hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Don Giovanni's Avatar

Shire Shame Bigots

I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here.
    Personally I can’t see what all the fuss is about? I don’t find any of these ‘acts of sectarianism’ particularly offensive.
    I wondered what fellow .netters thought?
    Are the reporters being too sensitive or are the East Stirling supporters involved simply bigots?

[In the interests of fairness and balance the OF derby passed off without any sectarian incidents...]

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    A ban for life for a Celtic Fan Without Bus Fare jibe?

Deary me.

If that was to be the yardstick then there will be a lot of life bans from ER I suspect, as well as many other grounds.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Giovanni View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’
    That doesn't scan properly. Hang these ********s now!
    Last edited by nonshinyfinish; 07-10-2009 at 08:24 PM.

Far too much being read in to it. Should every away crowd who has sang "it's just like being in church" to a home support be banned under the same theory?

[QUOTE=Don Giovanni;2200602]I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here.

Think thats a brilliant song.

Testimonial Due
    I imagine some of our followers who sit in the west stand and also attend mass, "Only sing in the chapel" imo

Left by mutual consent! Hibercelona's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_pitts View Post
    I imagine some of our followers who sit in the west stand and also attend mass, "Only sing in the chapel" imo
    You're banned for life!

Yours faithfully

Rod Petrie.

@hibs.net private member ginger_rice's Avatar
    Guy I work with plays for the Shire and doesn't know anything about this!!
    "Football should always be played beautifully, you should play in an attacking way, it must be a spectacle". Johan Cruyff.

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    didn't think one man and his dog would be capable of this

Quote Originally Posted by G19 View Post
    didn't think one man and his dog would be capable of this
    Wouldn't be able to lift Nade either

They sang at the football?

Obviously not Hibees then.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar

Cool

I should give myself a self imposed ban then cos when I read this, I thought it was the funniest thing I had seen in ages. I am not sure where the ****** is coming from on this TBH. If they are wanting to roll the "bigotry is everywhere" and not just in our precious Old Firm that is quite pathetic. But if they want to make a stand then they have kinda put themselves on the hook. How can you report an incident that hardly anyone has seen or heard and by the same turn, make no comment about incidents which have been seen and heard by a worldwide audience? By that I mean the audible bylines to Simply the Best and the " No one likes us" song last Sunday on Sky Sports.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    [QUOTE=fife hfc;2200675]
    I was surprised and disappointed to read that East Stirling were “at the centre of a sectarian storm” following their 3 – 0 defeat to Albion Rovers on Saturday. Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty. Article here.

Think thats a brilliant song.

Are you for real?? Rangers sing it to us every visit to Ibrox or when we play them at Easter Road, and you think its brilliant??

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    I should give myself a self imposed ban then cos when I read this, I thought it was the funniest thing I had seen in ages. I am not sure where the ****** is coming from on this TBH. If they are wanting to roll the "bigotry is everywhere" and not just in our precious Old Firm that is quite pathetic. But if they want to make a stand then they have kinda put themselves on the hook. How can you report an incident that hardly anyone has seen or heard and by the same turn, make no comment about incidents which have been seen and heard by a worldwide audience? By that I mean the audible bylines to Simply the Best and the " No one likes us" song last Sunday on Sky Sports.
    Exactly, you could clearly hear the famine song being sung by the rangers fans on the telly not a word mentioned. I bet if hearts sang the famine song at tynie it would be all over the papers.

Pretty pathetic fae the "fans" and papers tbh.

Ignore the famine song and chants about the IRA shooting Novo in his sleep but pick up on two nothing teams shouting OF related insults to each other presumably because they couldny afford a ticket at Ibrox on Sunday

What does Stirling have to do wi the OF anyway

Should the fans not be more focussed on actually supporting the team they've came to see as opposed to shouting about the other team's "tendancies"

4 out of the first 5 artices on this site are about the old firm...

Quote Originally Posted by 7Hero View Post
    4 out of the first 5 artices on this site are about the old firm...

Quite refreshing..at least they aint about the yams...just for once !

Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydoo View Post
    Pretty pathetic fae the "fans" and papers tbh.

Ignore the famine song and chants about the IRA shooting Novo in his sleep but pick up on two nothing teams shouting OF related insults to each other presumably because they couldny afford a ticket at Ibrox on Sunday

What does Stirling have to do wi the OF anyway

Should the fans not be more focussed on actually supporting the team they've came to see as opposed to shouting about the other team's "tendancies"
    Or Falkirk for that matter.

