hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Leithenhibby's Avatar

Penalty Controversial?

So how in gods name was it controversial

Didn't make the game so I have to rely on those half-wit journalists to report on the game. Now this to me is not making much sense.

Maybe I'm expecting too much...

And their hard work finally paid off in 84 minutes as they won that controversial spot kick.

Benji got his body in front of Skelton to invite the foul and the Killie ace obliged leaving ref's Craig Thomson in no doubt over his award.

The Moroccan stepped up and put the ball outwith Brown's reach and Hibs claimed a valuable three points.

Ref Watch Craig Thomson got penalty call right and showed why he's nation's top whistler. Rating: 7/10.

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/sport-ne...8057-21756043/

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithenHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Didn't make the game so I have to rely on those half-wit journalists to report on the game. Now this to me is not making much sense.

And their hard work finally paid off in 84 minutes as they won that controversial spot kick.

Benji got his body in front of Skelton to invite the foul and the Killie ace obliged leaving ref's Craig Thomson in no doubt over his award.

The Moroccan stepped up and put the ball outwith Brown's reach and Hibs claimed a valuable three points.

Ref Watch Craig Thomson got penalty call right and showed why he's nation's top whistler. Rating: 7/10.

First of all when it happened I immmediately thought it was a dive - I havent seen it again yet so I'll have to wait and see.

Can someone tell me this though this is not the first time I've read this pish about CT being our top whistler..........the guy is terrible. He never controls the game and the players know it.

That farce at the free kick yesterday proved it - Kyle was blatantly laughing as the wall kept stepping forward and he stood and did nothing.

Always thought Calum Murray was our best official.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Looking like I'll have to be judge & Jury my first thought was, was it a stone wall or a bit soft...I always Analise penaltys..just a thing I have.

I thought the penalty that Stoke got against The Hammers was soft, but not seen a rerun yet..

Penalty's are becoming a real art form for all those potential divers out there...So I'm just going to wait for the highlights to go up..

wasn't sure at the time, seen it on telly and looks like referee called it right

Quote Originally Posted by forthhibby View Post
    wasn't sure at the time, seen it on telly and looks like referee called it right
    are the goals on SSN?

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Whether it was or no, Thomson missed an even more blatant one a few minutes before it with a clear handball in the box. Thomson's performance was awful yesterday and you wouldn't put it past the Sunday Mail to base their report on the 30 second clip from SSN.

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    First of all when it happened I immmediately thought it was a dive - I havent seen it again yet so I'll have to wait and see.

Can someone tell me this though this is not the first time I've read this pish about CT being our top whistler..........the guy is terrible. He never controls the game and the players know it.

That farce at the free kick yesterday proved it - Kyle was blatantly laughing as the wall kept stepping forward and he stood and did nothing.

Always thought Calum Murray was our best official.
    Kyle was at it all game, surprised Bamba never lost it with him at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Westie1875 View Post
    Kyle was at it all game, surprised Bamba never lost it with him at some point.
    He also tried to get Bamba booked when he should have been booked long before it himself.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CENNYDD
    Agreed Thomson was shocking today (not really a surprise though). Every time Babma got withing 3 feet of Kyle the ref gave a foul.

As for the penalty I thought it was a 50/50 at the time and possibly Benji made the most of it. As has already been said we should have had one just before that.

Coaching Staff
    I heard Jim Jeffries moaning about it, saying that if Maloney didn't get a penalty for an identical incident in the OF match then why should the same ref give a penalty to Hibs yesterday.

Most around me in the FF Stand thought it wasn't a penalty at the time but, as in every situation, I'd have to see it again.

Not sure how the OP is so amazed it was considered controversial when they weren't at the game and haven't even seen it........

a penalty is like a boiled egg..........

soft or hard its still a boiled egg

@hibs.net private member

So, a penalty then.

Got a Great view in the FF upper, Benji gets his body between defender and ball and the defender goes through the back of him, Benji is looking for it but it is a foul in the box.

Clever play by Benji.

Quote Originally Posted by Sas_The_Hibby View Post
    Most around me in the FF Stand thought it wasn't a penalty at the time but, as in every situation, I'd have to see it again.

Not sure how the OP is so amazed it was considered controversial when they weren't at the game and haven't even seen it........

Because IF, you read the OP you will see that in BOLD the report says it was controversial, and in the next sentence it says the the ref got it right why?....
    Last edited by Leithenhibby; 18-10-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: 666
    Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    So, a penalty then.

Got a Great view in the FF upper, Benji gets his body between defender and ball and the defender goes through the back of him, Benji is looking for it but it is a foul in the box.

