hibs.net Messageboard

Gordon Smith: Lifelong Jambo?

In a letter today discussing the Hearts Hall of Fame a correspondent claims that Gordon Smith was a Lifelong Jambo. Seems odd. If I remember correctly he came to Hibs from Dundee North End and had started life in the Montrose area.

In these days there was a strange tendency to support your local team.

2. Log in to remove the advert

It's covered in the great mans own words in the book Sunshine on Leith by Simon Pia.

I don't have it to hand, but I think it says yes he was a Hearts fan growing up, but he was a hibby forever after.

Think he did grow up as a Hearts fan, stretching it a bit to describe him as a life long Jambo. Football players are very rarely real football supporters.

Left by mutual consent! Phil D. Rolls's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's covered in the great mans own words in the book Sunshine on Leith by Simon Pia.

I don't have it to hand, but I think it says yes he was a Hearts fan growing up, but he was a hibby forever after.

Never understood how he came to support Hearts though, was his father from Edinburgh?

First Team Breakthrough
    Always struck me where 2 of our greatest ever greats hailed from....... Smith was from Montrose , Johnstone from Selkirk.....not exactly footballing hotbeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Filled Rolls View Post

Never understood how he came to support Hearts though, was his father from Edinburgh?
    Smith himself was born in Edinburgh - I think the family moved up to Montrose sometime afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post

A bit like John Robertson but the other way round.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JC50 View Post
    A bit like John Robertson but the other way round.
    Was funny hearing Robbo talk about who the rest of his family support - George his brother a big Hibee. And perhaps news to some (only me?) Robbos son is a Hibee!. Said he had to wear a hat and moustache to buy him a Hibs strip from the Hibs shop.

You can say what you like about Robbo (and many do) but he spoke out against the Mercer takeover bid and attended the Hands Off Hibs meeting in the Usher Hall. Took balls to stand up against Mercer and his stance IMO.

Sounds like he would have been hounded out the family if he didn't mind!

Still a wee get tho'... Come on Deeks/Stokes get tore into his Derby scoring record.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    In a letter today discussing the Hearts Hall of Fame a correspondent claims that Gordon Smith was a Lifelong Jambo. Seems odd. If I remember correctly he came to Hibs from Dundee North End and had started life in the Montrose area.

In these days there was a strange tendency to support your local team.

The Merrick's at it, Septimus.

If Smith was a 'life-long Jambo' - and he was far too much of a gentleman to be so - maybe the twonk can explain why he was seen at ER regularly right up to the time ill-health prevented him from attending games?

He had the pub, the 'Right Wing', on Willowbrae Road. So he DID support his local team after all.

As for Robbo - let's not link the sublime Smith with the globular gonk, shall we, guys?
    Last edited by --------; 30-09-2009 at 10:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by loko View Post
    You can say what you like about Robbo (and many do) but he spoke out against the Mercer takeover bid and attended the Hands Off Hibs meeting in the Usher Hall. Took balls to stand up against Mercer and his stance IMO.
    I played in a charity cricket match in the late-80s, the event was supported by both Hearts and Hibs. Robbo had been transferred to Newcastle shortly before and he honoured his agreement to play to represent Hearts - Tommy McIntyre was our rep.

The programme contained messages of support from both clubs. When Robbo was flicking through the programme and came across WM's message, his face darkened and he pretended to spit on the page! He then joked about not telling the press he had just done that!

If I had known he would come back again to haunt us I would have tried even harder to hit him where it hurts when bowling to him

My father and I were in Princesmall when Gordon Smith's son was playing the piano and he saw 'his' hero watching from the gallery. He was so awe struck I had to go over and ask for his autograph!

In quite a long conversation GS talked about his career, the thrill of winning the championship with Dundee his regret at not winning the Scottish cup and his deep and enduring love of Hibs - a real gentleman.

I remember his words distinctly when he said that Hibs "rightful place was at the very top of Scottish football" and that it was "one of the great clubs of World football". As I get older and live outwith Scotland I understand what he meant by greateness not size but contribution, values and its ethos.

In those terms this club we are priviledged to support and be a part of is truly 'great' as was its finest player - a wonderful human being.

P.s My father was in his late sixties at the time.
    Last edited by McIntosh; 30-09-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    The Merrick's at it, Septimus.

He had the pub, the 'Right Wing', on Willowbrae Road. So he DID support his local team after all.

