of the broomloan road - and filled it.....Lots of traffic hassle getting to the game, we arrived about 20 mins into first half, just in time to see Davy Cooper get a goal back from a free kick. The rest of the night was one of the most nail biting match I've ever witnessed....But the sheer joy at the end was superb.....

Great night...

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    Ive been to Ibrox TWICE in my short life time and Both times the result has been

Glasgow Rangers 0 vs 3 Hibernian

the Sproule Hat-Trick game was my first visit to Ibrox I will never EVER forget how good I felt that day!

The Scottish Cup game was sensational too with so many hibees through it was just a joy to get one over them

Why am i not going this weekend to continue my lucky charm streak??
    I'm in England

WE ARE THE PEOPLE
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    aslong as your fit for sunday son!!

Im in nets - fitness is completely unnecessary - I'll just stay rooted to my line and watch the goals fly past me

Joking - I'll be there fit as a fiddle, and may have a mate who's a decent CB and is generally free on the weekends to help out/sign up for the madness!!

1st things first though - 24 hours to go till Ibrox!!

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey® View Post
    It's got to be the 1983/84 Scottish Junior Cup Final when Bo'ness United defeated Cumnock Juniors.

There was a goal in that game (scored by Lex Shields, the Bo'ness winger) that was one of the best goals ever scored in the history of Association Football (at least that's what I thought at the time).

Picked the ball up in his own half, beat a dozen Cumnock players before slipping it into an empty net
    That's Jay's old man just in case anyone was bothered and meant to be one of the hardest bar stewards ever to play junior fitba as well!

Seriously though my record at Ibrox is fairly good.

Skol Cup semi in 85 - beat 1 nil but through 2-1
    Jackson's penalty winner some time in the 90s
    Sproule hat trick
    Cup game - live on Sky and ripped them apart.
    Zitelli scoring in a 1 all draw mid week after McLeish joined them

The cup game is the main memory. For some reason I had that feeling you get when you just know you will win, no matter what the odds are. First half Hibs played to the game plan, kept it tight and Simon Brown pulling off a great save.
    When O'Connor went up for the header it seemed to be in slow motion, and the celebrations were unreal, a sea of Hibs fans going wild, we really had taken over Ibrox. It seemed like I had just recovered from the celebration in time to see Sproule on the edge of the box and powered home an immense finish, absoultely sexual. 5000 people doing a Hibees bounce, and then seeing Hun after Hun getting thrown out for losing the plot when we started the "We are the people" chant. Then Killen popped up to finish the job, it really was out of this world.

Another mention must go the 2-2 game when Orman scored a cracker. Think Tam "No Touching" McManus put us 1-0 up, Huns got it to 2-1 Rangers, when who else but Alan Orman scored an absolute screamer, running all the way up the park to the Hibs fans. He tried it so many times after that, I don't think anyone else has hit row Z more

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    My first trip to Ibrox was LC semi. A great night out. Can also remember wins there as above Bomber Harris winner, Houchy winner in a 1-0, Jackos penalty winner. I think it was the Houchy game when the Alloa bus had amout 12 of us on a 52 seater and getting pelters from the Huns on the way there as to the size of our support. after the game the windows on the bus got smashed, as we entered the tunnel on the motorway we were held up in traffic, surrounded by Huns in cars and busses but we gave it absolute laldy out of the broken windows and made some noise in the tunnel. The good old days!!!!!!!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    My first trip to Ibrox was LC semi. A great night out. Can also remember wins there as above Bomber Harris winner, Houchy winner in a 1-0, Jackos penalty winner. I think it was the Houchy game when the Alloa bus had amout 12 of us on a 52 seater and getting pelters from the Huns on the way there as to the size of our support. after the game the windows on the bus got smashed, as we entered the tunnel on the motorway we were held up in traffic, surrounded by Huns in cars and busses but we gave it absolute laldy out of the broken windows and made some noise in the tunnel. The good old days!!!!!!!

That wouldn't happen to the be the league cup semi that was played at Hampden by any chance

Or is this before my time
    Last edited by MacBean; 23-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Hibernian Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban Hibby View Post
    Must have been about 87/88, brian rice had put Hibs 1 up and after Der Hun equalised Mickey Weir ran from the half way line only to be chopped on the edge of the box. 5 mins to go, the free kick hits the wall and Bomber Harris rattles home the rebound- pandemonium!!!
    None of this segregation lark outside, the baying hordes were awaiting-

Ah the memories!
    1985 was the year

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_1875 View Post
    That wouldn't happen to the be the league cup semi that was played at Hampden by any chance

Id imagine not - it was in the days when the LC semi-final was played over 2 legs - Hibs won the first one 2-0, and lost the second at Ibrox 1-0, but still went through.

Apparently, the away end was more or less empty up until half time thanks to grim traffic.

This information comes to you courtesy of thingsIlearntfromhibs.net.com
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 23-10-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Gamer IDs

Id imagine not - it was in the days when the LC semi-final was played over 2 legs - Hibs won the first one 2-0, and lost the second at Iborx 1-0, but still went through.

Apparently, the away end was more or less empty up until half time thanks to grim traffic.

Many thanks Lyon!
    Edited my post to reflect my new found knowledge!
    Hibernian Football Club

My first trip to ibrox was Scottish Cup 1978. That was the day I realised that everything i'd been told about had actually been understated. They are horrible disgusting people. Never liked going there even when we've won.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey® View Post

Was it really that long ago? Remember travelling back to Bo'ness in what had become a shell of a former bus after an almighty rammy outside Ibrox

Id imagine not - it was in the days when the LC semi-final was played over 2 legs - Hibs won the first one 2-0, and lost the second at Ibrox 1-0, but still went through.

I was there that night, Davie Cooper scored but we held out for what seemed like an eternity!! Was an interesting (and very fast) journey from Ibrox to the bus that night!!

14 or 15 years old stepping off the Artisan bus and some dirty hun b@ssa spitting in my face. Glasgow is miles better was the slogan at the time. AYE RIGHT!

Left by mutual consent! PaulSmith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I was there that night, Davie Cooper scored but we held out for what seemed like an eternity!! Was an interesting (and very fast) journey from Ibrox to the bus that night!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy7z_z5sVVs

1:40 in on the video. You can see the size of the Hibs support already in the stadium and it was a lot bigger by the end

Quote Originally Posted by HFC_1875 View Post

Or is this before my time
    Yes before your time obviously. 2-0 at ER then 0-1 at Ibrox with an Alan Rough masterclass to see us through. Huns scored with a D Cooper free kick

All ticket that night and Hibs sold the whole Broomloan, 7500. Great atmosphere and a great night.
    I remember coming out and hearing a bottle smash, looked round to see a Hibby getting it stuck in his face. Filthy Hun bassas