hibs.net Messageboard

Golden Generation

Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, O'Connor, Riordan and Fletcher all in the Scotland squad. Says a lot for our youth policy and even though they play for other clubs (bar Deeks of course), still a lot of pride about that.
    Last edited by capi; 01-10-2009 at 11:09 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by capi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, O'Connor, Riordan and Fletcher all in the Scotland squad. Says a lot for our youth policy and even though they play for other clubs (bar Deeks of course), still a lot of pride about that.

defo

Is this the first time that they have all been included in the same Scotland squad?

Quote Originally Posted by hwuhibby View Post
    defo

Is this the first time that they have all been included in the same Scotland squad?
    Yes as Fletch would have been way too young the last time Deeks was in the squad.

First Team Breakthrough cockneymike's Avatar
    Although not a home grown talent; there is also captain calamity Calwell in there too.

I wonder if Ian Murray could also get back in at some stage this season, if he was playing regularly I'd imagine he'd have to be there or there abouts?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cockneymike View Post
    Although not a home grown talent; there is also captain calamity Calwell in there too.

I wonder if Ian Murray could also get back in at some stage this season, if he was playing regularly I'd imagine he'd have to be there or there abouts?
    Left back is such an obvious problem position for Scotland that I'm amazed Burley isn't casting the net a bit wider - Murray and Shotgun should both have a shout.

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Yes as Fletch would have been way too young the last time Deeks was in the squad.

thought so, wasnt sure about under 21's etc though

@hibs.net private member
    Absolutely something to be proud of - that's more than a quarter of this squad that's come through the youth ranks of ONE Club - our very own Hibernian FC - that's about 3 times as many as any SPL club would have a right to expect - quite an amazing achievement really and with the latest lot coming through the signs are hopefull that this is no flash in the pan.

PS - if you added Kenny Miller to that total and Ian Murray managed to win a recall then that would be more than one in three of the Scotland squad coming through the Hibs ranks - and that's not counting Caldwell who made his senior breakthrough at Hibs after developing as a youth with Newcastle, or Broadfoot, who was a youth at Hibs but never made the breakthrough.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    Left back is such an obvious problem position for Scotland that I'm amazed Burley isn't casting the net a bit wider - Murray and Shotgun should both have a shout.
    I'd imagine Fox will now be first choice left back.

Murray, Dixon and Wallace are all surely decent contenders.

If Ian Murray's form keeps up and they bring Kenny Miller back team could be

Gordon
    ------
    Whittaker
    Caldwell

McManus
    Murray
    ------
    Thomson
    Brown
    ------
    Riordan
    O'Connor
    Miller
    Fletcher

4-2-4 if it works for Yogi?................

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post

That great, another Englishman who gets no where near his own National team so plays for Scotland. Shame as he is keeping out good young Scottish players, as mentioned in the post, Wallace or Dixon

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    As a solo does this make Deeks a Gold Member ?

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaeHibby View Post

Shirley Whitty has got that nailed down after the last couple of games.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Ultimately, I think the more Hibs players we see in the Scotland side, the less there will be from other sides.

I think it says more about the dearth of talent and ability in Scottish football that our 'golden generation' is being talked up so much.

Good players relative to the standard of player and standard of football that Scotland has generally produced in the last 10 years.

None of our golden generation would have got a sniff of a Scotland squad 25 years ago.

Credit to our youth policy and the players themselves for being the best of a mediocre lot. I'm not saying they weren't worth the money, the moves, or their places in the Scotland set-up. But that's only because a bottle of water's worth a lot more in a drought than a rainstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Ultimately, I think the more Hibs players we see in the Scotland side, the less there will be from other sides.

DUH!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinger View Post
    I think it says more about the dearth of talent and ability in Scottish football that our 'golden generation' is being talked up so much.

Good players relative to the standard of player and standard of football that Scotland has generally produced in the last 10 years.

None of our golden generation would have got a sniff of a Scotland squad 25 years ago.

Credit to our youth policy and the players themselves for being the best of a mediocre lot. I'm not saying they weren't worth the money, the moves, or their places in the Scotland set-up. But that's only because a bottle of water's worth a lot more in a drought than a rainstorm.
    Hmm - so neither Riordan, O'Connor or Fletcher would have any chance of ousting Frank McGarvey?
    Whittaker vs Albiston?
    Thomson vs Bett?

I think you're making sweeping statements here and don't think things would be quite so clear cut as you're suggesting.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Randerson_4 View Post
    That great, another Englishman who gets no where near his own National team so plays for Scotland. Shame as he is keeping out good young Scottish players, as mentioned in the post, Wallace or Dixon

It's crap ... don't know wallace personally, but I'm pretty sure he's as scottish as they come. Meanwhile, some lad who almost certainly grew up supporting England, and probably still supports England, gets in through the granny door. P!sses me off. Whatever folks might say about mcgreedy, you can be pretty sure that at least he's probably always supported Ireland.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Hypothetically, I wonder how many caps these guys would have amassed if they were still plying their trade at ER?

If a 39 year old Davie Weir were playing for anyone else than an Old Firm club up here would he have got a look in at the Scotland setup? I really don't think so...

Testimonial Due bighairyfaeleith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

I never thought of it that way

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clerriehibs View Post
    It's crap ... don't know wallace personally, but I'm pretty sure he's as scottish as they come. Meanwhile, some lad who almost certainly grew up supporting England, and probably still supports England, gets in through the granny door. P!sses me off. Whatever folks might say about mcgreedy, you can be pretty sure that at least he's probably always supported Ireland.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    That crop were a once in a lifetime and i dont think we will have the need to thrust 6 or 7 youngsters into the team as we had to do under Williamson.

Just goes to show though
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    Hmm - so neither Riordan, O'Connor or Fletcher would have any chance of ousting Frank McGarvey?
    Whittaker vs Albiston?
    Thomson vs Bett?
    You're using some really bad examples there.

Frank Mcgarvey was a simple goal-getting striker...and that's all he done...put the ball in the back of the net. He done well for Celtic and his achievements shouldn't be sneezed at.

Arthur Albiston is far better defender than Whittaker will ever be. To be honest they are completely different roles nowadays and whittaker has failed in his role a lot more times in a green shirt than Albiston ever did in for his club or country.

Jim Bett was one of the most skillful players to play for Aberdeen. His talents are so easilly forgotten over the passage of time...he could do things with his feet that thommo could only dream of!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Naw PSN ID: Naw Wii Code: Naw
    Quote Originally Posted by rightwinger View Post

I think you're a bit harsh there IMO.

I think the money from TV in England turned their heads elsewhere and sniffed only at Scotland in ensuing years

There has been talent here, but unfortunately not always recognised or "glamorous enough"

That these players are still on the scene after 5 years shows their talent IMO

GGTTH