Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

78 58.65%
  • No

55 41.35%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scotland in Japan - Waste of time or not

Especially with all the call offs. Steven Naismith just withdrawn as I "speak". Scott Brown will probably be another withdrawal.

Travelling to the other side of the world to play in a meaningless match for a diddy trophy that only two teams are playing for.

I just can't see the point.

Anyone know if all the expenses are met by the Japanese or is Scotland footing the bill?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff scott7_0(Prague)'s Avatar
    I fully back the Scotland team every time but this trip for me is a waste of time........

Travel broadens the mind. Makes you realise there's more to the world than the X-Box, the mobile and the inside of a BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Travel broadens the mind. Makes you realise there's more to the world than the X-Box, the mobile and the inside of a BMW.
    You can't be serious. Geisha break.

Coaching Staff
    If I was in charge of the Scotland set up I'd be playing as many matches as I possibly could, anywhere I could.

I don't see us as being so football knowledgable/wise that we can afford not to play against various nations form different confederations.

Should we ever manage to make another WC finals ever again, it is likely that we would be drawn in a group with Asian opposition.

If we only ever play European nations, then we will be less experienced in a world wide context than we could have been.

Presumably, that is the only reason Japan have agreed to play us...to get some experience playing against a European style of play before they go to South Africa.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    The players would otherwise be off doing nothing, as there are no games scheduled anyway. The SPL is off on account of the other international teams playing, and, as most European teams are playing qualification fixtures that day, we were always going to have to travel. The North/South American qualifiers are also taking place this weekend, thus ruling out those continents, and if Japan offered Scotland a friendly, with a chance to play pressure free football, try out new players etc. then why would we turn down the chance?

That's my Devil's Advocate answer - I personally think it's a pointless fixture, as it is going to impact on the SPL clubs with many players returning tired and taking a few days to recover from a rediculous jetlagging effect. Most of the young players who are "decent prospects" will be representing the U21's this weekend, the "top international stars" will no doubt pull out injured (Naismith, Fox, Snodgrass, Thomson, Maloney and O'Conner have already withdrawn, and no doubt players like Brown, McFadden* and a couple others) will follow suit, thus leaving it to the fringe squad players to try and impress. These guys coming in aren't likely to be regular squad players, as they're simply not good enough.

*McFadden is a great player, but he's as guilty as any OF player for withdrawing from meaningless games.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Blog Entries
    I've no objection to this far off game. All the call-offs might force Burley to try out different things and different players instead of the old routine. Hey, even Riordan might get a bit of the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    If I was in charge of the Scotland set up I'd be playing as many matches as I possibly could, anywhere I could.

I don't see us as being so football knowledgable/wise that we can afford not to play against various nations form different confederations.

Should we ever manage to make another WC finals ever again, it is likely that we would be drawn in a group with Asian opposition.

If we only ever play European nations, then we will be less experienced in a world wide context than we could have been.

Presumably, that is the only reason Japan have agreed to play us...to get some experience playing against a European style of play before they go to South Africa.
    Even if we qualify for the 2014 World Cup (5 years away) I don't expect many of the players playing in Japan, including the manager and backroom staff, will be around at that time. Our next aim is to qualify for the Euro 2012 which will obviously be against European teams so totally unnecessary trip to the Far East.

It will benefit Japan more than it will Scotland.

@hibs.net private member
    Too far away.

@hibs.net private member
    Of course it's not a waste of time - these matches are vital in terms of trying new players, formations, tactics or whatever else out - and would you rather that the first time a player travelled any distance to play for Scotland, it was for a vital match so that said player would have absolutely no idea about the way that jet lag etc. might affect their performance???

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    I've no objection to this far off game. All the call-offs might force Burley to try out different things and different players instead of the old routine. Hey, even Riordan might get a bit of the action.
    Looking at the squad, I think most Hibs fans will be fuming if he doesn't start to be honest:

Goalkeepers:

Gordon
    Langfield
    Marshall

Defenders

Berra
    Hutton
    Wallace
    Barr
    G.Caldwell
    McManus
    Whittaker

Midfielders:
    Adam
    Dorrans
    Fletcher
    Robertson
    Brown
    Ross Wallace

Forwards:
    Lee Miller
    Fletcher
    Riordan
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Even if we qualify for the 2014 World Cup (5 years away) I don't expect many of the players playing in Japan, including the manager and backroom staff, will be around at that time. Our next aim is to qualify for the Euro 2012 which will obviously be against European teams so totally unnecessary trip to the Far East.

It will benefit Japan more than it will Scotland.
    Don't you think you'd get jetlagged travelling to Kazakistan then?

Left by mutual consent! PC Stamp's Avatar
    Agree. Playing for your country is playing for your country. OK with it being in Japan it's not just a case where you Nippon a plane and you're there ... but I'm sure the guys going will be quite happy to be there.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    As opposed to leaving on a bus to go to an airport, sit on a plane, go through another airport, straight to a hotel with some pitches, to the stadium and repeat in reverse.

The Scots players I'd imagine will see very little of Japan and Japanese culture.

It's good to play against different styles and physices but I think that taking the players this far is a bit much for a one off game. I do think that a game is worthwhile though.

