hibs.net Messageboard

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar

Is George Burley OK?

I've watched a number of interviews with him now where his speech is so slurred and his attention is all over the place and I'm reminded of Dudley Moore's sacking from the movie 'The Mirror Has Two Faces' because the producers thought he was drunk all the time. He was later diagnosed as having a degenerative disease.

I know Burley takes flak because he sounds like he's permanently smashed, but I wonder if there's something more serious at play?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've actually wondered the same thing

but it doesn't seem to be the popular view that the guy maybe isn't a drunk after all.

Good article on George including a comment about his lisp. Bet we widnae have accused Chris Eubank of being a bevvy merchant!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/home...ge-Burley.html

@hibs.net private member MacBean's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: macbean8 PSN ID: paulmchfc
    SOMEONE (a yam) told me the reason he was sacked was because he took the u-19s out on a night out at Lulus (IIRC) after a cup win...
    Hibernian Football Club

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've actually wondered the same thing

but it doesn't seem to be the popular view that the guy maybe isn't a drunk after all.
    I sometimes wonder if he maybe isn't drunk too.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar
    It could just be something as simple as a medical condition, not necessarily life-threatening, which requires medication, and meds can have such effects on people - just make them tired or appear unfocused. I don`t know if this is George Burley`s situation, obviously, but we should be careful of making quick judgements which spill over into false rumour.

GG

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Leith Sansiro
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    I've watched a number of interviews with him now where his speech is so slurred and his attention is all over the place and I'm reminded of Dudley Moore's sacking from the movie 'The Mirror Has Two Faces' because the producers thought he was drunk all the time. He was later diagnosed as having a degenerative disease.

I know Burley takes flak because he sounds like he's permanently smashed, but I wonder if there's something more serious at play?
    I thought he always spoke like that, always assumed it was the laphroaig....

He's certainly no got the "good international manager" disease

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post
    I sometimes wonder if he maybe isn't drunk too.
    He couldn't have been sober with that last team selection in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeystewart View Post
    I thought he always spoke like that, always assumed it was the laphroaig....
    Any Laphroaig drinker is fine by me.

@hibs.net private member whiskyhibby's Avatar
    He must have been pissed to have picked Aberdeen's Lee 'No Goals' Miller before Deeks.................................

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskyhibby View Post
    He must have been pissed to have picked Aberdeen's Lee 'No Goals' Miller before Deeks.................................

Thats the clincher for me..LM WASNT in GB original sqaud DR WAS yet LM starts ahead of DR with nae goals nae confidence to his credit.

WTF?!.

Burley is a Hearts barsteward, nae 2 ways about it.

Taking the laddie the lengh and breadth of the world to give him a few minutes out wide.

You utter fud Burley.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    Thats the clincher for me..LM WASNT in GB original sqaud DR WAS yet LM starts ahead of DR with nae goals nae confidence to his credit.

Taking the laddie the lengh and breadth of the world to give him a few minutes out wide.
    For a minute there I thought not just Driver but Nade as well had qualified for the Scotland squad.

Coaching Staff The Green Goblin's Avatar

WTF?!.

You utter fud Burley.

I agree, and that`s how I still see it, however, in retrospect, maybe it`s a good thing that Riordan didn`t get his "chance" in a half-baked team trying not to get beat by too many goals in a nonsense trip. With friendlies coming up at Hampden, Riordan has a much better chance of getting a decent chance and maybe scoring, within a stronger team, at home, and therefore it will be difficult to justify leaving him out in future.

I`m not holding my breath though, and if Riordan doesn`t get a game in November, it will surely show Burley up as really clueless and totally unfair. Or perhaps he`ll play it safe and field Kenny Miller, or some as yet unknown two-bit player who may come on for one of the old firm and play reasonably well between now and then.

It wouldn`t surprise me.

GG
    Last edited by The Green Goblin; 13-10-2009 at 07:14 PM.

WTF?!.

You utter fud Burley.

Leave him alone! I don't envy him. Imagine having to share an office with Gordon Smith!

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar

WTF?!.

You utter fud Burley.
    DR was in the original squad to fulfill a purpose. Burley obviously wanted to experiment with Riordan off the bench, and brought in Miller to play the role that his first choice so he could test out Riordan for this purpose. To me that indicates that Burley already has long term plans in mind for Derek, and makes it MORE likely that he will be involved with the next squad.

Last I heard, GB supported the Huns in his younger days, and he spent a few unhappy months in charge at Hearts. You're seriously overplaying any links to Hearts.

I'd hitch-hike, walk, stowaway and swim to Japan if I was told i would get 15 minutes in a Scotland shirt. Riordan should be grateful to get ANY time as a Scotland player - and I reckon he will be.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    DR was in the original squad to fulfill a purpose. Burley obviously wanted to experiment with Riordan off the bench, and brought in Miller to play the role that his first choice so he could test out Riordan for this purpose. To me that indicates that Burley already has long term plans in mind for Derek, and makes it MORE likely that he will be involved with the next squad.

Last I heard, GB supported the Huns in his younger days, and he spent a few unhappy months in charge at Hearts. You're seriously overplaying any links to Hearts.

I'd hitch-hike, walk, stowaway and swim to Japan if I was told i would get 15 minutes in a Scotland shirt. Riordan should be grateful to get ANY time as a Scotland player - and I reckon he will be.

what utter dross
    Deek has been playing well and scoring goals, that is the criteria for gaining caps. Lee Miller has done heehaw this season or last , it was an utter disgrace that deek didnt start that game. I would say burley was wanting him to throw the toys oot just so he could justify no playing him next time
    And with so many call offs surely Ian Murray was worth a shout??
    burley is a hertz guffy as well as a jakey

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post

Quite.