IIRC the pub sign had four jerseys shown on it all with a 7 on the back. Hibs, Hearts, Dundee and Scotland. Good marketing move!

Its well noted the great Gordon Smith was a hearts fan and was due to sign for them, til the Cabbage come in for him. He repaid us by duly scoring a barreload against them ...and I believe, thereafter, was a hearts follower no more. He of course played for them later, and Dundee but, like all clever people, his heart remained at Easter Road.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    My father and I were in Princesmall when Gordon Smith's son was playing the piano and he saw 'his' hero watching from the gallery. He was so awe struck I had to go over and ask for his autograph!

In quite a long conversation GS talked about his career, the thrill of winning the championship with Dundee his regret at not winning the Scottish cup and his deep and enduring love of Hibs - a real gentleman.

I remember his words distinctly when he said that Hibs "rightful place was at the very top of Scottish football" and that it was "one of the great clubs of World football". As I get older and live outwith Scotland I understand what he meant by greateness not size but contribution, values and its ethos.

In those terms this club we are priviledged to support and be a part of is truly 'great' as was its finest player - a wonderful human being.

P.s My father was in his late sixties at the time.
    Seemed a really good guy. Just a shame there isn't more footage of him in action.

Faxed Back to Kaunas
    Don't have my copy of Stewart Brown's 'Hibernian Greats' to hand, but in the chapter on Smith he states that when he signed for Hearts after leaving Hibs he was wary of the reaction of the Hearts fans because despite being a Hearts fans as a kid he had long since become a 'fanatical Hibs supporter' due to nearly 20 years at Easter Road.

The letter writers is clearly just a desperate yam hoping to confer some class on his club. An impossible task.

Quote Originally Posted by Alicky Ranks View Post
    Don't have my copy of Stewart Brown's 'Hibernian Greats' to hand, but in the chapter on Smith he states that when he signed for Hearts after leaving Hibs he was wary of the reaction of the Hearts fans because despite being a Hearts fans as a kid he had long since become a 'fanatical Hibs supporter' due to nearly 20 years at Easter Road.

The letter writers is clearly just a desperate yam hoping to confer some class on his club. An impossible task.
    Little aside about Stewart Brown his nickname in the North Bridge was Stewart Green!

Another good man, very brave in dealing with his final illness.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by McIntosh View Post
    Little aside about Stewart Brown his nickname in the North Bridge was Stewart Green!

Another good man, very brave in dealing with his final illness.

IIRC, Stewart covered Hibs for the EEN, and John Ayres covered Hearts.

I must have read just about every word Stewart wrote about the Cabbage in the 1960's and 1970's - a very fine journalist and a very fine man. Every match-day, there he would be, centre-front of the old Main Stand, missing absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    IIRC, Stewart covered Hibs for the EEN, and John Ayres covered Hearts.

I must have read just about every word Stewart wrote about the Cabbage in the 1960's and 1970's - a very fine journalist and a very fine man. Every match-day, there he would be, centre-front of the old Main Stand, missing absolutely nothing.
    And a very good footballers agent(before they existed).

@hibs.net private member

After all, they did win the war you know!

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Aye, I've been told he helped bring a few good players to ER in his day.

A football writer of the old school - in other words he knew football and football people, he knew footballers, and he could communicate his knowledge to the reader clearly and honestly.

Unlike some of the whores with typewriters we have to thole nowadays.

@hibs.net private member

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser1962 View Post

Well, you should know, Kaiser.

It was YOUR war where they manned the entire Western Front, wasn't it?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus View Post
    IIRC the pub sign had four jerseys shown on it all with a 7 on the back. Hibs, Hearts, Dundee and Scotland. Good marketing move!
    Which is now sadly boarded up - cracking pub too

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WormyEel
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedmanoncrack View Post
    Think he did grow up as a Hearts fan, stretching it a bit to describe him as a life long Jambo. Football players are very rarely real football supporters.
    I have heard the stories about Gordon being a Yam, but I was surprised when speaking to Tommy Preston that he is a Yam. in his words, he was very proud to be held in high regard by Hibs Fans and what he achieved when a Hibs player but.................when push comes to shove..........he is one of them

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Quoted for truth, Jim Brown, Ralph Callachan and one, George Best by all accounts were products of his handy work.

A fine man indeed.