Personally I can’t see what all the fuss is about? I don’t find any of these ‘acts of sectarianism’ particularly offensive.
    Are the reporters being too sensitive or are the East Stirling supporters involved simply bigots?

[In the interests of fairness and balance the OF derby passed off without any sectarian incidents...]
    Is the owner of E.Stirling not just trying to nip it in the bud? cant aee anything wrong in him /DR saying something about it. he is merely stating that he does not want sectarianism or bigotry to get a foot in the door,at a club where there never was this problem. despite their low attendances,he should be apploaded, not derided

I've sat with the East Stirling fans and a more good-humoured (and long-suffering) bunch it would be hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Yes, let's throw the evil empire of East Stirling out of Scottish football. That would clear up the cancer of bigotry in our game at a stroke.

We should be be complimenting the Record on their fearless campaign and their backbone in standing up to those powerful vested interests that control our game.

[QUOTE=Leith Green;2200923]
    Quote Originally Posted by fife hfc View Post

Are you for real?? Rangers sing it to us every visit to Ibrox or when we play them at Easter Road, and you think its brilliant??
    Surely we would have to have a bus fare to get to ibrox from Edinburgh. Though it is Rangers fans so a guess not alot of thought goes into much they do.

The day the ES fanbase is big enough to have a rogue element they'll be dancing in the streets of wherever it is.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    [QUOTE=dhmf;2201164]
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post

Surely we would have to have a bus fare to get to ibrox from Edinburgh. Though it is Rangers fans so a guess not alot of thought goes into much they do.

I'm just stating a fact, I can remember this being sung to us at Ibrox on quite a few occasions..
    Remember Huns aren't exactly the most intelligent supporters around..

Watched the Shire down here in a pre-season game v Retford last year and found their fans to be funny & non-offensive.

Retford keeper had a mullet hair cut and took some stick. "Hey Keeper.... two for the dodgems" had me in stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    The day the ES fanbase is big enough to have a rogue element they'll be dancing in the streets of wherever it is.
    Brilliant!

@hibs.net private member Green_one's Avatar
    . Apparently “the rogue element were waving rosary beads and chanting taunts of ‘You only sing in the chapel’ and ‘You’re only Celtic fans without the bus fare’”, according to the Daily Record’s Anthony Haggerty.
    'waving rosary beads' Does anyone else feel this is unlikley?

I do not claim to keep up to date with religeous affairs but I suspect the average Catholic does not use rosary beads. Thats like bringing a wooden rattle to a football game.

Where would these bigots buy rosary beads? I have no idea. I looked for hours in ASDAs . Takes too much planning and cost for the average dim witted knuckle dragger but does make a GOOD STORY. I feel a lie or embellishment somewhere. No I must be wrong, its the Record after all. And if one part of the story is wrong then.......

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post

I do not claim to keep up to date with religeous affairs but I suspect the average Catholic does not use rosary beads. Thats like bringing a wooden rattle to a football game.

Where would these bigots buy rosary beads? I have no idea. I looked for hours in ASDAs . Takes too much planning and cost for the average dim witted knuckle dragger but does make a GOOD STORY. I feel a lie or embellishment somewhere. No I must be wrong, its the Record after all. And if one part of the story is wrong then.......
    Strange as it may sound rosary beads have become a fashion accessory for a lot of the young dudes of all and no religions Available from all good clothes shops and some bad ones.

Yours in fashion

BTw this is a NON story. it never happened.

Lots of Celtic fans go and watch the Rovers when we are playing on Sunday, I heard (second hand) from guys who were there and they know nothing about it. Guys on celticminded and thehuddleboard were there also and have said nothing.

But hey ist the Daily Record, who just love stirring things like this up.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brizo View Post
    Strange as it may sound rosary beads have become a fashion accessory for a lot of the young dudes of all and no religions Available from all good clothes shops and some bad ones.

Yours in fashion
    Correct. Beckham has been wearing them for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_one View Post

Answering the first paragraph, I would say that most Catholics who go to church would have a set kicking about somewhere even if they don't use them.

Second paragraph, agree. What a load of rubbish the ****** is.

As for "sing in the chapel", no catholic I know calls their church a "chapel", they talk about their church. Also, anyone who has been to Mass in Scotland would know that very few people sing anyway!