hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar

9 years ago today........

22 october 2000

whats everyone's memories of that great day?

my mate woke up that morning and decided it was gonna be 9-1 to us, we all took the p*ss all day out of him, but when the 6th one went in......there was a slight moment when i thought it was gonna happen

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/foo...rem/985212.stm
    Last edited by RoslinInstHibby; 22-10-2009 at 08:18 AM. Reason: link

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    22 october 2000

my mate woke up that morning and decided it was gonna be 9-1 to us, we all took the p*ss all day out of him, but when the 6th one went in......there was a slight moment when i thought it was gonna happen

I actually don't remember anything from before the game but I do remember being shocked, stunned, ecstatic while at the game

I also recall being so happy that I went to Revolution till 3am with my then burd, on a Sunday! Celebrated in style!

I was grumbling and mumbling at Mixu's totally inept performace in the first 15 minutes, when he was showing the first touch of a rhino. 'Mixu youre just not good enough!' I spluttered. One hattrick and a moment of total genius from wee Russell later and I felt a bit silly

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    I genuinely experienced a feeling of euphoria that night that I haven't felt since, even when we beat Killie in the CIS, though it was pretty close.

We had been due them that for soooo long, and after experiencing nearly every game in 22 in a row, the release of emotion was unbelievable when the 5th and 6th went in.

After losing the early goal we took complete control and even losing Matty Jack didn't prove to be an issue as Lyndon Andrews slotted in seamlessly. Felt at half time that if we could get a 3rd then we could really do them, was delighted it proved to be the case as on so many occasions we were all over them but still managed to let them back in. Still unsure quite how they managed to score 2 mind you!

22 October is also my Old Man's birthday, don't think he's had a better one before or since.

Happy Birthday Dad

When they went 1 up their was still a strange atmosphere about the place, we just knew this was going to be our game.

I was only about 14 at the time so wish I was slightly older to appreciate it that little bit more but still one of the greatest games I have attended and I will always remember it!

GGTTH

Left by mutual consent! TornadoHibby's Avatar

22 October 2000

It was my eldest son's 20th birthday and our ST group at the time were all at the game and excited by the prospects of Hibs winning in style bearing in mind how we had been playing at that time.

4 minutes in and suddenly we are one down but the feeling was still there that this was only a minor blip for us and we would still go on to win the match. However, it took until just before half time to get the equaliser and then almost immediately we went 2-1 up courtesy of Mixu the (playing ) Hibs legend!

Second half just got better and better and with around 15 minutes to go and 5-1 up, I turned to my brother and tempted fate by saying that we could beat the 7-0 winning margin if we kept the pressure up!

However, one more goal apiece with Latapy's an absolute peach and we left heading for the birthday celebration a very happy bunch of Hibbies!

Happy Birthday Dave, looking forward to tonight's celebration!
    Last edited by TornadoHibby; 22-10-2009 at 09:29 AM.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    I remember half time being great fun, after they had enjoyed a lead for most of the first half, they didn't half shut up when they went in 2-1 down...

I also remember turning to my mate when the 5th had just gone in and asking him what the score was. Couldn't quite believe what was happening.

....And the cheer from the home fans when Hearts scored their 2nd was brilliant - one of the very few times in life when you will hear a stadium full of Hibs fans cheering a Hearts goal.

Priceless!

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

The massive away support left a lasting impression on me. When they made capital of the fact that we did not exactly turn up in big numbers for the last derby game at Tynie, it made me think of that game....

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    and i'm sure after the game the nip got turned over as well....sticks in my mind for all the wrong reasons!

First Team Regular aussie_hibee's Avatar
    all day i've been writing the date wondering why the 22nd rang a bell and meant something important. Happy birthday 6-2..!

First Team Breakthrough
    Remember it fondly, got tickets for my birthday which was the day before!

It was the first derby for my son, who was 2 at the time, and daughter, who was five.

I remember cheering their second goal as they didn't have any fans left! HAHA

Interesting to read in the match report that the 6-2 win put us 7 points clear of 4th place Rangers that year...I cant remember them having such a bad start...