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

We play anything but like a European team, European teams are all technical gifted, keep the ball and defend well. We are more like a pub team.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    We play anything but like a European team, European teams are all technical gifted, keep the ball and defend well. We are more like a pub team.
    don't tell Japan.

They might cancel the fixture.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes. It is a complete waste of time.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    With all these call-offs i would expect Riordan to be starting the game.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by The Story So Far... View Post
    The players would otherwise be off doing nothing, as there are no games scheduled anyway. The SPL is off on account of the other international teams playing, and, as most European teams are playing qualification fixtures that day, we were always going to have to travel. The North/South American qualifiers are also taking place this weekend,
    As are Asian Cup qualifiers.

Australia are playing Holland in Sydney in a 'friendly' on Wednesday in preparation for facing Oman in the Asian cup in Melbourne on Saturday.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post

I dont think its a waste of time to play the fixture as it will give fringe players a chance to shine, just look at Riordon, may never have got a chance otherwise.The only thing thats gettin oan ma goat is the fact its not on the telly,we were sortin out a day with the lads to start 12ish, oor time,now we will just have to play pool and avoid happy englishmen.
    Oh aye its aboot time Wallace got his call up.

Scott Brown now called off.

The fixture is now becoming a bit of a farce when you consider most of the players going to Japan will only be there to make up the numbers.

Coaching Staff
    For the odd player, like Riordan, its worthwhile, but on the whole we are not really learning much. We are so far away from playing a competitive game that there's nothing which can be worked on and so few first choice players that it can't be ticked up to a bonding and gelling exercise.

So, overall a waste of time I think.

The players would otherwise be off doing nothing, as there are no games scheduled anyway. The SPL is off on account of the other international teams playing, and, as most European teams are playing qualification fixtures that day, we were always going to have to travel. The North/South American qualifiers are also taking place this weekend, thus ruling out those continents, and if Japan offered Scotland a friendly, with a chance to play pressure free football, try out new players etc. then why would we turn down the chance?

That's my Devil's Advocate answer - I personally think it's a pointless fixture, as it is going to impact on the SPL clubs with many players returning tired and taking a few days to recover from a rediculous jetlagging effect. Most of the young players who are "decent prospects" will be representing the U21's this weekend, the "top international stars" will no doubt pull out injured (Naismith, Fox, Snodgrass, Thomson, Maloney and O'Conner have already withdrawn, and no doubt players like Brown, McFadden* and a couple others) will follow suit, thus leaving it to the fringe squad players to try and impress. These guys coming in aren't likely to be regular squad players, as they're simply not good enough.

*McFadden is a great player, but he's as guilty as any OF player for withdrawing from meaningless games.
    McFadden was not included in the original squad as he was injured and not expected to be fit to travel. [ I know he played Saturday ]

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    With all these call-offs i would expect Riordan to be starting the game.

I think he would have started anyway, to be honest - but now with Fletch as his partner rather than GazO.

The defence remains solid and the midfield not too bad, so I would expect that this is a major opportunity for Deeks and Fletch to state their claim to be the starters for the next Euro campaign!!

(In every cloud.....)

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    Looking at the squad, I think most Hibs fans will be fuming if he doesn't start to be honest:

Goalkeepers:

Gordon
    Langfield
    Marshall

Defenders

Berra
    Hutton
    Wallace
    Barr
    G.Caldwell
    McManus
    Whittaker

Midfielders:
    Adam
    Dorrans
    Fletcher
    Robertson
    Brown
    Ross Wallace

Forwards:
    Lee Miller
    Fletcher
    Riordan

i know there are a few players out but where are the rest of the B squad players to make up the numbers? where are all these players?

Goalkeepers:
    Neil Alexander
    Mark Brown

Defenders
    Ian Murray
    Graham Alexander
    Jamie McAllister
    Gary Naismith
    James McEvery
    Callum Davidson
    Steven Smith
    Kirk Broadfoot
    Lee Wilkie

Midfielders:
    Gary Teale
    James Morrison
    Chris Commons
    Paul Hartley
    Barry Robson
    Gavin Rae
    Stephen Pearson
    Lee McCulloch

Forwards:
    Kevin Kyle
    David Clarkson
    Chris Iwelumo
    that other boyd?

are all these guys injured as well????

Dont think it,s a waste of time.It gives him a chance to try out players who might have to be brought into the squad at a later date.Gives them a chance to see what international football is about and try out form players like Deeks and Wallace etc.If he finds a couple of guys that can add to our squad it will be worthwile IMO.

There are no games anyway so why not fit in a friendly. It can only be positive. It's great for Deeks getting the experience and will no doubt do his confidence alot of good

Quote Originally Posted by VegasHibby View Post
    There are no games anyway so why not fit in a friendly. It can only be positive. It's great for Deeks getting the experience and will no doubt do his confidence alot of good
    Agree with your take on having a game
    BUT an 11000 mile round trip
    Surely doesn't make sense in the middle of a season.
    Once flew roughly the same distance (Glasgow/Hong Kong and back ) in four days and was knackered for at least two days when I got home !
    Certainly it was a good few years ago when planes still had outside toilets but nevertheless was tiring !!!

Left by mutual consent! Ed De Gramo's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Gramo
    Going all that distance for a meaningless friendly...here's praying Deeks doesn't get crocked...