Clever play by Benji.
    Exactly what I saw and thought as well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    Whether it was or no, Thomson missed an even more blatant one a few minutes before it with a clear handball in the box. Thomson's performance was awful yesterday and you wouldn't put it past the Sunday Mail to base their report on the 30 second clip from SSN.
    Thought thomson was poor, and I was screaming for the handball penatly, but much though it pains me to say he did get that one right.

Just because the ball hits a hand does not make it a foul. The instructions that referees are given are that if the handball is deliberate or if the ball hits the hand when it is in an "unnatural position" (which is not a euphemism for anything!) then it is a foul. The Killie players hand was at his side when the ball smacked into him - no pen.

(On a similar note on obsuce laws, the Sunderland goal that hit the balloon was correctly (eventually) analysed as being incorrectly awarded, and should have been a drop ball as a result of the involvement of an outside agent. But Shearer still got it wrong - he said it should have been a drop ball at the edge of the box. It shouldnt - it should have been a drop ball at the edge of the six yard area. Worrying that two managers and three so called expert pundits didnt know the laws of the game. P!sses me of royally).

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCarpets View Post
    The instructions that referees are given are that if the handball is deliberate or if the ball hits the hand when it is in an "unnatural position" (which is not a euphemism for anything!) then it is a foul. The Killie players hand was at his side when the ball smacked into him - no pen.

I'd agree if that happened but the way I remember it he had his hand oustretched when the ball hit him as you would if you were to bounce a ball.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I've just watched the highlights. I don't think a penalty should have been awarded for the hand ball.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Seen it again on sky sports news...

And i'm thinking that the penalty was perhaps given for handball...

If it was given for the challenge... then it was extremely harsh.

Because IF, you read the OP you will see that in BOLD the report says it was controversial, and in the next sentence it says the the ref got it right why?....
    Fair enough, but controversial means there was some controversy around it - Killie players may have thought it wasn't a penalty; quite a few Hibs fans around me thought it wasn't either - however, the writer's belief is that the referee got it right. I don't see any contradiction there.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Everyone around us were saying it was not a penalty, i did not think it was either, but hey ho, thats life.

@hibs.net private member Pete70's Avatar
    I haven't seen a replay of it yet but thought a the time it wasn't a pen as Benji made a meal of it.

I'll take it though, we've had a few far more blatant decisions go against us in the past.

I sit in the FF upper just to the right of the goal.

Not one of those sitting around me thought it was a penalty. We all throught it was a dive. Judging by the talk coming down the stairs after the match, that view was held by many more.

Maybe we could not see the foul because it was behind Benji? I will await the highlights with interest.

Left by mutual consent!
    Right, answers on a postcard, which one of the following two posts is right ...

Quote Originally Posted by EskbankHibby View Post
    So, a penalty then.

Clever play by Benji.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    I sit in the FF upper just to the right of the goal.

Not one of those sitting around me thought it was a penalty. We all throught it was a dive. Judging by the talk coming down the stairs after the match, that view was held by many more.

Maybe we could not see the foul because it was behind Benji? I will await the highlights with interest.

Thomson gave the penalty without a seconds hesitation because there was no doubt. Benji wisely put his body into a great position and Skelton forgot he waas in the penalty box rather than at the half way line and wrapped his arms round Benji momentarily to try to stand his ground. Never achieved either - therefore stonewaller.

I don't think they are calling it controversial - more so basing it on the fact that Jumbo Jeffries was bumping his gums about it. Anyway, when it comes to finding out the gen on Hibs, stop reading papers and just phone me.....
    Last edited by Toaods; 18-10-2009 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toaods View Post
    Thomson gave the penalty without a seconds hesitation because there was no doubt. Benji put his bidy into a great position and Skelton tforgot he waas in the penalty box rather than at the half way line and wrapped his arms round Benji momentarily to try to stand his ground.

Never achieved either - therefore stonewaller.
    Did you see a replay of the incident Toaods?

You'd be greetin if it was given against us.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Did you see a replay of the incident Toaods?

You'd be greetin if it was given against us.
    no replay needed and I'm greeting antime a penalty is given against us. see the Sunderland game yesterday?
    Who's taking the balloons to Ibrox

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    no replay needed and I'm greeting antime a penalty is given against us. see the Sunderland game yesterday?
    Walter Smith.

Rangers.... they have a team full of balloons at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by wee_hibee View Post
    Seen it again on sky sports news...

And i'm thinking that the penalty was perhaps given for handball...

If it was given for the challenge... then it was extremely harsh

Quote Originally Posted by Sas_The_Hibby View Post
    Fair enough, but controversial means there was some controversy around it - Killie players may have thought it wasn't a penalty; quite a few Hibs fans around me thought it wasn't either - however, the writer's belief is that the referee got it right. I don't see any contradiction there.

The wording in the report is not by me, and the word controversial is used by the reporter, not me....

I will have to contain myself until the highlights are on the BBC, then, and only then will I give my honest opinion...Stonewaller..