I'd just moved up here and switched the wireless aff after they took the lead

Much later I turned it in as Latapy collected the 1-2 and crashed it home. I could tell from the crowd reaction it was something special - I thought a 2-2 or 3-3 equaliser - and then the commetator said 6-1and I was dancing!

One question though .. where were the other 399,750 that night?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Interesting to read in the match report that the 6-2 win put us 7 points clear of 4th place Rangers that year...I cant remember them having such a bad start...
    Aye they'd a 0-3 v Kille at Ibrox for example, and were mince.

We just run oot of steam after February tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    I remember half time being great fun, after they had enjoyed a lead for most of the first half, they didn't half shut up when they went in 2-1 down...

I also remember turning to my mate when the 5th had just gone in and asking him what the score was. Couldn't quite believe what was happening.

....And the cheer from the home fans when Hearts scored their 2nd was brilliant - one of the very few times in life when you will hear a stadium full of Hibs fans cheering a Hearts goal.

Priceless!
    That was hilarious it was so patronising. Hibs were magnificent and that was a very strong hearts team we destroyed. However anti niemi was amazing that night it would have been double figures if he hadn't made a string of world class saves.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I suppose today would be a good day for a minutes silence if you are a yam.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Season ticket at the time was in the back row of the Famous Five - place was just crazy that night we were all banging the iron behind us. Had a huge night on the town afterwards to celebrate. On the whole it's still the best game I've ever seen - was an incredible night and what a performance!

@hibs.net private member Part/Time Supporter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Celtic 6-2 Rangers
    Hibs 1-0 Rangers
    St. Johnstone 2-1 Rangers
    Rangers 0-3 Killie

All those defeats were before the end of October (the last three in successive league games around the time of Hibs 6-2 Hearts). They turned it around a bit after that though, as they had quite a big injury crisis in October.

Testimonial Due David@EasterRoad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    That was hilarious it was so patronising. Hibs were magnificent and that was a very strong hearts team we destroyed. However anti niemi was amazing that night it would have been double figures if he hadn't made a string of world class saves.
    Let's not forget Colin Cameron turning to the 5 hearts fans still there and pumping his fist to celebrate

Quote Originally Posted by Part/Time Supporter View Post
    Celtic 6-2 Rangers
    Hibs 1-0 Rangers
    St. Johnstone 2-1 Rangers
    Rangers 0-3 Killie

All those defeats were before the end of October (the last three in successive league games around the time of Hibs 6-2 Hearts). They turned it around a bit after that though, as they had quite a big injury crisis in October.
    Lets hope history doesnt repeat itself this season then

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    anti niemi was amazing that night it would have been double figures if he hadn't made a string of world class saves.
    I'm sure Mixu has previously stated that Niemi actually asked "How many was it?" at the end of the game.

Conceded 6 but still played superbly well

Happy Birthday 6-2

Was in the centre stand with my brother who had got me the ticket for my 21st which was 2 weeks previous. If i remember right Colgan made a decent save from Durie which stopped it going to 2-0. After that it was pure magic. Football-wise it was the best I had ever seen us.

Got into The Artisan afterwards and then back to my brother's flat for jazz cigarettes and the highlights. Still going mental as all six went in. Don't think we've ever been closer.

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    What a day! One of the best in my life!

WE WANT SEVEN! WE WANT SEVEN!!!

Recall some yamish mates phoning me when they scored...funny, they didnt phone back that week

6-2. Have it.

ENDOF

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    22 october 2000

Got slaughtered in the Hebrides bar and a Yam mate was with us

But he took it in good part

Thumbs Up

I can honestly say that when the 6th goal went in I have never had a Hibs feeling like that before and have been chasing the sensation ever since.
    The feeling of euphoria was fantastic. Ended up about half a dozen rows from where I satrted from in the East terracing and everyone was going absolute mental.
    A very special night.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm really into these 9th Anniversary threads - so much more interesting than mundane things like 10th and 25th Anniversarys. But just as significant.